3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline High Temp ATF in the Powersteering....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Flushed my PS fluid today, I used OEM fluid just thought I'd show how it was done, I did it the way DCmodels said to flush the fluid.

Supported the front on jack stands and blocked the rear wheels, then I disconnected the rubber return line in front by the bumper, as seen in the diagram and allowed all the old fluid to drain out.

I then plugged the end of the hose, as pictured, and put a hose clamp on it. I used a 3/8" drill bit to plug it, just the smooth end of the drill bit in the hose I left the sharp parts sticking out of it I didn't have a bolt that would fit.

I ran a 3/8" hose (had some extra laying around) off the metal return line down there out from under the car to my drain box. Didn't use any clamps on it just slid it on.

Then I stuck a big funnel in the reservoir and filled it back up. If you don't plug the return line end that is disconnected like I mentioned the fluid is going to just run out from gravity through the reservoir.

Then I put the car in neutral, insert key move to ACC, depress brake (I have an AT) and put the selector in neutral. This is one of the reasons I had the rear wheels blocked with 4x4s I only had the front supported by stands.

I was then able to turn the steering wheel freely and it worked just like DCmodels said it would, new fluid was pulled into the system and the old stuff was captured in my drain box. I kept topping up the fluid and draining it out by turning the steering wheel.

In total I went through 3 3/4 bottles of fluid (12oz. each) then I removed the plug (I had the fluid in the reservoir below where the return line connects to it) and the 3/8 hose that I had connected and re-connected the return hose that goes in front and put the clamps back on it.

Then refilled the reservoir again and turned the steering wheel again, I went through another 12 oz. of fluid (1x bottle) at this point since the new fluid had to fill the return lines again.

Buttoned the car back up and put it on the floor, ran it and the fluid went down a bit more so I had to drive to a dealership and buy some more fluid since I was out, got the level inbetween the min and max lines and now it's good.

In total I put a little over 5 bottles (12oz. each) into the system doing this.

Definitely seems like the right way to do this, a lot better than the baster method or the method in the FSM.

Pic to help, if anyone else looks at doing this, probably the easiest and safest way to flush the power steering system.
Attached Thumbnails Redline High Temp ATF in the Powersteering....-drain-fill.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2 months using Redline high temp ATF with 2ozs of ZDDP additive in my PS and no noise and no leaks. The steering feels like it did with the Acura/Honda fluid and the fluid is still red. So far so good. I'll update this post in a couple of months with good or bad news
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can or would it be safe to use Redline Power Steering fluid ?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Security Dude

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A couple people on here have done it, but I dont think they have ran it for a time period worth saying you would be fine.

I would just use factory or a synthetic rated for honda and acura if you want to change it out
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I haven't looked at it in a long time but I believe it's thinner than OEM. That may or may not be a bad thing. Is the OEM fluid thick to make up for a crappy base oil? Most likely. Will a thinner but very high quality base oil and additive package protect as well or better than OEM, probably.

I don't want to say it's fine since I haven't personally tested it but I don't think I would have any issues with running it. I ran Amsoil for years which is quite a bit thinner than stock. In fact, I think I went over 70,000 miles on Amsoil.

In the end, these oils are more similar than different. The thinner Redline fluid in a moderate summer might be just as thick as the OEM fluid in a more hot summer. The fluid goes through such a huge viscosity change from hot to cold, and the system is more than capable of handling it.

I would suspect if viscosity were an issue with the power steering system, there would be two different specs for cars sold in cold climates vs hot climates. I would do it but I can't recommend it because I haven't tried it. I don't even want to recommend the fluid being used in this thread even though I've had nothing but great results with it just because I would feel bad if someone's system went out. Plus, with all of the high mileage >100,000 mile transmissions going out and the aftermarket fluid automatically getting the blame based on ignorance, I'm not going down that road again lol.

But yeah, I would do it.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I haven't looked at it in a long time but I believe it's thinner than OEM. That may or may not be a bad thing. Is the OEM fluid thick to make up for a crappy base oil? Most likely. Will a thinner but very high quality base oil and additive package protect as well or better than OEM, probably.

I don't want to say it's fine since I haven't personally tested it but I don't think I would have any issues with running it. I ran Amsoil for years which is quite a bit thinner than stock. In fact, I think I went over 70,000 miles on Amsoil.

In the end, these oils are more similar than different. The thinner Redline fluid in a moderate summer might be just as thick as the OEM fluid in a more hot summer. The fluid goes through such a huge viscosity change from hot to cold, and the system is more than capable of handling it.

I would suspect if viscosity were an issue with the power steering system, there would be two different specs for cars sold in cold climates vs hot climates. I would do it but I can't recommend it because I haven't tried it. I don't even want to recommend the fluid being used in this thread even though I've had nothing but great results with it just because I would feel bad if someone's system went out. Plus, with all of the high mileage >100,000 mile transmissions going out and the aftermarket fluid automatically getting the blame based on ignorance, I'm not going down that road again lol.

But yeah, I would do it.
I've got it in my PS and it seems fine, so I'm guessing if we're wrong we'll find out soon enough, its not that much of a gamble in my opinion as Redline is some the best lubricant you can get. I did add 2ozs. of break in additive per qt. though for a little extra anti wear protection.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1KLRTOY
I've got it in my PS and it seems fine, so I'm guessing if we're wrong we'll find out soon enough, its not that much of a gamble in my opinion as Redline is some the best lubricant you can get. I did add 2ozs. of break in additive per qt. though for a little extra anti wear protection.
I agree but if you recommend a fluid around here you'll have people blaming the fluid for a whine on their 400,000 mile TLs lol. Recommending a fluid is a mistake I'll never make again. It's your turn lol.

