3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible to deactivate seatbelt warning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible to deactivate seatbelt warning?

has anyone figured out a way to deactivate the beeping???

sometimes i don't feel like wearing a seatbelt and those three beeps every five minutes drive me insane. my dealer told me there might be a way but the techs refused to do it. they also refused to sell me a belt buckle b/c of the smart air bags.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your name says it all.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Racer

To deactivate the beeping, wear the seatbelt :-)
Old 12-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally posted by marquis
To deactivate the beeping, wear the seatbelt :-)
:smackhead
Old 12-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Cruisin'

Wrap it wround the back of the seat.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Any suggestions here would result in the potential lawsuit in the future when any unfortunate accidents happens. I guess Acura dealer thinks about the same thing 'cause it's against the law.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Racer

you legal eagles are so sharp. if there were a federal reg that required an annoying beep every 2 minutes, there might be some liability for deactivating the warning. since this system exceeds safety requirements, there would be no liability for injury resulting in an accident where no seat belt was used (otherwise, the auto industry would already be bankrupt.) similarly, deactiving a beep that is not required in the first place would not subject acura to a lawsuit. as for a website incurring liability for advice posted by random members on a message board, that's even more preposterous. so smartasses - leave the lawyering for people who know what they're talking about.

if anyone can ANSWER my question, i'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to know too!!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Racer

Oh brother, here we go again............
Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Instructor

You gotta be nuts not to wear the seatbelt every time, no matter how short your drive, without fail. But, if you insist on disabling the beeper (which only beeps for a few seconds) I am sure there is a little wire to the beeper that you can locate and snip. As for the potentially more annoying light on the speedo which never goes off if you don't buckle up, a little square of black electricians tape will do the job for you.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by meathead
you legal eagles are so sharp.

if anyone can ANSWER my question, i'd really appreciate it.
I just try to help. If you insist no-seatbelt is good for you, you have right to do so and absolutely can disable that annoying beeps.

Since the old lady drinking hot coffee in McDonald's and burnt her body a decade ago, after she won that lawsuit, I have to believe ppl in states can sue you for anything.

Wish you can get what you wanna know. I know some electrionic shops can do that in my city. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Racer

you didnt hear it from me... but the little buzzer thingie is mounted below the left side kickplate on the driver side.....

do what you want with it...

or you could always just wear your seatbelt and not have to worry about it..

or you could go to the junk yard.. find a 03-04 honda accord or a 99-03 TL tahts been stripped.. and take the seat belt out of it.. cut the metal attach thing and place it in your seatbelt lock.. thus the computer will always think you belt is on...

and for all you lawyer people out there trying a make a quick buck.. :thefinger:

***Disclaimer... none of the previous information submitted should be used for on-road driving or to by-pass the safety feature installed by Acura. I assume no liability for your actions..... Always buckle up. ITS THE LAW!.. The buzzer is there for a reason... ****
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Racer

Isn't there a MANDATORY seat belaw in all 50 states?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Its not 6 speed.

Meathead I have an idea, I think the sensor for the seatbelt is in were it locks so cut a buckle from a piece of junk or from the junk yard and leave it in, Through it on the side when you decide to use your belt.

Or just keep your music up all the way.

I found the beep annoying as well but one good part is that I always buckle up now.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:17 PM
What's a TL?

Meathead...rather than re-wire the seatbelt chime, maybe you need a little re-wiring yourself (poor attempt at humor)...I am actually a big fan of the seatbelt, but I do hate driving through a parking lot and it starts beeping before I have had a chance to get the belt on.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro

So there are at least two retards on this board who don't value their life a bit.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:10 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by dulnev
So there are at least two retards on this board who don't value their life a bit.
Who is that directed toward?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Racer

better not be me...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rets - The lady you refer to (Stella Liebeck) was actually pretty justified in her lawsuit against McDonald's. The media made a lot of fun of the lawsuit, but that didn't make it less relevant.

Here's what I remember about the lawsuit that I read about a few years back:

(1) Stella received third degree burns that required medical attention. Why? Because McDonald's served their to-go coffee at about 180 Deg F so that it would still be warm when the customer got to their final location. Most home coffee brewers put out coffee at approximately 140 Deg F, so the coffee McDonald's served was significantly hotter than what you would serve yourself.

(2) Stella wasn't driving the car when she was injured.

(3) McDonald's had hundreds (well over 300, I believe) of previous complaints about customers receiving burns from the coffee being too hot. All of the previous complaints were settled out of court. Did McDonald's fix the problem? No. And that leads to ...

(4) Stella didn't sue for the millions of dollars that she was awarded. Her main lawsuit was to recover the cost of medical bills that she incurred that McDonalds didn't pay. The jury awarded the millions to her from "punitive" damages against McDonalds, since McDonalds had a potential safety problem that they didn't seem to care about fixing. "Punitive" damages are usually high-money penalties placed against a company to coerce them into fixing a problem.

Guess what? McDonalds now serves their coffee at a lower temperature as a result.

