3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up 05 TL and am having a few issues....some advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up 05 TL and am having a few issues....some advice please?

Hello,

I decided to take a chance and get a used 2005 TL with 58k on it. I got it for 15,500 from a dealership called Best Auto Sales in Virginia. I paid for shipping to Vegas, and I picked it up on Saturday and I'm having a few issues. Overall the car is in descent shape and runs smoothly, but I'm pretty frustrated. I would say I need to spend about $1000 to get everything fixed correctly...

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and complain. Any tips at all to make them cough up some money to help fix the problems. Yes I know that won't be easy, however, they promised me a vehicle in mint condition...I'm thinking that I will be very tactful at first (while having my ducks in a row) and if they aren't responsive then threaten to report them to the Better Business Bereau/hire a lawyer. I don't think it is going to be a fun conversation...

Here is a list of stuff that I've noticed:

1: Drivers seats rocks. Need to have the rails replaced....

2. I got 2 keys only and no remotes...I believe you are supposed to get 3 keys and 2 remotes

2. The leather was filthy. I used about half a bottle of turtlewax leather cleaner to clean it, but I think it needs to be professionally done

3. They swore up and down it was never smoked in, but I can smell smoke. When I clean the leather I'm going to have that taken car of too.

4. The silver vertical aluminum trim around the center console is scratched on both sides top to bottom
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You bought a car sight unseen?.... Really?

uhm... uh...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Good price I think. Good luck getting anything paid for by the seller. We operate under the principle of "Let the buyer beware".

I do hope you have some success and no more surprises.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Yeah good luck getting them to give you money specially since your on the opposite side of the coast where you bought it from.
maybe you cous buy the remotes of ebay and just pay for the programing.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i warned you not to get it but you didn't listen did you?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by omelet1978
Hello,

I decided to take a chance and get a used 2005 TL with 58k on it. I got it for 15,500 from a dealership called Best Auto Sales in Virginia. I paid for shipping to Vegas, and I picked it up on Saturday and I'm having a few issues. Overall the car is in descent shape and runs smoothly, but I'm pretty frustrated. I would say I need to spend about $1000 to get everything fixed correctly...

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and complain. Any tips at all to make them cough up some money to help fix the problems. Yes I know that won't be easy, however, they promised me a vehicle in mint condition...I'm thinking that I will be very tactful at first (while having my ducks in a row) and if they aren't responsive then threaten to report them to the Better Business Bereau/hire a lawyer. I don't think it is going to be a fun conversation...

Here is a list of stuff that I've noticed:

1: Drivers seats rocks. Need to have the rails replaced....

2. I got 2 keys only and no remotes...I believe you are supposed to get 3 keys and 2 remotes

2. The leather was filthy. I used about half a bottle of turtlewax leather cleaner to clean it, but I think it needs to be professionally done

3. They swore up and down it was never smoked in, but I can smell smoke. When I clean the leather I'm going to have that taken car of too.

4. The silver vertical aluminum trim around the center console is scratched on both sides top to bottom
OMG dude you got suckered good, I went to this dealership and when I was looking to buy a TL back in OCT. thing looked nice online but once I went there I notice bunch of little problems, omg shit was horrible. I ask for a test drive and they were like sure, I go to start the thing up, um guess what no god damn gas in the car! I just walked away because I knew this car was not taken care of at all. asking price then was 16k and they would not even budge on the price and I was offering 15.5k cash otd. this dealership is really bad would not go to them ever.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
how much was shipping if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by omelet1978
Hello,

^you have two number 2.s.

I just bought mine from an Acura dealer. Standard for keys is 2 Keys, 2 Remotes. (I think). I bought a brand new Civic years ago and it came with 2 Master Keys, 2 Remotes, and 1 Valet Key. With a pre-owned not coming from an Acura or Honda dealer, you are lucky to get anything past 1 Key, 1 Remote. But you should get that at the minimum.

As for the leather and smoke is concerned, you should have some ground to stand on. Look through your paperwork and see if you paid or if they checklisted a pre-delivery cleaning. If so (mine came with this by the way), you would have a barganing chip.

Lets see.....the silver middle console pieces (actually called "GARNISH ASSY., FR. PASSENGER CONSOLE"), I'd bet money that those aren't covered. Mine are scratched noticeably and my car is Acura Certified. It's basically a cosmetic issue, not a malfunctioning or broken part. Now if it's missing, then you a claim.

The seats....I read something, on this site actually, about some sort of Acura recall on a similar or the same issue. Acura's recall line is 1.800.328.2238, I believe.

I think that covers everything. Let us know how it goes after you talk to the seller.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HONgDA
i warned you not to get it but you didn't listen did you?
Really...b/c I just looked through your posts and did not see you saying anything like that.

One thing I've learned from buying a new car is that no matter what you do if ANYTHING is wrong people automatically tell you that your a dumbass instead of offering advice...

Oh, and shipping was like $600 from Virginia to Las Angeles.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its NOT a new car- you bought a used car !! big differance

Dont expect any maitenance to have been done- and read the CPO list, its not a real inspection
Plan on changing fluids and a few small repairs to bring it up to speed

Rare is the used car in perfect condition, but if acura promised certain things they have to provide them or compensate- often with a free oil change service or fix the little stuff for you.

Call acura customer care and register as the owner- 1-800-382-2238x5 ask if any recalls OPEN that you need to have taken care of
Ask about the seat rail problem- make a report of it, they make studies of problems so they can be corrected

Then take it to the dealer,,,, dont yell- be badazz or threaten BBB- thats actually a worthless organization with no real teeth~, lawyer talk gets their lawyer involved and gets them off the hook for anything

What you didnt state as wrong on pickup- you did yourself- no one smoked in this car before sir- see it has no ashtray
Keys? your kidding right? its not a NEW car- buy the remotes on the bay- get the right model remote and program it
Valet key? Who lets someone valet their TL??!!?? No untrained low paid mental case driver in a big hurry touches my baby!

When you find things wrong- dont fix it- take it to the dealer as your proof
Let them do a full professional detail inside and out for you- free as it should have been done before you picked up

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 01-28-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Imo sounds like simple fixes.

I would take the seat out and see if the rails need to be replaced. If they do look at a junk yard (auto salvage yard) for some that are in good condition and throw them in yourself

Buy two remotes on ebay, make sure you get #1 and #2.

I would get some GOOD leather cleaner, I heard Lexol is good, and clean the hell out of them seats. Turtle wax may not be strong enough. If you have any cracking or discoloration use some shoe polish that matches your seats, that is what I did. After you clean, use a good conditioner regularly and you should be good.

At night put a few towels over your seats and febreeze the hell out of your carpet, leave your car closed up overnight. Do this twice a week for two weeks, you should notice a difference in the smoke smell.

As for the metal trim pieces, I have replaced mine twice already, I am always wearing some sort of bracelet or something to f mine up. You can get them from Tim @ Hondacuraworld, he is a vendor here. They take 2 mins to install yourself, no tools required.