Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Question

Well, I made the deal for my new TL last night, but now I have a strange question. The color combo I wanted (Anthracite/Ebony w/ Navi) was not on the lot (surprise but one is being built on the 30th, delivered on 11/10. That wasn't too long to wait, so I ordered that one.

Well, the negotiations got a little pissy, and I eventually asked to speak with the sales manager, and he turned out to be a little more reasonable and level headed than the salesman (oddly enough). The sales manager and I came to a deal that I thought was reasonable, and the salesman wasn't too thrilled. I guess the Navi option is in MUCH hotter demand than anticipated, and this guy wasn't too happy that I was getting a reasonable deal, AND it looked like his manager pulled the rug out from under him a bit.

Anyway, I signed the standard agreement, but I don't recall a specific date on it, just the combo I wanted. Has anyone had a problem with a dealer selling the car you ordered, making you wait longer for another car? I know seems stupid, but what if another guy comes in who is a sucker, and they can make an extra 3k? Do I have any rights to the car I ordered, or can they just make me wait until they get one that isn't sold before it hits the lot?

I've never had to wait before, so I'm not sure, and I guess my trade continues to lose value, so maybe it works too much against them, but last night was very strange. Usually as soon as you make the deal the salesman goes from enemy to buddy, but he was not happy about the whole thing seemingly right up until I walked out.

Thanks.

Ryan
Old 10-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Tough sh*t for the salesman. Its a shame when dropping some serious bills on a purchase, that you don't walk out of the dealership with a smile from ear to ear.

As for the agreement, all i signed was the details on the car. I don't think they even wrote a delivery timeframe. I am not too worried because I have faith in the dealership.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Ryan,

Car dealerships are some of the most unscrupulous businesses around. They will screw you over without hesitation if it will make them an extra $100, let alone $3000.

Out of curiosity, what kind of deal did you get? Did they give you a significant dicount off the sticker? Did they throw in a lot of freebies? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Ordered the exact same 04' Tl (Anthracite with Ebony interior - 5AT and Navigation System). The build date was specified as 10/28 and delivery was mid-November.

The dealership I dealt with nows me rather well - I don't expect any problems with delivery or the date specified.

By the way - are you gonna' get the wing or lip spoiler on yours.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Instructor

My deal was "ok". I knew going this was not going to be my typical experience, I was willing to let them make their money on me, I just didn't want to get screwed in the trade.

So, I had an offer on the table from another dealer for $1k under MSRP, and 15k for my trade, which is an 2003 Accord LX 4 cyl. Auto with 12,500 miles. I thought 15k was a good trade, and I thought a discount off MSRP was nice, so I wanted to do business with the original dealer, but they are pretty far away, and pissed me off when they "bait and switched" me. They didn't have the car they said they did, and I don't want to wait 2 months.

So, Instead of a $19,195 differential, I settled on $20,195. I don't think I got a "great" deal by any means, but I wanted the car pretty bad, and wasn't going to go above that number anyway. Their original offer was $22,195.

I did not get any options or freebies thrown in with this deal, but I didn't ask for them, and seeing as how they were getting pissed, I decided to take my deal, which was acceptable to me, and run. I just don't want them selling my car from underneath me.

Ryan
Old 10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

Which dealership was it?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rybocf

Try to get them to give you a VIN. When I signed my deposit form, the VIN was spefically stated on it. And when the car came in, it was marked "sold" so no one can test drive it. I received it with 7 miles on it.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to order one but when I saw the same color on an 03, I didn't like it. They had a Satin Silver and Deep Pearl Green coming in that were not sold so I bought the green. Had to wait one week before it was delivered. In the meantime, they gave me an 03 loaner to drive. I was at the dealer yesterday to have the locking lugs added. Quite a few people came up to it. Said they didn't realize how nice the green looked.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Which dealership was it?

Clair Acura in Walpole.

I don't think I can get VIN until the car is built, right?

Ryan