Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud owner of an 04 TL :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud owner of an 04 TL :)

Hi All, glad to join the community! I just picked up a used 2004 Acura TL. (Non-Navi, Could not find it no where and when I did find it, too many miles) It's my first car (Well.. on my 18th birthday I got an 1990 Integra but that doesn't count because I didn't have my license...... stupid me)

Anyway, I got it for $16,200. It has 43,000 miles and it's SSM. I got a 3 extended warranty as well. I have a few questions.

My side panels near the gear box (Where the center panel thing slide sup and down, the side of that) gets cold... Is that Normal?

My Steering turns a little to the right... I don't know if its the road or me, I have a 90 day dealer warranty So I'll give it a week or so and do some more testing.

My TL is part of the recall I registered my TL online at Acura.com, I should have no problem scheduling these things right and it should be free of charge? Will they give me a loaner?

I guess that's basically it, thanks all!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new TL.

If it's what I'm thinking, it's the brushed aluminum around the center console? Ya, that's supposed to get cold. It carries your cold air to the rear seats. I think it also gets warm if you turn the heat on.

The steering requires new alignment. Get the dealership to do it.

As for the recall, take it to any acura dealership and tell them about it. Covered under the recall and not really warranty. So it's free.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thorin78
Welcome and congrats on your new TL.

If it's what I'm thinking, it's the brushed aluminum around the center console? Ya, that's supposed to get cold. It carries your cold air to the rear seats. I think it also gets warm if you turn the heat on.

The steering requires new alignment. Get the dealership to do it.

As for the recall, take it to any acura dealership and tell them about it. Covered under the recall and not really warranty. So it's free.

Thanks for the quick reply, How long does it take to get the steering aligned? I'd hate to have to give up a weekend to get it taken care of.

Edit: Also, my Armrest does not close. Stays popped open no matter what I do. I think it needs to be replaced/have lock replaced. Any recommendations?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
How often does the steering wheel pull to the right? Cause for me ... depending on the road condition my steering wheel will have a mind of it's own.. I don't know if that's normal though lol.

Recall is probably for the power steering or the windshield thing... it's okay like a ton of TLs got that.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Oh yeah. Welcome to azine! Let the modding begin
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Racer

Thanks for the welcome.

lol, i'm afraid I'm keeping my baby stock. I'm not crazy about mdding... well, I do want some new rims but that can wait.

As far as the steering goes, I let the car go forward on a straight road and it would turn towards the right, I was also going 60 on the highway and let my hands go and the wheel slowly started moving to the right...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

yeah seems like an alignment issue. Unfortunetely I don't know how long that takes... as I've usually just toughed it out in my 89 cutlass supreme. [still has that issue up to date... I like to call it "auto-merge" lol]
Not crazy about modding? Thats understandable.. if you get rims will you also get some sort of suspension to top the rims off?! =D/
Old 06-09-2008, 11:51 PM
now with four rings

welcome! thank god for another SSM...

i would definitely get an alignment done...i just had one done (with new tires) and wow what a difference...my car was pulling to the right also...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome to AZ!!!! Get the alignment, it couldn't hurt. Congrats on your new ride, your gonna love it.....
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Racer

Pics are coming sometime this weekend! Theres a little body damage that I have to fix. The right side of my car has a minor scratch/dent thats about 3 inches. Dealer quoted me about 200 to fix. I'm also going to get an Oil Change on Saturday along with other stuff. Most likely spend 100 dollars on general maintenance (fluids, oil etc)

I don't know how to change coolant etc lol so I'll def have a mechanic do most of it and hopefully the bastard doesn't overcharge me for something so small. I'm hoping to just check how he does it and then learn as well as RTFM!

As far as my steering goes, I did some more testing and concluded that it was the road I was in. I was on the FDR today (NYC!) and was able to letmy wheel go for a full 10 sec and it stayed dead center.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

welcome to the boards, to answer your one unanswered question, i believe you have to be over 21 to drive a loaner vehicle.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Previous Owner

Originally Posted by Zigma
Thanks for the quick reply, How long does it take to get the steering aligned? I'd hate to have to give up a weekend to get it taken care of.

Edit: Also, my Armrest does not close. Stays popped open no matter what I do. I think it needs to be replaced/have lock replaced. Any recommendations?
All the alignment and the locks and everything takes less than a day. I usually drop my car off, and pick it up about 6 hours later. But does look like that if you're on an even road, your car is looking good.

Is the armrest pushed all the way back? I know that it can come forward, but if it's forward, you can't open the arm rest, so maybe it's all the way forward and can't engage the lock.

Again all your warranty should take care of these issues (depending on the dealership I suppose). The dealerships that I've gone to have all been great, some others on this forum, haven't had as much luck.

What tires are on the TL? I wonder if they're OEM 04s. the OEMs in 04 were Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. Those are terrible, I would be surprised if they haven't been replaced yet. Usually get 30K out of them I think. Terrible in snow as well. I replaced mine with Bridgestone LS-Zs at first and now Bridgestone RE960 Pole positions. Very nice tires. But I don't have to deal with snow anymore either.

It might be smart to change the oil and have them reset the MID. Then afterwards just go with the MID recommendations. It'll tell you what type of service you need as far as oil change, tire rotation, yada yada.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sol_da_man
welcome to the boards, to answer your one unanswered question, i believe you have to be over 21 to drive a loaner vehicle.
I'm 23

All the alignment and the locks and everything takes less than a day. I usually drop my car off, and pick it up about 6 hours later. But does look like that if you're on an even road, your car is looking good.

