Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Upgrade and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Upgrade and reliability

Just a quick question...I just purchased my 04 NBP with 5 AT. I am eagerly awaiting all of the performance upgrades that will soon be available. However, this will most likely be my only car for the next 4-5 years. I will always want it to be faster, but I don't want to void the warranty, and I want it to last until I give it to my son in 7 years. Will these upgrades shorten my car's life? I know its a broad topic, but I would appreciate any responses.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

Re: Performance Upgrade and reliability

Originally posted by onebad04
Just a quick question...I just purchased my 04 NBP with 5 AT. I am eagerly awaiting all of the performance upgrades that will soon be available. However, this will most likely be my only car for the next 4-5 years. I will always want it to be faster, but I don't want to void the warranty, and I want it to last until I give it to my son in 7 years. Will these upgrades shorten my car's life? I know its a broad topic, but I would appreciate any responses.
The warranty issue is a question I can't answer, but be careful bringing it in for service with noticeable mods because the dealer may try to deny you warranty service.

As to the life of the car, it really depends on the mods. Upgraded intakes without forced induction will be ok, as will exhaust, tires, upgraded plugs, etc. However, if you start thinking of putting a NOS shot or other major mods, you can really muck up your car if you are not careful.

Also, if you plan on giving it to your son, make the mods reversible because you don't want to give a faster car to your inexperienced kid just starting out. Additionally, the resale will be lower with mods unless you find just the right buyer who would be interested in such things. I know this from personal experience over the years.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Performance Upgrade and reliability

Originally posted by onebad04
I will always want it to be faster, but I don't want to void the warranty
My knowledge in this area is limited; however, in talking to my Saab dealership and their sales staff and service department, as long as the performance mod is performed by a Saab Authorized Service Department or an approved performance company (i.e. Hirsch) then it would not void any factory warranty.

Just my $.02 which may or may not help.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately the performance mods that really make a difference (all types of blowers and NOx) will void your warranty. The ones that don't make much of a difference, exhausts, intakes and such will not.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Actually, many performance mods (like Cold Air Induction) should be OK. In order for the dealership to refuse warranty work they have to PROVE that the mod created the problem. With things like NOS, it's a no-brainer as the drive trains, heads, etc were not designed for NOS and therefore NOS would void. But getting into third-party products like superchargers and turbos can be a different issue. I personally know of guys who added S/C to in-warranty cars and continued to recieve service. No, the dealer did not add, other 3rd parties did. There was no "authorization" of the third-party company by the dealership of MFG. Also helps that the guy was a lawyer and understood his rights. At one time the dealership did try to balk but a quick discussion between this guy and the dealerships lawyer ended any questions. It's a touchy subject but there are specific things that can be done w/o voiding warranty.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reality is that dealers don't have to PROVE anything, no matter what any law says. All they have to do is tell an owner that warranty coverage is being denied because because he modifed a part of the car related to the warranty claim. Then the ball is in the owner's court. I have read over and over on various car and truck forums about how owners can change anything they want on a car, and the dealer has to make free repairs under warranty unless they can "prove" something. Neither dealers nor owners are equipped to do scientific proofs. I've never heard of this happening, but I have heard of warranty claims being denied.

Generally, just use logic in deciding what could happen. If you use a Fram oil filter instead of Honda, there should be no problem. Unless, that is, there is engine damage and the Fram is removed and it's found that the filter elements inside have disintegrated or something. Owners are allowed to use aftermarket parts, but if those parts fail and cause damage, then there's most likely a warranty problem. In this same situation if it was a Honda filter, you'd be covered. If an owner makes a modification that leads to more engine power, and it's aftermarket, there could be a problem if something in the driveline breaks. If you supercharge your engine, and the power seats break, no problem. If the clutch burns out, I wouldn't be expecting Acura to want to cover the cost, no matter how carefully you claim you drive.

Then, there's always a chance that the dealer will be "nice" and cover things anyway, as they still get paid by Acura.