Sponsored by:

One Year Ownership Summary

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One Year Ownership Summary

One year ownership summary:

Purchased 2005 6MT ABP/Camel Navi in July 2005.
I was upgrading from a 1995 Camry 4cyl. My needs were: 6 cyl, MT, 4 door. Originally wanted an Accord, but they didn't have those specs in 2005. Looked most seriously at Maxima and BMW. Maxima was OK, but interior was TERRIBLE. BMW was expensive, and worried about maintenance. So, here I am.

Mileage: 9467 (Short commute)
Service:
* 2 oil changes. First by dealer for free, and second (and all future will be) by me. Currently running Mobil 1 5-20.
* 1 transmission fluid change at 5000 miles with OEM. (See below.)
* Added washer fluid.

No major mechanical issues.

"Minor" issues:
* 2nd gear notchiness when cold. Had the dealer replace fluid (they used OEM). No real change. Has been MUCH better in the summer time. If it still exists come cold weather this year, I am going to approach the dealer about GMSM or take the leap and do it myself. If I'm in stop and go traffic, after a while it is butter.

* Once in a very long while I get what I call a "scratchy" 3rd gear - but nothing close to having to force it in, or having it pop out. Other than that, 3rd gear is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun. I've stated before that one of my favorite things to do is to get going about 30 MPH in 3rd, on my special on-ramp, and WOT to 75 MPH, and watch the tach jump, and listen to the growl and feel the VTEC kick-in. Nice.

* 3rd brake light liner falling.

* Very occasional rattle at top of driver's door.

I don't have any mods, and probably won't do any, except tints eventually (and that is barely a mod, I know). I am considering A-Spec rims when my OEM tires need replacing. That's about it for mods, although I love to read about everyone else's! I love my car, but not quite the modding type.

All in all, what a sweet ride. My commute in the morning and afternoon are the highlights of my day.

[Evan]
Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great review! You had fewer issues than I did with my 2004 TL.

I am appalled that the drooping 3rd brake light felt is still an issue in a 2005 model. That was a constant complaint of people with 2004 TLs. I didn't have this issue, luckily.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Cogito Ergo Sum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I am appalled that the drooping 3rd brake light felt is still an issue in a 2005 model. That was a constant complaint of people with 2004 TLs. I didn't have this issue, luckily.
Well, it is still a problem. I have an 2006 TL, and the 3rd brake light fabric started coming loose within 3 months of ownership. I had it replaced about 4 months ago, and new fabric has already come loose again. I am going to have it replaced AGAIN at my next service call.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Thumbs up Ditto on the sweet ride.

Originally Posted by 6MTrules
...* Very occasional rattle at top of driver's door...
All in all, what a sweet ride...
About that rattle- this may sound silly, but it has occurred to at least a couple of us 3G TL members: check to make sure your driver's side sun visor is clipped in rather than hanging free. Otherwise, the visor rod will rattle when bumping against the visor clip and sound will seem like it's coming from the door or even the seat belt adjuster.

I have had a 5A with Navi with no upholstery issues since April 30, 2005 and concur that the TL is a nice car. Only issues are occasional and infrequent (less than 1X month) creaking from the tops of windows and console shifter cover plate, and not enough driving time for good gas mileage since my TL only has about 10,000 miles on it (office was a 5-mile round trip, and I generally work from home). My TL has been through an A and a B service, and I also added windshield washer fluid.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good review. I too had less than 10,000 miles after a year because of a short commute, but those 3 miles I drive each way are still fun. If you hang around here long enough you'll be doing mods, trust me. Once you get started, there's no stopping. I never thought I was a modding person either.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome review, 6MTRules!

For once, not someone just complaining.

Under minor issues you stated:
* 2nd gear notchiness when cold. Had the dealer replace fluid (they used OEM). No real change. Has been MUCH better in the summer time. If it still exists come cold weather this year, I am going to approach the dealer about GMSM or take the leap and do it myself. If I'm in stop and go traffic, after a while it is butter.

Obviously, I'm not an expert...but the TL is my first automatic car and prior to this one I had 3 Honda's in a row, all MT. My last (my fave) was the 04 Accord Coupe V6 6MT and it was SWEET! I loved it!!! (...long story why I got rid of it)
Anyway...each of my MT Honda's had that "notchiness" when it was cold. I assume you mean when it is hesitant to shift, rathering than shifting so smoothly. And once the engine would warm up, the gears would shift better.

Oh - am I envious though... the MT TL must be A LOT of fun!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
2016 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also am just past one year and 8,000 miles. My only annoyance has been a vibration at 1500-2000 rpm, but my wife doesn't feel it, the mechanic says it is nothing, and it's no worse than the same vibration in the '99 TL I drove for 6 years. I guess when there are no big things, little things seem bigger. Highlights - looks, interior, audio, gas mileage.

I never thought I would mod a new car, but this forum got to me too, so I've changed a few things. Great car.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be nice to have short commutes!!! I've had mine little over a year now and I have 25k on it... No complaints here.. just some annoying things that have since been taken care of.... 3rd gear prob, brake squeal, rear deck rattle, dash fade, third brake light collecting dirt and bugs in the enclosure! hahaha, noticed this while cleaning my back window. Other then that I LOVE MY TL!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
tTLiang

you should really try the GM SMF trans. fluid. it will solve ur gear problem. honda gear water is not that good. do some search u'll find model# and stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
tTLiang

armor all or silicon lubricant on all window/door/sunroof rubber seals will fix rubber squeaks.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
About that rattle- this may sound silly, but it has occurred to at least a couple of us 3G TL members: check to make sure your driver's side sun visor is clipped in rather than hanging free. Otherwise, the visor rod will rattle when bumping against the visor clip and sound will seem like it's coming from the door or even the seat belt adjuster....
Y'know, I may have to check that. But, dang, it really sounds like the door!

Originally Posted by KJW73
.... Oh - am I envious though... the MT TL must be A LOT of fun!
Oh, man, yes. After 103K miles on my 4 banger Camry, I was ready for some serious performance, and driving instead of riding.

Originally Posted by ttliang
you should really try the GM SMF trans. fluid. it will solve ur gear problem. honda gear water is not that good. do some search u'll find model# and stuff.
I hear you. I have been absolutely glued to all of 3rd gear threads. I am paranoid about voiding the warranty, though. Like I said, I may just bite the bullet and do it myself this fall/winter.

We'll see if I get the modding bug, though. Unfortunately, my priorities may be scoping out my next high power performance vehicle - new minivan. I also feel guilty riding around in a car that envelops you in airbags, while the rest of my family rides around in our current minivan during the day with just front bags. A new van will cure that guilt.

Also, some info I forgot on the review:
* Typical mileage around town is 23-24 MPG, and road trips is 33-34 MPG.
* I was involved in some threads a while ago talking about rev matching and RPM drops, and I was "complaining" that my revs don't drop fast enough. I noticed that I've been driving a tad more agressively recently (can't help it ) (i.e. higher revs, and upshifting quicker, not speed), and I believe that the revs are dropping a tad faster. So maybe the computer is adjusting.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our car is also about a year old, 13,000 miles on it.
Zero problems.
I did change out to half and half honda/GMMTF-FM in the trans, and added 2 relays to use the fog lights as daytime running lights.

No rattles, no brake problems, nothing at all has gone wrong with the car, the tires are showing wear, not bad wear, but I cant wait to get rid of them.

Brett
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dont mean to hijack thread...(sorry) should I change my transmission fluid? Im coming close to 1 year (Sept. 17) w/ 7642 miles. Only problems Ive had is my dash fading and I desperately need new front tires (hehe). !!!LOVE MY TL!!!