One thing that I found out over time is that a lot of lawsuits where there are awarded large sums of money usually have some basis for the claim. The lawsuits may sound funny because all we usually hear about from the media is the "sound byte". To get the real facts, you almost need to be sitting in the courtroom.

If you want to read more about Stella's lawsuit, you can find more info at Stella Awards, where humorous and frivolous lawsuits are described in more detail. If you subscribe, your E-Mail will not be released by Randy (the author of Stella Awards).
Old 12-30-2003, 06:19 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by jimthegreek
better not be me...
I'm right there with you....personal attacks must be more clearly directed...that way, we all know when to be pissed!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Whoa! Heated conversation!

Slightly off topic but if don't wear a safety belt and get hurt in an accident, your insurance (health insurance / medical rider on auto policy) WILL NOT cover you. Back in the late eighties, most states passed laws that said insurance companies are not responsible to cover injuries as a result of not wearing a safety belt.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by dulnev
ok so i work out of my car and if i drive from 1 house to the next i should put my seatbelt on drive 200 feet and undo my seatbelt , and do that over and over? all day long just so that i dont have to hear a beeping? i think not!!! i (if i had a 3rd gen would demand the remove it or loose a sale)((i will be buying 1 next year though)
Old 12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Seatbelts have been proven over and over and over to save lives... yet there are folks who refuse to wear them. This is the amazing part. You know if you ever sold your car to some one unsuspecting.... you gotta understand that you are liable for this.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:57 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by shingles
Seatbelts have been proven over and over and over to save lives... yet there are folks who refuse to wear them. This is the amazing part. You know if you ever sold your car to some one unsuspecting.... you gotta understand that you are liable for this.
There is no way...the chime is not a legal necessity, so you can remove it without a problem. Its like removing the fog lights and the new buyer dies due to lack of visibility. THe fog lights are not legally required anyway, so if you remove them its not a problem.

Again, I am a supporter of seatbelts and the relating laws, but just want to enter my 2 cents
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Advanced

man if you can sue because you "didn't know the steam coming from the coffee means it is hot", don't you think someone can make this work?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Advanced

I cut the wire going into the seatbelt buckle in my old car to disable the light and chime. In my friends car I had to cut the wire, then tie the two wires together to disable it.

You can try going that route to fool the system into thinking the belt is always buckled, go into the back seat and look at the floor where the seltbelt is attached to the car, there should be some type of wire going under the carpet or something.

As for all the people doing the name calling, I'm sure you do dangerous things that could be avoided, so look in your own backyard before calling others stupid.

There is more danger riding a motorcycle than driving in a car without a seatbelt, but I still put over 10K miles on my Duc this year.

Wearing your seltbelt is smart, but someone taking a 7 minute ride to the store at 25MPH on backroads isn't an idiot because they didn't buckle-up. And if you still say he is you must be more of an idoit for not realizing that some action or activity you do is more dangerous than riding without a seat belt.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

¿GotJazz?

Thanks for tipping her name. I couldn't get it while doing the case study. Lots of ppl assumed that she had been a gold-digger 'cause of a cup of spilling coffee. Then MCD later negotiated a secret settlement with her.

It was a shock to me at that time.

Folks. Sorry for being out of topic.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Advanced

I'm still wondering who is going to sue who?

Do you think meathead is going to sue the member of the forum that he asked for information?

You can find bomb schematics on the internet, you can read ways of terrorism, or how to properly crack a bank vault.

Passing information is perfectly legal, and if meathead does something to his car he is totally responsible for it. If he gets hurt and wants to go to court and cry that he read how to do it on the internet then let him, it would be funny to watch.

Nevermind the fact that he only wants to disable a god damn chime, it's not like he is asking how to take the seatbelts out of his car.

I took the airbags out of my car, I just about gutted the whole thing. I use it only on the track and there is nothing illegal about what I did. The people who gave me info on gutting it didn't know what my intentions were.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Unhappy

Originally posted by TooLate
I'm still wondering who is going to sue who?
No one is going to be sued.

I just started that joking. My fault. That's the bad "excuse" not to give him an answer. I didn't mean he will do anything bad to us, but am afraid of someone getting injured in the future would try to find everyone he could find to blame for.

No one shoud be hurt over here.

Sorry for misunderstanding.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:37 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Things that make you go Hmm...

Wonder if Meathead realizes that should he get in an accident while not wearing a seat belt that the air bags would most likely KILL him rather than act as a secondary protection device? Probably not. Here's my recommendation...Wear the belt around your neck. That way once you do have a small incident, the belt can act as your own personal Darwin award....If I read about anybody actually doing this, it would not surprise me. If anyone trys to indicate that I told meathead to wrap a seatbelt around his neck and test the impact worthyness of this car, I will deny it. I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Troublemaker

seriously... i dont think its neccesary to wear seatbelts when driving across a shopping plaza parkign lot... however i still wear it

Besides... its second nature by now, i dont even notice when i am putting on my seatbelt, and i bet most of you find it second nature too ... its not that hard.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

haven't we already had like 2 or 3 threads on this?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Banned

Re: possible to deactivate seatbelt warning?

