Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons about taking your car to the dealer vs mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pros and cons about taking your car to the dealer vs mechanic

ive got a squeeking noise in the front when ever my car goes over speed bumps or dips. it sounds like the springs coilovers.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
warranty- in or out?

and mechanic wise, what type are you talking about; like a big-o-tires place or an actual independent shop?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by friesm2000
warranty- in or out?

and mechanic wise, what type are you talking about; like a big-o-tires place or an actual independent shop?
warranty is out. im talking about a independant place
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
There are several types of mechanics out there.

You have the typical and most common dealership types. They've been brought up in the electronic controls age and have never done real troubleshooting on an engine. They are code readers and parts swappers. They have very little knowledge of how a car or engine work. They do not know even the basics. If there is no code stored they are lost. They can't interpret live data because they don't know what it means unless there's a manual right there telling them what to look for.

You have the career dealership guys who stay up to date on the latest happenings in the industry. They know what they're doing and why. They know the car inside and out and can diagnose in just a few minutes.

Sort of the same with the indys. The best kind IMO is the guys who started with carburetors and distributors and really learned how things work and why. They stayed up to date as computers became more common and use the electronics to make their job easier while also relying on the common sense learned in the pre computer days. Coming from a racing background is a big plus.

I say it just depends on the particular shop. Either can be good. The dealer is more likely to be able to take care of you should something go wrong. The indy will probably be cheaper and IMO on average the indy shops are better at troubleshooting. Judging by the posts on this forum I would never take my car to a dealer.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars

You have the typical and most common dealership types. They've been brought up in the electronic controls age and have never done real troubleshooting on an engine. They are code readers and parts swappers. They have very little knowledge of how a car or engine work. They do not know even the basics. If there is no code stored they are lost. They can't interpret live data because they don't know what it means unless there's a manual right there telling them what to look for.

You have the career dealership guys who stay up to date on the latest happenings in the industry. They know what they're doing and why. They know the car inside and out and can diagnose in just a few minutes.

Sort of the same with the indys. The best kind IMO is the guys who started with carburetors and distributors and really learned how things work and why. They stayed up to date as computers became more common and use the electronics to make their job easier while also relying on the common sense learned in the pre computer days. Coming from a racing background is a big plus.

I say it just depends on the particular shop. Either can be good. The dealer is more likely to be able to take care of you should something go wrong. The indy will probably be cheaper and IMO on average the indy shops are better at troubleshooting. Judging by the posts on this forum I would never take my car to a dealer.
thanks. you are the best poster on this forum
Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To add on to IHC's good advice, I'd say that you should check among people you know. Word of mouth can be a great thing. I've had the dealer (at least twice) give me a list of things that "need to be done" along with an incredibly high cost. Both times I politely declined the extra stuff that they insisted with critical.

One time part of the list was my front brakes. I knew the pads were low and had already planned to have them done (and fluid flush) at a Honda dealer.

I work in the IT field and I'm fortunate to work at an organization where the Fleet Manager is one of my end-users. He's actually a great guy and I often ask him about my car stuff and he's even taken a look at my car a couple of times.

If you're not a DIY'er, then I think you'd do well to find a good indy shop. Ask around. I have an independent shop that is great and I'm always happy to refer new customers to them.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are MY breakdowns of Pros and Cons having your car worked on by the dealer or independent shop. There are of course a ton of other factors and experiences that come to mind but these are just mine. I hope they help.

Dealer

Pros:
-Great for resale value
--Most buyers want dealer service records history even if they have
never taken the car to them, themeselves
-All worked performed is gauranteed
-- Although often the dealer can weasel themselves out mishaps,
but still theres a sense of security on the work performed on your
car
-You get a loaner!
-- Depends on what you end up with I genrally like test driving Acura
cars for a day or so, critiqueing them to friends and family
-Complimentary Car wash
-- A nice bonus if you ask me
-Service Records:
-- If work was performed earlier it could always be pulled up at that or
sometimes other dealerships database to inquiry past service
records

Cons:
-No gaurantee of quality work:
--Although the generally fix the underlying problem you may have to
make numerous trips back to the dealership for the same fix
-Expensive:
--This is a no brainer the stealership gots to feed their kids! And
their neighborhoods as well with your money!
-Suggest "Critical" fixes and maintanence issues/concerns:
--They are always willing to fix everything that's "wrong" with your
car

Independent Shops

Pros:
-More affordable
-Can exceed expectations with knowledge base of mechanics
-Dedicated Enthusiasts
--More passionate about vehicles and work performed hence more
quality wrench time
-Warranty
--Reputable shops offer no hassle warranty work on all service
-Knowledgable
--Know more about the ins/outs of your car than the dealer does!

Cons:
-Cheap or remanufactured parts
-Work is half-assed
-Poor skilled mechanics:
--Deadbeat mechanics that don't know the difference between an
allen wrench and a mallet
-Overpriced labor
--May end up charging you dealer prices for half the work labor rates
may flucuate on amount of work performed
-Replace unnecassary parts
--By mistake or on purpose to squeeze extra cash out of you
-No gaurantee/warrany
--the problem may or may not be permamently fixed no warrany
service
-No loaner
--Your car may be in the shop for days or even weeks
-Customer priority
--Your car may be put off in relation to the amount of work involved
and cars with less work may end up being worked on first.

