raced an audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004 | 08:07 PM
Intermediate

raced an audi S4

We have this road near Philly called Lincoln drive which is to say the least freightneing to drive at speed. It is 4 lanes two in either direction with no devider. their is also no runoff, the road is carved from rock so you hit the wall if you lose it. Anyway I'm stopped at one of the few lights on this death road and here comes spanky pulling up next to me in his daddys shiney new yellow S4. Now i'm no fool I know if Zit boy knows how to drive I'm toast I think the S4 is AWD and 300 something HP. Well I exchanged glances kinda like yea thats a nice car mine is to.....and I was not planning on going BUT.......The SkanK ho in the passenger seat shouts your car aint shit. Well well now I say I belive a spanking is in order. the light changed and I let trailer park jump out to see what I was up against, suprise suprise he damn near hit 3 cars on the other side of the road going around 1 of the many hairpins. I could see him wrestling with the wheel like a priest on an alter boy, anyway I hung about 1 1/2 car links back waiting for him to hit the wall all the while wondering why he wasnt just pulling away. just as we were up to about 85 or so on a 200 yard streight he slammed the breaks on and did a complete 360. He missed me but got the wall.

Few things I observed.

1) I have the 6MT thank god he would have killed me
2) the seats are awfull for keeping you in place taking corners at 60 +
3) I'm not stupid had this Jack ass been able to drive he would have spanked me.
4) Dont race people just because they pissed you off you never no what kind of retards they are.
5) the torque steer in this car WILL kill you!!!! a couple of times I downshifted and hit a pavement joint at about 80 + and wound up in the next lane....it could have been the wall.
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

well the s4 only runs a 14.2 to 14.0 for you would not of gotten spanked at all. the car is heavy as hell if anything i think you would of toasted him upstairs
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Jersey in the house

You ever road licoln drive at speed?
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:44 PM
Team Anthracite

haha

i bet he feels like a fag now
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nitrotiger
well the s4 only runs a 14.2 to 14.0 for you would not of gotten spanked at all. the car is heavy as hell if anything i think you would of toasted him upstairs
You might want to re-check your info. It is faster than that (unless you are talking a convertible - much heavier).
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Let me get this straight, he slammed on the brakes on a straight road and spun it 360*? God, you have to be a complete dumb ass to do that. wow.
Old 06-13-2004 | 09:56 PM
Banned

Good story about a moron driver. An s4 will spank the TL for breakfast and have some left over to spank an s2000 after. Its the simple math of small car with monster engine.
Old 06-13-2004 | 09:57 PM
Banned

Old 06-13-2004 | 10:38 PM
Racer

I think the S4 has 340 hp and should beat the TL for 2 reasons :

1) it has a larger engine with 2 more cylinders
&
2) It costs about $15K more than the TL

besides, yellow has to be one of the worst colors Audi has for the S4. I would have just rolled down the passenger window and told the driver " nice color...hehehe"

-Chad
Old 06-13-2004 | 11:10 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I would have made a U turn and drove back to the crash, gotten out, and told them "Your car ain't shit." Thats just me though. The oppurtunity would be too perfect to not do it.
Old 06-13-2004 | 11:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GaleForce
I would have made a U turn and drove back to the crash, gotten out, and told them "Your car ain't shit." Thats just me though. The oppurtunity would be too perfect to not do it.
Totally agree. "Whos car aint shit now" BTW "you guys need a lift" NOT!
Old 06-14-2004 | 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

That guy should thank God he hit the wall and not a family in their minivan coming the other direction. I've seen something like that, and it aint pretty.
Old 06-14-2004 | 07:07 AM
Black

I can't believe a car did a full 360 - simple physics and the quattro AWD system. I believe you raced someone, just not the story.
Old 06-14-2004 | 09:57 AM
Previous Owner

That road is bad to race on. It's really windy but I don't remember hairpins. there are concrete dividers after wissahickon ave going towards the mainline. So maybe you raced further up than that? which would mean that the lanes were a little wider.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:09 AM
Pro

....and that's reason #1 why I dont run against "kids". I've let many Si/EX Civic drivers "walk" me because I dont want to be responsible if he/she causes an accident or worse yet, a fatality. (They cant brag all they want to their friends about their Civic beating a Maxima. I just dont want anyone killed and my ego isnt that big.)

Gotta pick your spots and that wasnt one of them. $.02

Peace.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:21 AM
Powered by Guinness

Seats are awful? What are you comparing them to? Perhaps you are too small for them, too large for them, or wear lots of silk...

Where are you downshifting to/from in a race at 80+mph? How do you get torque steer on a downshift? How did you manage to get torque steer at all at 80+? If this happened a couple of times, why didn't you learn from the first?

I'm not saying your story didn't happen, but I think you've added a little extra spice to make it interesting. I think some of your criticisms of the TL would be more honestly directed at your decision making and driving ability.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:55 AM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by Aegir

Seats are awful? What are you comparing them to? Perhaps you are too small for them, too large for them, or wear lots of silk...

