Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TL-S Owner -- 4 Month Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
New TL-S Owner -- 4 Month Impressions

As a newer owner of a 2008 CBP TL Type S, I thought I share my fresh impressions of the car after 4 months, and ask what your experiences are.

I have really grown to love the car, and have learned a great deal on Acurazine about how to maintain and upgrade it—thanks to you guys!

POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS:

• This car is a rocket with an incredibly smooth and powerful 3.5L engine. At full throttle (which I rarely do) the acceleration (even bone stock) makes me smile.

• The body design is simply beautiful, classy, and timeless. People comment on how nice the car looks-it’s just cool looking. The chassis is stiff; the body design looks clean and compact, but wraps a full sized sedan with plenty of comfortable space inside.

• I view the TL-S in the same “serious high performance car for grown-up’s” mold as a BMW, but with Honda reliability, much more reasonable operating costs, and without the “look at me I’m rich” attitude.

• The interior ergonomics and features are excellent—even for a gadget freak. Generous convenience features make the car fun to interact with: HFL bluetooth, navigation, sound system, XM, trip computer, aux input, multiple shifting options, rear camera, tire pressure system, maintenance reminders, etc. The only downside to this rich features set is that there are more things that can break.

• One of the most surprising and enjoyable things about owning this car is discovering the network of Acura enthusiasts who help each other out. TL owners are some seriously cool people!

LESS POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS (minor, but real):

• Ride seems a bit too stiff and jiggly for my taste on less than perfect surfaces. I understand that this is a performance suspension, but I’ve experienced sports cars with better compliance—including my Z, which is dropped. The upside is almost zero body roll when cornering.

• It’s a nuisance that the transmission requires replacement of 3 pressure switches to cure tranny shudder and prevent premature wear or self-destruction—replacement is not too big a deal if you can DIY; awful if you have to pay a dealer to install.

• Engine mount failure is too common—I’ve replaced front and side mounts, and need to do a 3rd.

• The premium gas requirement and moderate city gas mileage encourages me to drive smoothly and gently.

• The engine is prone to slow oil leaks, power steering fluid leaks, and ATF leaks—I’ve had to correct all three, and this seems pretty unusual for a Honda product.

• Squirrely front wheel drive traction at the limits with power applied—not a confidence building experience (especially in the wet) when accelerating around ramps and curves—but this is still outweighed by the practical advantages of front wheel drive—including being able to use the car in the snow. Clearly the TL is designed to be more of a powerful luxury sedan than a sports car.

• The stock Brembo brakes wear quickly, dust allot, and are expensive—the upside is that the Type S can seriously stop when needed. And there are limitless good aftermarket brake options.

• Other things that make me go huh? include the tape deck (what the?), not-so-great perforated leather seat surface quality, ELS sound quality EQ’d too “bright,” and the fact that the interior does seem a bit prone to squeaks and rattles.

All in all I’m really enjoying my TL. While the car seems to require a bit more TLC than my previous Honda Preludes and Accords, it’s way more reliable than my old Infiniti i30. And it’s faster, cooler looking, more fun to drive, and more interesting to operate. It has a great sporty personality that I’m getting attached to—no wonder TL drivers are such car enthusiasts!

What are your impressions?

Last edited by dannyz; 04-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by dannyz:
Acura_Dude (04-04-2013), Curious3GTL (04-13-2013), Glepage22 (04-05-2013), Kaiii (10-15-2013), micaelangelo (11-01-2013), Undying Dreams (04-04-2013), Willie3.5 (10-15-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Nice review, I can agree on all your points made.

Seems like you got unlucky with all the leaks. So far, only my PS pump is leaking fluid.

I'm glad you're enjoying the car.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
positive

1. Body style is aging well, I always get a head turn and yes my car is stock.

2. Unique Type S stand out compare to base.

3. Loaded with option even compare to today car standard.

4. Acurazine FTW.

5. best suspension I ever drive.

not so positive.

1. torque steer under full throttle

2. hard shifting into 4 gear near red line (hope 3rd &4th pressure switch solve this issue)

3. Dam those rattle.

4. leather quality could be better consider the price tag when new.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Stuff we all knew already.

