Purchase from rockauto.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 10:06 PM
Instructor

Purchase from rockauto.com

I recently purchased a cabin filter from rockauto.com, and the product is great. Took 5-6 total days to ship. I no longer have the random foul ac smell. However customer service wasnt really good. I'll explain...

When i purchased the cabin filter($13.??) shipping was $12. Still not bad, on par with a few other sites. But when I clicked "continue" the web page kept trying to load and did not. Eventually it expired. I reloaded the page and did it again and worked fine. I was nervous it doubled charged me though, which it did come to realize later in the day. With only 1 confirmation email received. I emailed mid after noon that day(i made the purchase at 1am) to ask what happened etc. I had to call in after awhile from getting nowhere thru email, I explained again i had two charges etc, and he responded with "I cant cancel the 2nd filter and no I cant give you a refund, maybe you could sell the 2nd filter to someone." I told him the website was acting up etc, he later tried to blame my computer for the double purchase that was made in between 7 minutes. I asked him why would I order 2 filters and make two different transactions and pay two shipping charges of $12 each for a $13 filter within 7 minutes from each other? He then replied "people do it all the time." I then ask to speak to someone above him and he replied with " I am the manager and I speak on the owners behalf." he tried to offer me $5 store credit and I laughed. Eventually i got him to put the $5 back on my visa. The guy was really rude and not helpful. I will say he was quick to reply to my emails and phone call. But to blame a problem on a customer is bad. Not to mention a very poor solution. Puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Filter is great though. Well worth the buy. Good thing i have 2 lol.
Old 03-09-2011 | 10:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Thats pretty shady.

I hate crap like that. As long as the order hadn't shipped, he could easily have cancelled one and given you credit.

If it really, truely had shipped (i.e. was on the truck), then, yeah, I see where it gets more difficult. But even then, they should be willing to process a return.

Bogus.
Old 03-09-2011 | 10:37 PM
Advanced

Call the credit card company ASAP. Explain the problem, they can get your money back. That is bad business practice.
Old 03-09-2011 | 10:48 PM
www.colradodetail.com

use amazon next time nothing but the best and best price
Old 03-09-2011 | 10:56 PM

call your credit card company ASAP.
Old 03-09-2011 | 11:02 PM
Instructor

Not a fan of Rockauto. There shipping prices are outrages and as the OP found out, their customer service is a joke.
Old 03-09-2011 | 11:10 PM
Instructor

Oh i told them him the only reason I found out about rockauto.com was through acurazine.com and I would give my review. I dont like bashing companies publicly but giving bad customer service is a no no. Word of mouth spreads quickly and is very persuassive. I accepted the $5 credit back to my visa and kept the 2nd filter. Washed my hands of it, but will not return for business.

It should have thrown a flag when two separate orders are placed for the same product to the same address within 7 minutes. Guess logic doesnt work. Just saying.
Old 03-09-2011 | 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Not a fan of Rockauto. There shipping prices are outrages and as the OP found out, their customer service is a joke.

Absolutely, he expected me to pay $12 shipping back to them for a $13 filter...are you serious?

Crazy thing is, like i said before Ive never heard of rockauto before this forum, ironically enough i saw a commercial from them yesterday on a local channel. Kinda crazy.
Old 03-09-2011 | 11:56 PM
Safety Car

just wondering, what kind of cabin filter did you buy?

i bought my atp filter from summit racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATP-HA5/ - $17

shipping was only about $5 to texas
Old 03-10-2011 | 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Conversely, I've had great success with RockAuto as I’ve ordered thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and encountered only one problem. I purchased 5, what I thought were clutch slave cylinders, but when they arrived were actually the slave cylinder rebuilding kits, called immediately, money was refunded and they were sent back. You will find, as they ship from many warehouses the shipping charges can be very high, especially if one is only doing a low cost single item purchase, or the few items are located at multiple locations. As the site will indicate the warehouse location, got to purchase multiple items from the same warehouse. The last order was for rotors, pads and spark plugs for 3 vehicles, and all came from the same warehouse so shipping was minimal, I also was able to find rebates for the specific items, and also used the discount code for the 5%. Takes some time, but the prices are great.
I'll be lining up another order, probably beginning of April.

If anyone is interested, use code F6D059BB2A39 in the "how did you hear about us" box and receive an additional 5% discount until 4/3/11.

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
RockAuto
ATP Part # CF40 $9.77-with the 5% discount, $9.28

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-10-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 | 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Correct part number this time:
ATP Part # HA5 $13.82 minus 5%-$13.13-minus $5 rebate-$8.13

Last edited by Turbonut; 03-10-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 | 09:48 AM
All About Trance

You should've gotten the guy's name so that you can contact the company directly. I doubt a senior level person would be answering phones when they have peons to do that stuff. Just don't let the action of one person prevent you from ordering from them again. If it's a continued instance, then you have every reason to take your business elsewhere.

I have ordered from them a couple of times and both times, the transactions have gone smoothly.
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:07 AM
Race Director

I too have had nothing but great experiences with Rockauto.com. My last order was my timing belt kit which was supposed to arrive via FEDSUX grnd on Friday (Friday morning the FEDSUX tracker said "on vehicle, out for delivery").

When it didn't arrive, I called RA customer service first thing Saturday morning. The CS agent called their corporate contact # at FEDSUX. Two hours later my local FEDSUX truck driver showed up at my door in his personal vehicle with my package....
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:42 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Sir Drake,

I and various friends of mine have been dealing with Rockauto for years and never had a problem with customer service. You probably unlucked out and got a dummy on the other end of the line. When that happens to me calling any company's customer service line, I just hang up and call back a few minutes later and usually get someone else.

As for cabin filters these days, I'd opt for the Fram Fresh Breeze. It not only has the charcoal, but is also impregnated with Arm & Hammer baking soda for serious odor reduction.

Last edited by DMZ; 03-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 | 02:51 PM
6th Gear

as others said, contact the credit card company to let them know of the double charge 99% of the people will agree that if a transaction is made in that short amount of time for the same item, then it's a system error.

use more common sites like amazon/ebay where they have customer satisfaction ratings where you can see their reputation. Since your car is so new, there's an abundance of retailers out there.

rock auto is good for classic cars, where you can't source things so easily (this is what I'm doing right now) they do have parts that aren't in the typical kragen/o reiley/autozone etc.

I can understand if the part was ordered and already sent out but they should still have some kind of return policy.

PS that guy was probably just being an azzz.
Old 03-10-2011 | 11:44 PM
Instructor

Carbon activated filter.
Old 03-10-2011 | 11:46 PM
Instructor

Knowing my luck I would be the customer to get the idiot on the other end of the phone. I do have a $5 mir from ATP, wish I had the 5% discount tho...it would have made the problem less irritating lol.
Old 03-12-2011 | 08:44 AM
7th Gear

Sorry to hear that