Where are you downshifting to/from in a race at 80+mph? How do you get torque steer on a downshift? How did you manage to get torque steer at all at 80+? If this happened a couple of times, why didn't you learn from the first?

I'm not saying your story didn't happen, but I think you've added a little extra spice to make it interesting. I think some of your criticisms of the TL would be more honestly directed at your decision making and driving ability.
I agree.

I can understand downshifting because of the tight curves, but torque steer at 80 mph?

I'm also a bit dubious as to an S4 with quattro doing a 360. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that may have been embelished a bit.

It also seems to me that if you were only a couple car lengths behind him as you said, you reallly had to be pushing it to keep up. Seems to me you were coming as close to racing as you possibly could (even if you did give him the head start). The punk in the S4 probably assumed you were still trying to race him, and thus kept it up.

Just glad that no one got hurt. With dangerous roads, too much horsepower, and too little common sense, this story ended about as well as it could have.
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:07 AM
Team Camel Chief Justice

um

thats def a road ive taken my tl out on, and you have to be absolutely insane to take the car up to 85 over there.....infact, you prob held 85 for about 2 seconds.....at least you were bright enough to hold back...i woulda slapped his ghetto ass girl after all that
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Hilarious

I just got in to work and read this.
DamnTl that is a helluva great story. I only wish
I had a beer and a cigar to hear it.
S4 is a fantastic car, no doubt. Sounds like
the owners were complete retards.

You made my crappy Monday better...

Peace.
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:22 AM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I have one thing to say... street racers.
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:41 AM
SOLD

That 360 part IS very questionable, even on slippery roads. I think what they are talking about with the "torque steer" is maybe float? This is where when your going over a bump or on a non glass-smooth road how when you come down from the bump or the rough road seems to jerk the the car slightly. Try going over a bump at speed or a bump in a turn. Also try accelerating full throttle on a turn before completly parallel with the road again, you will see what I mean. I have 5AT by the way, torque steer from a stop is almost non existent.
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:56 AM
Racer

Look like creative writing to me.
-r
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by automata
I have one thing to say... street racers.
I can't beleive it's illegal to be seen in a street racing video lol. I hate police.
Old 06-14-2004 | 12:49 PM
Racer

We have this road near Philly called Lincoln drive which is to say the least freightneing to drive at speed. It is 4 lanes two in either direction with no devider. their is also no runoff, the road is carved from rock so you hit the wall if you lose it. Anyway I'm stopped at one of the few lights on this death road and here comes spanky pulling up next to me in his daddys shiney new yellow S4. Now i'm no fool I know if Zit boy knows how to drive I'm toast I think the S4 is AWD and 300 something HP. Well I exchanged glances kinda like yea thats a nice car mine is to.....and I was not planning on going BUT.......The SkanK ho in the passenger seat shouts your car aint shit. Well well now I say I belive a spanking is in order. the light changed and I let trailer park jump out to see what I was up against, suprise suprise he damn near hit 3 cars on the other side of the road going around 1 of the many hairpins. I could see him wrestling with the wheel like a priest on an alter boy, anyway I hung about 1 1/2 car links back waiting for him to hit the wall all the while wondering why he wasnt just pulling away. just as we were up to about 85 or so on a 200 yard streight he slammed the breaks on and did a complete 360. He missed me but got the wall.

Hey DAMNTL! lincoln Drive is my favorite route to center city! hehehehe I totally understand what you are describing. Last year on OCT 1st. (on my birthday night) My brother drove his GSR through the lincoln drive and another car switched lanes and hit him....he then hit the side and did a 180 toward the northbound(wall side) cars. Thank god those cars stopped on time. Ever since then, he purchased WRX...the GSR was totalled. ANyhow I just wanted to tell you that.

Gotta becareful on lincoln.....its just not your driving.....but others as well.

Old 06-14-2004 | 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Regardless of wether you belive it or not I could really care less. The fact is the kid did a 360....matbe he yanked his parking brake...dunno. And as far as the torque steer is concerned, I downshifted hit a joint and the car changed lanes.
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:17 PM
Instructor

Not buying it.

I would not buy this story with someone elses dollar.
You hanging in with a S4 Quattro AWD. And it spins 360 No way
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:59 PM
Racer

??????????

Originally Posted by yzfrebel
I would not buy this story with someone elses dollar.
You hanging in with a S4 Quattro AWD. And it spins 360 No way

SOOOOO.......my fellow TLer's.......AWD = 360 NO WAY!!!!......seems little out of touch with science. You are telling me.....that even if its not the same AWD.....my brother's WRX won't ever spin out???

