3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Acura and to this forum board.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New to Acura and to this forum board.....

Hello guys and gals. I'm Robert.
I recently decided to purchase an Acura TL.
I haven't yet though.

Here's my story....
My first car (during the end of high school) was a brand new 2001 Honda Civic. I loved the engineering and reliability, even though it was pretty much the cheapest vehicle made by the company. Anyway, I tried turning the car into a "ricer" racer with some minor aesthetics and nothing really for horsepower. I was young and dumb basically. So after about a year and a half, I totaled the Civic driving between 105-120 m.p.h. into 4 or 5 trees, fractured my neck and eye socket, gashed my forehead, and barely missed killing myself.

....wellllll, after that I decided no more speed (or wanna be speed) for me.

I bought a 2000 Ford F-150 with the intent of raising it with lifted suspension. That didn't work out due to buying a two-wheel drive and getting criticized for the idea. So I ended up in the middle, not lifted or lowered. For a while I had very expensive spinning 22" rims (back when that was actually something nice). I grew bored with the plain look and went into the Sport Truck world. The amount of customization grew and my pockets shrunk.
Here's a picture just for some general thought:

Anyway, I was rear-ended recently and the truck was considered a 'total loss'. So now I don't have a vehicle and am in the market.

My concerns now are more for safety and reliability than for drastic modification. Basically I feel as if I've purchased cheap vehicles before and then spent pooploads of money to enhance them, rather than just spending the money in the beginning to have an already suitable vehicle.

I was stuck on buying a Lexus IS300, but have realized they are very small cars. I liked Lexus for the Japanese motor, which I find very reliable. Honda/Acura also fit in the same category to me. I'm trying to stay away from BMW, Infinity, Mercedes, and Jaguar due to the complications of DIY repairs.

So, I made my way through a pre-owned import car lot and found the TL, 3rd gen. I fell in love. I'm planning to buy a 2005 or 2006 non-Type-S, within the next 2 weeks. I want the navigation setup and Black exterior with Black interior. So far, I've priced a few between 20,995 to 24,995 with under 50,000 miles. That seems a bit pricey but I think I can manage low 20,000s.

I'm looking for any input on the car, pricing, options that I should want or not want, ect. Of course, I do expect to hear praise for the car since I am on a website dedicated to the maker.

I'll be posting pictures when I get the car. As you may have inferred, I'm very into modifiying vehicles and have a modest but respectful amount of knowledge on doing so. I like (friendly) criticism and suggestion and I will relay my own back to others as well. I believe my first modification will be type-S taillights because from what i can tell, they match the license plate housing carbon fiber-like design (which was actually one deciding factor in my decision for the TL over the TSX). After that, I'll show you people what massive bass looks like . Hah, just playing. But I will be transplanting my truck's system into this car somehow.

Anyway, a lot of things on my mind, but once again, hello!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFAIK, no Type S models were available from 2004-2006. My suggestion would be for a 6MT TL if you can afford it/find one. Option-wise, you are limited to navigation. Otherwise, the cars come well-appointed.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
06+ TL if you want a more reliable auto (they have a significantly lower failure rate). I drive a CLS and love it to death
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Welcome, I am still kind of new here also as I recently purchased my TL. Just FYI if you like modding you are still going to want to spend money on this car I have already bought a ton of stuff lol
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome Rob Ril. You found the best Acura forum. I have owned a new silver 2006 TL nav with an automatic, and a silver(ASM) 2007 TL Type-S automatic, which I tradded in on a new black(NBP) 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan in Aug 07. Since then I have had a blast driving the Si with its manual and high reving engine. But I have been missing all the GREAT things the TL has to offer. I figured if I could find the exact used Certified TL at a dealer I would buy it. 2 weeks ago I went to a local dealer to find the perfect used TL for me. It had everything I wanted except the interior color. A 2006 White Diamond Pearl TL with all options, Nav, and a MANUAL!!! Also in great condition, rear spoiler, certified with a great Acura warranty and only 28,500 miles. I am now very happy with the camel interior, it looks very elegant and will be very cool in the summer, plus since I smoke the ashes don't show up all over the black interior. I got the car for $25k, which isn't cheap, but its exactly what I was looking for. I LOVE IT. 5 days after buying the car I ordered the A-Spec body kit. On Dec 24th I took it to the same dealer to have the body kit put on. 4 hours later they call me and say-"We are sorry, but we drilled the holes in the rear bumper in the wrong place, we will have to replace the rear bumper". I didn't get mad, I just asked how long for the part to come in? The already had the part, they just need to paint it. I asked-"Isn't it hard to match WDP" ? They replied-YES IT IS. Now that worried me, but nothing I can do but pray they do a great job!