Is the armrest pushed all the way back? I know that it can come forward, but if it's forward, you can't open the arm rest, so maybe it's all the way forward and can't engage the lock.

Again all your warranty should take care of these issues (depending on the dealership I suppose). The dealerships that I've gone to have all been great, some others on this forum, haven't had as much luck.

What tires are on the TL? I wonder if they're OEM 04s. the OEMs in 04 were Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. Those are terrible, I would be surprised if they haven't been replaced yet. Usually get 30K out of them I think. Terrible in snow as well. I replaced mine with Bridgestone LS-Zs at first and now Bridgestone RE960 Pole positions. Very nice tires. But I don't have to deal with snow anymore either.

It might be smart to change the oil and have them reset the MID. Then afterwards just go with the MID recommendations. It'll tell you what type of service you need as far as oil change, tire rotation, yada yada.

I think those are the tires I'll have to double check tomorrow. I checked how worn they are and it seems like they still got some life in them. I did the penny/quarter test.

I read the manual for the oil change thing on how to reset it. Since I'll prob be taking it down the street I'll have to reset it myself. Right now though it says the oil is at 50% but I don't know how long the car has been sitting in the dealer (most likely a while) so I'll be changing the oil.

As far as the arm rest, my wife and I tried to slam it, push it etc and no go. Looks like it's busted. I don't think the dealer covers that.

Another problem I noticed is my mirrors don't work (The automatic switch to move them left and right, up down etc) It's something I can live but eventually would like to get fixed.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Previous Owner

Actually all the things listed may be covered under warranty, sounds like it still has the original warranty on it anyways. However, you won't know if you don't ask the service department.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Racer

I checked as far as the original warranty and it expired because it was only good for 4 years. I do have an extended warranty however. I don't think the dealer will cover stuff like that.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It could be just that the right tire just needs more air...

Also was the highway slanted, if so that could cause even a perfectly aligned car to pull to the side.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Racer

yeah the highway was slanted a little bit. I tested it again tonight and had no problems. Another question, There is a Midas around my work place. How much does it cost to get the transmission oil, motor oil, coolant, etc changed in a single shot? They have coupon online lol. The Oil change looks like it's 20 bux.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Racer

A stupid chick just rammed the back of my TL on the highway by not paying attention. She trashed my bumper (gonna need a new one) and also trashed my trunk door which now doesn't open. Will post pics tonight. I wonder how much its gonna cost... It was her fault, her insurance company is gonna pay (She had a company car)

This blows, I already pay $5200 a year for insurance, this isn't even my fault and it's gonna sky rocket it next year i'm sure.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Previous Owner

Sorry to hear about your TL but...

Why are you even driving if you have to pay $5200 a year for insurance?

For one, if it's her fault, then your premiums won't increase.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Lazy Idiot

^ Agree Completely, it is not your problem and your premium should not increase.

Dude, Sorry to hear about your Car.
$5200 is a lot for an insurance premium on the 3G TL. Have you been in a Wreck or do you have excessive speeding tickets ?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Racer

I just recently got my license, around March, that's the high cost.

http://zigmals.com/tl

thats how the damage looks like I wonder how much it's going to cost...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear about your TL but...

Why are you even driving if you have to pay $5200 a year for insurance?

For one, if it's her fault, then your premiums won't increase.

Um, I can afford the $5200 a year...It's only like 500 a month. Insurance is always crazy high in NYC.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

geez, thats nuts 5200 a year!~
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Racer

HUGE UPDATE:

ok, So I settled with her insurance company, the cut a check. With that, plus some out of my pocket, I did work to my TL.

Rear bumper was taken off, Fixed my trunk, and got my car painted again (All of it, ordered paint straight from acura)

PICS COMING!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Racer

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9060/img00007mm1.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9772/img00008an9.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9392/img00009oy3.jpg

I have not taken pics yet of the finished product, will do it today. Funny thing is... the autobody screwed up the job and my rear windows don't go up/down. They're gonna look into it this week, also they screwed up my seat belt in the back (HOW I DON'T KNOW! IT WAS WORKING!) and my left side light isn't working correctly, it must have been when they took it out when they were painting.

What a mess but hopefully it will get fixed/taken care of.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rimz
welcome! thank god for another SSM...

i would definitely get an alignment done...i just had one done (with new tires) and wow what a difference...my car was pulling to the right also...
+1

Yea the center console gets cold and feels real good at times. As for the steering wheel just get it aligned. Other that the car should be in top notch shape and begin the modding. Here is a list:

1. Aspec underbody
2. Type S Tails and Rear side markers
3. Debadge (depends on taste)
4. Tints
5. Rims 19"
6. Drop
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Since you are in NY, maybe we can link up...hehehe
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
+1

Yea the center console gets cold and feels real good at times. As for the steering wheel just get it aligned. Other that the car should be in top notch shape and begin the modding. Here is a list:

1. Aspec underbody
2. Type S Tails and Rear side markers
3. Debadge (depends on taste)
4. Tints
5. Rims 19"
6. Drop

Where in brooklyn do you live 8)

As far as mods, I'll start slowly. First thing I want to do is get tints etc. I can't drop it or touch anything because it will void my extended warranty Even changing the stock intake = void warranty from what I read.

I spotted a TL in fordham university today (Where I work) It was an 04, had COMTECH on the front windshield, was dropped with rims and ASPEC sticket on the back. I wonder who it was I took pics.