Sponsored by:

no emblem on grille

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no emblem on grille

hey guys,
ive been thinking bout taking off the acura emblem on the front grille on my 08 tl. but im not sure how well it would look.
has anyone on the forum done this to their cars? if so, id appreaciate if u could show me some pics or ur opinions on what i should do to make my final decision.
thank u my fellow acurazine members!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
It will look funny in my opinion...
You'll have a silver-bar going across the grill with a very big hole in the middle... and it shows.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

It would look something like this...

Now imagine that on the car
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

well i mean liking takin the whole piece off along with the emblem.
does that make sense?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Pro

yes, im planning on doing mine, but you have to do some custom work and use bondo and all kinds of fun stuff. Not a simple day job lol
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

It would look good if there's nothing there [the silver bar].
I'm actually doing that now... Had it done before but the job was poopy... now I'm fixing it up...
There isn't a lot of custom work to be done.. just bondo-ing and painting.
The thing you do is... take off the bumper, take off the grill-pieces, chop off the cross-section of the grill [it's apart of the bumper], fill in the two holes with bondo, prep-work on the bondo, then paint... oh yeah.. also applying mesh and perhaps an emblem.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Should come out like this...

Ignore the circle and arrows.. and any imperfections you see.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

WTF is up with those headlights?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Has anyone come across an aftermarket grill?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
DuDeChEwY

it might look good if its done right.......
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

hey man thanks for the pics.
i mean, there's some good lookin tl's in birmingham,alabama but im tryin to make mine different from the rest if u know what i mean.

but, where did u get urs done at?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by aznacuraguy3
well i mean liking takin the whole piece off along with the emblem.
does that make sense?
Been there done that threads are out there. Or look closely at my avatar

Komodo I disagree, it really isn't that easy. Well unless you want it done right! And PLEASE don't use regular Bondo on plastic!!! It WILL crack because of flex! I researched all of this. The fiberglass repair kit will NOT work either! You need to patch it up with a plastic type of epoxy that will allow flex! Use Bondo's special bumper fix kit, that is the stuff you need!

I used carbon fiber and powder coated mesh as well.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Been there done that threads are out there. Or look closely at my avatar

Komodo I disagree, it really isn't that easy. Well unless you want it done right! And PLEASE don't use regular Bondo on plastic!!! It WILL crack because of flex! I researched all of this. The fiberglass repair kit will NOT work either! You need to patch it up with a plastic type of epoxy that will allow flex! Use Bondo's special bumper fix kit, that is the stuff you need!

I used carbon fiber and powder coated mesh as well.
Damn. My bumper is going to have fun cracking then... hahah.
I used only bondo, don't remember what kind.. and it's too late now cause there's paint on the label. I think it was some sort of... bumper-fill-repair-bondo.
Under the holes I tried to make supports so that it won't crack completely.

Originally Posted by DJSlim
WTF is up with those headlights?
That's....... the lame eyelids my friend made using CF sheets. His idea of a 'visual' representation of what would be made. He wanted to do it the cheap way... while I wanted to do it the longer-harder-much-more-worth-it-way [using layers of actual CF or fiberglass]. I actually took that apart once I left town.. as well as fix up the damn mess he made on my grill.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
ADVANCE.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Should come out like this...

Ignore the circle and arrows.. and any imperfections you see.

She looks sleepy...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 PM
King of NYC

Komodo your TL looks like it's been through a war homie! jkidding.

I dunno about that emblem you have there. It might look better replacing the original "A" like darksom did. If you want details just let me know.

By the way stop hidin them headlights. Black/clear them once and for all and show em off!

These are all cheap mods, they cost nothing much but time and energy. The end result is a 1000% improvement.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Komodo your TL looks like it's been through a war homie! jkidding.

I dunno about that emblem you have there. It might look better replacing the original "A" like darksom did. If you want details just let me know.

By the way stop hidin them headlights. Black/clear them once and for all and show em off!

These are all cheap mods, they cost nothing much but time and energy. The end result is a 1000% improvement.
Do you mean to using the original A? Or replacing what I used for the original A? What I have on now is a new emblem that has a gunmetal sort of back to it.. I'm contemplating if I should elevate it or leave it flat with the mesh.

I don't know, I like the agressive look.. just wasn't fond of the ghetto-eyelids my friend did up. [he owns a 6g Celica and did similar to his headlights].
I want to black out my heads... and do a ZKW swap. Thinking of doing it at once.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take out the Acura elbem and buy a transformer one and stick it on. definition of legit. hahaha
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Do you mean to using the original A? Or replacing what I used for the original A? What I have on now is a new emblem that has a gunmetal sort of back to it.. I'm contemplating if I should elevate it or leave it flat with the mesh.

I don't know, I like the agressive look.. just wasn't fond of the ghetto-eyelids my friend did up. [he owns a 6g Celica and did similar to his headlights].
I want to black out my heads... and do a ZKW swap. Thinking of doing it at once.
Back in 2006, before darksom did his grille we both discussed and planned this whole concept of what would look best and how to execute it.

The grille style we have all done is a recessed one. It's the same PPLAPW, ACCURATEin and among others in the grille club have all done. I have never seen someone do a flush grille yet, like a 2GTL aftermarket grille, though in theory it could be done. If you ask me the recessed one is WAY better because it looks more aggressive like an open mouth and makes the mesh look less prominent.

In darksom's case he basically reused the original symbol WITH it's "cup". This allowed it to stick out a bit and lie in the same plane as before and give it a "floating" effect. It looks good because the emblem stays "framed" and it lies in the same plane as before at the proper rake and angle. If you put the emblem directly on the grille it gives a totally different appearance to the grille. We both agreed it wouldn't look good. It's all a matter of taste I guess.

So right now darksom has the floating "A" to be different and I have an offset A-Spec symbol to be different.

I love the way my car looks. It's always sayin I'll kick yo ass!

full thread with pics:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/rockyfeller-asks%3B-how-should-my-grille-look-631329/

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-05-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Thanks for the info.
I like the floating A look, using the original emblem as well...
But I'm not sure how I should execute it so that it does not show the left/right screws[or where it used to have screws].
So... right now I have an aftermarket Acura "A" emblem and it lays flat along the mesh just as your a-spec badge.
I'm thinking of trying to create a small platform-like-thing for the new "A" emblem to sit on.. but on an angle so that the top part angles in towards the driver.. and the bottom part angles outwards towards the edge of the car.
I just finished cleaning up the mess that my friend created [cut holes, drilled holes visible zip ties, visible bondo work.. crappy paint job]. Should be ready to primer and paint.