OK 6MT drivers ... explain why my 04 TL ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004 | 11:28 PM
loves his TL!

OK 6MT drivers ... explain why my 04 TL ...

... on a complete stop sometimes refuses to get into first gear (or second for that matter). i have to shift it to third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and maybe it will go to first ... completely wastes my time. get honked at a lot for not budging the second the light turns green :sqntfawk:. this does not happen if i shift it to first while im coasting to a stop -- this works, but totally kills my left foot!!

also, this does not happen all the time. its driving me NUTS! PLEASE HELP!! :'(
Old 07-06-2004 | 11:48 PM
never stops!

Can be a problem. GEt it to dealer. I do not have this problem on my 6MT. Have you tried getting into neutral and then shifting to 1st or 2nd pulling the shifter on to you? You might have to pull it toward you more. Sometime if gears cannot engage it will not let you. I've experience this in older cars but not in TL.
Old 07-06-2004 | 11:49 PM
Safety Car

how many miles on the car? when i first for the cari experiened that problem a couple of times but once i started using the car more i have not encountered the problem again. if it happens again try putting the car into second then into first.
Old 07-06-2004 | 11:54 PM
loves his TL!

thanks for the replies guys. the car has 4500 miles on it. i broke it in properly and its been smooth as silk until two days ago. i usually put it in neutral when i know its going to be a complete stop and put it in gear only when i need to. one thing i found out today was, the TL can start from third gear from a complete stop! i will probably watch it for a couple more days and bring it in to the dealer to have them look at it. furthermore, my brother is a certified acura tech and he says that he's never heard of ANY problems with the 6MT.
Old 07-07-2004 | 06:02 AM
Racer

Sounds like something is wrong. I have never had this problem. Take it to the dealer.
Old 07-07-2004 | 06:19 AM
Instructor

Sounds like your syncros for 1st and 2nd are shot. Take it in.
Old 07-07-2004 | 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I have not had this problem, but I put it in to neutral, drop to second in to first and it is really easy to me. It is just what I am use to doing, cause I play with it at a stop becuase I cannot keep still.
Old 07-07-2004 | 07:28 AM
Racer

Try putting it in 2nd to downshift and then sliding it in first......works for me.
Old 07-07-2004 | 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dougpt10

I agree!
Old 07-07-2004 | 08:09 AM
Pro

Not necesarily the synchros

I have a 6MT and, so far, I've not had any problems getting into first.

Keep in mind that there are cables in the shift linkage, not rods. It's possible that one or both of the shifter cables need to be adjusted.

Unless the transmission has been really abused (appears not to be the case here), it seems pretty unlikely that the synchros have gone south at that low a mileage and so suddenly.
Old 07-07-2004 | 08:16 AM
loves his TL!

ok guys, i took it to the dealer today and the first service manager (was a dick) thought it was the clutch and suspected me as the culprit!! :sqntfawk: i told him that ive been driving stick since i was born and never had this problem before! so i then moved on to my brother's service manager who then said that "MAYBE" its one of the hydraulic actuators on the clutch arent engaging -- he said that he has seen this problem on Accords before. any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2004 | 08:47 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
ok guys, i took it to the dealer today and the first service manager (was a dick) thought it was the clutch and suspected me as the culprit!! :sqntfawk: i told him that ive been driving stick since i was born and never had this problem before! so i then moved on to my brother's service manager who then said that "MAYBE" its one of the hydraulic actuators on the clutch arent engaging -- he said that he has seen this problem on Accords before. any thoughts?
Another shining example of Acura's service level!!! I tell you this is one area Infiniti kills Acura. I know a few people at work that rag the piss out of their G35 coupes. One of them f'd the transmission in the process. He strolls in and tells them "it does not feel right" and they replace the ENTIRE transmission at no cost with no questions asked.

I love my car, but honestly Acura has a LOOOOOONG way to go regarding service!!!
Old 07-07-2004 | 08:49 AM
Pro

88 Legend coupe.

I did have similar problem with an '88 Legend Coupe that had a 5 speed.

It would sometimes refuse to go from 1 - 2 without fiddling with it. The dealer rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and, surprisingly, that did fix the problem. So this might be possible.
Old 07-07-2004 | 08:50 AM
Racer

I don't think first gear has a synchro. But anyways I've never encountered what you're talking about so I'd take it into a dealer like everyone else said.
Old 07-07-2004 | 09:07 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by SlntSam
I don't think first gear has a synchro. But anyways I've never encountered what you're talking about so I'd take it into a dealer like everyone else said.
1st gear (and I think 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) have triple synchronizers. I remember reading that somewhere. I'll try and find the link for that.

I have the 6mt as well, but I have never noticed this problem. Obviously if you are going too fast you will have trouble shifting into 1st (and why would you want to)...but it doesnt seem to be the case here.

edit: (I just found it on the Acura Canada Page)

6-Speed Manual Transmission (with Dynamic Package)

Close-ratio spacing for maximum performance
Lightweight high-pressure-cast aluminum-alloy transmission housing
Multi-cone synchronizers used on first through fourth gear
Reverse lock-out feature prevents accidental engagement
Advanced clutch torsion mechanism reduces gear noise
Helical gear limited-slip differential reduces wheel spin and maximizes acceleration
http://www.honda.ca/AcuraEng/Models/TL/Benefits
Old 07-07-2004 | 09:11 AM
Racer

I have the same problem with my 97 CL and the syncros are bad which caused issues with the hydralic clutch. Get it fixed under warranty now.
Old 07-07-2004 | 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
1st gear (and I think 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) have triple synchronizers. I remember reading that somewhere. I'll try and find the link for that.

