Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Lug Nuts

Anybody here want to give me their OEM lug nuts? I have to put my oem alloys back and I can't find my OEM lug nuts.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would give you mine, but than I wouldn't be able to drive my TL.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:13 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtV6
I would give you mine, but than I wouldn't be able to drive my TL.
If 5 of us, all having the wheel locks installed, sent him 4 each he would be good to go......

Where's the love....

Hopefully someone will have an entire set for ya Jeovaz
Old 02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy

Would love to help...mine are rusting
Old 02-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Test
Old 02-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still think I have mine, let me check. But I gave away the locking lug nuts when I sold my rims. Do you still have those. If not you will be one short for each rim.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's locking lug nuts?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:18 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by Contivity
what's locking lug nuts?
"Locking nuts" are the result of your significant other not wanting to.....

Whoops,,,, let me start over............

They are a set of "lugs" that replace one lug nut on each wheel. This special lug is not shaped like a nut thus requires a special shaped "adapter" to be inserted into the lug to remove/install it. Acts as a "lock" to help keep the "honest thieves" from steeling your rims. That’s why they call them "locking lug nuts". They don't really lock, they just require a so called "key" (adaptor) to remove/install them.
You can get a set of 4 at your Acura dealer or aftermarket shop. Each set has a specifically shaped adapter. Theoretically, no two adapters are alike....
Old 02-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
"Locking nuts" are the result of your significant other not wanting to.....

Whoops,,,, let me start over............

They are a set of "lugs" that replace one lug nut on each wheel. This special lug is not shaped like a nut thus requires a special shaped "adapter" to be inserted into the lug to remove/install it. Acts as a "lock" to help keep the "honest thieves" from steeling your rims. That’s why they call them "locking lug nuts". They don't really lock, they just require a so called "key" (adaptor) to remove/install them.
You can get a set of 4 at your Acura dealer or aftermarket shop. Each set has a specifically shaped adapter. Theoretically, no two adapters are alike....
Not true. I don't know the exact number, but there are probably around 6, and no more than 12, different adapters, available. They are made by McGard and are standard issue locking lug nuts. Any auto repair shop or body shop, and probably a bunch of other places, can buy a complete set of adapters, so you can bet the thieves can also.

And the adapters are not unique to Acura. The same patterns are used on every set made, so if you have a set for a Cadillac, or whatever, it should fit the Acura lug nuts. The adapter for the locking nuts on my 87 Olds 98 fits my 04 TL locking nuts.

As you said, all it does is keep the "honest thieves" from stealing your wheels.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:05 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by Ron A
Not true. I don't know the exact number, but there are probably around 6, and no more than 12, different adapters, available. They are made by McGard and are standard issue locking lug nuts. Any auto repair shop or body shop, and probably a bunch of other places, can buy a complete set of adapters, so you can bet the thieves can also.

And the adapters are not unique to Acura. The same patterns are used on every set made, so if you have a set for a Cadillac, or whatever, it should fit the Acura lug nuts. The adapter for the locking nuts on my 87 Olds 98 fits my 04 TL locking nuts.

As you said, all it does is keep the "honest thieves" from stealing your wheels.
Interesting,,,,,
I too would not claim to know the exact number of adapters but could comfortably say their is more than 12..... Due to pure curiosity not to mention I needed to get a customers tires off, I went through an entire box one day at the dealership (years ago), probably over twenty sets - non were "exactly" alike. Not sure of the exact manufacturer yet were Nissan labeled.. As you mentioned, they could have been McGard's.

Just so you know, due to the fact I despise individuals that post information as if it were "fact", when in reality it's not - sir moderator,,,,,

Even "McGard" claims to have-and I quote: "an infinite number of key paterns"......

Hence why I stated "theoretically".....

Anyway (getting down from my soapbox), regardless of the number of keys etc., If someone wants your wheels they will get them. Wheel locks will either slow them down or hopefully deter them.

cheers
Old 02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Interesting,,,,,
I too would not claim to know the exact number of adapters but could comfortably say their is more than 12..... Due to pure curiosity not to mention I needed to get a customers tires off, I went through an entire box one day at the dealership (years ago), probably over twenty sets - non were "exactly" alike. Not sure of the exact manufacturer yet were Nissan labeled.. As you mentioned, they could have been McGard's.

