New Tires Restore Confidence

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004 | 08:05 PM
Racer

New Tires Restore Confidence

I have a trial set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires for the TL while Bridgestone develops new tires. I had an excellent conversation with Acura engineering who came with me on a test drive and explained some of the potential issues with current perfomance tires including flat-spotting and the force on the sidewall and the potential to cause oscillation (vibration) through the chassis. The person I dealt with deals with post-production issues and new generation engineering development. Great service.

When Bridgestone was selected to produce the tire for the TL, it was based on absolute cornering and handling characteristics. As with anything, there is a trade-off. My set of tires exhibited vibration as a result of flat-spotting based on my driving patterns almost all the time. The new evaluation set of Bridgestone Blizzak's are pretty good snow tires. Not quite the handling attributes of the old tires, but great in snow and no vibrations so far.

I talked about a number of things with engineering including the unusual 1-2 auto feature in SS mode. I suggested that a driver selected option could work here (i.e. being able to hold 1st as long as other gears) and I was advised that may be possible in the future given the other options available to the driver currently. I also gave my feedback on the shift points in absolute auto mode and the tall 5th gear noting that it lugged at about 85 km/h.

All in all, a great lunch and excellent service. They are dealing with the tire issue for those that have it. No worries.
Old 01-17-2004 | 09:12 AM
Banned

Peters,

thanks for the update. Too bad they did not do the proper evaluation of the tire in the first place. As for cornering and grip, there are a lot of better tires than the EL-42, so I am confused on this.
Old 01-17-2004 | 10:07 AM
Racer

EL42s

Well, the original EL42 tires that were designed for the car may not be available widely on a retail basis. I think EL42 simply denotes OEM. Both Acura Service and Engingeering recommended I not replace the tires with another brand. I did talk to engineering about the Michlen Pilot A/S tires so they may try a set out. The person I dealt with deals with post-production cars and issues in Canada from all North American production.
Old 01-17-2004 | 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Re: New Tires Restore Confidence

Originally posted by Peters
They are dealing with the tire issue for those that have it. No worries.
Well their communication back to Client Services and the service managers has been pathetic.

They had better make good (read: I spent $$$ on new tires, cut me a check for that amount) with those of us who were stuffed and stonewalled as a result of their silence, and who pursued other courses of resolution (at our own expense) once we had exhausted the resources that Acura (Acura Client Services) and our dealers (our service departments and district managers) made available to us.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:01 AM
Banned

Thanks Peters, I did speak to my regional on Friday, he said that Acura Corp has put a stop to ALL replacement of the EL-42's with the pilot sports. But I have heard that before.

EL -42 relates to the tread pattern, if you look at any other EL-42 tire it as the same visible tread pattern (but belt design differs as previously posted, some use rayon vs polyester)
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:30 AM
Instructor

Acura may be circling the wagons. Fundamental decision to make quickly: fix it or deny it. I'll be interested to see if this post survives; I've posted others with phrase "class action"...so I'll see if this one posts. As before, a disclaimer: I'm not advocating anything, just pulsing for your thoughts. We all know Acura dropped the ball and we're left at the mercy of our local dealer's pain threshhold?
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Peters..."New Tires Restore Confidence"

The whole issue is very confusing since all current and future owners are getting different feedback. I am not sure how real is the info you are getting since my " corporate" sources deny of any problems and dealer source ( service ) are advising me that Acura has 2 major problems...tires and will not tell me what the other is.
I was told in confidence that Acura is scrambling really hard to fix!
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:58 AM
Racer

How real?

Well, I have new trial snow tires on now (Blizzaks) and they have my original rims and tires. They are going to advise me when the new ones are ready. So if its unreal information, its a helluva dream.
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:59 AM
Team Owner

I don't doubt your experience. We're just jealous because you're getting customer service and many of us got the shaft.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004 | 12:05 PM
Racer

They may examine my tires to see how they might deal with the problem. Engineering has a Hunter balancing system and they are constantly testing cars. I suppose I am a good test case given that I park underground during the day, outside during the night, drive during mid-day occassionally and drive at highway speeds frequently. If a driver is going to experience vibration and oscillation problems, its me.

I've also been a very loyal Acura/Honda customer - since 1985. To be clear, I do have to give these tires back and they are used.
Old 01-17-2004 | 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally posted by frqwntbyr
Acura may be circling the wagons. Fundamental decision to make quickly: fix it or deny it. I'll be interested to see if this post survives; I've posted others with phrase "class action"...so I'll see if this one posts. As before, a disclaimer: I'm not advocating anything, just pulsing for your thoughts. We all know Acura dropped the ball and we're left at the mercy of our local dealer's pain threshhold?
There are a number of others who have been advised by Acura, even prior to me, that they will replace the tires with new ones, allbeit Bridgestones. So I don't believe they are "denying" the problem. Depending on driving habits and weather conditions, some people may not experience the sensation others are. I can only relate to my experience.
Old 01-17-2004 | 12:27 PM
Intermediate

"How real?
Well, I have new trial snow tires on now (Blizzaks) and they have my original rims and tires. They are going to advise me when the new ones are ready. So if its unreal information, its a helluva dream."

I am not challenging what you are saying but are they addressing Honda's problem or Peter's problem ? I have been driving Hondas since 1975 and have purchased 4 in last 2 yrs.....also, I have been advised to purchase the Accord unless I am willing to wait till summer...so as you can see Honda is not on the same page with all customers
Old 01-17-2004 | 08:40 PM
LGG
Advanced

So, if these EL42 are really better than other EL42 since they are somehow specific to the TL, and if these EL42s are really so much better for the TL than other tires and have better cornering/handling, etc., how are we going to buy them when it comes time to replace them? All I see out there is EL42s. No EL42s for Acura TL. (Maybe they'll show up later, but I'm sceptical.)

I'm betting they were "special" for the TL because BS (perfect, huh?) met some price point.

I'd sure like to hear some non-marketing info from Acura on this.
Old 01-17-2004 | 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

In my mind I have no interest in taking turns as if I was driving a C5 or something like that. I'd be happy with a tire that has a slightly taller side wall if it means no vibration.

I HATE VIBRATION. My wifes RSX costs 10k less than my TL and it doesn't vibrate, a guy at Acura had the balls to tell me "some" vibration from the tires is normal. My reponse "do I have stupid on my forhead?" cars like this should be outright smooth as glass, road vibration is different from tire/drivetrain vibration.

Acura has an oppourtunaty to get a long term customer or to lose one.
Old 01-17-2004 | 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by webster
Peters..."New Tires Restore Confidence"

.................. my " corporate" sources deny of any problems and dealer source ( service ) are advising me that Acura has 2 major problems...tires and will not tell me what the other is.
I was told in confidence that Acura is scrambling really hard to fix!
The second problem is the vibration at 1500rpms at 50-60mph.

I have heard two things -

1. It is because of the new exhaust manifolds cast into the engine, and for some unknown reason, the vibration is transmitted through the entire exhaust, causeing both the noise and vibration

2. It is the lock up converer locking too early and causing the vibration and noise.

From what I have heard, they will fix future production, but not current as they are considering this nomral (until they change it in future production).

If you check the MDX site, they are having a similar problem.

This may be what your sources at the dealer are telling you!