Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puddle Lights Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Puddle Lights Help!!!

I want to do the puddle lights on my TL, now i was wondering where i could get these lights from and also how are they wired. I was going to originally use these prewired 4-chip superflux LEDs and attach them to the side skirt of my a-spec kit.

Would these work and would they give the same effect as the puddle lights like this?

If using these LEDs are possible...how are they wired to the courtesy light exactly so they fade in and out when the door is opened and the unlock/lock button is pressed on the remote?

THanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by maddsiick; 07-16-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: edit picture links
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Nope that won't work and give you the same effect you're looking for. You need pot type lights thats how "bzyrice" did his. The ones you posted are from www.oznium.com

Im gonna do them with a special set directly from Japan. Probably do it in the next few weeks.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've been wanting to do this too for a long time except just under the sideview mirrors. Any help with the wiring would be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Here's a DIY in a nutshell:

I tried approaching this many ways. I thought front domes?? Nah. The best way to do the wiring is to get into the rear dome lights wiring. Do left and right sides seperately. Splice into there and bring the wires down behind the panels in the c-pillar. Then down towards the lower rear seat cushion. There is a rubber grommet there that leads outside the vehicle. You can drill a small hole through there run the wire through and silicone over it. Bring the wires toward the side of the car near the rear of the side sill. There you go, you have the power source for your puddle lights and they will dim with the interior lights! Of course you just want to add fuses, wire loom and zip tie everything as needed.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear Dome Light Wires

Positive lead goes to Gray/Blue
Negative lead goes to the White
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I've been thinking about doing a similar fade setup tuned with engine rpm.. what do you guys think? would that be something any of you are interested in? like a controller utilizing the rpm signal from the OBDII port as an input. On a multiple die LED I could do a light fade blue - red with every color in between.. or.. using single die white LED's as puddle lights you could do a synchronous light up..

RPM - LED illumination
2K - 1 light
2.25k - 2 lights
2.5k - 3 lights
:
:

I'll admit the project is kinda but I love controller-LED projects..
Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Thanks for the help guys, where can i get the puddle lights from? I like the ones rockyfeller has on his.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
King of NYC

Those are the JLevi ones but I advise against them. I have gone through 2 sets that were extensively waterproofed and water still got in em. I will be redoing them next week.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Whoa some used a pic of my car! haha.. aweseom.. anyways.. I explain how I did mine in my Buildup Post:
Here is a link directly to pics how I did it (post #26).
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=26

Here is link directly to where I got them from (post #131)
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=131

Hope this helps! Thanks to Rockyfeller and Carrielynn I was able to get this done!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

THanks guys, this was a really big help. I just ordered my puddle lights and ill be taking on this project this week. Bzyrice, thanks for the site with the puddle lights and for the DIY link. and Rockyfeller thanks for the advice.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by maddsiick
THanks guys, this was a really big help. I just ordered my puddle lights and ill be taking on this project this week. Bzyrice, thanks for the site with the puddle lights and for the DIY link. and Rockyfeller thanks for the advice.
np man.. I mean you used my pic in the first post, so I had to help you out haha.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

bzyrice...do your puddle lights come on when you open the doors as well? i read your post on the puddle lights and it says you cant turn the dome lights on for the puddle lights to come on with them. Is there a way to do this so that when you open the door the puddle lights come on as well?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by maddsiick
bzyrice...do your puddle lights come on when you open the doors as well? i read your post on the puddle lights and it says you cant turn the dome lights on for the puddle lights to come on with them. Is there a way to do this so that when you open the door the puddle lights come on as well?
Yes they do turn on when the doors open..

Basically ANYTIME your maplights are "ON" the puddle lights turn on.

What is also cool is that the puddle lights are also controlled by the maplight switch in the overhead console (where the sunroof and homelink switches are) .. So, if you turn "ON" the map lights using the switch, the puddle lights turn on. if you set the switch to "OFF", then the puddle lights will NOT turn on (I use this at work because I dont like to draw alot of attention to my car). If you leave the switch in the center (the "AUTO" selection), the puddle lights and the maplights all turn on and fade out when unlocking your car or opening the doors. I even posted a video of how it works..

Here is the video I posted in post #28:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsyLOIQJIQ
Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Drifting

btw.. the front passenger side puddle light on my car looked dim yesterday, so I went under the car to look to see what it was.. Dirt had gotten into my housing!! argh! So now I have to remove the side skirt and clean it out. So I suggest you try your hardest to really seal your puddle light. I ran out of silicon when I got to that one.. So I am going to clean it and silicon the crap out of it. Its been raining here alot lately so I am sure I hit a huge puddle and water somehow got inside. But at least the lights still work! I have 2 extra puddle lights just in case they go out. I would suggest you get extras also, so you wont have to wait to replace them if any of them go out.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 PM
King of NYC

Which lights did you get man, the plastic ones? Those are basically the JLevi ones. (These online guys all get their stuff from the same Asian suppliers, import them and mark up the price in dollars.) Those lights are going to be trouble. As I have said before they leaked over time.

I bought the other lights you see on that page.....they are the ones with the waterproof metal housing. The thing is I didn't buy them from autolumination because I am allergic to that company! I bought them off Ebay, same stuff around the same price. I tested them out and the SMT LED in there is BRIGHT! I am going to mount them somehow flush this time. I am not 100% sure how I am going to do this, I will figure out what works as I go along.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Drifting

My gf got the ones marked as "12 Volt Puddle & Accent Lights".. the 4 led ones. I think the price went up because she said she spent less than 30.00 for 12 of them. She bought extras just in case mine ever went out.. I asked her about autoilluminations. She said they were non hassle and shipped it pretty fast. Anyways, I made some housings for them so the unit itself is no longer exposed.. I put it in some PVC Pipe drains with some plexi glass and flush mounted them with those. If I could do it again, I would just use regular PVC and somehow seal them up. Look at my install for some ideas.. I walked around Home Depot for like 45 minutes trying to figure out what I was going to use lol .. went back a few times fter that to get more stuff.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
the way you guys wired them.... they also turn ON when you manually turn on your dome lights correct?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
the way you guys wired them.... they also turn ON when you manually turn on your dome lights correct?
yes.. When I have time I will make a switch to turn them off. But otherwise they are fine. I hardly use the maplights lol .. but its gotta be kinda funny seeing them turn on and off if I did decide to use them at night.

I was trying to get them to work ONLY with the rear map light switch, but I couldnt figure out how to do it. If you know how I will rewire mine.

Mine currently work with the front maplight switch even though they are wired to the rear map lights.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
i love 2G

only have dome lights and front map lights.

wired mine up to my dome light... then noticed that when i connect the negative to the battery and the positive to the dome.. it stays on..

so i hooked up a switch to switch from negative to puddle or dome wire to puddle or just off

so while im rolling.. i just flip my switch and voila~ haha..

i hate wires....
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

damn you guys are a really great help...ordered the same 12 Volt Puddle & Accent Lights...hope there bright as yours bzyrice.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Drifting

they should be since they r the same ones!