3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new TL-S owner. QUESTIONS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I have a 2005 Acura TL with 118K on her. Suspension components are starting to go and it's just going to be a hassle to fix it all. So ...Im really debating on buying this 2007 TL-S AT Ebony TL. It has 49,548 miles on the OD. It is selling for $23,899. I've gotten them to give me 11K for my current TL.

But my real purpose for this thread is: What problems and little things should I take notice on when I test drive this vehicle in extreme detail.

What issues should I be apparent of on the Type S model? I hope it doesnt suffer from more issues than my base model TL.

Is the price exceptional and does this look like a good buy to you? Thanks everyone.

PS: What mods in my signature will fit the TL-S? I've already DE-modded it. She's stock again. Besides the A-Spec and brakes.

Another thing I may add is. It was locally owned in my area and has had only one owner. The paint is in very good condition. The only defect if at all upon me looking it over was a small scuff on the front bumper, looks like the previous owner hit a curb slightly. No biggie, I can easily touch that up and it'll look mint again. The interior was free of any damage. Leather in very good condition. When I test drove it. It happened to be raining which sucked for me. Since I wanted to test the performance and to check the sound of the engine for any knocking or weird noises. The transmission felt literally exactly like my 05's tranny. And I plan on flushing the fluid and using the 3X3 on it IF I buy it.

So I will take a further look and listen to the engine next time I see it. But so far so good. They will be giving me 11K for my 05 TL with 118K on it. Sorry it's not Ebony. It's Bronze.

So I go in Friday for my next visit with the Dealer.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-23-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
So I go in Friday for my next visit with the Dealer.
Just check for the usual stuff like bodywork, and abuse, etc. As far as mods, Blue AEM CAI/ Blue P2R Spacer/ ATLP Jpipe/ RV6 Test Pipe/ ATLP Base Exhaust/ MT A-Spec Suspension/ Blue RV6 strut bar/ Front Type S Stabilizer bar/ Rear Progress 24mm Stabilizer bar/ will all fit from your sig. The only thing you may not want to put on is the base exhaust since you'll have a gap because of the larger type-s tips, and the MT A-spec suspension may not work...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance
Just check for the usual stuff like bodywork, and abuse, etc. As far as mods, Blue AEM CAI/ Blue P2R Spacer/ ATLP Jpipe/ RV6 Test Pipe/ ATLP Base Exhaust/ MT A-Spec Suspension/ Blue RV6 strut bar/ Front Type S Stabilizer bar/ Rear Progress 24mm Stabilizer bar/ will all fit from your sig. The only thing you may not want to put on is the base exhaust since you'll have a gap because of the larger type-s tips, and the MT A-spec suspension may not work...
Thanks! I'm still going to try to see what the base exhaust looks like on it. I doubt the clearance is going to be an issue on the sides, because even at this very moment the tips just about touch the plastic sides. So i'd like them far from the it. Plus.. I dont think i've ever seen a TL-S with ATLP base. This may look good.

If anything i'd be interested in selling the Base exhaust for a trade of XLR8 with about the same amount of use. It's been on there roughly a year. So i'll decide that later. Thanks for the input though!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM

One thing I did notice upon looking it over was that the rotors look a bit used. They had quite a lip on them. This may be because of them being still original. And another thing I took notice of was that the steering wheel around 60MPH or so seemed to have a slight tremble to it, which made me think it may have a bent rim or something. I told the Dealer about it and he said that would all be done before selling it to me. I've looked into bringing it to an independent mechanic before buying it as well. Anyone think thats necessary? My previous dealership encounter with my 05 left a bad taste in my mouth with them selling it to me with a bent rim and me having to fix that. Also not even 4 months later me replacing the engine because of hardly any oil changes etc. All from the previous owner. I am making sure this time around, there is no mistake made.

The best part about it is, i'm buying it from a Volkswagen dealer and there is a base grey TL same year and about the same miles next to it going for not even $2K less.

