3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

permanent clear coat, does it really exist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
permanent clear coat, does it really exist?

I have a black 2004 TL with Navi. Here in NE ohio with all of the snow and Mud, it's practically dirty all of the time. Wish I would've went with silver which is what I had with my previous TL. To keep it as clean as I would want I would have to go to a car wash almost every day.

I've heard about some types of products that are permanent clear coats that can be applied. Has anyone does this? If so, how much does it cost? What are the results?

Getting frustrated keeping my TL clean. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All cars these days have "clear coats" on them. They are the last layer of paint that is applied. Now, there are products that can be applied to protect from scratches and chips, but to do the entire car is overkill and expensive. But, you'll still need to wash your car when it gets dirty no matter what product you have on it. Unless you want to drive with a plastic bubble around your car, you're going to have to do what everyone else does; wash your car when it gets dirty.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Your car has clear coat paint on it, this is what always gets scratched, then buffed out by a detailer, or yourself. There is no product that you can apply that is permanent on top of this. Some sealers can be applied in coats that will add protection, but will have to renewed sometime during the year. As for car washes, most have some sort of brush system that can pickup sand or whatever from a previous wash customer, embed itself into the brush and scratch the crap out of your car! Also most washes recycle their water, if a previous customers use a wheel cleaner before entering you now will have this cleaner applied to your finish. Now granted, it will be dilute, but given enough customers doing this, and it will at least strip off that expensive and labor intensive sealer that you applied to protect your car for the winter.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Instructor

What are some brands of sealers? Is it something I can do or does it have to be done by a professional?

How long does it last?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

This is where I go for answers and info. I hate to keep posting this link, but I found it to be loaded with info and fairly non-biased.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carwax.html
Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by atomarchio
What are some brands of sealers? Is it something I can do or does it have to be done by a professional?

How long does it last?
sealants work great and last so much longer than traditional wax. i use klasse AIO(all in one) polish followed by their sealant. i usually put about 3 coats of sealant on waiting 24 hours between each coat. it will last through the entire winter for me. when it snows and the car gets dirty a simple wash will clean the dirt. the surface of the car will feel smooth like the first day you waxed.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I opted for "Premium Finishing" when I purchased my car. Theres a 3 year warranty on the paint and interior from unremovable stains (sap, tar, bird droppings, bugs, oil based stains, etc..).

Can someone enlighten me on what exactly was done? Did they apply what others have called "clear bra" on the whole car? I think it costed around $300 for it.

Hopefully I didn't get suckered in to it. Its still okay if I did, the car looks great!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by datmrman
I opted for "Premium Finishing" when I purchased my car. Theres a 3 year warranty on the paint and interior from unremovable stains (sap, tar, bird droppings, bugs, oil based stains, etc..).

Can someone enlighten me on what exactly was done? Did they apply what others have called "clear bra" on the whole car? I think it costed around $300 for it.

Hopefully I didn't get suckered in to it. Its still okay if I did, the car looks great!
no nice way of putting it but any "special" finish the dealer claims to put on is just a sealant(and a pretty cheap one most the time). it will not last forever(nothing does) and is probably not as good as something like klasse or zaino(which cost significantly less than $300). i would advise to anyone getting a new car not to get these finishes. just do it yourself for a lot less and get better results.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:29 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Live and learn as the saying goes. I had the unfortunate opportunity to work at a dealership where I applied this miracle finish from a tube no bigger than a small tube of toothpaste. Well now that you have this kevlar finish on board you make sure to apply a really good sealant over it. Look at it this way you made a really good choice when you purchased the car!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by caball88
no nice way of putting it but any "special" finish the dealer claims to put on is just a sealant (and a pretty cheap one most the time).
Originally Posted by joed40
Well now that you have this kevlar finish on board you make sure to apply a really good sealant over it.
So, did the dealership put on a finish or a sealant? Should I be following it up with a layer of something else?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Yes they put something on your car, and yes put a good sealant on your car as well. You have a new car, with a bonding rustproof agent applied to your car before paint. It shouldn't rust regardless of what you put on top. What you have to worry about is your paint, protect it, and don't worry or think about the guarantee they give you.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by datmrman

As caball88 said, the dealer applied a "sealant" which basically protects the finish form the elements. Most sealants have an average life of 4-6 months before reapplication. There is a process (surface preparation) prior to applying sealant and I can't tell you whether or not it was done. Review your warranty to see what it covers or go back to the dealer and have them explain it to you in terms you understand. Here's a thread about new car care, post #8 in particular offers suggestions maintaining a new vehicle.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Timed out, Paint Protections Film (PPF) known also as Clear Bra is a polyurethane film applied to the vehicle protecting the leading edge from road debris. Do a search, you'll come up with numerous threads. Cost installed, anywhere from $600 and up.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I have a black 2004 TL with Navi. Here in NE ohio with all of the snow and Mud, it's practically dirty all of the time. Wish I would've went with silver which is what I had with my previous TL. To keep it as clean as I would want I would have to go to a car wash almost every day.

I've heard about some types of products that are permanent clear coats that can be applied. Has anyone does this? If so, how much does it cost? What are the results?

Getting frustrated keeping my TL clean. Please let me know. Thanks.
Here's a post about aluminized clearcoat by teranfon (pics in post #24). You can try to PM him and find out more details about it (haven't seen any recent posts).

Originally Posted by teranfon
I've used an alternative to the 3M film for close to seven years now. I found the 3M would dull over time. What I do is have the body shop I deal with apply aluminumized clear to the surface being protected. First the surface to be cleared is masked off. This works very well because you get the desired angles and surfaces to be covered without having to compromise with the constraints of the 3M film. The surface is then etched with a product that dulls the factory clear and allows the aluminumized clear to be applied. It is then applied over several coats and left to dry for 12 hours. Aluminumized clear is the same product applied to factory wheels. It is extremely durable yet does not become as hard as factory clears coats. This allows for a surface that is able to withstand contact from road debris. The finished product is just beautiful. Its looks like a factory clear coat and can applied to most difficult of angles. Once the masking tape is removed you have a very slight ridge than you have to look for. And it will not fade or yellow.

The last four vehicles I have had done with this procedure have been new vehicles and I have yet to receive a single chip. This includes a pickup that is for farm use and sees a few gravel roads. I've also had this procedure done to the lower rockers of my Grand National and corvette as I hate splash guards. You cannot see the finished product and no chipping since its been applied.

It may be a consideration for you.

Terry