I DON"T BUY THIS EVEN WITH GOV'T STAMPS
Old 06-14-2004 | 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Unless it's a newer S4 with the V8 engine, it would only have the 2.7T which produces around 250HP. I don't have an opinion about whether or not the story is legit, but don't underestimate the things that happen when stupid or inexperienced people drive powerful vehicles.
Old 06-14-2004 | 04:34 PM
Racer

exactly......you never know
Old 06-14-2004 | 05:01 PM
Instructor

Nice story -which i believe is TRUE

Great job with the S4 smack down. It just goes to prove if you don't know what the hell your doing and you have high performance car, you can be beat.

For those of you not familiar with Lincoln drive, if you are driving in the slow lane in one direction and go 12 inches off the road, you will hit a rock wall, on other side of the road you go 12 inches off the road you hit guard rail or you will be in a stream, and there is little no space in the middle lane. If you don't pay attention, you will get in accident. Accidents occur on that road daily.

An old story about this road. Back in the 80s there was a upcoming music star that was driving down the same road Lincoln Drive while getting a blow job. Needless to say he did not have his undivided attention on the road and hit an on coming cart. What a way to die :'( !!!
Sad but true....
Old 06-14-2004 | 05:49 PM
Intermediate

It would be difficult to spin an S4, but that is more a fact of the electronic stability program rather than the Quattro. In fact, Audi uses a torsen differential which only really helps when you are on the throttle. Regardless, no amount of electronics or AWD can overcome the law of physics. If you are going too fast and yank the steering wheel, or if the rear end loses grip, you WILL spin.
Old 06-14-2004 | 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Hopefully this is a made up story. If not; you don't seem to have much regard for others on the road. I would expect this from a civic forum, but not with the TL's. Driving like this just makes the car and its owners look bad.

Not to metion the trouble this activity can get you into in only seconds...There have been several cases recently on the West Coast where an accident occurs and both drivers go to jail for some pretty serious jail time; in one case where there was a fatality in Oregon the "innocent" driver of one of the cars racing (not the one in the accident) got 10 years in prison, the driver that got into the accident got 25 years. In this case you get 10 years in prison for "showing him".

Wake up and take it to the track!! While that guy is obviously a poor driver (if this really happened) you are a dumbsh*t for engaging in this kind of activity.
Old 06-14-2004 | 06:17 PM
Drifting

maybe the person who posted this doesn't even have a TL.
Old 06-14-2004 | 07:09 PM
Advanced

Ya know, I really don't give a damn if the TL could beat a turtle in the quarter mile. I enjoy the hell out of driving this car. Its fun to drive, comfortable, and a bargin. What else can I say. You can race to your hearts content. I'd rather drive safely and enjoy the car.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:02 PM
Renaissance Man

OK I live right on Wissahickon (Alden Park) so I take Lincoln Drive almost everywhere. Going from Wiss towards Kelly you can definitely get up to 85, but it is ill-advised (not sure about further up towards Mt Airy). I can see if he spun at 85 at the little kink in the straight just before the Police Station/ Gypsy Ln, but nowhere else (unless you count the ~30º bend under the Henry Ave bridge part of a straight.) But if he was doing 85 at that point there was no way he would be slowing down to make that next sharp right (or left after the bridge). Plus he would have spun into the jersey barrier right in front of the police station and you would have been follwing him pretty fast for him to barely miss you. That's really smart.

Sean

PS That's not torque steer when running over a pavement joint. That's running over a pavement joint at 80 mph. Your front wheels left the pavement and continued in the direction of your momentum (straight). If all this really happened, i.e.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:21 PM
SoCarioca!! :)

Don't Race On The Streets

Every Weekend There Are Races Everywhere. You Pay Some 20$ And Race Your Car. You Should Try That! SCAA will give you a list of locations.. There are other organizations too.

What If Someone You Know Was Driving The Opposite Direction When This Happened! A Friend? Some Girl You Know?

Grow Up, Dude!! 85 On A Narrow Road Is Straight Dumb!
Old 06-15-2004 | 03:09 AM
Racer

where did he go to clearify his story? awell nevertheless still a good story to tell my grandchildren
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:43 PM
Safety Car

You guys crack me up .. i have a 2004 TL and I think it's pretty slow actually .. yeah, it's an auto, but I've run a 6MT and it wasn't much faster in a straightline.

My TL-S modded could WHOOP on my new TL,. and i thought my Type S was barely quick compared to what's out there.

You are either a) lying
or b) unable to determine what racing is from aggressively "playing around" on the road
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:07 PM
Instructor

Where exactly on lincoln drive was this-- I'll look for the skid marks from the 360.

-S.
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You guys crack me up .. i have a 2004 TL and I think it's pretty slow actually .. yeah, it's an auto, but I've run a 6MT and it wasn't much faster in a straightline.

My TL-S modded could WHOOP on my new TL,. and i thought my Type S was barely quick compared to what's out there.

You are either a) lying
or b) unable to determine what racing is from aggressively "playing around" on the road
Lookout Pete! :flamer: You know they dont want to hear that.

Quick Reply: raced an audi S4