Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once again Schooled by a 335i...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
No surprise...you'll have no problems against a 328i.
My 01 CLs Auto walks my wifes 2010 328i with ease. I have run her car through the 1/4 and it does a 14.9 according to my Gtech timer.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
About 50% of what you said makes sense. "DOULE???????"

go play with your accord....DOULE..
Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
go play with your accord....DOULE..
Lol. Relax bro . I thought you meant 'dual' when you clearly meant double. So my mistake, damn keyboard!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
Lol. Relax bro . I thought you meant 'dual' when you clearly meant double. So my mistake, damn keyboard!
always relaxed...not a big deal just some internet humor..
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by nova_G
Maybe you were thinking about the 335iS C&D ran it 13.3 @ 108?

I've been eyeing the 335i as well and totally agree with the 335i being a perfect blend of luxury/speed and ease of modification but the big thing that worries me is the HPFP. Even though they extended the warranty (for the HPFP) to 100k miles i've heard too many stories and know a at least 6 owners that have had to take a trip to the dealership for the HPFP multiple times. I've had my G for almost 3 years now and it has only seen the dealership for warranty work on one occasion.
HPFP like you said has the extended warranty and the reason alot of them come back with problems is because most ppl who go and buy these 335i's treat them like crap and don't understand why in the hell you would put 87' regular when clearly you need at least 91' or better and even then still shitty....93' Premium is what needs to be always going in to these cars and in europe their regular is 93' and Premium is like 97' 98' if im not mistaking....but anyway long story short...all the techs from my dealer that own 335i or 135i...and been using premium from the get-go still have not had an issue with their HPFP.....

All in all 335i FTW and 335is a monster....Hard driving these cars all day and then gettin in the UA7 TypeS...but then again thats where modding comes into play...hopefully soon I'll have a lil sumthin sumthin that will keep these 335i's @ bay when they coming rollin next to me...but then again thats only if they are stock

Oh and BTW...neva listen to what a Sales manager tells you...half the time they don't know what the hell they are talking about (i guess im biased since im a Technician and get good laughs hearing some of these salesman lying to customers about what their car can or can't do)...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stock 335s are pretty fast, they can hang with e90 M3s with little effort. There are some approaching the 500rwhp range (I dont think they are on the stock turbos), those N54 engines are strong.

Last edited by damnboy37; 08-30-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Well, against my better judgement (I knew it would make me like my TL less, and I was right), I took a 335i out for a 25 mile spin. A guy who owns a pizza place I go to frequently has an '07 automatic, sport package, loaded and I was asking him how he likes it. He said he loves it and told me to take it for a spin.

First off, the car is very small inside and the steering is super tight and heavy at low speeds. Almost feels like there's something wrong with the power steering when threading through parking lots, but it has a nice weighted feel along with the perfect thickness steering wheel. Also, the seats are off the charts, with perfect side bolstering for me at a little over 5'9" and an athletic 160. Not sure how well this car would work for bigger, heavier people.

Out on the road I notice the throttle input is a little abrupt but I like that. Again, the car feels tiny but still substantial. The entire hood is obscured from view when I'm in the ideal seating position; I like that too. Passing a row of cars on a two lane highway is effortless. The car is so tight and nimble, it feels like I'm only moving the steering wheel an inch to put it out into the other lane.

As far as power goes, this thing flat out moves for what it is, with very little turbo lag. I didn't look for the T/C switch, but I wish I had. With the T/C on, it does seem to lag a bit initially, but once full torque comes on at 1500 rpm, it pulls way harder than any normal weight N/A TL down low. It's not really heaps faster than my TL from say a second gear hit at 45-50 mph; the difference between a stock 5AT TL and a modded 6MT is still greater. I'd put this particular 335 in the same league as an automatic C5 Vette, maybe a tick slower. I then do a couple quick preloads to 1500 rpm (traction control on remember) and 0-100 runs and I have to say, this automatic is not your average slushbox! Upshifts are firm and quick and the paddles are very solid. Of course, I still wouldn't buy the auto.

Now onto the twisties. This is where I realize why Car & Driver has been putting this car up on a pedestal for the last quarter century or whatever. It really is that good. If I didn't know better, I'd bet a paycheck it weighs 500 lbs less than it really does, but in reality it weighs 150 lbs more than a 3G base 6MT TL without Nav, and over 200 lbs more than mine. My TL feels like a '78 Eldorado in comparison. Even with almost bald Potenzas, the car just does what I want it to without protest: no roll, no understeer, just a very linear feel. This is where those insanely bolstered seats really shine.

Now I'd love to really push one with newer tires, some extra boost and a stick at some point!

Last edited by anx1300c; 09-04-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Well, against my better judgement (I knew it would make me like my TL less, and I was right), I took a 335i out for a 25 mile spin. A guy who owns a pizza place I go to frequently has an '07 automatic, sport package, loaded and I was asking him how he likes it. He said he loves it and told me to take it for a spin.

First off, the car is very small inside and the steering is super tight and heavy at low speeds. Almost feels like there's something wrong with the power steering when threading through parking lots, but it has a nice weighted feel along with the perfect thickness steering wheel. Also, the seats are off the charts, with perfect side bolstering for me at a little over 5'9" and an athletic 160. Not sure how well this car would work for bigger, heavier people.

Out on the road I notice the throttle input is a little abrupt but I like that. Again, the car feels tiny but still substantial. The entire hood is obscured from view when I'm in the ideal seating position; I like that too. Passing a row of cars on a two lane highway is effortless. The car is so tight and nimble, it feels like I'm only moving the steering wheel an inch to put it out into the other lane.

As far as power goes, this thing flat out moves for what it is, with very little turbo lag. I didn't look for the T/C switch, but I wish I had. With the T/C on, it does seem to lag a bit initially, but once full torque comes on at 1500 rpm, it pulls way harder than any normal weight N/A TL down low. It's not really heaps faster than my TL from say a second gear hit at 45-50 mph; the difference between a stock 5AT TL and a modded 6MT is still greater. I'd put this particular 335 in the same league as an automatic C5 Vette, maybe a tick slower. I then do a couple quick preloads to 1500 rpm (traction control on remember) and 0-100 runs and I have to say, this automatic is not your average slushbox! Upshifts are firm and quick and the paddles are very solid. Of course, I still wouldn't buy the auto.

Now onto the twisties. This is where I realize why Car & Driver has been putting this car up on a pedestal for the last quarter century or whatever. It really is that good. If I didn't know better, I'd bet a paycheck it weighs 500 lbs less than it really does, but in reality it weighs 150 lbs more than a 3G base 6MT TL without Nav, and over 200 lbs more than mine. My TL feels like a '78 Eldorado in comparison. Even with almost bald Potenzas, the car just does what I want it to without protest: no roll, no understeer, just a very linear feel. This is where those insanely bolstered seats really shine.

Now I'd love to really push one with newer tires, some extra boost and a stick at some point!
I recall having some drive time in an E46 330i and the E90 335i during the time I owned my 02 Maxima SE and feeling incredibly disappointed with how badly (so I came to realize) the Max handled by comparison.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
LOL, I wish I could erase that drive from my memory for the time being. 335i will most likely be my next car, but not for another year and a half or so. All weekend I've been down on the TL.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
LOL, I wish I could erase that drive from my memory for the time being. 335i will most likely be my next car, but not for another year and a half or so. All weekend I've been down on the TL.
I remembered 1 time when couple of members talked about why the BMW fans have so much "oooh and aaah" .... Until you drive one and you know why, especially in road course.