Even though you have more negatives than positives, I hope you continue to enjoy your Type S.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Stuff we all knew already.

Even though you have more negatives than positives, I hope you continue to enjoy your Type S.
I'm loving it. The negatives I've experienced have been small, bothersome details, while the positives are major items fundamental to the quality of the car's design and the driving and ownership experience. The positives far outweigh the other issues. It's a great car!

The other nice thing is that there are countless things you can do to customize it--as I have learned from you Steven!
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (04-05-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Nice review, I can agree on all your points made.

Seems like you got unlucky with all the leaks. So far, only my PS pump is leaking fluid.

I'm glad you're enjoying the car.
pro avatar IMO
Undying Dreams (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Awesome review! Thanks for sharing and welcome to AZ.........
You may want to register her at www.myacura.com
Save you radio/navi codes there for safe keeping.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my TL-S, but those negatives are pretty far from being minor.

I enjoy the stiffer ride but maybe that is because I came from a floaty boaty ES300.

While the technology features on the car are great, the navi leaves me banging my head against the steering wheel quite a bit. The map picture quality looks like it is out of the 1960's, search functionality is pretty cumbersome sending you 500 miles out of your way to your local restaurant and the routing to your destination can send you on some pretty WTF paths. I also wish I was able to stream music via bluetooth to the car.

The performance has been great for a sedan with all the room and as you mentioned, the reliability and service costs are a little bit lower than counterparts. The transmission pressure switches are a hassle, breaks wear fast (although this is slightly understandable for the great breaks), interior quality has some wear issues and can be noisy in cold weather. I had the power steering recall done and have not had any other leaks at fault of the car (but at fault of my Acura dealer, yes).

And last edit-- the paint quality. Have any of you noticed this? It seems to not hold up to much at all. We frequently have to clear our cars off here in WI from snow and it seems like if you look at it the wrong way your down to the metal. I have been pretty disappointed with how it holds up to slight accidental brush ups or nicks.

Overall, I really enjoy my TL-S and will be keeping it for a long while, but there are some issues. I suppose that is to be expected of a relatively high performance sedan. We probably have fewer issues than our BMW & Audi counterparts. Probably not to Lexus though.

I think Acura needs to get their ass in gear if they expect to keep up with Hyundai (more so) and Kia (less so). These companies are putting out some pretty peppy vehicles. Although their interior quality is clearly below Acura at the moment, these companies have made great strides in the last 5 years. The Hyundai Sonata 4-cylinder Turbo keeps right up to par with my TL-S on a straight line drag race. If Acura expects to stay Acura, they have no room for slip ups.

Last edited by ALarsh; 04-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Nice reviews and glad to hear yu are overall happy with your TL-S.

As for the issues you have noted, I had no clue the pressure switch and tranny issues were related to the 07 and 08's as well. I was under the impressions that the tranny issues were only for the 04-06 model years. I have had two different automatic Type S's and the trannies have been solid.
I have not experienced a single fluid leak on any of the 5 TL's Ihave owned. I have never heard of leaks being an issue with the 3rd Gen TL.
Most of not all higher end sport/luxury cars run on premium as far as I know. Atleast any performance vehicle Ihave owned has been a premo burner.
The TL does have some interior rattles, but if you work at them a little you can get them to be pretty solid and quiet.

Overall im very pleased with the Type S as well. I think what attracts me to it the most is its design. Something about it just looks soo good especially considering its basc designgoes as far back as 2004.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the club family!! I agree with all of the pro's and I mos def agree with the Brembo brake dust. I had to go back to the dealer and raise hell because I just got the car a month ago. All in all this is my fourth TL but 1st Type S. Again I love it also man!!! Congrats to you.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yn1scott
Welcome to the club family!! I agree with all of the pro's and I mos def agree with the Brembo brake dust. I had to go back to the dealer and raise hell because I just got the car a month ago. All in all this is my fourth TL but 1st Type S. Again I love it also man!!! Congrats to you.
Wait, you raised hell at the dealership because your brakes were doing exactly as they were designed to? lol, that must have been funny to see.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTS97Z28:
ALarsh (04-05-2013), GKinColo08TL (10-14-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Redwood Original

Received 188 Likes on 172 Posts
ya def. some flaws with the TL. but i love mine. my favorite car by far and i've had more than a few
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^I agree. I have owned my car for almost 7 years and it has been very trouble free, looks good, and performs well.

