Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokia Bluetooth Add-On for Pop-Port Phones

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokia Bluetooth Add-On for Pop-Port Phones

Nokia just came out with a Bluetooth add-on adapter for use on any of their phones that have the Pop-port connector on the bottom of the phone.

This means that phones like
...and many more ...(I don't know all the Pop-port models) will all be able to be retrofited to have Bluetooth.

Great news....hope this helps.

Available 1Q 2004:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,47878,00.html
Old 10-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Race Director

I dont think it will work with the TL though, it needs special Handsfree Profile
Old 10-29-2003, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Sorry, but bad news here. This is from the FAQ section on the adapter:

"9. What does the car-shaped icon on the phone's display mean? Does it mean that the Wireless Audio Adapter can be used together with a wireless car kit?

The small car-shaped icon on the phone's display means that the Wireless Audio Adapter has been successfully paired with a compatible headset. The Wireless Audio Adapter is not compatible with wireless car kits. "

Looks like this adapter is strictly for headsets and sync-ing.

Bummer.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Racer

Well.....I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and say that I think it will work. Here is why and I'll also address the points brought up so far.

2004tl, yes the new TL requires the handsfree profile. and I believe this adapter gives the phone this profile at least to would be bluetooth headset.

Mook, the wireless audio adapter is irrelevant. That is an adapter that nokia sells for connecting their phones to your car. With the new TL you don't need this wireless car kit.

So to recap what I see is that this Bluetooth adapter will give you a Bluetooth connection to a compatible Bluetooth headset. I believe a compatible headset would the the new TL itself. This adapter would probably see the TL as being a headset. Notice that there are Bluetooth headsets that require the Handsfree Profile and I believe this adapter will give the phone this profile.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Question

Galfert,

The whole "handsfree profile" thing is a bit of a mystery in that not all manufacturers denote it in their product specs. Some do tell you what version of Bluetooth they use, but I don't think that alone will guarantee compatability.

As for the quote from the Nokia FAQ, I was merely trying to point out that the adapter only works with headsets and not with a wireless car kit. I would assume that a wireless car kit would work in a similar fashion to the TL's handsfree link, but that is an assumption, I'll need to see what Nokia's wireless car kit does.

I also have read that plug in Bluetooth headset adapters, the one made by Jabra for example, don't work with the TL. Again I would assume that since most headsets work in the same fashion the Nokia adapter will follow suit.

Hey, if you can find a source for this adapter and try it out that would be great, just make sure you can get your money back if it doesn't, and if it does, we all have some more alternatives other than the current handful of compatible phones.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Some more information:

I did a search on "bluetooth profile" and discovered within the Bluetooth standard there are various profiles that specify the interface standards for various types of Bluetooth interfaces.

Well there are distinct standards for a Headset Profile and a Handsfree Profile. Also the specs for the Nokia adapter list it as using the Headset Profile.

So my conclusion is unless the TL can interface using the Headset Profile, the Nokia (or any other adaper that is Headset Profile only) won't work. So, I guess this is a question for Acura as to whether the Headset Profile will work with the TL. If it does, it will have to be at a reduced level of functionality (no voice dialing, signal strength display, phone book, etc.).