Rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004 | 09:02 AM
Racer

Rattles?

Anybody experiencing rattles from the passenger side while going over bumps? Is this a known problem?
Old 01-05-2004 | 09:40 AM
What's a TL?

I am....I think I notice one coming from the headliner and one from the glove compartment. I know there are threads about the glove compartment thing already. Which one are you experiencing??
Old 01-05-2004 | 09:52 AM
Racer

Glove compartment, I think... but also something from the left, which could be the headliner.
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:02 AM
10th Gear

headliner

The one in the headliner, that sounded like it was coming from the dash, is actually the wind deflector for the sun roof. You can stick your finger in between the headliner and the glass and feel the retracted deflector. This will stop the rattle. I put about a 1/2" piece fo felt under the deflector and it stopped completely
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

My car is a few days old and I have a couple rattles.

One is definitely coming from the passenger side map pocket on the door. When it's closed, it rattles, but if I open it at least one notch, it no longer rattles.

The other is definitely coming from the headliner between the overhead console and the moonroof. I've confirmed this by pulling down the passenger side visor and gently letting it snap back to the headliner, and it makes the same rattling noise I hear when driving normally. Oddly, the driver side visor does not exhibit this behavior.

I've started noticing one or two more intermittent rattles, but haven't been able to locate them just yet. I hope these are fairly isolated occurrences and that the dealer will fix them since I know precisely where the problems are.
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:29 AM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by andrewx2
My car is a few days old and I have a couple rattles.

How bad are the rattles? I'm fairly used to nasty rattles (I have a Mustang GT) but how bad are they. Are they audible over the stereo? Is it just when going over bumps?

I guess I will have to take whichever TL I purchase for an extended (highway) test drive before I sign the dotted line.
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:38 AM
What's a TL?

Re: headliner

Originally posted by bmw53003
The one in the headliner, that sounded like it was coming from the dash, is actually the wind deflector for the sun roof. You can stick your finger in between the headliner and the glass and feel the retracted deflector. This will stop the rattle. I put about a 1/2" piece fo felt under the deflector and it stopped completely

Thanks so much for the tip...I will try it out and advise.
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:43 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have a passenger side rattle when playing music -- I think it's also in the map pocket area and goes away when it's open a notch, just like yours.

I also have slight rattles in the steering column. This is usually when I go over bumps, and is audible over regular volume of music. Anyone else have something like this?
Old 01-05-2004 | 10:44 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Majorhouse
How bad are the rattles? I'm fairly used to nasty rattles (I have a Mustang GT) but how bad are they. Are they audible over the stereo? Is it just when going over bumps?

I guess I will have to take whichever TL I purchase for an extended (highway) test drive before I sign the dotted line.

The rattles I noted above are extremely minor. I had a 01 CL-S before this and it was much more prone to rattles. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so they bother me a bit, but if the radio is up at all, they are easily drowned out. Also, I have to keep in mind that my car was a very early build, so fit and finish continues to improve.
Old 01-05-2004 | 11:28 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
The rattles I noted above are extremely minor. I had a 01 CL-S before this and it was much more prone to rattles. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so they bother me a bit, but if the radio is up at all, they are easily drowned out. Also, I have to keep in mind that my car was a very early build, so fit and finish continues to improve.
Well, I've got rattles (passenger side and steering column) that are on my 21XXX car, which I just got on 1/4/04, so I think fit and finish continue to be a crapshoot.
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:06 PM
Racer

I am going to have this serviced. This should not happen on a new car, period.
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:09 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Lore
Well, I've got rattles (passenger side and steering column) that are on my 21XXX car, which I just got on 1/4/04, so I think fit and finish continue to be a crapshoot.
If it disturbs you so much, have you consulted your dealer?? What have they said??
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:29 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

If it disturbs you so much, have you consulted your dealer?? What have they said??
Not just yet; I just got the car yesterday and I've been busy with work since coming back after a long holiday break! =) I can take it to any dealer, right? The one that I bought it from is over an hour away.
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:38 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Lore
Not just yet; I just got the car yesterday and I've been busy with work since coming back after a long holiday break! =) I can take it to any dealer, right? The one that I bought it from is over an hour away.

Absolutely...take it to any dealer. When I had my CL I went to various dealers trying to get the rattles fixed. Oddly enough, each dealer had a very different take on where the rattles came from, and, thus fixed all possible areas. I wish you the best of luck....maybe your rattles will work themselves out as many peoples' seem to have done.
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:51 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Absolutely...take it to any dealer. When I had my CL I went to various dealers trying to get the rattles fixed. Oddly enough, each dealer had a very different take on where the rattles came from, and, thus fixed all possible areas. I wish you the best of luck....maybe your rattles will work themselves out as many peoples' seem to have done.
I just set up an appointment with Oakland Acura's service dept for Thursday. We'll see how they fix it, but for the time being I'm going to need to identify the music that causes the passenger side rattles.
Old 01-05-2004 | 12:52 PM
Racer

You can take it to either an Acura dealer or a Honda dealer. At least that is what I understand...
Old 01-05-2004 | 01:04 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Since I still need to take it in to the place of purchase later on for the Body Side Molding install, I can have them look at it too =) Try to have two independent eyes look at the rattling...
Old 01-05-2004 | 01:06 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by RhodeRunner
You can take it to either an Acura dealer or a Honda dealer. At least that is what I understand...
Not true... when I had the CL, I was told by two different Honda dealers that they were unable to perform warrenty work for Acuras...regular services they can do, but not warrented repairs.

I wish you could, though, because my local Honda dealers were great to me back in the day when I had my Accord...the Acura dealerships just are not as helpful/friendly.
Old 01-05-2004 | 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I agree. Not all of dealers are able to detect/fix your rattles. It will be lucky if you can find one out there.

Rattle in glove box...how to fix it?

The link above provides some useful tips if your rattle behind the glove box cannot be fixed by dealers. (My dealer works out all day, but cannot figure out where the rattle comes from and how to fix them...)
Old 01-06-2004 | 12:19 AM
Advanced

Re: headliner

hi bmw53003,

i have that rattle too, the one by the moonroof, u said you put a 1/2" piece of felt UNDER the deflector? does it affect the operation or effectiveness of the moonroof at all? i tried to feel the deflector you are saying, is it the metal one? just wana make sure im doing the right thing

Originally posted by bmw53003
Old 01-06-2004 | 12:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: headliner

Originally posted by zeicht
hi bmw53003,

i have that rattle too, the one by the moonroof, u said you put a 1/2" piece of felt UNDER the deflector? does it affect the operation or effectiveness of the moonroof at all? i tried to feel the deflector you are saying, is it the metal one? just wana make sure im doing the right thing

I do feel the noise from that deflector, especially a few minutes moment in cold weather after closing my moonroof. However, if I also close my inside cover, the noise and rattle could be well controlled.

A piece of felts seem to be a way to eliminate it. I'd like to know where would be the exactly good location to put them on since my stupid dealer couldn't figure out this issue.

A simple photo could be very helpful if possible. Thanks.