Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my sport shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my sport shifter

Over the past couple months I have been having problems with my sports shifter... I normally drive in the sport shifter mode, and while I'm driving, the car will suddenly switch over to automatic mode, even though I still have the gear selector in the sport shift... even the little green light on the dash is on the M, but the gear number box goes blank... This only happens randomly, but 3-4 times over the past two weeks... The car will not resume sport shifter mode even if I shift in and out of it, or even to another gear... I have to restart my car to have it work properly again...

I have taken my car into the dealer to look at this, and since they have been unable to dublicate it, they haven't found a problem... has anyone else experienced this, or knows what's going on?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I haven't seen this issue before...

Early build 04TL? Have you done any update of ECU yet? Do you have problems with MIL (check engine light) issue?

I'm not saying they're related, but you car may be acting better after all the necessary update has been loaded into your car...
Old 07-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wowsers.. that's a new one.

Since the Sport shift mode is really just a switch that tells the computer not to shift on its own, and your "manual" shift just tells the computer "go ahead".. it could be something as simple as a broken switch in there. But of course they'll do nothing till it happens to them.

My only problem with the SS mode is that it ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift on me 90% of the time.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys, I finally got someone else that says the 2nd to 3rd shift does not happen about 50% of the time in hard accel. Is there a fix to this??? Love the car though!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PalmBchTL
Hey guys, I finally got someone else that says the 2nd to 3rd shift does not happen about 50% of the time in hard accel. Is there a fix to this??? Love the car though!

How hard do you usually accelerate? Did your 2nd gear upshift to 3rd in the mid-level of RPM range? Or it automatically shift to 3rd when nearly reaching the redline at SS mode?

Except 1st to 2nd and the redline auto shift, any auto shift at SS mode coud be abnormal... IMO.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

not that it shifts on its own, but when you're screaming along, and you knock it to go into 3rd, it just flat out ignores you and climbs right up the revs.. You either have to hit it a few more times, or come off the throttle and then hit it.

And it's not that I'm hitting it too softly, cuz any other shift goes with half the movement. It just flat out ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift when under stress.

My 2000 TL did the exact same thing. Not surprised, same tranny and same programming probably.

PalmBch, call it into client services, they told me that they wont' look at stuff until people start calling it in so lets let them know about it.

Anyone else, try this in the 5AT. Start out at a light in SS, floor it anywhere around 3/4 or more throttle, it will automatically go to 2nd gear of course, probably pretty close to redline, then when it hits about 4500 or 5000 on the tach, knock it to 3rd while keeping the throttle down, do not make any changes in gas. See if it shifts, or delays in shifting, or just goes all the way up to redline. Dont' worry about hurting the car, if it hits redline the computer will protect it, you're not going to hurt the car. If it doesn't shift, then let off the throttle then try 3rd again and it should go.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks Sherlock, I'll try it today. Meanwhile, I could see Maxwell seems to stay cool now and start to give you some fun.

Before testing it, I like to state some of info Acura has said of "SS mode":

A variety of safety features help protect the engine and drivetrain from damage. The transmission will upshift from first to second automatically if the driver doesn't command an upshift in time.

In second, third and fourth, the transmission won't upshift without a command from the driver; the [u]ECU cuts off fuel flow to the engine[/b] if there is danger of over-revving the engine.

The transmission [u]will upshift itself[/b] to prevent engine damage in the rare situation where the fuel cutoff alone is unable to prevent further engine over revving (as could happen on a steep downhill).

Plus, when downshifting, the transmission won't execute a driver-commanded downshift that would send the engine beyond redline in the lower gear. To prevent lugging away from a stop in a high gear, the Sequential SportShift transmission will automatically downshift to first gear as it comes to a stop, even in manual mode.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Sherlock
wowsers.. that's a new one.

Since the Sport shift mode is really just a switch that tells the computer not to shift on its own, and your "manual" shift just tells the computer "go ahead".. it could be something as simple as a broken switch in there. But of course they'll do nothing till it happens to them.

My only problem with the SS mode is that it ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift on me 90% of the time.

try this and see if the shift isn't immediate... when you are driving, start by automatically shifting to second when you are at a stand still... and then whenever you want to, shift to 3rd, it should do it without any delay or lag...

also, what's the update of the ECU? and not I don't have any problems check engine light...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PhiPsiTony
... ...
also, what's the update of the ECU? and not I don't have any problems check engine light...

