Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over someone's muffler today

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran over someone's muffler today

It was dark, and wet, riding at 60km/hr (not too fast), then I see a truck muffler (larger size) in the middle of the lane.

At first I thought it was snow from far away, but then I realized it was rusted metal as I got closer.

I had no time to swerve to the uncoming lane, or break, so I centered my car over it, braced myself and ran over the metal crap.

It made a 3 point bang underneath my car at difference locations. Was fukn'g pissed.

I stopped at the gas station, and to my amazment there was no damage to the exterior of the car. Underneath, there was a piece of rusted scrap metal (from the muffler) logded into the "aluminum shiny long wavy tubes" to the left and right of the front bottom of the car. It was slightly scuffed but thats it. I removed it and cleared the dirt. Even the black plastic front at the base was not damaged.

Will be taking a closer look at it when I put my winter tires on, but from what I saw, I am really lucky.
In retrospect, driving over the thing is all I could have done. IT was either drive over it with my wheels which couldeasily make me loose control, or center my car over it.

anyways just needed to vent thx...
Looks like me car is not so unadulterated anymore
D
Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
lucky! you must not be lowered or you might of hit you front bumper.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jptl04
lucky! you must not be lowered or you might of hit you front bumper.
it's no joke when things like that are on the road...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,422 Posts
It's good to hear that you are safe and well, if you have some time, I suggest you take it to the dealer, ask them to put it on the rack and take a peek under there to make sure no cables, wiring, piping, rubber, etc. was damaged.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
You did good to avoid the worst of it in marginal driving conditions. Swerving would've made a bad situation worse.

One evening (almost dark) I saw one of these on the Freeway:

With the wheel. About 5 - 6 foot diameter. Fortunately straddled in between two lanes (2.5 feet in the right lane; 2.5 feet in the middle lane).

Car in front swerved and I was able to as well. At 70+ mph that was a *bad* accident just waiting to happen.

Sometime later, elsewhere, I ran over some asshat's spare tow-behind trailer wheel. Did some nasty damage to my RepMobile:

Under the Front:

And Into the Rear Door/Fender:

You did good.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Same here I hit a tire one week after getting my car. It cracked my front bumper and fog light. I was soo soo pissed so with a metal muffler, I would say you were blessed!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
'08 Type S KBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, that is scary. Sometimes running over debris is better then trying to swerve and causing another wreck.

A few years ago I was cruising down I-95 at 75MPH during morning rush hour when the car in front of me started smoking heavily, so heavily that I couldn't see the car in front of me. For a second I thought I was in a NASCAR race and lead car blew an engine. I recalled back to my "Days of Thunder" days and pointed the car into the smoke and hoped the car would be gone. Well a second later I heard a loud bang and the steering wheels pulls to the right. I take my foot off the gas a follow the smoke trail to the shoulder.

We finally stop and I jump out of car and find a blown front tire and bent rim. I looked in the road and couldn't see what I hit. The car in front of me is driven by an early 20ish girl and I check to make sure she is ok. She's fine and was wondering why her car was smoking. I could smell oil burning on the exhaust and looked under her car and oil was pouring out from a hole in the bottom of the oil pan.

She asks me if it "would be ok to drive to work in the condition?" I kid you not!!! No sweetie, you better call a tow truck. I never laughed so hard that day. After my spare was on, a cop stop by and informed us that we hit a driveshaft and there were 4 other cars with flat tires around the bend. So I ask the golden question, "Where is the car with the missing driveshaft." ...figuring a car with a missing driveshaft wasn't going very far. NO shit, they couldn't find car. Maybe it was a 4wheel drive and lost the front driveshaft. No clue why they couldn't tie the driveshaft to a car.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crazy stories. I'm sure this sort of thing happens everyday somewhere. Some of the damage you guys have sustained make me cringe....sorry to hear some of that.

I had my car inspected by Acura today. No major damage occured. The metal plate under my engine was slightly bent, so they straightened it out, and one of the many gas line holders ( a small $10 unit) was cracked. I asked for it to be replaced.

They technician said it was ok, with some small scratches.
I was lucky, one Acurian life charm has been used up..
Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was driving on an expressway by me going into nyc, in the left lane just driving normal, about 65mph. then out of nowhere i see a car tire come flying at me, i start thinking and look around me , and there were cars everywhere. so i just held the wheel tight and got ready for it to hit, lol. the tire hit my driver side window, dented the door pretty bad by the window, then after it hit me, kept rolling backwards then hit another guys front bumper.. lol... messed up stuff
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This past sunday i was on my way to work and came around the corner and as i did i noticed a truck with a matress in the back of it, and not a half second after i saw it, it was flying out of the back of the truck into my lane. It was wet out and i was going about 35-40 and slammed on the brakes and i was almost stopped and boom, i hit it and it got wedged inbetween my drivers side tire and the fron tof the sideskirt. Didnt do any damage, but i was glad i had put my stock wheels on and raised the car up the night before.

:thumbsdow to hillbillies who are too ignorant to tie down stuff in their piece of shit trucks.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i feel ya! a couple months back I had a truck filled with "junk" spew out it's stuff on the freeway, several cars in front of me - going around 70 i had a hard time stopping. in the end, i ended up running it over - it took a chunk out of my lip and cracked it a bit in the front left end as well. BOO.