Just so you know, due to the fact I despise individuals that post information as if it were "fact", when in reality it's not - sir moderator,,,,,

Even "McGard" claims to have-and I quote: "an infinite number of key paterns"......

Hence why I stated "theoretically".....

Anyway (getting down from my soapbox), regardless of the number of keys etc., If someone wants your wheels they will get them. Wheel locks will either slow them down or hopefully deter them.

cheers

i can undo any keyed lugnut very easily. all they do is help to prevent the inexperieneced thief from taking your wheels.

if anyone is familiar with cable-tv type-f connector lockouts, this is what needs to be made for cars.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

They may say they have an infinite number of patterns, but consider this. They almost have to limit the number of patterns for a specific vehicle. How else would the parts or service department be able to stock the necessary adapters to remove the locking lug nut if they got a car for service and couldn't find the adapter, or the customer was stuck on the road with a flat tire, didn't have his adapter, and called the dealer for help? This is why I say the maximum number for any specific vehicle application might be about 12.

And how could McGard possibly tool up to manufacture an "infinite" number of patterns. The cost would be astronomical, not to mention the logistics of stocking replacement keys for each if these "infinite" patterns.

I am just speaking from my experience as a dealer parts manager who had to stock every key for all of the lug nuts sold for our particular cars, which were Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and GMC Trucks. And how do you account for the fact that the key for my Olds fits my Acura lug nuts?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:00 PM
WDP Director of R & D

They may say they have an infinite number of patterns, but consider this. They almost have to limit the number of patterns for a specific vehicle. How else would the parts or service department be able to stock the necessary adapters to remove the locking lug nut if they got a car for service and couldn't find the adapter, or the customer was stuck on the road with a flat tire, didn't have his adapter, and called the dealer for help? This is why I say the maximum number for any specific vehicle application might be about 12.

And how could McGard possibly tool up to manufacture an "infinite" number of patterns. The cost would be astronomical, not to mention the logistics of stocking replacement keys for each if these "infinite" patterns.

I am just speaking from my experience as a dealer parts manager who had to stock every key for all of the lug nuts sold for our particular cars, which were Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and GMC Trucks. And how do you account for the fact that the key for my Olds fits my Acura lug nuts?
Hi Ron,
I'm not contesting all of your comments because I don't have the facts to back it up. I can say that with near 9 years at a Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, GMC, Nissan, and then Chrysler when I left that dealer, we did not have/stock any replacement "adapters" to help customers out etc.. If they lost theirs we improvised and removed their locks then installed new ones. Many cars were towed-in due to this issue...
This was however many years ago thus I can't say for current ops.

As for "McGards", they don't specify between locks sold to "Auto-manufacturers/dealers" vs aftermarket distributors. So may be there is a difference between available patterns (less for dealers due to availability of "maintenance keys"?). But they do offer replacements for individual keys and locks if you have the proper ID codes.
Tooling wise, it's a patented computerized milling process that allows for the "infinite" patterns. Thus re-tooling isn't an issue, rather just a keystroke to initiate a milling pattern. It would be interesting to know if they actually stock "replacements" and/or just mill you replacements if requested via your registered code.....

As for why your Olds lock fits your Acura? Either it is a fact that locks/patterns sold to dealers (or in general) are limited and it is "identical", or it is just close enough to fit but not a perfect fit. I have witnessed that before - yet stripped the lock trying to use and remove.

Lastly, if locks sold to a Dealer/Manufacturer are limited in patterns it would be to everyone’s best interest to purchase their locks elsewhere. At least this way you might benefit from McGards "infinite" claim...

I will ask my Parts Manager the next time I see him though. I am interested to see if dealerships have all "known" keys for their vehicle types etc..

Very interesting Ron,

Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Interesting conversation here.

When I was parts manager, I stocked every key so I had about 60 keys for all the various lug nuts. There was another manufacturer, which doubled the number of keys required, but I can't remember the name.

McGard uses a pattern like a cloverleaf, and the other manufacturer had grooves in the side of the lug nut and corresponding ridges in the key.

Since its been 12 years since I was a parts manager, I can't say that technological advances might have been made that allow McGard to do what you say, so I am not arguing the point, just using logic to question it.

How did you remove their locks? We never could, since the lug nuts are hardened steel, the metal was smooth, and there isn't enough room to get a wrench on the nut. But I'm sure there must be a way, I just don't know what it is.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually need OEM lug nuts also. :-D
Old 02-26-2005, 11:46 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Interesting conversation here.

