Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really better?

I'm picking up my 2004 Acura TL tomorrow (in Vancouver, Canada). My wife and I decided to purchase this vehicle because we're going to be putting high kilometres on it, so a new car made more sense than ourfirst choice, a used BMW X5. After test driving the Acura, it made more sense to buy brand new and get more options for the same price.

The question I've got it: Does it really outperform other cars? I've been reading countless reviews on how good this car is. I only drove it for 5 minutes, so I can't really form my own opinion. It's replacing a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta with sports suspension. I'm not really a car enthusiast, but I want to drive a car that has minimal problems, has power, and lots of toys (options)! One of the problems I had with the Jetta was the sense of tipping when going around corners at higher speeds. No idea why...

Have I made the right choice??
Old 09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the cult! I think you'll be highly satisfied with your choice. I've had my TL since February and I still smile every time I climb in. Power-wise, you're in fine shape......obviously there are faster, more powerful cars....but unless you're dead set on racing everybody and their brother, the TL has penty of power to get you where you want go....and get you OUT of the situations you don't want to be in. The ride is great, the "toys" are awesome.....and, as for the value you get for the dollars you spend.....there's nothing better! Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
What's a kilometer?

It outperforms a Yugo, does not outperform an Enzo. Lots of territory in that question. It is a fine car, but like any sedan, a compromise. I have dedicated sports cars for performance.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

The only thing that scares me is what I've been reading about torque steering. I had this problem with my Jetta (low profile tires mixed with lots of rain up here), and I didn't like it at all. Is this a serious problem with the TL? Or just when accelerating from 0-60 in 6 seconds?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well i am used to driving SUVs not sports cars, so for me it is very fast. It doesnt jump off the line but if you are driving 40mph and decide to kick it up and pass someone, it is incredibly easy. Same situation if you driving 65 on the highway..It has tons of mid range power. You never feel like it is out of juice. In my old car i had to floor it to pass people...
Old 09-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

if you get the 6MT version the TL really performs well. the engine springs to life when the need goes past the 4000 rpm marker.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

What is the 6MT version?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the torque steer may only be an issue (and from I've read, a minor issue at that) with the 6MT. I haven't noticed any problem with the 5AT.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If I had to select one word to describe the TL as a peformance sedan, it would probably be "capable". This is a very capable car for the driver who loves and appreciates fine performance sedans but is not of the mind to seriously push the car to the limits one might with an M3 or a CTS-V. With that in mind, I am comfortable with the word "capable".

Based upon the criteria you gave, I think you're going to love this car.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:42 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question for caball88. I have Integra GSR now, so I'm used to revving the higher RPM's. The Tach on the TL seemed like it went from 4000 to 6000 pretty quickly, so I'll probably end up going up high on the RPM's at first until I acclimate. On the 6MT, are there any protection circuits that will keep it from redlining?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmoore
Quick question for caball88. I have Integra GSR now, so I'm used to revving the higher RPM's. The Tach on the TL seemed like it went from 4000 to 6000 pretty quickly, so I'll probably end up going up high on the RPM's at first until I acclimate. On the 6MT, are there any protection circuits that will keep it from redlining?
yes there is a rev limiter on the car set at 6800. so if you keep your foot planted it will cut the fuel past that point. most people believe that the engineis capable of more than that and will spin past 6800 easily if the rev limiter is to be removed.