Plasmaglow lightning eyes installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Plasmaglow lightning eyes installation help

i purchased this product for my 06 TL

http://www.plasmaglow.com/lightning-eyes-headlight-kit/

it is a string of led lights that 3m to your bumper to add that Audi/Mercedes look to your car. im not sure how its gonna turn out, looks wise, but i thought i would try anyways.

it seems pretty simple, find a place you want it, clean it, 3m the lights, then wire.

i just wanted some advice on the wiring, at the end of the led lights there are + and - wires. i know the - goes to any ground location.

Where would you recomend to tap the + wire into (exactly). i want the LED's to turn on when my headlights are on. if i open the hood of my car i can see a bunch of wires that are running to the back of the headlight.

i was hoping one of my fellow acura people might know which wire exactly i should tap into. a picture would help.

side note the instructions say a 12V source for the + wire.

thank you for your help.

carlos
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
This is the 4G TL section, not the 3G TL section. You may get more responses if you get this thread moved there.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well how do you want to control it? Do you want it to turn on when you turn on your parking lights? Head lights?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Advanced

if a moderator could move this, i would appreciate it. i want them to be on when i turn on my headlights. and off when my headlights are off.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
i think you would be better off wirng it to a switch...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

I would either wire it to a switch (if you can find one) or to your parking lights.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Advanced

like a switch i mount inside my car? it seems like that would make this install 10 times harder since i would have to wire all the way to my dash. why would this be better if i want them on only when my headlights are on?

what would be the benefit to wiring it to parking lights?

i just want to get all the info i can before doing the actual install.

thanks for all your help.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

Yes the switch (inside the car) install is a bit harder. If you don't care to have it separate, don't worry about it.

The benefit of going with parking light wiring over headlight is that you have a bit more control. You can run the LED strip without having to have the headlights on. It's just a matter of personal preference. (Also I don't think you can wire the LEDs to the same circuit that the HID headlight is on, but I'm not 100% on that.)

Good luck!

Also you mentioned using the 3M tape. I have tried this before putting lights on my mirrors and had it peel off after about 12 hours, and I was very careful about cleaning the surface before applying. I ended up using an epoxy. You can give it a shot though.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Advanced

thank you for the heads up, i will probably buy a better adhesive at my local hardware store. i dont really want a switch. i used up the blank spot next to acv button already for my radar detector hardwire, plus i dont want that head ache of that install for some simple lights.

i guess i will just have to do some more research and try to find the best place to tap into.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Advanced

also, is it illegal to drive with your parking lights on? i thought i heard that somewhere, at least in CA.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

The law on parking lights is pretty clear.

The California vehicle code says:
24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

My civic has parking lights with small front clear lights in addition to the ambers, so it's legal to drive with them. I've never known anyone who got a ticket for it though. If you drive with your parking lights and the LEDs on, you should be fine, but without you risk a ticket.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced

so i decided to connect it to the parking lights like suggested. which brings me back to my main question does any one know which wire, EXACTLY, i should tap into? thank you in advance.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced

i completed the install, not too hard.

1) used this video to remove the front bumper
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-video-updated-removing-front-bumper-3g-garage-e-080-a-628363/

2) reached up behind the light and disconnected the parking lights.
on the passenger side i tapped into the only red wire (out of 3 possible wires)
on the driver side i tapped into the solid red wire (no dots) (out of 3 possible wires)

3) ran the lights through the bumper grill, checked that they worked. then put the bumper back on

with this method the lights turn on with the parking lights, but do NOT blink when the parking lights blink.

p.s. thank you to nate_0022 for telling me which wires i needed to tap into.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Instaling crap like this on your car is like wearing a bow tie. People will always look at you, but behind your back they are saying, "Hey look at that idiot wearing the bow tie!" SAVE YOUR MONEY
Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Advanced

thanks for the help that you didnt give in any way even though thats what i was requesting.... im assuming most your post are probably post like this with no help and just your rude 2 cents.

keep up the posting.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Instaling crap like this on your car is like wearing a bow tie. People will always look at you, but behind your back they are saying, "Hey look at that idiot wearing the bow tie!" SAVE YOUR MONEY

OP Sweet Sticker
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Advanced

yeah, i should have saved my money....

i have had these on my car for 2 months. i broke my leg about a month ago, so i havent driven my car, but my family has rarely. so the lights might have been on the car (and in use) for a little over a month and one side has already had problems.

2 leds on the driver side strip went out. if they were lights at the end of the strip it would be easy to cut them off and call it a day. but its the 2nd and 5th led on the strip.

i called plasmaglow, and they said they would give me a 1 time deal of allowing me to purchase another set, and then later be refunded if they agree it was a defect. i said no thanks, not worth it. they should send me a new strip with a prepaid return mailer. now once my leg gets better i have to waste an hour to take these things off.

so my final recommendation, is to stay away. i still like the look, but if they are only going to last a couple months. not worth it, especially since the front bumper has to be removed for a proper install. and especially if they want you to return it first, then send you the replacement later. you'll be taking off your bumper monthly just to take them off and put them back on.