There are many nice things about the TL but one objective benefit is resale. Do a search on AutoTrader for your particular year against Infinity G, BMW 530, and Mercedes E350 and you will see what I mean. Those cars cost 5-20k more new and now are perhaps 2000 more or sometimes even less now as 7+ year old cars.

You do that over time and your every 6th TL is essentially paid for by the depreciation savings over buying the others and that doesn't include the maintenance savings even.

I can live with little nits like tape decks and FWD performance characteristics. I love the performance and the easy ability to get 30+ MPG on the highway hotfooting it even.
dannyz (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If I may comment, from the original negative's:

The transmission is only going down that road if you drive wild; like what puts a smile on your face, will eventually be passed to the mechanic fixing it. So that is why you must fix those, this problem has been onset since the 1st gen CL. The trans oil needs to be cooled, and the two sensors must be switched out, if you drive wild.

My Mother Drives the 97...the one with guaranteed issues if those things are not changed via manufacturer, and has had no issues with shifting. It is almost at 300k.... you get what you give. This is a Luxury Sedan

Suspension, I have no idea what plays a roll in the performance.. but the wheel base on your Z is probably no where near the TL; just a fairly reasonable assumption

Engine mounts are always gone if you want a smile on your face. Make sure to replace it with Racing grade length, to avoid the issue from reoccurring, or even applying them before; since you know your going to drive in that fashion.

Gas Mileage is Gas Mileage... at least we got it grand on the highway.
In addition, 91 gasoline is what promotes the most saving, so think about it like acura is giving you the most bang for your buck.

You got me on the last two, but just do the brakes yourself and your in the clear. I always tell EVERYBODY.... if you do it yourself, you are ripping yourself off by not going to the UTMOST premium product.

You were about to take it a stealership and pay $$$$ for mid-grade quality SMH *hypothetically speaking

I still love my car, like those times before I purchased it and was dreaming of owning it. It is all about heritage, many of us who have experienced the 2g Type-S were probably holding there breathe for this one. I am extremely happy to own a sporty, fuel efficient, and great for the environment.

A car to keep, Daily Driver! Where as many European cars are so beefed up that they cant even pass smog less than a decade after existing. Hardly now, incorporating turbo's and power/weight efficiencies to get the very same desirable results. Power is Power, but I really like intelligence in design and craftsmanship. What American cars used to be about, once upon a Time
dannyz (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Wait, you raised hell at the dealership because your brakes were doing exactly as they were designed to? lol, that must have been funny to see.
Dont think they are suppose to squeak like hell after just a month. JTS97Z28. But as I said in another thread, I got them replaced for no charge.

Last edited by yn1scott; 04-06-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
get the duralast cmax pads, lifetime warranty.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
TLicious Type S

[quote=TrustinHFDJ;14412166]If I may comment, from the original negative's:

The transmission is only going down that road if you drive wild; like what puts a smile on your face, will eventually be passed to the mechanic fixing it. So that is why you must fix those, this problem has been onset since the 1st gen CL. The trans oil needs to be cooled, and the two sensors must be switched out, if you drive wild.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Trustin, great input, I agree with everything you observed, with one exception--I believe the TL transmissions have had issues regardless of driving style. 3G TLs have issues even when they are driven conservatively--like mine. The good news is that a genius Acurazine member discovered the probable source of the problems that lead to slipping and wear four years ago--the pressure switches. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/very-interesting-conversation-my-transmission-builder-tl-721508/

Even better, there is a cheap and not too difficult DIY fix for the two switches on the TL base, a slightly more difficult job for the three switch locations on the S. But this and ATF changes seem to take care of the issues--it did for my car which is shifting perfectly at 85K. While this is a bit of a nuisance, it's not a big problem at all compared to the reliability issues of some other cars.

