Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Near accident... TL handled superbly!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:56 AM
the Budman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Near accident... TL handled superbly!

The wife and I were going to dinner last night to celebrate our annivesary. It was the first time we've left our kids with a baby sitter other than my mother-lin-law in five years and this may have been only the third time we're done that. So it was a big deal.

On out way, we were coming up to a car turning right on a side road. I was doing about the speed limit, 45, although the car would have cleared before I got there and didn't really worry about slowing down to stop. Well, there was a Jeep Wrangler coming in the opposite direction sitting and waiting for this person to turn, since she was turning left on the same side road. Apparently she did not see us coming up from behind the other vehicle and began making the turn in front of us. If she continued to turn, that would have been fine, but she stopped in the middle of the road across both lanes when she realized we were there.

I didn't have time to stop. I pulled the wheel left figuring I could get around her in the oncoming traffic lane (there were no other cars coming, thankfully). Since she stopped, I ended up going off road onto a lawn and managed to swing the car around back on the road before running into some trees. Dirt and dust flew everywhere. The area is pretty wooded, we were very lucky that there was a spot to bail out. There was a ditch right there that I luckily missed or we would have flipped if we had gone in it.

As I got back on the road, stopped and turned my head to towards this woman, she was driving away. I honestly think that if I had teed her instead of trying to avoid her, she would have flipped. I can't believe she forced me off the road and didn't even bother to check to see if we were OK. Amazing.

Anyway, I was shaken a little, but happy how the car performed under the circumstances. I believe the handling of the car helped us avoid getting into a serious accident. As I got back on the road, I could tell the car was ok by the way it handled. As we got to the restaurant, I checked the car out and it seemed fine. I explained to my wife that the car also was rated very high for its safety features and although I didn't want to experience these features, its good to know that were protected.

Time to update the will!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:19 AM
10th Gear

Well done Budman, but I think I would have tracked the woman down and given her a piece of my mind!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Whew...

Wow... sorry you had to go through all that. Pretty crappy for someone to just drive away after almost causing a serious accident. Glad to hear that you and your wife are ok
Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 AM
the Budman

Originally Posted by My 1st Acura
Well done Budman, but I think I would have tracked the woman down and given her a piece of my mind!!!!
Probably would have if the wife was not in the car!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So *THATS* why my insurance dropped when I got married!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by budman
Probably would have if the wife was not in the car!
i think i would have done it anyways. just to see what the FUCK was going through their mind when they drove away.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
i think i would have done it anyways. just to see what the FUCK was going through their mind when they drove away.
Some people are just bad drivers and simply don't think about consequences of any of their actions. The kind of people who don't even understand a need for a "way out" while driving, much less have one planned in various situations.

Or maybe she was a deer in a past life!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:55 AM
VTEC HoooA

Whats even more amazing is that women as a whole pay lower insurance!?!?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced

I've had a very similiar experience in my CLS, forced off the road by an idiot teenager on a backroad who ALSO took off without caring if I was okay. Glad to see you made it out okay!