Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radar detector

if i get a radar detector then apply the suction cups to the windshield will it leave marks when i take them off.............if so where should i place the radar detector
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Clean the marks off with windex and your problems are solved.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/page...wipes_2.7.html
(Always good to have on hand.)
Old 01-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't gotten a ticket since I threw out my radar detector 14 years ago.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Racer

what do u have
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Race Director

Ok I decided I will get myself a V1 with the concealed display, but does the 8500 also offer a concealed display and hardwire kit?

For my uncle I plan on getting him a 8500 but I wanna know how does a popular detector like that go for like $40-60 less on ebay? could it be a older software version or something?

The V1 still sells for $400 on ebay..

Its odd, but theres 3-4 Buy It Now auctions on ebay for the 8500 going so cheap.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

2004TL: Glad you're joining the V1 club.

The V1 is only sold direct.
The 8500 is sold through distributors.
I'm sure the 'discount' you see on eBay is simply a distributor cutting his margins on eBay for a quick sale.

I'm sure you've seen my thread on installing the V1...

-=Nick=-
Old 01-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by nickpoore
2004TL: Glad you're joining the V1 club.

The V1 is only sold direct.
The 8500 is sold through distributors.
I'm sure the 'discount' you see on eBay is simply a distributor cutting his margins on eBay for a quick sale.

I'm sure you've seen my thread on installing the V1...

-=Nick=-
Now that u mentioned it, I went and read it.

I got some questions.

What is wrong with suction cups? Why did u use this bracket and how did u attach it to the windshield?

Also the thing that scares me about hardwiring is, where do i run the wire from.. like it goes under the roof line than i have to open the a-pillar and put it thru there, but than do I jam it between the door or what?

Also does the V1 Hardwire kit come with long enough cable? If not, where can I buy more?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 2004TL
Now that u mentioned it, I went and read it.

I got some questions.

What is wrong with suction cups? Why did u use this bracket and how did u attach it to the windshield?

Also the thing that scares me about hardwiring is, where do i run the wire from.. like it goes under the roof line than i have to open the a-pillar and put it thru there, but than do I jam it between the door or what?

Also does the V1 Hardwire kit come with long enough cable? If not, where can I buy more?
I got some answers.

I don't like suction cups on a permanant mounting. Just a personal preference. The LoBoy mounting bracket that I used sticks to the windshield using 3M double-sided adhesive. This method also allowed me to mount the bracket on that shaded are of the windshield behind the rear-view-mirror where suction cups wouldn't stick.

The wire runs from behind the dash, up the A-pillar, and across the roof lining.
Running up the A-pillar was easy (just remove the door moulding) but honestly it was all pretty easy. I have the service manual and am more than willing to send you the pages on how to take everything apart. (Oh, to remove the A-Pillar, you just remove the clip - it's discuised as an AirBag warning sticker.)

The V1 uses PHONE cables for all of it's cables. Since I have a phone crimping tool (I'm a computer geek) I just used some black phone cable and crimped my own ends on the cable. You can buy more cables at a phone store..

I hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Race Director

Thanks for the answers, I have a 1998 Avalon, not a TL so it is a lil diff for me, The part that still scares me is how to get the wire between the door and the jam..

You know we all buy Radar Detectors but Most of us or maybe just me, dont know how it works. I know it senses a Radar Gun, but what if the Gun is off, what if you are by a Hill, How much can you rely on a detector?
What else does it detect? Why is I have passed 5 Cops at a Vehicle Accident with there Lights on and My radar is silent the whole way? Stuff to think about, can anyone explain to me how it works?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Instructor

If it is off, then it is not used to clock your speed. they can drive by yourside at the limit, if you pass them, then you are speeding. Some are instant on, that means it is off until they press the trigger. this is hard to detect unless the cars in front of you are being tracked.

Radar uses radio signals that bounces back from your car. Your speed is calculated based on the time delay of the return signal back to the radar gun. Your detector is tuned to listen for the presence of those signals.

Detectors give you an edge. It is not fool proof. It is also not immuned to false alarms. If you have a normal route, you can tell the areas of false alarms. It has saved me a few times when I was able to slow down before I was line of sight of the cop. Depending on how much you paid for your detector, you can recoup the cost in 3 to 4 detections that would otherwise been a ticket.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Pro

I had a Bel 980 and just got a BEL 985 (very similar).

I havent got a ticket in 7 years with the BEL... of course my old car wouldn't be considered one they "watch".

The BEL is a great radar detector... the 980 was greast and the 985 even better...

On the turnpike coming home this weekend, a little red car cut me off to get into the right lane from the left going fast.. my detector was already registerring.. sure enough, copy flips a U turn from the shoulder and pulls him over....

Getting stopped for speeding is a game of chance.. theres a limited amount of officers and more people speeding than one... but the detector helps curb the odds, and reminds you to check your speed occasionally (especially with those falsies under overpasses).
Old 01-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Hey nickpoore can you send me some info on how to run my wires from the fuse box to the rearview mirror if you have pics I would greatly apprec. or even if you can explain how to pull the
a-piller off, thanks arpanppatel@hotmail.com
Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by arparp
Hey nickpoore can you send me some info on how to run my wires from the fuse box to the rearview mirror if you have pics I would greatly apprec. or even if you can explain how to pull the
a-piller off, thanks arpanppatel@hotmail.com
You might as well Post them on here as I would like to see too..

or email me Raheel@Comcast.net and I will post them on here, or u can attach too.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

I bought an 8500 from JJI Electronics for $284.95 including shipping. Email is sales@jjielectronics. The ex-cop in the internet recommends that the detector be mounted as low as possible because lasers project in a very narrow path, and if the detector is mounted high up it may be above the path. Make sure that the windshield wiper is not in front of the detector. The instructions with my 8500 say DO NOT install the detector behind window tinting. If the next car in front of you is two miles ahead of you, and smoky is using instant on radar or lasar your busted.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by BolderKeith
I bought an 8500 from JJI Electronics for $284.95 including shipping. Email is sales@jjielectronics. The ex-cop in the internet recommends that the detector be mounted as low as possible because lasers project in a very narrow path, and if the detector is mounted high up it may be above the path. Make sure that the windshield wiper is not in front of the detector. The instructions with my 8500 say DO NOT install the detector behind window tinting. If the next car in front of you is two miles ahead of you, and smoky is using instant on radar or lasar your busted.
Still cheaper on ebay, and I always thought higher was better, Now I am really confused How about I pick the middle so I compromise both
Old 01-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nickpoore
Clean the marks off with windex and your problems are solved.
Indeed, or you can just clip it to your sun visor to avoid it being spotted.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:02 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Ideally, higher is good for ragular radar bands.
lower is better for laser, as they try to aim at your front plates (if you have any).

But I like the hybrid solution with a remote sensor inside your front grill, they used to make those.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 2004TL
You might as well Post them on here as I would like to see too..
Okay, I posted them.
The message with the URL is located here:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...144#post671144

-=Nick=-
Old 01-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Race Director

too bad I dont own a TL

But still those pics are helpful, Thanks Nick