As you can see this is just a general list and in no way summarizes all scenarios. This is just a quick rundown and I'm sure other members would contribute with more insight and input. These Pros/Cons are just my $0.02 cents.

Last edited by CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS; 12-20-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS
Here are MY breakdowns of Pros and Cons having your car worked on by the dealer or independent shop. There are of course a ton of other factors and experiences that come to mind but these are just mine. I hope they help.

Dealer

Pros:
-Great for resale value
--Most buyers want dealer service records history even if they have
never taken the car to them, themeselves
-All worked performed is gauranteed
-- Although often the dealer can weasel themselves out mishaps,
but still theres a sense of security on the work performed on your
car
-You get a loaner!
-- Depends on what you end up with I genrally like test driving Acura
cars for a day or so, critiqueing them to friends and family
-Complimentary Car wash
-- A nice bonus if you ask me
-Service Records:
-- If work was performed earlier it could always be pulled up at that or
sometimes other dealerships database to inquiry past service
records

Cons:
-No gaurantee of quality work:
--Although the generally fix the underlying problem you may have to
make numerous trips back to the dealership for the same fix
-Expensive:
--This is a no brainer the stealership gots to feed their kids! And
their neighborhoods as well with your money!
-Suggest "Critical" fixes and maintanence issues/concerns:
--They are always willing to fix everything that's "wrong" with your
car

Independent Shops

Pros:
-More affordable
-Can exceed expectations with knowledge base of mechanics
-Dedicated Enthusiasts
--More passionate about vehicles and work performed hence more
quality wrench time
-Warranty
--Reputable shops offer no hassle warranty work on all service
-Knowledgable
--Know more about the ins/outs of your car than the dealer does!

Cons:
-Cheap or remanufactured parts
-Work is half-assed
-Poor skilled mechanics:
--Deadbeat mechanics that don't know the difference between an
allen wrench and a mallet
-Overpriced labor
--May end up charging you dealer prices for half the work labor rates
may flucuate on amount of work performed
-Replace unnecassary parts
--By mistake or on purpose to squeeze extra cash out of you
-No gaurantee/warrany
--the problem may or may not be permamently fixed no warrany
service
-No loaner
--Your car may be in the shop for days or even weeks
-Customer priority
--Your car may be put off in relation to the amount of work involved
and cars with less work may end up being worked on first.

As you can see this is just a general list and in no way summarizes all scenarios. This is just a quick rundown and I'm sure other members would contribute with more insight and input. These Pros/Cons are just my $0.02 cents.
I am glad you added that all of that was just your . There alot of other things to consider and by this list it sounds like you are talking down about independent shops. Most of your Cons go along with the dealership... there is to much to correct but there is nothing wrong with ether. The dealer will be much more expensive as they have the "know how" to repair your Acura. I do all of my own work and if there is something i cant do i take it to an independent. Like said in here already, ask around, if you go to a shop, just the condition of it and how clean it is will speak volumes about the quality of the work. Without considering parts (Madison, WI), Acura Dealer Labor rate: 113.00 per hr. Independent Rate: 55-85 per hr. The saving right there are worth it! And there is NOTHING wrong with remanufactured or aftermarket parts as long as there is a warrenty.

Last edited by Comptechtl2367; 12-20-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
It all comes down to whom you trust more. Get some local reviews of some local shops. Angie's list might work out great.

Any good independent dealer will use whatever parts you want, including Acura parts, if you care. They might cost more. If they will not, then go somewhere else. Heck, most of them can probably tell you which parts are the same (rebadged) and know how to save you some money. Acura makes very few of their own parts, ya know.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
use Yelp in your area for independent mechanics reviews. can help you narrow it down
Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
I am glad you added that all of that was just your . There alot of other things to consider and by this list it sounds like you are talking down about independent shops. Most of your Cons go along with the dealership... there is to much to correct but there is nothing wrong with ether. The dealer will be much more expensive as they have the "know how" to repair your Acura. I do all of my own work and if there is something i cant do i take it to an independent. Like said in here already, ask around, if you go to a shop, just the condition of it and how clean it is will speak volumes about the quality of the work. Without considering parts (Madison, WI), Acura Dealer Labor rate: 113.00 per hr. Independent Rate: 55-85 per hr. The saving right there are worth it! And there is NOTHING wrong with remanufactured or aftermarket parts as long as there is a warrenty.
I was going to edit my post but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I was going to revise most of it after a re-read of my post.

I wanted to mention that you should always take your car to somone reputable who's built a name for themselves and their shop. You want to take an Acura TL to Honda/Acura specialty shop for even the smallest of services because they know the car as a whole and could even pinpoint potential problems you may have not seen otherwise. I come from a 630rwhp Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo so I know quiet a lot about independent shops hence, why I solely mentioned them in my posts. It's hit or miss unless you know who's working on your vehicle.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

I'm agree 100% with you!!!!