Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead map light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Overhead map light assembly

So I'm driving today, and the entire overhead map light assembly by the rearview mirror fell out of the roof, and is hanging by the wires. I looked, the 4 bolts that hold it up are still attached to the roof, and all 4 of the plastic tab mounts are broken. I don't know if the heat caused it or what.

I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to get it replaced. Real nice for a 2008 car with 8,900 miles on it to have this crap falling off already.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or did I just get the freak occurance?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had that happened to me in my 06...let us know what the dealer said might of caused it...hehe
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! First I've heard of that issue. At least it's not major. The dealer should take care of it.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
wow, dealer will take care of it for u though, so itll be all good
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Wow! First I've heard of that issue. At least it's not major. The dealer should take care of it.
Not major, but still disappointing. The plastic on the tabs crumbled when I looked at it (some of it is still behind the bolts mounted to the roof), not sure if was defective or the heat fried it. If it was heat.....makes me worry about all those cracked dash issues I've seen.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BradE
Not major, but still disappointing. The plastic on the tabs crumbled when I looked at it (some of it is still behind the bolts mounted to the roof), not sure if was defective or the heat fried it. If it was heat.....makes me worry about all those cracked dash issues I've seen.
Your dash's been cracking on you?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That's going to be an expensive warranty fix for the dealer... that part is $400 dollars... labor is 0.5 man hours...

it shouldn't cost you a dime though...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phase
Your dash's been cracking on you?
No, but it makes me wonder if it might a few years down the road.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

What are you using on your dash? I use 303. Great stuff.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
What are you using on your dash? I use 303. Great stuff.
303 as well, it's all I've ever used. Been using it on cars for years.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
That's going to be an expensive warranty fix for the dealer... that part is $400 dollars... labor is 0.5 man hours...

it shouldn't cost you a dime though...
I know, I'm hoping they don't give me any trouble over it. Like trying to say I broke it, because the assembly is expensive.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, my first service expierence hasn't been a good one.

I get out there, they look at it, and then tell me they don't have the part. They have to order it, and I have to come back Monday. They didn't know when I called they didn't have it in stock?

It says they ordered a HFL unit, is that the entire overhead console?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

The HFL actually sits inside the plastic housing, toward the front. Hope they ordered the housing for you.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Well, my first service expierence hasn't been a good one.

I get out there, they look at it, and then tell me they don't have the part. They have to order it, and I have to come back Monday. They didn't know when I called they didn't have it in stock?

It says they ordered a HFL unit, is that the entire overhead console?
that's the front of the car, the rear is just the light assembly... Talk to the service manager!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
that's the front of the car, the rear is just the light assembly... Talk to the service manager!
From the parts diagram, it looks like you have to order the whole unit to get the housing. The 4 mounting bolts only go though the lighting assembly (seperate unit) then though the bracket for the HFL assembly. Would be part #9 in diagram.

Unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From the parts diagram, it looks like you have to order the whole unit to get the housing. The 4 mounting bolts only go though the lighting assembly (seperate unit) then though the bracket for the HFL assembly. Would be part #9 in diagram.

Unless I'm looking at it wrong.]

No, you are completely correct. The HFL and housing come together so yes, they should have ordered you the right thing. Now, if they ordered the wrong color like they did with mine you will be waiting longer.... :-)

My 04 TL was less than 6 months old when and I removed the housing and other items to fix the creaking noises from the headliner. All 4 tabs were cracked etc just as you described. I installed 4 small metal angle brackets to secure the housing - didn't feel like taking it to the dealer just yet to have them fudge up other stuff etc..

Jump near 4 years later when I do take it in for my final warranty visit to have the HFL module replaced per the TSB... This is where I find out it's the entire housing. While the part was on order I removed my angle brackets previously installed and they replaced the housing/HFL once the right color arrived.

I would bet that most TL's have this same problem - the housing just hasn't fell down as of yet. The "angle" of the cracks on my mounting tabs was the only thing holding mine up.

I feel more so that it's from over tightening of the screws and brittle plastic - and - even though you may not think it, their sounds to be a little "flex" in that area of the roof when driving over angled/uneven surfaces etc.. When I pull out of my driveway just right I can here small creaks from the housing etc.. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the new housing requires support.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
No, you are completely correct. The HFL and housing come together so yes, they should have ordered you the right thing. Now, if they ordered the wrong color like they did with mine you will be waiting longer.... :-)

My 04 TL was less than 6 months old when and I removed the housing and other items to fix the creaking noises from the headliner. All 4 tabs were cracked etc just as you described. I installed 4 small metal angle brackets to secure the housing - didn't feel like taking it to the dealer just yet to have them fudge up other stuff etc..

Jump near 4 years later when I do take it in for my final warranty visit to have the HFL module replaced per the TSB... This is where I find out it's the entire housing. While the part was on order I removed my angle brackets previously installed and they replaced the housing/HFL once the right color arrived.

I would bet that most TL's have this same problem - the housing just hasn't fell down as of yet. The "angle" of the cracks on my mounting tabs was the only thing holding mine up.

I feel more so that it's from over tightening of the screws and brittle plastic - and - even though you may not think it, their sounds to be a little "flex" in that area of the roof when driving over angled/uneven surfaces etc.. When I pull out of my driveway just right I can here small creaks from the housing etc.. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the new housing requires support.

Cheers
Well at least I'm not the only one it's happened to. You would think they'd make the housing out of some better plastic to prevent this, considering it's a $500+ part to replace under warranty.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Car got fixed today, all is well. You DO have to order the HFL unit to get the housing for the map light and everything else.

Hope it doesnt happen to you guys out of warranty, the part alone is $520+.