Originally posted by meathead
has anyone figured out a way to deactivate the beeping???

sometimes i don't feel like wearing a seatbelt and those three beeps every five minutes drive me insane. my dealer told me there might be a way but the techs refused to do it. they also refused to sell me a belt buckle b/c of the smart air bags.
First of all, hello and welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting your TL, you will love it, even with the seatbelt warning.

I could give you my opinion, but instead will link you to a previous thread where this very subject was discussed, and I had several posts laying out my thoughts on the subject. So if you are interested, please feel free to read what I and others think on this subject.

-

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...0&pagenumber=1

-

Have a safe and great New Year
Old 12-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Racer

Thanks for the help. So has anyone actually been sucessful at deactivating this thing?

Someone in a previous post indicated that an '03 TL seatbelt clip won't fit in an '04...that was my best idea...(i took measurements at the dealer, the '03 clip was seriously only about 2 millimeters off, but i guess that's enough...)

and for the seatbelt nazis - i really can't believe you care so much whether a random guy you don't know uses his seatbelt or not that you can't just not open this topic and throw your .02 cents in. seriously, let us CRAZY out of control FREAKS talk about driving w/o seatbelts in peace. i promise i won't bust in your thread about who makes the safest child car seat.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 AM
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimthegreek
[B]you didnt hear it from me... but the little buzzer thingie is mounted below the left side kickplate on the driver side.....

thanks bro. but, um...what is the kickplate again?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by meathead
[B]
Originally posted by jimthegreek
thanks bro. but, um...what is the kickplate again?
That's the plastic trim piece next to your left foot that your left leg will shatter on if you crash and submarine under your steering wheel without a seatbelt.

:devil:

In all seriousness, this is the third thread of this type, and no one was willing to help in any of the three. Why don't the three of you who want to disable your seatbelts just PM each other and figure it out?

Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fsttyms1
ok so i work out of my car and if i drive from 1 house to the next i should put my seatbelt on drive 200 feet and undo my seatbelt , and do that over and over? all day long just so that i dont have to hear a beeping? i think not!!! i (if i had a 3rd gen would demand the remove it or loose a sale)((i will be buying 1 next year though)
Well I bet you will not be buying one then if you "demand" it be removed by the dealership, "otherwise they will lose the sale".

If they were to meet your "demand", and were to be caught, it would cost them more than any profit they will make off of your one sale, Furthermore, if you were to get into a serious accident and be either crippled or killed while not wearing a seatbelt, then the lawyers would have a field day by suing the dealership as part of their "Shotgun effect" of suing everyone and anyone they can think of to collect their huge settlements or awards.

I'm not knocking you, but just stating a point about your unrealistic "demand" on a dealership.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 PM
Banned

Although I would like to shut up the thing I would not tamper with the seatbelt buckle sensor. The airbags and seatbelts are parts of a single system, whether you wear the belt or not tells the computer with what force to deploy the airbag. Therefore, if you circumvent it your airbag may deploy inappropriately. The way to do it is to get rid of the chime thing, unfortunately its a multipurpose chime so you would shut other things up too!! F-CK IT!!!!!!!!!! We are damned to wear the belt all the time!!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

vtechbrain,

I agree what you said. It's the critical decision how to disable your chime or seatbelt function. If you don't follow the way 04TL's airbags react, you have to change 04TL's system to match your modification.

Acura said:

DUAL-STAGE, DUAL-THRESHOLD FRONT AIRBAGS

Dual-stage airbags for the driver and front passenger are designed to provide maximum protection for the head and chest during a moderate to severe front collision, while simultaneously helping to reduce injuries and cost. They do both through the use of a dual-stage, dual-threshold airbag technology.

Each airbag inflator has two stages.

During a severe collision both stages fire simultaneously to provide quick inflation of the airbag.

But during a moderate collision the igniters fire in sequence, slowing the deployment rate of the airbags.

Besides the severity of the collision, the modules interpret a signal from the seat belt buckle switch that indicates whether the occupants are wearing their seat belts.

If the front passengers are not wearing their seat belts, the airbags will deploy at the same threshold as conventional airbags.

If the front passengers are wearing their seat belts, the airbags will inflate at a slightly higher threshold.
[COLOR=chocolate]
Old 12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Z Factor
Well I bet you will not be buying one then if you "demand" it be removed by the dealership, "otherwise they will lose the sale".

If they were to meet your "demand", and were to be caught, it would cost them more than any profit they will make off of your one sale, Furthermore, if you were to get into a serious accident and be either crippled or killed while not wearing a seatbelt, then the lawyers would have a field day by suing the dealership as part of their "Shotgun effect" of suing everyone and anyone they can think of to collect their huge settlements or awards.

I'm not knocking you, but just stating a point about your unrealistic "demand" on a dealership.
Is there a law that says cars need to have a chime?? If so, why aren't all the car companies out of business by now?

I'll ask again, how can disabling a chime be a basis for a law suit? The chime is simply a curtasy that Acura volantarily installed in the car, there is no regulation demanding it in the car.
It's not like the dealer is taking the seatbelts out, they are disabling a chime.

Quick Reply: possible to deactivate seatbelt warning?