Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing TL, Gear ratio, and a honda CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:09 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racing TL, Gear ratio, and a honda CIVIC

Well tonight i was heading home from hooters with my bro and other friend. So i am going 80-85 just crusing.. (at this rate of speed, am i in 5th gear already?) if i been cruising for about 20 minutes already>?

Well i see this Honda Civic Si... those popular ones that were that laser blue with the Si in red i guess maybe 1 or 2 generations or maybe likea 2001 or 2000. not hatch back. just plain 2 doors, with rims and HID lights and body kit.

i guess you can call it from a roll at 85 miles an hour.. so i step on it and go.. and so does he.. i pull ,, pull pull about maybe 1 car length.... he had a stick, and i have AT.. and then i notice he just starts catching up , more and more slowly.. we went like that for about 20 seconds till he passed me. and left me like a car and half.. i dont know how long we ran.. but it was more than quarter mile. BUT HE PASSED ME..

now i wonder. what did he have.. i guess civic must of had , CAI, exhaust and who knows what else.. but i am still like. damn he caught up and passed me.

but i think . hmmm. he had stick, i heard him down shift and all. and all this time i was in 5th gear. didnt even think of putting in SS. we got till 128 so he must of been at 136 or so at the speed taht he started to pass me..from 80 that we started..

i guess i got beat. But i think from a stop , i could of had him in SS..

this was the fasted i have taken my TL. feel bad after LOl.. but ohh well.
Can you guys let me know about this.. what you think.. of all this other than telling me stupid, stop racing, u wasting gas, i just want to see from technical point of views, how the TL did and lost but from already going 80 miles and hour and AT against STICK...with aftermarket engine parts and all civic.. Si..
Old 08-14-2004, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn boy you got OWNED.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Team NightHawk VP

you were not in 5th gear the whole time, if you floored it when you raced him, the computer downshift to 3rd gear. the civic must have had a lot of stuff done to it
Old 08-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Racer

Like CLiff said, the computer automatically downshifts to third when u floor it. And yes, the civic SI has closer gear ratios but they also fall in comparison the the HP and torque of the TL. Since their gear ratios are closer together, they lose top end speed. You should have pulled on an SI at those speeds so there was definately something going on underneath the hood of that civic!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:00 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

hmmm. i mean. i know he must of had something. he had his car all fixed up... and at the end he sounded like he was gonna blow up.. this loud noise, howling noise but deep roar... i was wondering that.. if i was in fifth and it just went from there or like you guys said.. that it automatically downshifts...

yeah i guess i did get Natismati.... but like i said. we went for alot more than quarter mile so i dont really know who won or if i would win in a 1/4 mile race. But fact is.. at the end, he just pulled on me..

hey you guys think that if i acutally would of put in SS and held each gear to its max i might of stayed ahead? By leaving it in D, it just does it itself...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Team NightHawk VP

if you had it floored...the gears wouldnt shift until redline or a little before it...if you have it in SS and dont shift a little before redline, the delay of the shift would actually make u hit the rev limiter before it shifts...it happened to me a few times...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

My last car was a 2000 black Civic SI (which got stolen and stripped) and stock, it's not a very fast car. 1/4 mile, it could probably keep up with the automatic TL. On the highway where you need top end, the TL should have been able to take it out. He must have been boosting or something. Oh, BTW, the 2 dr coupe was only made in 1999 and 2000. There aren't that many of them out there since they only produced 15,000 vehicles for each year and alot of those have been stolen. Also, just from my personal experience and butt dyno, my SI did feel faster than my current automatic TL. And everyone that has ridden with me said the same thing. But on paper, the TL should be faster.

Oh yeah, and the Civic SI is only available in stick. No automatics.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro

In defense of the kill on Gunmetal's TL, I've only seen a handful of stock Si Civics. A well modded one can run low 14s w/o FI. And I've seen boosted Si Civics running very low 13s at Etown. As for topend, a stock Si tops out at 130mph. With mods, ! (Steph Papadakis' 99 Super Street Si ran a 14.1 @ 97mph with full boltons - non-FI)

Even with my 3.5L Maxima, I never sleep on the Si, GSR, ITR or Lude. If they can drive, I'll get taken down. (If I could have a project car, I'd pick one of those 4, though.)

