New Owner Looking for Information

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 06:48 PM
Intermediate

New Owner Looking for Information

Hey Guys....

Im a new member who decided to trade in my beloved silver 03 WRX on an 04 silver TL Navi auto , pick up the Tl tomorrow. I have a sinking feeling that Im gonna miss the REX since its been nothing but a pleasure to drive just a little short on amenities.

I have a couple of questions about some of the things Ive been reading on here.

1. Is it just me or does it seem like to 04 TL has some issues? Crappy tires, squeaks and rattles, vibration and others. My experience one other web boards is that you only hear from the people who have issues and that the majority are silent and happy. For example it was widely reported that the WRX had a glass transmission...in the 50K I had mine I never had a problem or concern with the tranny or any other part of the car and I drove it very hard but with care. The people who had transmission problems were for the most part driving the crap outta their car and doing 6k clutch drops regularly. So is there a silent majority out there that is happy with their TL'S?

2. How have people liked the handling of the car in the snow? Im having the Blizzak LM 22's installed and am hoping for good things as far as traction and control in the snow we often get here in Ontario.

3. Anyone raced a WRX from a stop yet? Id expect the TL to get spanked from a standing start up to 60-70 mph after which the TL would blow it away Im quite sure. Im hoping the performance is pretty close to the WRX and think it will be based on my seat of the pants edxperiences.

And yes I know the WRX and TL are in entirely different leagues but they are both sedans with sporting intentions and I cant wait to seen how the TL performs after its properly broken in.

WOOHOO!!!

Ajax
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:22 PM
pjp
Cruisin'

Comparing your WRX to the TL is like comparing the WRX to a high performance gocart. If you want all out handling and acceleration then the go cart is the choice. If you want to get out of the rain but with lesser performance, the WRX is the choice. If you want style, confort and luxury but with somewhat less performance, the TL is for you. Life is full of tradeoffs. If you have gotten past the boy/girl racer phase then the TL could be a fit.

If you are looking for the best all around car for about $35 to 37K out the door then you have to choose the TL. My final choices came down to an Infinity G35 or Lexus ES330. The most important items that swayed me were;

1. The G35 was smaller and definitely has brake problem. $600 brake jobs are commonly required between 10 and 20K miles. This car has great breaking power but at a cost. The interior of the G35 looked more like a 20 year old toyota with leather seats (simply sub par).
2. The Lexus had a slightly better looking interior than the TL but car looks like a million other Camrys. To match the equipment level of the TL the Lexus would cost about 2K more. The Lexus also did not handle or accellerate as well as the G35 or TL.

But if you are looking for a single purpose (race) car like the WRX for $35K then the TL is probably not the right choice. You would be better off buying a Mustang with some go fast options. You can then have the fastest Pinto on the block.

I have had my TL for 1200 miles and have not had any problems and am completely happy with it. Yes, the leather has but prints in it but it isnt an issue. My previous car was a 300M. I never had but prints in the leather because the leather was very hard and uninviting. The TL beats the 300M in all categories except rear seat room and trunk space. I like the TL styling but have to confess it still looks like a civic on steroids. This makes it a little hard for the layman to pick it out of a crowd.
Old 12-16-2003 | 08:33 PM
Instructor

Ajax:

Are you dealing with Acura East? If so, when did you order your car?
Old 12-16-2003 | 08:52 PM
Intermediate

pjp...I had a 300M before the WRX and it was a very large car all around. Not nearly as refined as the TL in 2000 let alone the 04 TL. I actually found the WRX was not at all a single purpose car, it was a 4 door, great seats, comfy and the trunk is almost the same size as that on the TL. As far as the looks of the 04 TL are concerned...I love it inside and outside and just hope Ill be satisfied with the performance. The numbers Ive seen for 0-60 and 1/4 mile are for the 6 speed and look good at 5.7 and 14.4@ 99 mph...how much different will the auto be?

Oldguy...Im not dealing with Acura East and I got the car as a result of a deal gone bad. Dealer wanted to sell if before Christmas and after the test drive I knew I had to have one.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:46 PM
Racer

If you like your REX, you will enjoy the TL. It is clear that you are now ready the prestige and comfort that the WRX cannot provide, and the TL is DEFINITELY the best choice! Congratulations.

Mine has been absolutely perfect for 600 miles so far, and only gets better each day!
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Re: New Owner Looking for Information

Originally posted by AJAX
... 1. Is it just me or does it seem like to 04 TL has some issues? Crappy tires, squeaks and rattles, vibration and others. My experience one other web boards is that you only hear from the people who have issues and that the majority are silent and happy. For example it was widely reported that the WRX had a glass transmission...in the 50K I had mine I never had a problem or concern with the tranny or any other part of the car and I drove it very hard but with care. The people who had transmission problems were for the most part driving the crap outta their car and doing 6k clutch drops regularly. So is there a silent majority out there that is happy with their TL'S?

2. How have people liked the handling of the car in the snow? Im having the Blizzak LM 22's installed and am hoping for good things as far as traction and control in the snow we often get here in Ontario.

3. Anyone raced a WRX from a stop yet? Id expect the TL to get spanked from a standing start up to 60-70 mph after which the TL would blow it away Im quite sure. Im hoping the performance is pretty close to the WRX and think it will be based on my seat of the pants edxperiences.
1. I am quite happy with my new TL. I haven't had any problems with mine (knock on wood) and I tend to be very critical.

2. I was going to opt for the LM22's but their price, H speed rating and soft wear (in the 235/45/17 fitment) had me thinking about alternatives. I eventually chose Toyo Snowprox S950's. I wrote a thread on it... do a search, it might help you out.