This fix is another example of the Acurazine community helping out it's members tremendously. I personally would not have known which Acura to buy, what to look out for, and how to fix and maintain my TL without the members here, and the local guys in KC who have helped me out big time. I got lots of help and that's why all of us try to help out the new members. Thanks bro!
The following 2 users liked this post by dannyz:
Rayray2188 (04-07-2013), TrustinHFDJ (04-11-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How easy are the pressure sensors to replace? I have a 5at and it has 105k miles on it now and want to do that to make sure the tranny stays perfect, how hard would it be to have a tranny cooler installed?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by Rayray2188
How easy are the pressure sensors to replace? I have a 5at and it has 105k miles on it now and want to do that to make sure the tranny stays perfect, how hard would it be to have a tranny cooler installed?
Assuming you have a base TL, they're really pretty easy because of the reasonably accessible locations on the front and side of the transmission. The base has just two pressure switches to replace. Jack the car, remove the splash cover, unhook the wiring connector from the switches, then use a deep socket to unscrew each switch from the transmission housing. Just be careful not to cross thread the replacement switches upon replacing them, and ensure you place the 3rd and 4th gear switches in the correct locations (the transmission housing is marked with the gear #). This makes it easy: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721508

The Type S is a bit of a pain because the switch locations are tougher to get to, and there are 3 switches.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the improved shifting.

Last edited by dannyz; 04-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Rayray2188 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Dan, I added an "S" to the title of your thread for you.
dannyz (04-09-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
e92 335i

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
how many miles on your type-s?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Why wasnt the crappy paint on that list of negatives? Damn swirls and rock chips!

Other than that, hope you keep on enjoying the car!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by ladiesman217
how many miles on your type-s?
If you're asking me, I bought my Type S at 83K, now have a little over 85K.

The paint on mine is actually quite excellent, maybe because of a couple advantages: First the previous owner really cared for the car and had it professionally detailed. Second, he installed a "clear bra" over the front bumper--so the paint, while a bit worn in spots where stuff really hit it at speed, is quite good. Other than that there are always some chips that have to be touched up.

You might try claybar, then mirror glaze to clean and polish and renew the finish--or take it to a professional. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Great points. What's an engine mount failure feel like?

My Type-S is a peach. She's had no problems in over 3+ years of ownership now with two different owners (me being the 2nd). I'm rapidly approaching 100K now and the only things I've replaced are the Brembos at 40K and 80K and the tires at 60K. Then again, I baby my car and have her serviced every 4K at my local dealer.

Oh and the Navi disk, but only because Acura sent it to me for $99 shipped.

I'm very impressed with Acura. I have a tendency to switch vehicles constantly, but I have no doubt "Eva" will remain in my family for life.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Race Director

JT, you never had tranny issued because you sold them before they even arose.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

JT, you never had tranny issued because you sold them before they even arose.
Maybe thats true, but even still even though I have had three different automatic TL's thats still a lot of miles driving them with no issues. The only issues I have had has been with the 6mt's. 3rd gear synchro issues, fried clutch at low miles.

My point is I didnt think the tranny issues effected 07 and 08 cars. I thought it was just the older ones. Atleast I dont recall anyone on the forums talk about issues with the 07/08 autos.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Race Director

The 04-06 trans. were more prone to it. The pressure switches help to prevent failure.

Supposedly... the 07-08 had a better trans. and was less prone to problems, however, I would still change the press. switches and fluid often.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM
TLicious Type S

AirForceFX, engine mount failure, especially with the front mount, allows the engine to tilt too much. You can inspect several of them visually (side engine, and side transmission), the front and rear transmission are a bit tougher to see (the front is covered by a rubber cover). One way to test is to place the car in park, parking brake on, brakes on, shift into drive, and gently and briefly tap the accelerator. If the front of the engine tilts up more than about 3/4 of an inch, you probably need a new front mount (and probably others). Mine was toast. The good news is that they are not too bad a DIY, I got help with mine. Good DIYs are on this site.

JTS, I suspect you may be right about less problems with later transmissions (though this could simply be explained by lower mileage cause they're newer).

I understand the Type S ('07, '08) transmissions utilized a different, beefier 3-shaft RL transmission. But I don't believe the 3.2 engine used this transmission (but I could stand corrected).