When I was parts manager, I stocked every key so I had about 60 keys for all the various lug nuts. There was another manufacturer, which doubled the number of keys required, but I can't remember the name.

McGard uses a pattern like a cloverleaf, and the other manufacturer had grooves in the side of the lug nut and corresponding ridges in the key.

Since its been 12 years since I was a parts manager, I can't say that technological advances might have been made that allow McGard to do what you say, so I am not arguing the point, just using logic to question it.

How did you remove their locks? We never could, since the lug nuts are hardened steel, the metal was smooth, and there isn't enough room to get a wrench on the nut. But I'm sure there must be a way, I just don't know what it is.

On what I would call the "easier ones" (not as tight), you could pound a 16 point deepwell socket -of tight fit- then just use a breaker bar on it. When that didn't work, the more stuborn ended up having the body shop guys grind the face of the lock then weld a device on to "assist" removal.
Like you, my time at the Dealership ended in the early 90's. You remember all of the Cadillac/Olds/Pontiac hub-caps that had the center locking nut/bolt? What a pain - Atleast we had extra "key" wrenches to get those off. Peopole were always loosing them..

Cheers
Old 02-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool Look and ye shall find....

Anticipating that my lug nuts might rust or get knicked sometime in the future, everytime I visit the dealer (to get a free cup of coffee- not to take my baby there), I go to the clean up area which is outside in the back (Florida, you know).

There, on the ground, there are dozens of lug nuts that have come off to be replaced with the locking lug nuts. There are several different sizes. The TSX and RSX are shorter, the MDX is longer. It helps if you have one for the TL to compare.

The first thing to do is to tell your sales person you want the OEM lugs they took off. He/she will send you to the clean up man who will pull out a box full of them and give you four.

Then, help yourself to those discarded on the ground that match. I get a pocket full everytime I am there- off the ground.

I also have "stocked" for future use, the tailpipe extension gray shields on the bumper and other parts they take off and throw away when you get an A-spec installed. I rescued them from the trash barrel. I don't know what they do with the old bumper covers and rocker panels but I don't think they discard them. If they do, I would try and snag those as well. Ya' never know when you're going to bang one of those up.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I have to agree with Ron on the combinations issue. When I took my TL in for its first service last year, I forgot to bring the wheel lock and give it to the dealer. THey didn't ask me for the key at all, I watched the service tech the whole time. He opened his drawer and pulled out a key and took off my wheel locks no problem. So there has to be limited set of keys available, otherwise the dealer would have asked me for the wheel lock key at the time of tire rotation.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Interesting Thread....

But I need nuts!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Here's a partial quote from this thread that finally confirms what I have been saying about the number of different keys available for locking lug nuts.

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
The other night I brought my TL to the dealer to get my flat spotting Turanza's and clicking brake pedal assembly switch replaced. After we did the paperwork and I handed over my keys, I went off to the showroom to look around. I then remembered that I hadn't told them where the wheel lock master was. So I went back to the Service writer and he told me not to worry, because they had the masters - all twelve of them!!! Needless to say I was a little surprised to find out that supposedly there are only 12 different wheel lock sets and that apparently the dealers have them.
I fully realize that there wouldn't be an unlimited number of sets, but 12
Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Here's a partial quote from this thread that finally confirms what I have been saying about the number of different keys available for locking lug nuts.
It's all lies!!!! A lugnut conspiracy...!!!

I stand corrected and in the line of fire...

I still wonder if this is only the case for "dealer" sold locks...? But then again Ron A's Olds 98 lock fitting his Acura is a negative sign....

Very interesting...
More true now than ever - having wheel locks definitely only keeps the "very" honest from stealing your wheels....

Good info
Old 03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Lug nut locks are just like those little locks for your luggage. There are probably not more than 2-3 different keys in the whole product line.

And a belated reply to your prior post, I do remember the center locks. I also sold a lot of hub caps to people who didn't know about the lock and thought they were just hard to get off, so they stuck the end of the lug nut wrench in betweem the rim and the cap and gave it all they had. I used to get used caps from Hub Cap Annie in Memphis because new ones cost so much.

I wonder if jeovaz-TL still needs nuts.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Originally Posted by jeovaz-TL
But I need nuts!