3. I haven't played with a REX yet but am sure the only chance I will have is third gear and up.

Congrats on your new vehicle... I'll be in the 'jax around Xmas, drive around Humphrey and you'll see my ride. Cheers!

edit: Toyo review from me! Clicky.
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:11 PM
Instructor

AJAX,

I have a Silver '04 TL Auto-nonNAV. I have already 2k miles and it is a blast to drive and freakishly fast (my old car was a 1990 Accord EX-manual 4dr).

My younger brother has a '02 WRX Wagon-manual. Drove it yesterday (we switched yesterday). I guess, I miss driving a manual. Other than all-wheel drive and manual transmission, I miss my TL right away. My TL just feels better.

I'm thinking about going at it with him. He'll definitely will win from dead stop, but I have a good feeling that I would catch up to him. He even say that my car felt faster than his.
Old 12-17-2003 | 09:39 PM
Banned

Hello, and welcome.

Enjoy your new TL as it is a great car. It does have some problems, but none that will make you regret the purchase.
Old 12-23-2003 | 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Well Im happy to report that The REX is now past history and that I am exceedingly happy with the new TL. It has surpassed my expectations as far as performance and handling are concerned and it has all the comforts the REX would never have had. The things I like most so far:

1. smooth willing engine and transmission
2. very quiet on the highway
3. stereo kicks butt
4. Nav works much better and easier than I thought it would.
5. Very comfy seats
6. excellent gas mileage

The LM 22's are definately a good performance snow tire too...highly recommended.

Happy Holidays to All!!

Ajax
Old 12-24-2003 | 12:37 PM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by pjp
You would be better off buying a Mustang with some go fast options. You can then have the fastest Pinto on the block.

Ouch! I have had Mustangs all my life and I would never compare any of them to a Pinto. Granted, my GTs and Cobras never had the nice features that the new TL has, but Pinto is a low blow.

The only Mustang I ever had a serious problem with was a 97 GT that had electrical problems after it was submerged to the middle of the doors in a flood.

I will soon be among the ranks of you TL owners (April), but I would never disrespect a Mustang by comparing it to a Pinto.
Old 12-24-2003 | 06:04 PM
Banned

Talking

No the mustang is not a Pinto it is actually built on a Fairmont platform! Yes that basic chassis layout dates from the mid 70's. It was a piece of **** then so you can imagine it now!!!
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:22 AM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by vtechbrain
No the mustang is not a Pinto it is actually built on a Fairmont platform! Yes that basic chassis layout dates from the mid 70's. It was a piece of **** then so you can imagine it now!!!
Technically, you are correct, the FOX chassis used in Mustangs since 1979 is a shortened version of what was used for the Fairmont in 1978. The current version is the SN-95 (nicknamed the Fox 4).

What are you getting at? That my 2001 GT is really a '78 Fairmont in wolf's clothing?

Ford has been tweaking that chassis for the past 25 years and I think they did a great job with the 99-04 Mustang ride and handling.

Yes, the new 05 will be based on the LS chassis. Using your reasoning, the new Mustang will be on the same par as a Jaguar S-Type.

...and using your reasoning the TL is just an Accord.
Old 12-28-2003 | 02:41 PM
Banned

Did someone mention a Rustang:yack:

Old 12-28-2003 | 05:09 PM
Rum Runner

Not a whole lot of Mustang lovers in here, huh?

Oh well, I guess I'll be the only one carrying the pony banner.

I'm sure I will love the TL as soon as I get it, but I will always have a soft spot for Mustangs.
Old 12-28-2003 | 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Majorhouse
Technically, you are correct, the FOX chassis used in Mustangs since 1979 is a shortened version of what was used for the Fairmont in 1978. The current version is the SN-95 (nicknamed the Fox 4).

What are you getting at? That my 2001 GT is really a '78 Fairmont in wolf's clothing?

Ford has been tweaking that chassis for the past 25 years and I think they did a great job with the 99-04 Mustang ride and handling.

Yes, the new 05 will be based on the LS chassis. Using your reasoning, the new Mustang will be on the same par as a Jaguar S-Type.

...and using your reasoning the TL is just an Accord.
Just giving mustang owner crap!! Yes the TL is an accord but a review of the late fairmont stated that they understood that the speed limit was 55 but they didn't expect the car to fall apart after that!!!! Just think this out: since 1976 the accord has undergone 5 different chassis (unit body). The stang has ridden on a variation of the same junk since then!!!! Any questions of why ford sells cars mostly to its rental fleets or to people with a highschool education????
Old 12-29-2003 | 01:53 PM
Rum Runner

The similarities from the original Fox chassis to the SN-95 are almost non-existent. However, I'm not gonna put my hand in the fire to vouch for Ford's commitment to excellence (or lack thereof).

In reality, I'm surprised they haven't screwed up the Mustang, although I don't think Mustang lovers would ever let Ford do that again (Mustang II was a blasphemy).

I just wish people would show a little more respect for one of the few remaining pony cars.

:bowdown:

Who knows, after I get my TL, maybe I'll pick up an old 'Stang for the weekends!
Old 12-29-2003 | 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Majorhouse
Not a whole lot of Mustang lovers in here, huh?

How perceptive you are:lol2:

I own a Vette, so we are natural born enemies:ar15: :bigun2:

That said, I like most old American muscle/sports cars, so I don't totally hate Mustangs (just don't tell my fellow Vette buddies )
Old 12-29-2003 | 03:30 PM
Rum Runner

No problem, Z. Besides, us 'Cane fans need to watch each others backs.

GO CANES!!!