I have the 6mt as well, but I have never noticed this problem. Obviously if you are going too fast you will have trouble shifting into 1st (and why would you want to)...but it doesnt seem to be the case here.

edit: (I just found it on the Acura Canada Page)

6-Speed Manual Transmission (with Dynamic Package)

Close-ratio spacing for maximum performance
Lightweight high-pressure-cast aluminum-alloy transmission housing
Multi-cone synchronizers used on first through fourth gear
Reverse lock-out feature prevents accidental engagement
Advanced clutch torsion mechanism reduces gear noise
Helical gear limited-slip differential reduces wheel spin and maximizes acceleration
http://www.honda.ca/AcuraEng/Models/TL/Benefits
Cool! I like reading those types of feature lists...it makes the car sound so technical and cool!
Old 07-08-2004 | 01:17 PM
loves his TL!

Update!

ok, after my brother checked out the car, it turns out its not the clutch. he bled the transmission to see if there were any air pockets in the system and did not find any. they have ordered a new master and slave cylinder for my car -- assuring me that will fix the problem. the master technician who was looking at my car with my brother told me that this was very unusual for any Acura at this very low a mileage.

im now thinking that the problem was probably caused at the assembly line. which leads me to a point ... the TL is made in Ohio just like the Accord. Why can't Honda/Acura keep its quality control standards the same as they do in Japan? i mean, could this problem have occurred if the TL was assembled in Japan? i would bet, highly unlikely. have you heard of any complaints, rattles, MAJOR transmission problems at the TSX site? get my drift?

also, im now suffering from what most people here call "TL withdrawal syndrome". I MISS MY CAR SOOOO MUCH!! :sqnteek: and to top it off, THE TL FORUMS WERE DOWN FOR A SOFTWARE UPGRADE!!! GRRRRRR!! im not bitter though, at least its back ... i love this site!!
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:43 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
:sqnteek: and to top it off, THE TL FORUMS WERE DOWN FOR A SOFTWARE UPGRADE!!! GRRRRRR!! im not bitter though, at least its back ... i love this site!!
:sqnteek: when was the site down?
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:51 PM
loves his TL!

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
:sqnteek: when was the site down?
ummm, yesterday, part of today, i think ... all you could get to was the TSX and the A-CL sites. :'(
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:09 PM
Pro

Supplier the likely problem.

im now thinking that the problem was probably caused at the assembly line.
Not necessarily.

I'm sure that those components are provided by a supplier to Honda. It's possible a seal got knicked during assembly of the master or slave cylinders, the bores were not properly deburred and finished, a bad check valve, a defective o-ring, a porous casting. Could be a lot of things not related to the assembly line at the plant.

Considering I suffered essentially the same problem with my '88 Legend Coupe, it's a situation that happens in spite of efforts to prevent it.
No process is 100% perfect so, by luck of the statistical draw, you happened to get the 1 defective part per however many they set as the goal.

And that does suck... :'(
Old 07-08-2004 | 04:40 PM
Advanced

I have this same problem, but it has become less frequent over time. Sometimes, it just won't go into first. If I put it in neutral and let out the clutch or put it into any other gear and back in it's fine. I have not had the best luck with my transmissions lately and I don't abuse them and I have been driving stick for years without a problem.

Both my TL and my 03 350Z have given me grief. I have heard that many car companies are having problems building good solid 6 speed transmissions. Nissan has a history of provlems starting with their Sentra SER, all the way to the 350Z and Porsche and Honda have had some issues that I have heard of. The strange thing is these companies 5 speeds have overall been very reliable.

Good luck and let us know what you find out,
Old 07-08-2004 | 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Exactly what it sounds like
Old 07-08-2004 | 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

my 4cyl 5MT 1998 Accord does the same thing, hard to get into 1st. If you apply gentle pressure against 1st, it will eventually sync and go in. But for it's first 50,000 miles this was never an issue. Of course I'm told "this is normal" more typical BS.
Old 07-08-2004 | 07:38 PM
Does anyone read this

The 6 speed tranny recal is next :fingerfawk:
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:52 PM
loves his TL!

Update!

woooohoooooo!! got my car back today and it is sweeter than butter!! here's the deal:

my car suffered from a defective master and slave clutch cylinder (as my brother thought it would be). i learned something new today! it turns out that the master clutch cylinder is responsible for controlling pressure of hydraulic fluid in the clutch system of a hydraulic clutch. since mine was defective, there was little or no pressure on the hydraulic system -- hence, the clutch was barely engaging -- which explains why it would only work when the car was moving.

well, im happy as happy can be! the clutch now engages properly and it drives smoother than before!!

those two days without my TL i consider as two of the worst days of my life -- GLAD ITS OVER!!