I can only speak from my personal experience. I experienced the 3-4 gear shudder and some other subtle, strange shifting characteristics after I bought the car. The switches fixed all these issues, and it now shifts positively. I saw this upgrade as very good, cheap insurance for the life of the transmission.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dannyz
AirForceFX, engine mount failure, especially with the front mount, allows the engine to tilt too much. You can inspect several of them visually (side engine, and side transmission), the front and rear transmission are a bit tougher to see (the front is covered by a rubber cover). One way to test is to place the car in park, parking brake on, brakes on, shift into drive, and gently and briefly tap the accelerator. If the front of the engine tilts up more than about 3/4 of an inch, you probably need a new front mount (and probably others). Mine was toast. The good news is that they are not too bad a DIY, I got help with mine. Good DIYs are on this site.

JTS, I suspect you may be right about less problems with later transmissions (though this could simply be explained by lower mileage cause they're newer).

I understand the Type S ('07, '08) transmissions utilized a different, beefier 3-shaft RL transmission. But I don't believe the 3.2 engine used this transmission (but I could stand corrected).

I can only speak from my personal experience. I experienced the 3-4 gear shudder and some other subtle, strange shifting characteristics after I bought the car. The switches fixed all these issues, and it now shifts positively. I saw this upgrade as very good, cheap insurance for the life of the transmission.

Any chance you can explain further the 3-4 shutter and what exactly it feels like? I would also like to hear about the other subtle and strange shifting characteristics you speak of. And lastly, changing out these pressure switches made a noticeable difference? I have not researched the switches yet so is it pretty easy to do and not too expensive? Thanks for any additional info.

James
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^people claim it shift really good until around 60k miles then the tranny kinda loose that sharp shifting, in my TL currently has 66k miles when the car shifting from 3rd to 4th near red line the trany felt like "slamming gear" equivalent of MT car rev up high RPM then dump the clutch. I don't like it at all, now I just have to wait for two more ATF change then I will get to the dam switches.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Any chance you can explain further the 3-4 shutter and what exactly it feels like? I would also like to hear about the other subtle and strange shifting characteristics you speak of. And lastly, changing out these pressure switches made a noticeable difference? I have not researched the switches yet so is it pretty easy to do and not too expensive? Thanks for any additional info.

James
No problem. This is just my experience, and others have had different and more severe symptoms, including transmission failure. Advance search the 3G TL "problems and fixes" section for shudder, switches, transmission, etc.

Mine would feel like it would "bounce" or "pulse" (like a rubber band) several times quickly for a couple seconds before shifting into 4th--like it was trying to decide whether to engage or not. I also experienced some long shifts, where it would seem to slide into gear for too long.

After Anil helped me change the switches, all shifts became quick, positive, with no bouncing or hunting. Of course we did an ATF change at the same time.

Check out this informative switch thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721508

And this transmission switch DIY: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/

In buying / changing switches, make sure you distinguish between base and Type S models--the number of switches and the install locations are completely different because they have different transmissions. The switches are not expensive, about $60-$70 each as I recall, so it's cheap insurance. Hats off to "I Hate Cars" for sharing his expertise, I'm just pointing you to the info developed and shared by him and other long-time Acuraziners.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming you have a base TL, they're really pretty easy because of the reasonably accessible locations on the front and side of the transmission. The base has just two pressure switches to replace. Jack the car, remove the splash cover, unhook the wiring connector from the switches, then use a deep socket to unscrew each switch from the transmission housing. Just be careful not to cross thread the replacement switches upon replacing them, and ensure you place the 3rd and 4th gear switches in the correct locations (the transmission housing is marked with the gear #). This makes it easy: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721508

The Type S is a bit of a pain because the switch locations are tougher to get to, and there are 3 switches.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the improved shifting.
Thank you very much for the help, i look forward to the smoother shifting! Will also sleep better knowing it wont destroy my transmission because I did replace them!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
TLicious Type S

The 04-06 trans. were more prone to it. The pressure switches help to prevent failure.

