Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbor Swiped My TL **Rant**

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
All the world's a stage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neighbor Swiped My TL **Rant**

Keeping the story short, my neighbor swiped my passenger side rear fender as she backed out of her parking spot. To make things worse, she actually damaged part of my rear rim as well - I have Sevas wheels and that fuckin' company takes forever to get their rims.

Anyways, I do have a question. Her insurance company has already contacted me and got my info. The rep asked if I had contacted my insurance company, which I did not. She said, "That's fine, we can take care of everything for you then." This is the first time dealing with a situation like this so is it better that I just follow what the rep said or should I contact my insurance company to let them know about the accident? Really, it might be a stupid question but I'm just looking for some advice.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand, my insurance compnay told me that any time that I get in an accident regardless if it's my fault or not, that I needed to report to them.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Just drive...

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
I would inform your insurance company that it happened; however, don't file any kind of claim with your insurance company because her company is going to pay for it.

As long as her insurance company is paying, you won't have any issues with your company as far as your rates going up or points against you on your record.

Sorry it happened btw, but at least it's going to get fixed and you don't have to pay for it! It sucks when people hit you, and run off with their tail between their legs leaving you to live with the damage or pay for the fix!!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:58 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As stated above, let them know it happened, but since you are at no way financially responsible for the damage to your car or her the entire expense will be paid by the other persons insurance.

When someone backed into my car I called their insurance and not mine.. I was asked the same thing, did I contact my insurance, and told them no, and i'm not going to since my friggin car was parked.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Sevas rims mannnnn

Oh and yeah inform your insurance company, but don't file a claim.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Westwood area huh, seems to be a shitty place for a TL these couple of days
Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM
7th Gear

I would not tell you insurance company. The less they know the better. Plus if her insurance company will take care of everthing on her side only and fix your car. Then I would just leave it at that and call it a day.** two cents
Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call your insurance and tell them exactly what happend.. They won't file a claim for you anyway. But they will protect you if other party doesn't cover. Your insurance tried to work harder to push other insurance to make sure l you get pay. You are a win win situation, why not telling your insurance when not your fault?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by IndyTLhere
I would not tell you insurance company. The less they know the better. Plus if her insurance company will take care of everthing on her side only and fix your car. Then I would just leave it at that and call it a day.** two cents
Tell your insurance company. They will know anyway because the 2 companies will settle it between themselves. It's always a good idea to have your version of what happened on record even though this is pretty cut and dried.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by george3761
Tell your insurance company. They will know anyway because the 2 companies will settle it between themselves. It's always a good idea to have your version of what happened on record even though this is pretty cut and dried.
This is the first time quoting someone I hope it works!!

Just like George said -this is really cut and dry. My best friend rear ended me once and I called his insurance company myself and they took care of everything even got a free rental . They did take a statement from me and my friend not a big deal because it was clear as to whose fault it was. Just make sure to call her insurance company if they are slacking. Sometimes they tend to take their time with these wrecks As far as calling your insurance company its your call. If they will call your insurance company anyway you probably should call them and let them know whats up.

Again this is the first time quoting sorry if it does not work right. Thanks,
Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm even more skeptical,
I would have reported the event to the police in order to have the report etc.. I would have also reported the event to my insurance carrier and hers, letting them both know I filed a report as well.

In God I trust - for all others I, get written documentation........

Trust no-one!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
All the world's a stage

Originally Posted by Ganplosive
Westwood area huh, seems to be a shitty place for a TL these couple of days
Yeah, read about the shit that went down with your ride. Crazy. I'm actually at UCLA too - not the school, but the hospital. I work as a RN in the Emergency Department.

I'm actually very fortunate that my neighbor even confessed to hitting my car because honestly I would've never known where it happened. For all I know, it could've happened anywhere and I'd be paying for all the damages.

So I guess I should contact my insurance company then? Should I just tell them that "Hey, I just wanted to tell you someone hit my car but I don't want to file a claim because her insurance company is paying for 100% of the damages?"
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been in this type of situation myself. Her insurance company seems like they will take care of you. Just call your company and report the incident to them, make sure you tell them you DO NOT want to open a claim at this time as her company has accepted fault and will be taking care of the situation.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Racer

this makes me not want to bring my car to school.. fucking westwood and the china-sized potholes
Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Instructor

yeah just be sure to have her insurance pay for it. there's quite a few of us here @ UCLA heh
Old 09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
All the world's a stage

Originally Posted by aznkikaz
this makes me not want to bring my car to school.. fucking westwood and the china-sized potholes
Tell me about it. FYI, there's a wheel-bending pothole going north on Westwood Blvd near Ohio St. They might've filled it by now but just be on the lookout when you're in the right lane.

Not sure about the other parking structures at UCLA but Parking 8 has the narrowest slots ever. I'm just waiting for some ignorant a** to ding my car (in addition to my already f'ed up passenger side rear fender).

Update - I just called my insurance company and informed them of the incident. They documented it as "For Report Purposes Only". Thanks for the advice guys! I feel much better now.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Pro

The last three times someone has hit me I never told my insurance company..

I got everything paid for at a fair price... twice it was an old car and I just pocked the check as the damage was not that bad...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ur company has nothing to do with it. Your neighbor admitted fault and u werent in the car.