Rattle originating from left of steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005 | 12:10 AM
black on black on bla....

Rattle originating from left of steering wheel

it sounds like its coming from the left air vent to left of the steering wheel, only rattles when road is a little bumpy but it is extremely irritating. Does anyone else have this or no how to fix it. It might not be the vent thats just wear it sounds like its coming from
Old 01-28-2005 | 05:00 AM
Registered Member

Yes, mine's done this on occasion. I think it could be around the small tweeter close to the base of the windshield(??)
Old 01-28-2005 | 05:18 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Yes....this is VERY annoying...

Mine does the same thing, sounds almost if it is coming from the left tweeter as well. Have thought about whether or not to have the dealer fix it? I am hesitant to have them touch the dash in fear it may rattle worse.

I am dealing with that rattle and the rear deck rattle. Occasionally, the drivers seat belt rattle, and the glove box rattle.

I HATE RATTLES!!! LOL
Old 01-28-2005 | 06:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChRiS_nYc
it sounds like its coming from the left air vent to left of the steering wheel, only rattles when road is a little bumpy but it is extremely irritating. Does anyone else have this or no how to fix it. It might not be the vent thats just wear it sounds like its coming from
Had road test yesterday for same rattle. Left heat vent is rattling internally (air ventilation door) Move heat direction dial to far right and see what happens

LOL
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:30 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

I've had the exact same rattle start up within the last week (1200 miles on an '05 TL). It is intermittent. The first day it was very annoying. Since then it has quieted but it still pops up occasionally. I've found that by pressing on the vent, or the tweeter cover, or the dash beside the vent that I can usually make it go away.

Wht is the mileage and mfg date of the other TLs having this issue? I wonder if a bad batch came out. My car was made in Nov. '04.

-phil
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:32 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by nednj36
Left heat vent is rattling internally (air ventilation door) Move heat direction dial to far right and see what happens
Do you mean the on/off dial under the vent, or the direction "handle" on the vent?

-phil
Old 01-28-2005 | 09:11 AM
2015 Advance

Hmmm. I've had the same intermittent rattle... '05 TL with 2000 miles. I picked mine up the end of December. I'm not sure if it's the tweeter or the air vent.

-Eric
Old 01-28-2005 | 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Same Rattle

O5 TL here. Same rattle, driving me crazy. Seems to be coming from the drivers side vent. Plan to look at it closer theis weekend.
Old 01-28-2005 | 12:05 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

How could all of us have the same problem.....where is quality control? Are they deaf and just not here all these rattles or something? Something smells fishy to me..............
Old 01-28-2005 | 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilB
Do you mean the on/off dial under the vent, or the direction "handle" on the vent?

-phil
on/off dial with white marking
Old 01-28-2005 | 04:02 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
Yes....this is VERY annoying...

Mine does the same thing, sounds almost if it is coming from the left tweeter as well. Have thought about whether or not to have the dealer fix it? I am hesitant to have them touch the dash in fear it may rattle worse.

I am dealing with that rattle and the rear deck rattle. Occasionally, the drivers seat belt rattle, and the glove box rattle.

I HATE RATTLES!!! LOL

With the rear deck rattle try to push down on the rear deck with your palms especially to the left and right of the subwoofer. You should hear clip or clips snap. Try it and let me know if it works.
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:38 PM
Racer

I discovered a noise coming from the inner shroud around the guages. Not really a rattle but the sound of hard plastic on plastic rubbing. Try squeezing the pieces together when it's making the noise. If it goes away, that's the problem. You can wedge a small piece of plastic or cloth in the seams to keep it frfom moving.
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

my subwoofer rattles and its driving me nuts. Even on low volumes. I took to the dealer to get fixed and not only did they not fix the problem but they scratched the hell out of my drivers side passenger door jam. any suggestions.
Old 01-28-2005 | 10:37 PM
Racer

Subwoofer rattle

Originally Posted by clay8898
my subwoofer rattles and its driving me nuts. Even on low volumes. I took to the dealer to get fixed and not only did they not fix the problem but they scratched the hell out of my drivers side passenger door jam. any suggestions.

