Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Ohio TLers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Ohio TLers

I picked up my new TL at the new Acura dealer on the westside of Cleveland. Got a good and there was no pressure. Here is my question, they didn't put the front license plate on the car. I agree that it looks far better than that piece of tin right in the middle of the bumper. I said that it is Ohio law to have a front plate. The salesman told me that they aren't putting the plate on any TLs because the dealer was told that the law was going to change about needing a front plate. He also said that if I got a ticket they would pay the fine. I know I've seen many Vettes with no front plate so I figure that the cops don't bother. I also know that the cops use the front plate as a target for there lidar and it is used quite frequently on I-480. Anybody else in Ohio not put the front plate on? Thanks everyone.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I'm sure our Moderator (neuronbob) from Cleveland will answer your question precisely very soon.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to the site! I was wondering when the new Acura dealership was going to open. With two dealers in greater Cleveland, I hope this means there'll be more price competition when it comes time for me to upgrade in a few years.

Unfortunately, your salesman was wrong. Ohio law still says:

Ohio Revised Code
§ 4503.21. Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.
The last time this was considered was in the Ohio House in 2003, and it's still in the transportation committee. It hasn't come to a vote yet, unless the ohio.gov site (which lists the entire Ohio Revised Code, if you wanna look) is wrong. I'm SURE that it will come to a vote eventually, but police and the State Highway Patrol are against it for the reasons you state in your message, and because it makes a car easier to ID when oncoming.

Long story short, I wear my front plate.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:26 AM
7th Gear

I recently moved from Pittsburgh to Columbus. I took the plate off when I purchased my TL since waiting for the plates takes about a month. When I got my plates I promptly attached the front one to the bracket and pitched it in the trunk. As I don't believe that the police generally pull people over just for missing front plates (I too have witnessed numerous cars without them), I'm prepared to argue that "the bracket broke when I hit the parking garage wall, officer, and I haven't made it down to Advanced Auto Parts to get a new one yet." A friend of mine actually had a police officer offer that excuse to him once, but his foolish response of "No I just think it looks stupid," netted him an additional fine.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:54 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I live in NE Ohio. A number of people do not run the front plate. Generally from what I have heard it is not a major deal BUT it does give a policeman grounds to stop you, fine you for not wearing your seat belt, etc.

The choice is yours take a chance or give them grounds to pull you over when ever they want.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

where to put your plate!

(NOT a bad joke!) On my recent ill-fated trip to New York City (see NYC parking), I sighted a modified Civic with an interesting approach to the front plate dilemma. He had it on the back side of the passenger visor! It was indeed plainly visible from outside the car. I don't know how safe it would be in case of air bag deployment, but other than that, seemed a good way to go?
Old 08-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Just moved from Ohio, did not run a front plate for YEARS! NEVER got hassled. Technically they can however. I always keep the plate and bracket in the trunk just in case so I can pleasd ignorance like "dealer never installed missing a screw" "just had front repaired / painted, body shop left it off".

Or you can claim you just moved from GA and never hear of such a thing!

A friend in Hudson DID get stoped by a local and got a warning. He put it on cause it is a small town and he lives there.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine's wrapped in a towel with the spare tire
Old 08-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Mine is in the trunk as well. They didn't have it on when I picked up the car and said they'd do it whenever as I was in a hurry. Just haven't done it.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Most people around here use their front plates, but I also see a significant minority either without a front plate, or with a vanity front plate. I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for this issue, either, but why risk an encounter with the police? Other than speeding ONLY on the freeway (and I carry my trusty V1 for..ummmm.... prevention), I don't do anything that would catch the OHP's attention.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone, I think I will leave the plate in the trunk and plead ignorance if I ever get pulled over. All the hardware is there and I hope the cop is over his quota and just gives me a warning.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
ABP Auditor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Dealer had already installed the bracketd and tossed the plugs. I was going to pull the bracket but didn't have the plugs for the holes. So instead I just wear my tags and I put a blue tinted cover over the front and rear tags to go with my ABP paint!