3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received a new motor today... what do you think.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I've got a low end knock that's getting worse. It's our primary vehicle so I just want to swap it out. I've got a junk yard less than 5mi from here that has one with 47K for $1.5K.
damn.. Have you scoped the pistons yet? I assume you run 91+ religiously. That's a real bummer if it is knock. I'd trade her in or at least get an evaluation for a trade. It would be interesting to find out if timing is being pulled and by how much.

Originally Posted by TLdream
I had some Hoosier DR's on some 16" wheels.
That's it? What was your 60'? Are you an AT or MT? Poly mounts? You should've had that on video.. Most guys don't break 14 unless they're FI or on the bottle.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
damn.. Have you scoped the pistons yet? I assume you run 91+ religiously. That's a real bummer if it is knock. I'd trade her in or at least get an evaluation for a trade. It would be interesting to find out if timing is being pulled and by how much.
This is for my Honda Pilot, not my TL. I am just looking at the worse case scenario and haven't dropped the pan or looked at anything internally yet.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There is a type s 3.5 block for sale on eBay going for $100. Missing one piston though. Need spares?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
This is for my Honda Pilot, not my TL. I am just looking at the worse case scenario and haven't dropped the pan or looked at anything internally yet.
I know you're talking about your Pilot. I have an '03 MDX and I'd be heart broken if she started to ping / knock. It would be cheaper to get the heads machined & rebuild the piston/s. I would scope the piston heads and look for signs of knock. Autozone might be able to do it but you need to pull the plugs. You could buy a borescope at Harbor Freight for $50 and check it out yourself, the rears will be a PITA especially since the $50 scope is only two feet long, you could spend another $50 and get video feed scope instead. If the low end knock dissipates after you have it running for a while then it might be piston slap. I hope things don't deteriorate in your situation. If anything.. a rebuild will probably be cheaper, especially if you DIY and find reputable shops to work with you on it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
I know you're talking about your Pilot. I have an '03 MDX and I'd be heart broken if she started to ping / knock. It would be cheaper to get the heads machined & rebuild the piston/s. I would scope the piston heads and look for signs of knock. Autozone might be able to do it but you need to pull the plugs. You could buy a borescope at Harbor Freight for $50 and check it out yourself, the rears will be a PITA especially since the $50 scope is only two feet long, you could spend another $50 and get video feed scope instead. If the low end knock dissipates after you have it running for a while then it might be piston slap. I hope things don't deteriorate in your situation. If anything.. a rebuild will probably be cheaper, especially if you DIY and find reputable shops to work with you on it.
Thanks. I don't think it's detonation. It is worse when cold, but the weird thing that I start the engine and it sounds fine. But when I gas it in park, the knocking immediately comes on. Then it sounds like a damn diesel. As it warms up it does quiet down, but it is always there.

I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from yet but it seems like it's piston slap. The performance is still good but the noise just drives me crazy.