sorry about the scratches. they are alot plastic clips that are used on these new cars on most accasions thats what causes rattles when they are not fastened properly. Push the rear deck down hopefully the dealer didn't mess things up. They are two clips to the left and right of the subwoofer try preesing there especially ok. let me know if worked.
Old 01-29-2005 | 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah I tried puushing in those two spots and I don't think thats it . I tapped on it and their is a rattle in the back right of the panel. I guess I'm just going to have to take it back to the dealer and have them tyr to fix it. I'll just make sure I talk to the service manager this time. If they scratch my ride this time.... I might drop kick somebody.
Old 01-29-2005 | 07:33 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

I've had the exact same rattle start up within the last week (1200 miles on an '05 TL). It is intermittent. The first day it was very annoying. Since then it has quieted but it still pops up occasionally. I've found that by pressing on the vent, or the tweeter cover, or the dash beside the vent that I can usually make it go away.

Wht is the mileage and mfg date of the other TLs having this issue? I wonder if a bad batch came out. My car was made in Nov. '04.

-phil
Same for me 2005 TL 6000 miles. Same solution press the air vent and it's stopped. May be put some foam under where it meets the dash should be ok

Old 01-29-2005 | 09:44 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
Same for me 2005 TL 6000 miles. Same solution press the air vent and it's stopped. May be put some foam under where it meets the dash should be ok
My vent is pretty tight against the dash panels. I've treid putting a piece of paper between them but it didn't help. I think I'd have to take the vent out to fix it properly but to do that it looks like the dash has to be taken apart.

-phil
Old 01-29-2005 | 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

It takes 10 min to permanently fix the rear deck rattle (there is a TSB for this as well-check 3G Garage). Also, if the dealer scratches your car, you should have it replace/fix the damaged parts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97028
Old 01-29-2005 | 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks will try it out this weekend. Let you know how it went.
Old 01-29-2005 | 12:15 PM
.:KCCO:.

i had this problem when i first got the car. couldnt find it for the longest time. turns out, it is the panel that you can only access when the door is open. its the very side of the whole dash where the top meets the bottom part. in my quarts interior. it is the dark gray and light gray portions of the side dash that rattle together. wedge something in between to stop it.
Old 01-29-2005 | 07:48 PM
Instructor

Are you all certain that's where the noise is coming from??

I was *certain* mine was coming from the front deck speaker grills or other places that people on here have posted. I just asked the dealer to check into it w/o cluing them into anything. They replaced the sun visors, and presto all rattles were gone. They only replaced one of the visors because the other had not come in so I was able to compare the noise before & after. This is a known problem & was covered under warranty.
Old 01-29-2005 | 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Novice
It takes 10 min to permanently fix the rear deck rattle (there is a TSB for this as well-check 3G Garage). Also, if the dealer scratches your car, you should have it replace/fix the damaged parts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97028
So far so good thanks for the tip
Old 01-29-2005 | 08:31 PM
Banned

I had a rattle from the steering column area that seemed to be coming from five different directons. Amazingly, it turned out to be coming from the ignition switch area. The source was the keyless-entry module hanging from the key ring banging against the steering column. When the car sways from side to side, it makes a racket that seems to come from several directions.

Do not have a final solution at present but am working on one. Anyone find something similar??
Old 01-30-2005 | 09:01 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
i had this problem when i first got the car. couldnt find it for the longest time. turns out, it is the panel that you can only access when the door is open. its the very side of the whole dash where the top meets the bottom part. in my quarts interior. it is the dark gray and light gray portions of the side dash that rattle together. wedge something in between to stop it.

I put some paper between the two dash pieces. It didn't fix the rattle, so I don't think that's my problem.

-phil
Old 01-30-2005 | 09:03 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by jmichaelp
Are you all certain that's where the noise is coming from??

I was *certain* mine was coming from the front deck speaker grills or other places that people on here have posted. I just asked the dealer to check into it w/o cluing them into anything. They replaced the sun visors, and presto all rattles were gone.
I'd be surprised if the visor was the source of my squeak. If I press down on the tweeter grill the sound goes away. I suspect my tweeter wasn't properly secured and has come loose. I'll check the visor when I go out this morning, I hope that's it because that should be quite a bit easier to fix than the speaker.

