3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a New Vehicle what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Team Nighthawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a New Vehicle what do you think?

Sup guys,

I was going to trade in my TL but was very dissapoined with the trade in value they I was quoted and plus I love the car too much so I am keeping it.

Either way I need a new vehicle for my small business and decided to purchase a 07' Hummer H3. (Flame suit on).

I have always wanted one and I thought his would be a good time.

1.) 0% apr for 60 months
2.) $1950 rebate on top of the 0%
3.) new increased 100,000 mile warranty

Besides for business where I will be loading ladders and tools into the vehicle, I will use it for my moutain biking, snow board, and other outdoor trips.

I am planning on getting a basic model with auto transmission, with Black/Black combo just like my TL, step rails, roof rails, moonroof, etc. No Navi but will purchase a Pioneer D3 unit. Better than factory.

What do you guys think.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boooooo to hummer.. LOL! Thats just cuz i dont like them....but for your purposes, it seems like a good fit for your utility needs. As long as you still stay with the TL! LOL! How about a pickup...its more rugged than a H3 and can accomodate ladders better, i think. Anyways, just a suggestion. Best of luck in your decision!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Racer

Honda Ridgeline
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I when I see a H3--or any Hummer for that matter--on the road, but what does it matter? I'm not the one buying it/driving it.

If you like it and it fulfills your needs, that is what is important!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
'07 NBP TL

Would black/black a good idea for what the vehicle is going to be used for? Maybe something more easy to maintain like silver?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Racer

Since you like the H3 style... go for it.

Just so long as you realize that your gas milage will probably be very bad and that will also hurt your resale value. My wife has a GMC Envoy, and even with very low milage, the trade in value is squat....

Also: read the fine print on that warranty. I think the 100,000 miles applies only to the drivetrain.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Team Nighthawk

Originally Posted by camporealer
Since you like the H3 style... go for it.

Just so long as you realize that your gas milage will probably be very bad and that will also hurt your resale value. My wife has a GMC Envoy, and even with very low milage, the trade in value is squat....

Also: read the fine print on that warranty. I think the 100,000 miles applies only to the drivetrain.
I agree with you. I looked at Ford E350's and below, Dodge, Scion, and Honda. Those big VANS have crappy gas milage compared to the Hummer but it is more practical. I will be carry around one or two ladders and spools of cable and security equipment. I have a new take on my security company and not trying to go the traditional way with big ole white vans. Pickups I looked at, but once again I am loading expensive spools of copper wire (prices are going up on copper), security cameras, DVRS (average 2-4k each) etc. Vans do have one advantage though...security. No windows to really break into if you purchase one without any. I can also place security screens in them.

Looked at SCION XB as an alternative but not my kind of vehicle but very affordable. Interest rate sucks and no deals. Ridgeline ain't cheap either.

Yeah your right about the 100k warranty its only on the powertrain and roadside assitance. The rest is the 5 year 60k warranty bumper to bumper which is not bad. I looked at service cost too, which can get up there depending on what you do. I have till Thursday to make my final decision as I only placed a deposit which is refundable.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Ya i was gonna suggest a pickup truck too.

There are several good ones out there now.

But you don't want buyers remorse or feel bad with your new purchase.

So test drive Hummer and pickup trucks etc...then decide what you like best.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
AR *

If you have the funds, i say its worth a shot. Haggle price off w/the gas mileage right now maybe ?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Instructor

I like the looks of the H3 and sounds like you need the extra space. Since I imagine they aren't in high demand right now with high gas prices you should get a very good deal. Lets see the pictures after you buy.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM
'07 TL-S 6MT Moroccan Red

Plus you can always pull a utility trailer & throw all your crap in there. That is what I do.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by slawek65
Old 05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought an 06 H3 when they were first released and I loved it for the most part. The few things I didn't like were:

1) Gas mileage!!! It said 16 mpg in the city but the best I ever got was 13.

2) Lack of POWER The 06 model only had 220hp but the 07's have 242hp(I believe). That was probably why the gas mileage was so bad cause I would have to punch it to get any real acceleration out of it.

3) The rear cargo space wasn't that large if the rear seats were up. I didn't need all the space so that wasn't a problem for me. If your looking for a roomy SUV, I don't really think you will find it in the H3.

Overall I liked the H3 but sold it because of the gas mileage and got a car since I didn't need an SUV. I got bashed by my friends though saying it was just a beefed up Jeep Liberty.

Thats just my . Good Luck
Old 05-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
my sister drives an H3 and she loves it. enjoy yours and congrats on the upcoming purchase!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The last I checked, Hummers were rather lacking in space (compared to other SUV's). If you like one/want one, that's great, get one...but ladders, cable spools, tools, etc. in the back? Good luck with that.

Why not get a van and use the money you saved to customize it? A nice paint job/graphics and wheels would definitely set you apart from the "big ole white vans."
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Bobz

Thumbs down Not very practical

The Hummer in any guise is a bad buy, besides being politically incorrect. They have very poor space utilization, horrible gas mileage, and are uncomfortable. If you need to use a vehicle in your work, look at the Honda Ridgeline. Honda reliability and quality, plus good residual value. When you try to sell your H3, you will be shocked at how little they are worth - plus with gas prices going through the roof, you will have a hard time even getting anyone to come look at it. This vehicle has practically zero redeeming value. I hope you wanted a frank opinion.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Team Nighthawk

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
The Hummer in any guise is a bad buy, besides being politically incorrect. They have very poor space utilization, horrible gas mileage, and are uncomfortable. If you need to use a vehicle in your work, look at the Honda Ridgeline. Honda reliability and quality, plus good residual value. When you try to sell your H3, you will be shocked at how little they are worth - plus with gas prices going through the roof, you will have a hard time even getting anyone to come look at it. This vehicle has practically zero redeeming value. I hope you wanted a frank opinion.
I am open to all suggestions good or bad. I totally understand where you are comming from Bobzmicish, and I do agree with you. The hummer is something that I have always wanted but the gas, space, realiability and all set me back. So the dealer gave me the H3 for two days before I sign the final papers on Thursday. I will drive it around, put my items in it, etc and see if its a good fit. If not I don't sign simply put.

So far I love it, they gave the vehicle at invoice, minus cash back plus 0%. Once again no final decision till Thursday. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but I must not agree with your purchase, this SUV has nothing but bad reviews and reliability issues. Whether it's the horrible mileage or to the un-utilitarian features. Comfort is non-existent along with ugly road mannerism. If there is a positive feature(s) it might be the ability to travel off the beaten path and the love it or hate it image you get from gawkers along the road, well more so haters. Perhaps a Ridgeline or V8 4runner should've caught your eye, they are astounding as far as reliability and resale. I never understood the ideology of the hummer as a concept for a public vehicle. These were intended to serve our troops. If this was an attempt for patriotism, it's a far cry since our troops fight and die in these things. However though I am not the one to suppress actions, if one decides to purchase, by all means go right ahead and enjoy. Just my two cents so please don't take this as antagonistic.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned, but aside from the Ridgeline which others have mentioned, have you considered an FJ Cruiser?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
This thread is Off Topic and needs to be posted in Car Talk...