Supposedly... the 07-08 had a better trans. and was less prone to problems, however, I would still change the press. switches and fluid often.
Correct, the '07-'08 Type S had the RL transmission with the larger 3.5L engine. It is a stronger, 3-shaft design. But I also agree that changing the switches on this transmission is a very good idea.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

so Danny you also having trouble when the car shifting into 4th gear, my also having that problem but near red line. I still wonder why that magical 4th gear.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by truonghthe
so Danny you also having trouble when the car shifting into 4th gear, my also having that problem but near red line. I still wonder why that magical 4th gear.
I would really suggest you consider replacing the pressure switches. You could easily have a malfunctioning 4th gear switch that could be the cause your shifting problems. They're only $60-$70 parts, and not hard to replace on the base TL.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're asking me, I bought my Type S at 83K, now have a little over 85K.

The paint on mine is actually quite excellent, maybe because of a couple advantages: First the previous owner really cared for the car and had it professionally detailed. Second, he installed a "clear bra" over the front bumper--so the paint, while a bit worn in spots where stuff really hit it at speed, is quite good. Other than that there are always some chips that have to be touched up.

You might try claybar, then mirror glaze to clean and polish and renew the finish--or take it to a professional. Good luck!
Where in kc did you buy your car? And how much? Curious cause I live in op and looking to get one soon. Heck I may of even looked at yours if it was at a dealership. Oh also what resource did you do to find it? Cars.com, autotrader, Craigslist? Thanks buddy. Hope to meet all the kc guys soon at kc trends or the meet in June.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
can some 6MT TL-S owners chime in also?

My 'revised' plan is to keep my 08 TL-s 6MT until she hits approx 125000 miles.

Currently at 50000miles and problem free.

What are best ways to maintain the clutch? the 3rd gear grind is almost impossible to prevent from happening .. on occasion. however, my 3rd gear does not pop out like some have reported.

Aside from the timing belt which wont be due for quite some time for me, i want to know if a worn-out clutch can be expected as part of my maintenance cycle till my target range of 125000miles.

thanks all!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kfishy76
Where in kc did you buy your car? And how much? Curious cause I live in op and looking to get one soon. Heck I may of even looked at yours if it was at a dealership. Oh also what resource did you do to find it? Cars.com, autotrader, Craigslist? Thanks buddy. Hope to meet all the kc guys soon at kc trends or the meet in June.

Kurt, Dan bought his Type S from an individual.
Kfishy76 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by Kfishy76
Hi Kurt, looking forward to meeting you in KC.

I purchased my Type S from an individual after seeing his ad on Craigslist. I've bought about a dozen used cars over the years, so I've learned what works and doesn't work for me (especially what not to do!). Here's what I look for:

1. One owner car - Adult owned. The guy I purchased my car from was a professional guy who was upgrading to a 335i. Not the sort that beats a car.

2. Maintained with records - The car had all it's regular maintenance done at Acura, so it was easy to ask for the records to ensure it was cared for.

3. No accidents - This can sometimes be a bit tougher to track--especially with cars that have been brokered (another reason to go for one-owner cars). It's worth checking Carfax and Autocheck, but then giving the body (especially door jams, seams, etc.) a thorough inspection in good light to look for body work. I avoid cars at small independent car dealers (I'm not saying they're all bad), but many deal exclusively in auctioned cars with dubious pedigrees.

4. Privately sold - I have consistently found I can save thousands from what dealers require for their used cars. And trading in is even more of a losing proposition. Dealers work full time to maximize their profit at every turn--and some of them will skin you alive if you let them. I've found I'm allergic to car salesmen! And most regular Joe's selling their car won't lie to your face.

5. Inspected professionally - Paying a mechanic who is very familiar with the particular car is well worth it. Having mine inspected at Acura cost me $50, and saved me $1000 on the final price negotiation due to some things found in the inspection.

6. Purchased unemotionally - Like everyone, I get excited about buying a new (used) car. But now I try to stay objective, not emotionally attached as I decide. I now try to look for problems that might disqualify the car (like the absence of the above list) and walk away if there are problems. I took my time to look at about a dozen TLs before I settled on this one. It wasn't perfect--but I knew exactly what needed attention, and how much it would cost.

Hope these thoughts help bro! Good luck with your search. PM me with what you're looking for, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. They're out there, you just have to be patient. Cheers!
ACE32TL (04-26-2013)

Quick Reply: New TL-S Owner -- 4 Month Impressions