Good luck and I suggest finding a manual 2006 TL with Nav. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy your stay at the best Acura Forum on Our Planet Earth !!! Jeff D.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! You should not be disappointed with the TL. I'm glad you made it out well from that accident you described. One of life's lessons, I suppose... lol
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
Welcome! You should not be disappointed with the TL. I'm glad you made it out well from that accident you described. One of life's lessons, I suppose... lol
ditto.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM
W_L
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too. I'm still looking for a TL.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As mentioned above, the only option really is navigation or no navigation. If you can find one with nav, I definatly recomend it. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass later down the road for not doing so.

While many of us do modify our cars on this board, I think you'll find that if you ask anyone, they'll agree that even stock, it was superior to many cars, which is why I think we bought it in the first place. I think you're making a good decision in buying a higher level car instead of a lower level one and modifying it.

As for the accesories, you will find some out there with Acura OEM accesories of various types already installed. These can all be purchased from OEM parts dealer for chearper than the dealership. Some accesories that you'll see alot of guys on here get are all weather floor mats, splash guards, window vent visors, side body molding, front\side\rear underbody spoiler (aka. A-Spec lip kit).

Welcome to the boards and we hope to have you on here as a TL owner soon!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
im sure other ppl can better comment on this, but i believe you want to stay with the 06+ models as the 3rd gear issue has been fixed. navigation is really handy so you should get that and stay with the dark interior - i have taupe interior and it gets/looks dirty pretty easily so if you dont want to keep cleaning it go with the ebony interior

good luck on your purchase and welcome to the forusm
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura are great !! welcome !!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Hey man welcome!

Quite a saga about your car experiences, but everybody learns some life lessons, just in different ways. I'm glad nothing else happened to you in that accident!

Well I'm no experienced driver, but I have had 2 Acuras myself and there have been 3 between my parents in the last 10 years, and we have a hard time staying away from them. My first car was a 01 CL-S that I loved to death, and the miles were getting too high for my liking, so i got a White Diamond Pearl 2004 TL. Many people mention the problems with the pre-06 model TL's, but I have yet to have a problem whatsoever. I didn't man up and get a 6-speed, but I'll live, and I do not have navi, but overall, its a great car, no matter if you put 20k into it or keep it bone stock. I would suggest keep on looking around, because you never know what you could stumble upon. Being that it's the end of the year, the dealerships are trying to get rid of as many cars as they can, and you may be able to get a great deal. This is just my , but try to find an Acura Certified used TL. It's no big deal, but god forbid that the car you buy has some serious problems down the road, it would be nice to have Acura people fixing an Acura car.

But anyways man, good luck, and I promise you aren't making a mistake by looking at a TL
Old 12-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! Glad you survived the speeding accident. That normally will cure you of all high speed driving. The TL is a great blend of sporty looks and technology. It's chalked full if great comforts to spoil you. Navi is a must, as mentioned ealier. This car is by far the most bang for the buck. Good luck in your search and welcome to AZ
Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Pro

welcome and good luck finding a car. I bought a base 05 TL with 25k in oct. Its just a base model and i'm in love with this car!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Unregistered User

Whoa, a lot more replies than I was expecting. Thanks a lot for all the input. I can tell this is going to be a VERY useful forum.

I wasn't aware of the transmission or 3rd gear issue with pre-2006 auto TLs. I guess that gives me more reason to go with the 06 instead of 05.
As for auto or manual, I'm definitely going with auto. I had manual, and have had a LOT of fun with manual, but I'm looking for relaxation. I drive through a lot of traffic daily so I'm not missing out on clutching. If I had the money to get the Type-S (which I'm not sure if it only comes in manual or not), I'd get the manual. But like I said, I'm trying to get out of that little playful phase in life where you have the addiction of passing other cars fractions from redline and then slamming into the next gear. Hell of a rush, yes, but I'm just looking for comfort with potential power, if I feel I need to use it.

On the ext./int. color, I definitely want black (or ebony) interior. I do NOT like the khaki scheme. Maybe if the car was candy blue or something.
I like the white exterior but I love the black exterior. Both my Civic and F-150 happened to be silver, and not really by choice, just that that was the color on them.

