Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Nose Mask water-proof or rain-safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Is Nose Mask water-proof or rain-safe?

The instuction has indicated that the nose mask should cleaned by a solution of mild liquid dishwashing soap and water to clean the vinyl and the flannel backing. Then, hang it to dry, out of direct sunlight.

Can you drive it under the rainy days? Do you have to remove it right away after rain and clean/dry it right away before you put it back to your hood?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:48 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely clean it before putting it back on, or the dirt/debris could scratch your paint. Also, when the nose mask gets wet, it can cloud the pait. You should not leave it on in the rain and make sure it is dry before you put it back on. Personally, I only put mine on for long road trips and take it off for normal, every-day driving.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

moeronn,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did check with this and saw your comments, http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82563

I do put it on for the long trip, but if it's raining in the midst of the trip, would you take it off to clean/dry/put-back? Or, you just leave it on until the trip is over...
Old 07-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would never recommend anyone to use a front end bra. I had one on my old ass 93 Accord and when I took it off dirt had gotten caught under it and scratched the crap outta my hood. It also discolors the paint after long term use. Kinda like a person with tan lines
Old 07-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

al900rr,

Thanks. I do consider this impact prior to my purchase, but I truely hope the way I'm using it will reduce this damage to the minimum. I won't put it on unless I have the long trip for days.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Don't scare me about front bras....I was thinking of buying one for my upcoming cross-country trip to Colorado (2600 miles round trip + God knows how many trips from Colorado Springs to Denver, 140 miles round trip each time!). I really need to know whether it can tolerate rain. I'm sure it can for short periods, but wish confirmation.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

neuronbob,

I'm glad to know you also doubt if this would work. Unfortunately, I have it now, and it has to work. As long as this vinyl-like mask could resist rain and sunburn for a dozen of days, I'd be pretty satisfied with this.

I know the clear bra could protect some average gravel, but this full nose mask seems better in protection and keep flying insects away.

Our thin paint hood does need something to protect...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Racer

:shit:!!! lol well i am in the midst of a CC trip from LA to NY and went without a bra... so i broke down and gps'd to Mile High Acura (huge place) in Denver CO this morning, and picked up a bra... took me about 45 min in the heat to install it, but once it was done i was really satisfied... i feel much better on the road with the bugs smacking into the bra and not the paint. Anywho i made sure i got a good wash on the car and made sure it was dry before i put it on...

Well im in Kansas now and I hit RAIN. AHHHH, well when we stop off tonight im going to take it off just incase and have it dry in my hotel room.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Neogeek,

I spent 30 mins to install... but it will be pain of neck if I have to take it on/off. I'm glad you finally got something to guard your engine hood. There were at least a dozen of chip/ding in my 3.5k trip in last Nov.

Any bra should be better than nothing... :o
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Racer

If your car is lighter color, you should be fine, not sure about dark color. I put factory bra on my 00 silver Accord all the time no matter sunny or raining except while washing the car. It's been 4 years, and the paint still looks good, no cloud at all. However, I wax my car and clean the bra all the time before I put it back on.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Racer

Nose Mask

I have always gotten a nose mask for every new car. I have the dealer "throw it in" as a perk for the purchase, as well as the mudguards, gold trim, and any other little extra I can finagle.

The nose mask is waterproof. HOWEVER - Don't leave it on in the rain. The problem is that the rain will wash dirt and grit down behind the mask, so vibration and wind can cause it to get rubbed into your paint. As much of a drag as it is, take it off if it is raining. The masks come off in jsut 2 minutes - it's putting them on that takes a while.

I keep the cars protected with the hard Zaino polymer, I have NEVER had a mask make any kind of mark on the car.

ALSO - it is important to keep the BACK of the mask REALLY clean - be sure to vacuum it periodically to remove any dirt or grit. For the front, I use Zaino tire dressing - it keeps it black and with a nice finish.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
From the Desert 2 the sea

I too got the bra as a 'gimme' with the purchase of the car. And I don't know about it affecting the paint color over a long time.
I will share that it really scratched my hood. And honestly I took it off, cleaned it and packed it away.
I figure if I take any cross country trips I'll throw it on to prevent chips and stuff but I know the trade off will be scratches. And I really pampered the thing and the car and have not idea how the dirt (or rocks) got between the bra and the hood but wow what a bummer.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer

well after 30 min of raining, i had dinner and then found a hotel in Kansas and then took the bra off immediatly as soon as i got a room, it only took a couple min to take off. After taking it off, everything looked fine except for one of the tabs that you shuve into the lights, when i took one of them off all this grey goo crap was like sticking to it (glue from the tabs?) well it didnt get onto my car so thats all that matters...

Also about those tabs for the windows, are there any easy ways to put them on? thats what took the longest on my installation

Also, is the hood mask supposed to line up with the bumber mask when the hood is closed? mine is a little off where the end of the hood is higher then the end of bumper... sorry if i lost you there

Oh tommorrow's trip will mostly be in the rain, but i really want to protect the front from all the rocks and stuff, i just brought my car in for a wash today so the car dosnt really have any dirt, would i still be safe, or would it be better that i just leave it off. I no previous experience with how to handle these things since this is my first car.

thanks for all your help\

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I have not seen one TL on the road... The only TL that i saw was yesterday in Las Vegas... a Blue TL parked in the blueberry hill parking lot...

wierd, all i see are minivans and pickups.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'll pay attention to these situations...

automophile, thanks for your advise... keep out of rain and make sure no dirt under the mask, plus some layers of wax...

To Neogeek,

When installing the mask, the biggest problems I have encoutered were to remove two clips from the hood insulator and to insert the small tab from the mask between the bumper and the fender on each sides. Both of them totally took me 15 minutes to make them done.

Also, the end of the hood's in my car is also unparalled to the end of bumper's. Besdies, I believe it's always the key to prevent any scratch or damage if you could keep your hood clean before putting the mask on.

Good luck to you. If you find anything new, please write it up. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think I'm just going to get a clear bra before I leave, I've been wanting one forever anyway. I'm pretty sure it's a simple matter to clean bugs off the clear bra by washing, and I can always Zaino it before I leave. I finally put some resources (read: Google ) into it and found some places nearby where I could both get the paint touched up and have a clearbra done.

Ziebart has a location right in my zipcode. The advantage to using them would be that they do tints too, so I could have my car tinted at the same time.
Block A Chip is local and does mobile installations using Xpel, which uses 3M's special coating. I used Xpel on the headlights on my 2G TL, works great!

As usual, will keep all appraised.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:26 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yup! Clearbra is really good. I got it installed from Invisiguard. I do not have any problems clearing bugs from it. Everywash takes care of those. I've put 4 coats of Zaino on the clearbra and can hardly be noticed even on my NBP. Get it guys, protect your paint.