Bottomline Gunmetal, you should have purchased a 6MT TL. Good death.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You were stuck in the 4th gear

Originally Posted by cliff
you were not in 5th gear the whole time, if you floored it when you raced him, the computer downshift to 3rd gear. the civic must have had a lot of stuff done to it
I used to own 02 TLS and it would not downshift to 3rd at speeds above 80 mph. I had to touch the brake for a moment to reduce the speed and the step on the gas to force the tranny to go into the 3rd gear. 4th gear was very tall and painfully slow in TLS. The same probably applies to 04 TL. You get a very relax high-speed cruising and great milage in return though.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
In defense of the kill on Gunmetal's TL, I've only seen a handful of stock Si Civics. A well modded one can run low 14s w/o FI. And I've seen boosted Si Civics running very low 13s at Etown. As for topend, a stock Si tops out at 130mph. With mods, ! (Steph Papadakis' 99 Super Street Si ran a 14.1 @ 97mph with full boltons - non-FI)

Even with my 3.5L Maxima, I never sleep on the Si, GSR, ITR or Lude. If they can drive, I'll get taken down. (If I could have a project car, I'd pick one of those 4, though.)

Bottomline Gunmetal, you should have purchased a 6MT TL. Good death.
Sorry to say that but neither Maxima or TL can play with little pocket-rockets like Si or GSR. If you want a big an comfortable car that can run with and/or beat these guys you gotta go BMW. Believe me I know it from experience. I lost several races to Civics in my TLS. In my current car (2002 540ia) I easily keep up with them until road clears and destroy them on the open road.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:24 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
At speeds of 85....you NEED TO DOWNSHIFT TO THIRD....even if it means slowing down to catch third gear.....thats probably why you lost. In the end....a bad driver can cause a faster car to lose to a slower car (as is the case here).
Old 08-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

My buddy has the same type of car you are talking about. For what it is, it's fairly quick and could hang with my bone stock GS-R but not with the TL. Unless he is boosting.
As for the downshifting, he probably could go to 4th and be alright but due to the ratio's he wouldn't be able to get much out of 3rd. If I were driving the NSX, 3rd would be a piece of cake though
Old 08-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SergeyM
Sorry to say that but neither Maxima or TL can play with little pocket-rockets like Si or GSR. If you want a big an comfortable car that can run with and/or beat these guys you gotta go BMW. Believe me I know it from experience. I lost several races to Civics in my TLS. In my current car (2002 540ia) I easily keep up with them until road clears and destroy them on the open road.
So long as I dont sleep on them, I'll nail a stock Si or GSR. (I'm certain the TL can do likewise. Esp given the fact that both the TL, TL-S and Max top out at 140mph+ in stock trim) But when modded, the B16A and B18C really come alive.

Fortunately, my torque level jumps all over them enough on the low end that they're usually fighting to play catchup.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:52 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
At speeds of 85....you NEED TO DOWNSHIFT TO THIRD....even if it means slowing down to catch third gear.....thats probably why you lost. In the end....a bad driver can cause a faster car to lose to a slower car (as is the case here).

i agree. BAD RACING DRIVER... but not bad driver. in all my years in driving since 15 years of age.. no accidents no nothing. CLEAN.. but i have never raced in my life. I tried a to drive stick for about 1 week said .. F@#$ it......... So till now, with my TL its that i been going more on the edge. so i am not all familiar with this SS mode.. i have used it.. but not all that wit it.. like i said. i didnt even think of puttin it in SS. i just steped on it. lol. but hey.. next time. And i guess i need ALot more practice at this.. its that i am not even sure, what speeds i have to be in to get a specific gear... do you guys know..
like..

lets saw. 0-30 1st gear.
31-50 2nd gear.. and so on.... and i am making this up.. but do you guys knows the REAL #'s? so that i know next time and i dont mess up again?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Retired MOD

Don't feel bad....the gear ratio on the AT truly sucks that is another reason to get the 6MT.

He had no chance if you had a 6MT....sorry buddy...
Old 08-15-2004, 04:46 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

ok well. i am over it. but i want to get better at this. so i need to know the safe side of it. as what speeds are recommended for which gear.. its like i dont want to be in 2nd gear and be at 90 miles an hour(if this is even possible and wont hurt the trans..) u know what i mean.. so i just want to know max speeds of each gear