On the navigation side, I won't buy a TL without it. I was planning on installing my own aftermarket Pioneer nav, bluetooth, dvd, ect, ect, ect. system when I thought I was buying the IS300. No offense to non-nav TL owners, but I think the center dash looks silly with the climate control; the nav system fills in the void space perfectly.
I have to pull it out when I buy the car to see if I can rig up some kind of video output signal to a few monitors (plan to just put them in all of the headrests). I'm not sure, but it looks like I might have to buy a Pioneer double din anyway, just without the blue-tooth and nav, if I can't tap into the factory nav. Hah, I'll be in the electronics section of the forums more than anything.

Well thanks again to all of your replies. I'll use the advice and look for a 06 model instead of the 05. Oh yea, can someone elaborate more on what transmission issues or 3rd gear issues are the concern?? Like,...is the worry worth spending a few thousand extra on the 06?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob RiL
Whoa, a lot more replies than I was expecting. Thanks a lot for all the input. I can tell this is going to be a VERY useful forum.

I wasn't aware of the transmission or 3rd gear issue with pre-2006 auto TLs. I guess that gives me more reason to go with the 06 instead of 05.
As for auto or manual, I'm definitely going with auto. I had manual, and have had a LOT of fun with manual, but I'm looking for relaxation. I drive through a lot of traffic daily so I'm not missing out on clutching. If I had the money to get the Type-S (which I'm not sure if it only comes in manual or not), I'd get the manual. But like I said, I'm trying to get out of that little playful phase in life where you have the addiction of passing other cars fractions from redline and then slamming into the next gear. Hell of a rush, yes, but I'm just looking for comfort with potential power, if I feel I need to use it.

On the ext./int. color, I definitely want black (or ebony) interior. I do NOT like the khaki scheme. Maybe if the car was candy blue or something.
I like the white exterior but I love the black exterior. Both my Civic and F-150 happened to be silver, and not really by choice, just that that was the color on them.

On the navigation side, I won't buy a TL without it. I was planning on installing my own aftermarket Pioneer nav, bluetooth, dvd, ect, ect, ect. system when I thought I was buying the IS300. No offense to non-nav TL owners, but I think the center dash looks silly with the climate control; the nav system fills in the void space perfectly.
I have to pull it out when I buy the car to see if I can rig up some kind of video output signal to a few monitors (plan to just put them in all of the headrests). I'm not sure, but it looks like I might have to buy a Pioneer double din anyway, just without the blue-tooth and nav, if I can't tap into the factory nav. Hah, I'll be in the electronics section of the forums more than anything.

Well thanks again to all of your replies. I'll use the advice and look for a 06 model instead of the 05. Oh yea, can someone elaborate more on what transmission issues or 3rd gear issues are the concern?? Like,...is the worry worth spending a few thousand extra on the 06?

Thanks!
Thats because they dont really have one. Been racing my 2005 TL since I got it brand new....not one issue. And you can see all I am tossing at it below. Of couse rate of failure is going to be greater comparing 2005 to 2006 or 2007....they have been on the road 12 to 24 months longer and have greater history collected. I havent had ONE issue with my auto trans and I am supercharged.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Welcome,

You will find Azine a great source for anything Acura, especially for the TL. It helped me alot when I bought my TL eariler this year. I don't have a single regret with my TL. I have to agree with my fellow members, if you can, definately get a TL with the navigation.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I wasn't aware of the transmission or 3rd gear issue with pre-2006 auto TLs.
There isn't any issue with the TL auto transmissions from mid-2004 onwards (the early 2004s had a recall to install an oil jet, IIRC).

The 3d gear issue is with the manual transmissions-- some owners have had issues with the transmission popping out of gear or not shifting well in 3d gear-- which was alleviated by switching to either a GM transmission fluid or different trans fluid formulation.

The '06 has a tire pressure monitoring system which the '05 does not have.

Welcome to AZ and G/L on your search!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by Will Y.
There isn't any issue with the TL auto transmissions from mid-2004 onwards.........
The 3d gear issue is with the manual transmissions
That makes a whole lot more sense! I've been questioning how just 3rd gear in the auto was having any trouble. Well I'm okay then, because I'm 100% determined to buy automatic. If I was going to race, I'd get the standard.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
The '06 has a tire pressure monitoring system which the '05 does not have.
That makes me want the 05 more. Every car with sensors I've seen get new tires (hundreds in my job so far) have some kind of problem. Most of the time it's a frequency and rotation issue, but also bad valve stem holders (there are diff. ones for diff. cars) and faulty sensors. Could just remove them from an 06 if I wouldn't mind the display showing inaccuracies where ever it is located.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
You will be fine with the factory nav and after market stuff hooked up to it. people have done it before. Do some searches and check the FAQ in the 3G audio section.