I have faith in the fluid we're using. I think a year and a half is enough time that a leak would show itself and that's the only thing I would worry about. I'm sure this ATF is waaaay better than the factory PSF. You should be better off with the additive. I think I'm going to not use the additive since you are just to see if yours lasts longer. Obviously it's just two cars so the number is really too low to draw any conclusions unless both failed right away which we know hasn't and won't happen.

About the fluid, I think Mark was talking about the actual Redline Powersteering fluid and not the ATF.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Maybe you and I are the only ones using RL in the PS, I read what you had said about it and thank you for doing the research,I know about RL products and have used them since the early 80's, a bit expensive but well worth the cost considering the replacement cost of a transmission or a new rack, I even use RL in my 86 Mazda B2000's trans and diff, good stuff. Your right about recommending a fluid, folks have to decide on their own. I was new to Acura and this forum and the info I found here has been priceless and I'm sure added miles and years to my 06 TL. Thanks again for the info you've posted
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by xxx_busa
Can or would it be safe to use Redline Power Steering fluid ?
I don't think anyone can really definitively answer this question, but here is some info that you might find of interest. CARDONE, one of the largest aftermarket makers of replacement power steering pumps and racks (I think racks), has independently tested various PS fluids - because they say poor quality PS fluids have been responsible for significant failed returns on their products.

So CARDONE has two comments:

1) use a PS fluid that is recommended by the car manuf, or meets the OEM recommendation. Now, CARDONE makes replacement PS pumps for most cars, so basically CARDONE is saying that any PS fluid recommended by any car manuf would be OK in a CARDONE replacement pump (my interpretation), and by extension, would be OK in your OEM PS pump. I mean, do you think that CARDONE is really going to make the replacement pump for a Honda, require different fluid than a CARDONE pump for a GM or Ford?

2) CARDONE has provided a list of PS fluids that they have independently tested, as shown in this link - and RedLine PS fluid is on that list:
http://www.cardone.com/docs/product-pgs/WebApprovedPSfluids.doc

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-13-2014 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1KLRTOY (06-14-2014)
Old 01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Instructor

2 months using Redline high temp ATF with 2ozs of ZDDP additive in my PS and no noise and no leaks. The steering feels like it did with the Acura/Honda fluid and the fluid is still red. So far so good. I'll update this post in a couple of months with good or bad news
Well its been one year using Redline high temp with 2ozs of ZDDP (Redline break in additive) per qt. in my power steering and everything is fine, the fluid is still red but not as red as when I started. The results sure show that it can be used in our PS systems with no ill effects. Thanks again to IHC for trying it first.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the update, glad it's working out for you. I think I'm around 2 years now and I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. It definitely goes to show that all of the scare tactics Honda used to get us to use their fluids in the power steering and transmission were just that.... scare tactics.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Team Owner

I had a long post typed up but as always lately, if I walk away from the computer for 5 minutes and come back and hit reply I have to log back in and everything is lost.

Cliffs Notes: 2.5 years later, ATF in the Power Steering is still doing great. No change from last time. Use it if you want to save a little money over OEM fluid and get better performance.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Well its been one year using Redline high temp with 2ozs of ZDDP (Redline break in additive) per qt. in my power steering and everything is fine, the fluid is still red but not as red as when I started. The results sure show that it can be used in our PS systems with no ill effects. Thanks again to IHC for trying it first.
One and a half years here and all is well with the power steering.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
have either of you done any drain/re-fill with clean fluid in that time period? or still running the original fluid you put in?

I may do this to my accord, since it seems everything is going well for you guys
Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mzilvar
have either of you done any drain/re-fill with clean fluid in that time period? or still running the original fluid you put in?

I may do this to my accord, since it seems everything is going well for you guys
I have not flushed the system since the first flush but will be doing it again soon, I've only gone 4.5k since, but the fluid still looks good but not as red as it was.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

I haven't touched mine since 2012 and it's still bright red. I bought a gallon so it tempts me to change it everything I walk past it but I've resisted.

1KLRTOY, I wonder if it's that additive causing yours to slightly change in color. Moly, zinc, and especially phosphorus can darken a little over time just from heat cycling. I'm tempted to never change the fluid and only the filter every 50k miles or so.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor

You may be right about the additive, when I flush it again I am going to use straight ATF, seems like you have shown it works just fine without adding anything.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone here tried Red Line High Temp in any of their other Hondas?

My '05 TL just underwent the 90k service, and at the time the shop determined that the PS pump was failing. Replaced with OEM pump and OEM Honda PSF. Due to everything being more compact under the hood, I can see how/why a higher quality synthetic fluid should be the call here. Already running RL D4 ATF in the transmission.

I just had my '98 Honda Odyssey's 160k service (basically 2nd timing belt change) + PSF change. I'm not pleased with how the PSF change came out - I think the shop put in too much fluid (as indicated by the upper limit line). The PS "clunks" or "chunks" at the end of the arc in both directions - turkey-basting some of the excess PSF has helped, but symptoms still persist. If/when I take it back, I might consider the RL HT ATF.

Thoughts or comments or experiences are appreciated.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Instructor

4 years and 15k with Redline Hi-Temp transmission fluid in my PS and no problems, leaks or noise, I would have to say it works just fine in our PS systems
Old 10-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I'd chime in.

Sold my '05 TL, but always wanted to try Red Line High-Temp ATF in a Honda P/S system. Swapped it out in my '98 Honda Odyssey and it works great so far (have had it in there for a week now).