rear-wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

rear-wheel drive

This is what this car is really missing...any chance acura will ever go to rear-wheel drive for their TL model? Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:44 PM
Safety Car

i dun think so honda has rarely made a rear wheel drive car besides the nsx and the s2000 because those are designed as pure sports cars. also if they were to change the TL to rwd it would require quite a big design change which means $$$ spent in R&D. if you look at the numbers the TL is selling great so there is no need to change things when sales are good. there has been speculation that the 2006(i dunno where people get this info) will get sh-awd, i belive its all BS and people are just claiming this because they are hoping for it. my belief is that it will not be offered until the next design change or until sales of the TL are slumping to competitors offering awd.
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:55 PM
You touch my tra la la...

The only change the TL could ever see is SH-AWD.
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:55 PM

The only change the TL could ever see in its drivetrain layout is SH-AWD.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by caball88
i dun think so honda has rarely made a rear wheel drive car besides the nsx and the s2000 because those are designed as pure sports cars. also if they were to change the TL to rwd it would require quite a big design change which means $$$ spent in R&D. if you look at the numbers the TL is selling great so there is no need to change things when sales are good. there has been speculation that the 2006(i dunno where people get this info) will get sh-awd, i belive its all BS and people are just claiming this because they are hoping for it. my belief is that it will not be offered until the next design change or until sales of the TL are slumping to competitors offering awd.
I believe they will go to sh-awd without a doubt. If they were smart, they would do it ASAP before they lose the momentum that the TL has created over the last several months. If they wait any longer than 2006, it might be too late already.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:35 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by Rob63
This is what this car is really missing...any chance acura will ever go to rear-wheel drive for their TL model? Any thoughts?
The TL overcomes this 'handicap' remarkably well.

I'm sure SHAWD is in the cards. Maybe 2006, but who knows?
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by apwalsh
I believe they will go to sh-awd without a doubt. If they were smart, they would do it ASAP before they lose the momentum that the TL has created over the last several months. If they wait any longer than 2006, it might be too late already.
if the sales do drop because more buyers want awd on the car i belive that honda will incorporate it. but i doubt that they will add it as an option to please the enthusiast crowd. if you were honda would you cut into your profit margin to introduce sh-awd in a car that was already selling like hotcakes? i don't think so. honda is a big business and the bottom line is $$$$. since the new RL is getting the sh-awd it would even make more sense to keep it out of the TL. why would someone pay 15K more for the RL when the TL has the same features the RL will have? this will canabolize their own RL sale.
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:56 PM
Retired MOD

RWD never.....SH-AWD likely
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If SH-AWD is as good as those professionals have evaluated, yes, I'll get one although it's the options with $5k more. Let's wait and see what's going to happen on 05RL...
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rob63
When the ACCORD goes RWD (which will never happen) the TL will go RWD. There is a slim chance of AWD but the price will then be 40k and the car will weight about 3800-3900 lbs.

The TL is going to sell 70k units a year this year. Clearly it has found a market for people who like the car with FWD. Why change it?
Old 06-30-2004 | 07:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I can see a Type S having AWD in 2-3 years.
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

AWD is what made Subaru and Audi (Quatro) the car company's that they are today. Public perception is that AWD is much better (and it is).
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When the ACCORD goes RWD (which will never happen) the TL will go RWD. There is a slim chance of AWD but the price will then be 40k and the car will weight about 3800-3900 lbs.

The TL is going to sell 70k units a year this year. Clearly it has found a market for people who like the car with FWD. Why change it?
Correction; the TL WILL recieve SH-AWD. Its just a matter of time... and it might not even be until 4G. But definitely by 4G. The 4G TL will definitely push 300 HP, if not break it, and they're not going to put that amount of power on an FWD platform, especially when they need to compete with the BMW and G35 as far as handling and drivetrain goes. Heck, they may put it on FWD but offer SH-AWD as an option, except Acura doesn't nickle and dime their customers, so it would be unlikely to me to see options like drivetrain added (usually everything is standard). Both competitors I mention offer AWD but primarily run on a RWD platform. Within 4 years if Acura wants to compete with that, they'll need SH-AWD on their cars.
Old 06-30-2004 | 10:19 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

RWD is much more fun than FWD although not as practical. I wonder if the new AWD system will be more fun than just the FWD because it still has a FWD bias. It would be great to have a RWD platform with AWD capability with the ability to turn AWD off. Then you could do stuff like this guy:

http://www.dgtrials.com/g35wheels/erik_g35.mpeg

Looks fun!
Old 06-30-2004 | 02:16 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by EZZ
RWD is much more fun than FWD although not as practical. I wonder if the new AWD system will be more fun than just the FWD because it still has a FWD bias. It would be great to have a RWD platform with AWD capability with the ability to turn AWD off. Then you could do stuff like this guy:

Looks fun!
Thanks for reminding me of how I miss rear wheel drive!
Old 06-30-2004 | 03:00 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NightRider
Thanks for reminding me of how I miss rear wheel drive!
:P

I actually haven't tried drifting yet in my G-coupe because the tires are waaaay expensive ($250 a pop) I live in So-Cal so RWD is a must here!
Old 06-30-2004 | 03:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by EZZ

Looks fun!
EZZ was that you?

Dude that guy has skills. Near the end, did you guys see the smoothness of the drifting?! I have to rent out a track like that some time. That would be a blast.
Old 06-30-2004 | 03:19 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tlguy99
EZZ was that you?

Dude that guy has skills. Near the end, did you guys see the smoothness of the drifting?! I have to rent out a track like that some time. That would be a blast.
Nope. That was definitely not me. That guy really has some skills. I didn't think anyone could drift a G like that...he was phenominol.
Old 06-30-2004 | 06:55 PM
Drifting

yay, another rwd person. There is another thread about this. The regular everyday driver will not know the difference. If you plan on taking your car to the track every weekend, great but I don't think it is in Acura's best interest for its marjority of demographics.
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I could not agree with you more. As TL owners we must understand the role that the Accord plays in the development in our car. Is it any wonder that Honda introduces the Accord to the US market one year before the TL. Also, the technolgy in the new RL, at least for purposures of our current generation is for the "halo" car. Don't get me wrong, but I will refer to my car occasionally as a Honda having owned the company's products for many years including a lawnmower. I am still pround that Honda is on of the best engine manufacturers.

As to Honda's tranny problems my answer, they give engines to GM for Saturn Vue, GM in turn gives its sterling transmission reputation to Honda
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Correction; the TL WILL recieve SH-AWD. Its just a matter of time... and it might not even be until 4G. But definitely by 4G. The 4G TL will definitely push 300 HP, if not break it, and they're not going to put that amount of power on an FWD platform, especially when they need to compete with the BMW and G35 as far as handling and drivetrain goes. Heck, they may put it on FWD but offer SH-AWD as an option, except Acura doesn't nickle and dime their customers, so it would be unlikely to me to see options like drivetrain added (usually everything is standard). Both competitors I mention offer AWD but primarily run on a RWD platform. Within 4 years if Acura wants to compete with that, they'll need SH-AWD on their cars.
Kid, you cannot CORRECT someone without a fact. That is called a bullshit arguement. Try it in court if u like
THe TL is selling fast for Honda, it doesn't NEED AWD. It's not like the G35x is standard or the 330xi is standard. They are optional systems.
The TL is one car, Nav or no Nav, simple and straight put. Clearly people like it that way.