So 11K for my current TL. One owner on the Type S, and financing 15K. Not too bad. Hope this one ages better than the last TL. Especially with me owning it from such low miles. And the paint's mint. My older TL was at 72K when I bought it. And it's engine was replaced at 78K. :/
Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This goes two ways, I def feel like your getting a good trade in price on such a used car especially considering the suspension is starting to go. But I also this the price for the TL-S is a little high considering it has fairly high miles on it. If they wont replace the rotors and fix the vibration at 60mph, see if they will knock a few grand off the price for ya...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Test drove it. Went up to 80 and made sure to test it on some turns. Everything else seems fine. No weird knocks or anything. I listened to the engine very closely. Looks all good. And I already know the regular maintenence I need to do to it. Since i did it on my TL months earlier..

So today is the day. When I next update this. I may be the next owner of a TL-S.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 AM

So i've decided on not going forward with the TL-S. Looking into a much more enjoyable car for my sport purposes. Which the answer is: a Mitsubishi Evo X GSR.

I'll be keeping the TL until September. I love the car, just it's not built or made for the needs I wish to have. And Ironically the 2010 TL-SH-AWD is more expensive than a fully loaded EVO GSR. Even with the Evo's 40GB HD and Navigation with a 740Watt sound system. I like my TL..just.. This is more worth it for 'me' in the end. Did I mention it 'comes' with a 3 year 60K warranty?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Burning Brakes

LOL dat shit is funny
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
So i've decided on not going forward with the TL-S. Looking into a much more enjoyable car for my sport purposes. Which the answer is: a Mitsubishi Evo X GSR.

And Ironically the 2010 TL-SH-AWD is more expensive than a fully loaded EVO GSR. Even with the Evo's 40GB HD and Navigation with a 740Watt sound system. I like my TL..just.. This is more worth it for 'me' in the end. Did I mention it 'comes' with a 3 year 60K warranty?
Two completely different cars. The GSR is the entry level with a 5 speed and doesn't have the upgraded items of the MR and as far as comparing it to the SH-AWD TL, there is no comparison as the TL is a much more refined car. I can't stand the 4G TL and would never purchase one, but with the same token I wouldn't purchase the Evo, but your money, your call.
With some performance add-ons, and maybe even changing the gears, you'll certainly have a screamer.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Two completely different cars. The GSR is the entry level with a 5 speed and doesn't have the upgraded items of the MR and as far as comparing it to the SH-AWD TL, there is no comparison as the TL is a much more refined car. I can't stand the 4G TL and would never purchase one, but with the same token I wouldn't purchase the Evo, but your money, your call.
With some performance add-ons, and maybe even changing the gears, you'll certainly have a screamer.
I agree. Two completely different cars. Not even same class. BUT. The GSR is faster and cheaper than the MR. And it comes with plenty of options to make it either better or as good as the MR. Minus the 6-speed and 360HP or so.

And saying the TL is a more refined car. Sure with leather and some nice features.. But the performance is the true beauty of the GSR. The TL doesnt even compare in that category. I like also that you can play DVD's and it has video inputs for say...a PS3. And it gives you all your performance stats you'd need.

I love the TL and always will. Especially mine. But what I want it to do isnt possible plus I can keep the Evo stock and with a nice warranty on-top.

I know this is a hellova transition from a TL to an Evo. lol....
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 AM

I find it a little bit ebaressing that I even almost got an Evo... I eventually got a Type S 6MT and said it's fine. I love my 29MPG apposed to the Evo. I did a lot of hw when I was at this point in the thread.. I just loved the Type S. Two very different cars. Maybe it's because speed isn't everything that makes a car great. It's it's design and quality, the Evo felt cheap... :P

And I did get a good warranty up to 100K beating anything the Evo offered. Plus not a fan of 4CL's. Haha.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I got my 07 tl-s for 24k even with 29,910 miles on it...I'd haggle with them and get some money off. Atleast 1k or 2k off.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
I got my 07 tl-s for 24k even with 29,910 miles on it...I'd haggle with them and get some money off. Atleast 1k or 2k off.
This was an old thread, I was commenting back after my stupid Evo comment. I stuck with a Type S.

I got mine in CT for: 24K MINT NBP 6MT with 34 thousand on the OD. And I got an extended warranty up to 100K.