Sponsored by:

REALLY interested in buying a 2006 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hey guys, New member here
This forum ROCKS. Tons of useful info over here.

Now after looking for a car for the longest time, Im looking at this TL that has gotten my attention. 06 Acura TL with NAvi, Auto transmission. Exterior is in great condition. Has small scrapes on the front bumper, side doors and the back of the car is flawless. Inside the interior was in good condition. Leather had a ton of wrinkles but im looking to recondition it if i do buy it. What should i look for? Car has a clean title, has 89,678 miles, and got the carfax as well. In the car fax it states that the first owner bought it in 06 new, owned it for 3 years and 1 month. Drove the car 17,944 miles a year. sold it at 56k. 2nd owner bought it at 09 and drove it for 21,040 miles. First owner w as in iowa and the 2nd one was in wisconsin. I also see on the car fax that it was sold at a dealer auction, should I be worried. The powersteering hose was fixed at a acura dealership in 2008.

Dealer is asking 15k but got him down to 14,800. think i should bite the bullet and get it?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ctd/2678182626.html

edit: as far as a checklist, what should i look out for EXACTLY? specifically with this model what specific things should i look out for when i go for a test drive? thanks!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-06-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
well how come the link says its priced at 13999?

keep in mind major maintenance is at 105k mi (timing belt service).

what does KBB, nada, and edmund's say? what do other cars in your area that have similar features and miles go for?

usually auction vehicles, can be a little rougher than what comes off an used acura car lot. meaning if it was a lease turn in or trade, the dealer doesn't want to spend the money to recondition the vehicle to try and sell it on their lot. just get a pre-purchase inspection to make sure everything is good to go. does it have any service records? a clean carfax is a good start, but keep in mind it may not tell everything. not all body shops report to carfax, insurance companies might/do....

when you go test drive...play with everything to make sure it all works. check the fluids make sure they are clean and at the proper levels etc. make sure all the gaps are what they are suppose to be, paint finish matches around the vehicle, VINs on the body panels...test stop and go traffic, stops from hwy speeds...that's a short list.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 11-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM
7th Gear

repsolracer,

You might want to double check your numbers. The price in the link you posted is $13999
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
7th Gear

@whowhatwhere

wow Im gonna call out the dealer on that. he told me 14.8 but im gonna print out this ad and show him that price.. he has 2 ads priced at 14k.

@tltrigirl yes it does have a carfax service. IF you want I can pay for the carfax and you can maybe take a look at it and let me know what you think of it? All other tls for this year are priced 3-4k higher due to the low mileage.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

how serious are you about the car? is it at an indy dealer? i've always been sketchy of indy dealers...but that's just me.

kbb= a little more that $17k, edmund's ~$17k, nada $17,750 (granted this is for my area)...but gives you an idea. these numbers are based on a 06, AT with Navi with 90k mi. so $14k...seems like an incredible deal...makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the car. going rate for the car of comparable miles in my area is about $15-18k.

IF the car checks out, then its a great deal. i would still be suspicious of why its priced so low.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
how serious are you about the car? is it at an indy dealer? i've always been sketchy of indy dealers...but that's just me.

kbb= a little more that $17k, edmund's ~$17k, nada $17,750 (granted this is for my area)...but gives you an idea. these numbers are based on a 06, AT with Navi with 90k mi. so $14k...seems like an incredible deal...makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the car. going rate for the car of comparable miles in my area is about $15-18k.

IF the car checks out, then its a great deal. i would still be suspicious of why its priced so low.
Nope This guy is in Chicago. What is shady to me is that I was originally interested in the 06 maxima they had, my buddy checked the oil levels and they were 3X over the max line.. meaning that the oil was o verfilled with new oil.. prob a head gasket was blown on that car lol. Thats what I said, its priced really low. I dont see anything wrong with it conditionally, I have to still test drive it on monday to see how it drives. Should i drive it hard to see if it changes through the gears smoothly? tires are in good shape as well. From the carfax it shows that it was serviced regularly.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the big thing with this car is the tranny. the other "little" things like window switches and stuff...depends if you want to recondtiion the car to your liking. so that's something to factor in when getting the car so cheap. i wouldn't go apeshit or anything when you drive it....but give a good go on the accelerator to see how it responds. two sets of eyes are always better than one.

check out the car and then decide if you want to devote more effort in negotiating the price. no need to waste your time or the dealer's time negotiating on something before you've test driven it. pre-purchase inspection...get it to an acura dealer and have them look it over (if you really get serious). they can even run the VIN to make sure all the recalls were done.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
7th Gear

the big thing with this car is the tranny. the other "little" things like window switches and stuff...depends if you want to recondtiion the car to your liking. so that's something to factor in when getting the car so cheap. i wouldn't go apeshit or anything when you drive it....but give a good go on the accelerator to see how it responds. two sets of eyes are always better than one.

check out the car and then decide if you want to devote more effort in negotiating the price. no need to waste your time or the dealer's time negotiating on something before you've test driven it. pre-purchase inspection...get it to an acura dealer and have them look it over (if you really get serious). they can even run the VIN to make sure all the recalls were done.
Now that you brought it up, I will go ahead and do that. How much does a pre-purchase inspection cost? dealer is not negotiating the price, how can i get him to knock down on the price a bit more? im going to call him out on the ad and demand to start negotiating at 14k. if not he can kiss it lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

at the dealer...probably $125-150. hopefully the dealer you take it to has a reputable service dept. the sales depts from others experiences are a little...disappointing. on the service side of things... they will hopefully be nice and honest with you. most of them are...just know your stuff prior to and you should be fine. or just post on here and and i'm sure someone will be happy to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
repsolracer (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM
7th Gear

at the dealer...probably $125-150. hopefully the dealer you take it to has a reputable service dept. the sales depts from others experiences are a little...disappointing. on the service side of things... they will hopefully be nice and honest with you. most of them are...just know your stuff prior to and you should be fine. or just post on here and and i'm sure someone will be happy to chime in.
Thanks for the helpful info! I will look for a reputable acura dealership nearby and have it done after i negotiate with them on the price. Think its a good deal to grab it? how long does it take for them to do the inspection and what do they check for exactly?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i would think they do an inspection similar to one they do for CPO (check acura site under CPO inspection). so they look at ALL the mechanical stuff. it'll be like an hour or so for them to check everything (hopefully they do, they will if they are gonna try and earn future business from you). can't tell you yay or nay...you have to look at the car and see if it checks out. i'm always suspicious when something seems too good to be true. take your buddy with you and look it over...and make sure everything works (windows, sunroof, stereo, navi, mirrors (also in reverse, they tilt down), listen for noises when driving, feel for weird steering stuff (vibrations)...).
repsolracer (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM
7th Gear

sounds good. I will do that after the test drive . Any other issues I should look out for? thanks for the info, wheres the rep button?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
If everything looks good then I would do it. Generally speaking, these are great cars.
I have a 3G TL and also had a old legend, Acura(Honda)'s arent bad.

Welcome to AZ
repsolracer (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
If all goes well with the test drive and inspection I would pull the trigger, that's a good deal given the miles.

Good luck.
repsolracer (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
If all goes well with the test drive and inspection I would pull the trigger, that's a good deal given the miles.

Good luck.
Thing that is holding me back is that the maxima i was ORIGINALLY interested in had oil 3x over filled, def was a lemon according to my friend. But Hopefully this Acura has no surprises of any kind. Going to give it a good test drive and then get it checked by the acura dealership and see what happens tommorrow.