-phil
Old 01-30-2005 | 09:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb My case...

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
I put some paper between the two dash pieces. It didn't fix the rattle, so I don't think that's my problem.

-phil
I did check the same area and worked with it, then still have the annoying rattle from this area. After trying everywhere (grills, vents, speakers, panel, etc.), pressing everywhere, insulate padding into all the possible abutments, I finally pinpoint it.

I'm not sure if it's that black triangle plastic or the rubber between that plastic and the driver side window. Once I press on that area, all my rattle on the left side of steering wheel is GONE. In fact, I don't have this rattle/noise all the time, but it's annoying when it happens. If pressing on the black triangle plastic cannot work, I'll twist or bend that rubber, then the rattle/noise will go away.

(In my first 3 months, I didn't get any rattle/noise, except my glove box. Once the dealers/Acura-TL forums/I fixed it, I had rattle in the center of the front instrument/panel/console/speaker. After fixing it, now I have rattle on the left. It's kind of like the chain reaction, the rattle or vibration will go somewhere and start to make noise. I'm tired from this physics stuff.)

Sunvisor is one of the rattle source, but it's on the top, obviously, it's the different case. My passenger side visor had been replaced in the beginning of 2004.

Originally Posted by CFIMIKE
I had a rattle from the steering column area that seemed to be coming from five different directons. Amazingly, it turned out to be coming from the ignition switch area. The source was the keyless-entry module hanging from the key ring banging against the steering column. When the car sways from side to side, it makes a racket that seems to come from several directions.

Do not have a final solution at present but am working on one. Anyone find something similar??
You could try to temp remove your keyless-entry module and the whole keychain from your key (or use your spare valet key) to test. This could help make sure "it" is the factor.

FYI, one of members ever had parts of the key ignition replaced. He had the noise/rattle from inside key ignition (between the base of windshield wiper control and ignition area).
Old 01-30-2005 | 01:01 PM
Racer

ahhh baione... that exactly how mine started ... now i have them everywere and its in the shop as we speak fro rattles in the rear deck the sub the passenger and drivers side doors seat belt harnass center console front left tweeter rear brake light . also in for tranny ,driveline vibration, tires, brakes shake while slowing down and some times odnt engage at all.. uggggg all the little things lol .. if it happens again im filing for a lemon. second tranny replacement.
Old 01-31-2005 | 12:14 PM
Racer

philb, you have the exact same rattle that I did. It went away when I put my finger on it. I tried the left a/c vent and that was not it. See post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108367
Old 01-31-2005 | 02:35 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by tman
philb, you have the exact same rattle that I did. It went away when I put my finger on it. I tried the left a/c vent and that was not it. See post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108367
It sure sounds like it's the same problem. However, mine was solved (fingers-crossed) in a different manner. I took my car to the dealer this morning to have an intermttent SRS light looked at. At the same time I mentioned the rattle.

I took a ride with the tech and we were able to recreate it easily. He confirmed that pressing on the tweeter stopped the squeak as well as pressing on the dash in front of the tweeter and also behind the tweeter. I was a little hessitent to mention the squeak to the service rep after some of the horror stories of people having grease and other damage done to their interiors by dealers. I felt better after I notcied the tech wear latex gloves, so I hope that means they change them between jobs (less chance of grease stains). The tech thought he could fix the problem by applying some noise tape near the windshield. I said that was ok as long as they didn't have to take the dash apart. The service invoice states "Applied noise reduction tape to driver's A pillar" I only have a 2 mile drive from the dealer to work but the problem didn't show up during that drive.

I'll keep an eye (and and ear) out for any more squeaks. If they return I'll probably try to pull the tweeter like you suggest.

-phil
Old 02-01-2005 | 02:55 AM
Racer

I know exactly what you mean now. It was not just the tweeter alone making noise, but also the dash area that touches the A pillar. The dash rubs on the A pillar which also makes the noise. So they stuffed some tape to stop the rubbing. Try rubbing the dash that touches the glass. It will also make the "rubbing rattle" noise, unless they put some of that tape there also.
After putting silicone on the tweeter, it quieted it down 40 to 50%. But on bigger bumps, it is the dash rubbing on the A pillar. So I have both, just need to get someone to put that tape in.