Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for a first time TL buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for a first time TL buyer

Ive been looking at this forum for a while now and I just need some good advice and verifaction of my reasoning. I want to buy a black acura tl with navi this year. I know im going to keep the car for a long time and was wondering if buying a mature product is a good idea. The car is probably as good as it can be. I would like to buy a used certified with low miles to save a lil money but Im just concerned that a low miles car has probably been in a wreck or something or that someone may have just driven the hell out of it and got rid of it. I just need some advice on if its worth me paying 5-6k more to get a new one. And one last note. When will the production of the current TL end. I just want to know how long I should wait till i purchase since i think the prices will keep going down until the 09 hits the dealer. Any advice would be great.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It would definately help if you could post a specific TL you are looking at with the year, any options added, asking price and the mileage. There are so many variables with used cars nowadays vs. comparing to new TL's in this particular buying climate that it would be hard to give you a general yes or no answer as to whether or not it would be worth it to spend the extra $$.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced

i bought an 05 TL with 33k miles on it about a month ago, and for the price i couldnt complain. Mine was certified, i looked at the carfax reports, and it wasnt worth it to me to spend another 7-8k on an 08. Thats just my 2 cents though and also a matter of my personal opinion
Old 02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
09 is gonna be a first year design, so it's pretty much determined that there will be problems with it.... I recommend buying something that has had time to have design correction. As ggesq said, we need more specifics to help you out....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

I am looking at a 2006 with navi with 13k miles and the asking price says 30 but im sure they would budge a little bit on that. Ive never bought a car on my own so that will be an adventure. I havent gone and test drove it but how would i know if the engine has been abused or not or would it be difficult to tell just from a drive and the mileage. I drive a 2000 accord and have driven every mile and i think it makes a huge difference is why im asking.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
From your response, it seems that spending the extra $$ is worth it to you for peace of mind of not getting an "abused" used vehicle.

Assuming for a moment that you can get that 06 for 25k (and it is in good cosmetic condition with no options like A-SPEC parts), I don't think it would be worth spending 5-6k more.
If your paying 28k or > more for that 06, definately get a brand new 08. Of course, this is IMHO.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

thanks. that makes some good sense. How can I find out when they will stop production of the current TL. Do you think that will be the best time to get it since they will want to clear them out for the 09 version. I just dont want to wait too long and not get the car that I want since im not in much of a hurry right now.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Instructor

If you can afford it, I would buy new. It's a nice feeling having a new car and breaking it in on your own. As you're going to keep it for a long time, as you said, think of it as an investment.

If you can't afford it, ther are plenty of great used cars out there. There seem to be a lot of summer time deals and especially end of year deals, if you can wait until then.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
TL SL ML :)

The best thing to do is get a great deal on a used aka around 25k as the mod. said, otherwise go new...The best time to buy would be (assuming you're in no rush and can wait it out) is right when the 09's are expected to be released shortly...and all the "leftover" 08's are trying to be filtered out quickly ...clearly there is a risk of not being able to get what you want exactly in which case buy just a little earlier and give yourself some leeway in time and still make out with a great deal...right now TL's can be had here on the east coast for invoice without a question and possibly lower (havent really looked too much into it as im not in the market) but the most I'd pay, again depending on your area, would be invoice and have them throw any and all the accessories you want, in as well.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello & welcome to Acurazine!!
I took delivery of my 2008 TL Type S in December, I LEASED IT and got it for INVOICE (plus some free oil changes) for 10k miles/yr for 36 months.
My last vehicle was a 2006 BMW 325i (leased also) and I am SOOOOO much happier with the TL Type S vs the 325i.
As far as purchasing new vs 1-2 yr old one.........I would vote for the NEW 2008. This way you have it from day 1, and you can maintain it properly & dont have to worry about the previous owner's driving habits.
Right now, Acura is running very, very ATTRACTIVE leases on the TL (all models) & TSX. For a purchase........you should be eligible for Factory to Dealer CASH ($2,000??) + getting the car at INVOICE. Deals are great right now........probably thru Feb only.
Good Luck and let me know if you need anymore help.......I am good with numbers!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Pink things in...

Wanna buy mine? 05 TL with 23k miles.

I kid, I kid.

Everything you're saying is pointing you in the direction of buying a new one because you're so worried about the previous owner and their driving habits.
Best is to wait until the 09 comes out and pick up a new 08.
If you're keeping the car for awhile.....don't lease it.
Just my
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my 2nd gen used from an 82 yr old guy. Lovingly cared for/mint condition/38K for less than 1/2 the price of a new one. It's been great, but it took me 6 months of looking to fine one at a great price and in this condition. The owner had every receipt for everything he ever had done to the car. I knew it wasn't abused and a great deal. Great used cars are out there at great prices. You just have to hunt for them.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
How about an '04 with 12k miles? Pampered garage queen.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by micb
I am looking at a 2006 with navi with 13k miles and the asking price says 30 but im sure they would budge a little bit on that. Ive never bought a car on my own so that will be an adventure. I havent gone and test drove it but how would i know if the engine has been abused or not or would it be difficult to tell just from a drive and the mileage. I drive a 2000 accord and have driven every mile and i think it makes a huge difference is why im asking.
In My opinion 30 is too much for and 06 no matter what... I payed 34k for a brand new 07 with nav....spend the extra money.... i feel is worth the peace of mind...

When i went to buy mine, i was looking for an 05-06 used.....but everytime I sat in the 07.... i was like man the extra money is worht it....the fresh smell of leather. Certified Acura Veichles are pretty much lease returns.... People who lease cars tend to abuse them because they are not going to be owning it.......Belive me....MY boy abused his BMW 5 series because it was a lease...I feel sorry for the person who bought that car afterwards.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:52 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by micb
That's a LT for a newer car UNLESS it is a CPO car from an Acura dealer. If your going to spend that kind dough, why not simply buy a "Certified Pre Owned" one directly from an Acura dealership? With CPO's you usually get an extended warranty up to 100K miles. That removes pretty much EVERY concern you have expressed (Dealers can't sell CPO'd cars that have been previously wrecked without disclosing that to you at the time you buy it. If it's discovered later that it had been previously wrecked and the dealer did not tell you, they can be forced to buy it back at what you paid for it.