The ECU's firmware of VINs before 12xxx or 14xxx (don't remember, sorry) require to be refreshed. This will help correct irregular MIL (check engine light) flash issues. Some early VIN 04TLs could get rid of this issue by simply upload the new software. But others may require the further replacement of parts of engine/ECU in order to get fixed.

What your last six-digit VINs? For example, 0153xx...
Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rets
The ECU's firmware of VINs before 12xxx or 14xxx (don't remember, sorry) require to be refreshed. This will help correct irregular MIL (check engine light) flash issues. Some early VIN 04TLs could get rid of this issue by simply upload the new software. But others may require the further replacement of parts of engine/ECU in order to get fixed.

What your last six-digit VINs? For example, 0153xx...
0089xx

My guess is that I do have an early build based on my number, so what do I do, just ask the dealer to update my firmware? and how do I know if they've done that already or not? is there a way to check the current version in my car?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got the 2nd to 3rd shift problem about 50% of the time. thought it was just me, but seems like others are experiencing it too. as others have stated, the shift is totally ignored during hard acceleration but is fine during normal acceleration. my vin's in the 00200's. think the ecu refresh will fix this?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PhiPsiTony
0089xx

My guess is that I do have an early build based on my number, so what do I do, just ask the dealer to update my firmware? and how do I know if they've done that already or not? is there a way to check the current version in my car?

If you're gonna have service soon, you could ask them to do all the TSB or update for your car. Besides this update, your Memory Seat Module may need to be updated if it's not working right, as well as you may be among the recall of 2nd gear inspection if your's 5AT.

If you have no need to get back to see the dealer, you probably could wait for the recall and do everything together.

The computer module from Acura dealership should be easy to detect what firmware you're having now... IMO.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Kinda' funny...I just talked to the "Supervisor" of Palm Beach Acura and they said they have never heard of such problem. This is the same guy that said there was no problem with the head liners! He had no idea that there was any "updates" that needed to be done. Man I tell you...I love this car. I am not an Acura basher, but dam man. I have had the car 2 months. That G35 that I pased up sure is looking like a mistake...NAAAA...No way!

Abyss
5SS that doesnt work!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

the ECU flash does not fix the 2nd to 3rd issue, I got it done a month ago and it still ignores my shifts.

Dealers always say they've never heard of it, it's programmed into them by electroshock therapy their first week of employment. "have you heard of" *CLICK* (robotic monotone voice) NO SIR, we have not heard of that issue. You mean you've never heard that the car stops when it runs out of gas ?? *tee hee*

</sarcasm>

as I said above.. lets keep calling client services and telling them.. everyone test it and try it.. the more we call and post on here if you do, then the next person can call and when they say no one's reported it, we can tell them oh yes they have...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Sherlock
not that it shifts on its own, but when you're screaming along, and you knock it to go into 3rd, it just flat out ignores you and climbs right up the revs.. You either have to hit it a few more times, or come off the throttle and then hit it.

And it's not that I'm hitting it too softly, cuz any other shift goes with half the movement. It just flat out ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift when under stress.

My 2000 TL did the exact same thing. Not surprised, same tranny and same programming probably.

PalmBch, call it into client services, they told me that they wont' look at stuff until people start calling it in so lets let them know about it.

Anyone else, try this in the 5AT. Start out at a light in SS, floor it anywhere around 3/4 or more throttle, it will automatically go to 2nd gear of course, probably pretty close to redline, then when it hits about 4500 or 5000 on the tach, knock it to 3rd while keeping the throttle down, do not make any changes in gas. See if it shifts, or delays in shifting, or just goes all the way up to redline. Dont' worry about hurting the car, if it hits redline the computer will protect it, you're not going to hurt the car. If it doesn't shift, then let off the throttle then try 3rd again and it should go.

Sherlock, I tried to replicate this in my car today, nothing happened though. My car is working ok...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1,014 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
[/size]

Sherlock, I tried to replicate this in my car today, nothing happened though. My car is working ok...
me too.

But this does not mean you don't have a problem, and I hope you can get it fixed because you shouldn't have to worry about something like this when trying to enjoy your TL and drive it the way it is meant to be driven
Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

And I dare think.. only cuz I notice every single thing about my car.. that the tranny is starting to slip.. some shifts kinda rev up between now.. and when I back out of the driveway, go from R to D, give it a second or two like I normally do, then hit the gas gently.. sometimes it hasn't engaged yet and takes a bit of revving then it jumps in. Why am I NOT enjoying this. I'm at 13,500 isn't that about dead on for the 5AT to go kaput ??

I think I'll go have some LEMON PIE.