Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TL-S KILL LIST...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
That's cool, I am not starting anything, just that I dont think you can compare gears on an idividual basis, you also need to relate that to it's final drive, which is the tallest on the TLS, so I believe the best suited for higher speed application, regardless of the test results because it is also the lightest and they all seem to put down very similar figures on the dyno. A taller or shorter individual gear compared to another doesn't mean anything on it's own right, it is the final drive that has the last say on how it translates to the wheels. The IS pulls the best trap but that is not a fair indicator of top speed, becuase it hits the brick wall at or around 120 mph becuase of it's short final drive, the individual ones are more of the torque multiplier that is often spoken of. Trap speed is no longer a valid measure of estimated top speed becuase of all the gearing intervention we see today. Shoter final works well to quickly get the car through a gear and on to the next, sort of like giving it a head start, but when it gets to those higher gears like 4th-6th it has to hold the rpms for longer the shorter gearing does not allow it to accelerate as quickly as a tall final. More spin, less span.
Final drive is meaningless because it's driving whatever gear it's in (ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc). You can have an ultra tall final drive, but a really deep gear ratio which gives you a good overall ratio.

IS350 starts slowing down after 120mph because it's 5th gear is pretty tall plus it's an auto so the transmission pumping losses will begin to take their toll in the longer gears. Regardless, the IS350 is a brute. It gets to 110mph nearly 2 seconds faster (well over 12 car lengths) than the TLS and nearly 1 second (6 car lengths) quicker than the G35. That's an beating. Too bad Lexus can't get the IS350 to handle like either the G or TLS. I'd still pimp one though.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Agreed, exactly my point, it is on an overall basis not individual gears or final drive alone, and the IS with the auto may alter the outcome. What we may be overlooking in all this is that the TLS, besides being a tall setup, also rides on a lower diameter of the two manual transmission vehicles, so it would in fact be able to achieve this greater span for a given rpm faster, than if that were equal. This kind of reverses their roles and the gearing stuff to begin with, when if fact it probably is the rolling diameter that is more important in all of this. It also functions with less drivetrain lose, being FWD. There are plenty of other factors as well, for us to look at besides gearing alone, so it might be very difficult to explain in this matter, and without all the other pieces of info either. Aside from all of this, all three of these cars are awesome in their own right but my bigger concern was that trap speed is too often being used as a true indicator for top speed, when it really isn’t always the case, I think we can agree on that.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-26-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
Final drive is meaningless because it's driving whatever gear it's in (ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc). You can have an ultra tall final drive, but a really deep gear ratio which gives you a good overall ratio.

IS350 starts slowing down after 120mph because it's 5th gear is pretty tall plus it's an auto so the transmission pumping losses will begin to take their toll in the longer gears. Regardless, the IS350 is a brute. It gets to 110mph nearly 2 seconds faster (well over 12 car lengths) than the TLS and nearly 1 second (6 car lengths) quicker than the G35. That's an beating. Too bad Lexus can't get the IS350 to handle like either the G or TLS. I'd still pimp one though.
I would really like to see a IS350 6MT. Lexus uses that tranny in the IS250 so I am curious why they don't offer one in the IS350 or IS-F. Of course the 8AT in the IS-F is amazing! I love driving my friends mothers IS-F.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
not disagreeing with anybody that street racing is illegal and dangerous.. but i have to butt in when people are overexagerating it just to take shots at the OP.

if any of you spend enough time at the tracks like me. you'd know that the "safe" sanctioned tracks have injuries and deaths just like the open road.

in fact, i've never had a person i knew die on the highway(hope to never).. seen 2 people die at a drag strip and road courses though.

food for thought

also im aware there are other peoples lives at stake on the road other than the drivers.. not condoning street dragging.. just dumb when people pull out the mom card on other members when they dont like what they post..

Last edited by Rockstar21; 05-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice kills bro! Oh and about that Carrera, anything goes on the street!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
not disagreeing with anybody that street racing is illegal and dangerous.. but i have to butt in when people are overexagerating it just to take shots at the OP.

if any of you spend enough time at the tracks like me. you'd know that the "safe" sanctioned tracks have injuries and deaths just like the open road.

in fact, i've never had a person i knew die on the highway(hope to never).. seen 2 people die at a drag strip and road courses though.

food for thought

also im aware there are other peoples lives at stake on the road other than the drivers.. not condoning street dragging.. just dumb when people pull out the mom card on other members when they dont like what they post..
You pretty much called yourself out at the end of your post. You're right, people get hurt/killed at the track, but they know all about the increased risk and sign the requisite waiver. People transporting their families on public roads should not be subjected to the same level of risk. Your post was pretty much pointless.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
People transporting their families on public roads should not be subjected to the same level of risk.
Spot on.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACU-RATE
Look Dude...I know what a boxer lookz like....Thats a Female Porsche...this was a Carrera. PERIOD! not too sure what year....BUt it was a CARRERA!

& u must not know anything about RACING....

If you did...you'll know that RACING at the TRACK & RACING on the STREETS is 2 TOTALLY DIFF. things.

I've beatin cars on the STREETS that RUN low 13's at the TRACK.

I.E. the 05 STI.

RR vs FF ?.....Dude...this is NOT Laguna Seca...

this was from a STOP LIGHT 0-110mph.

END of CONVO !!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Spot on.
Amen. I could care less about the safety and well being of two idiot street racers. It's the other people on the road who shouldn't be subject to be a racing event and put in danger. Yeah, yeah, you guys typically do it when it's "safe" (ie late at night, desolate roads, etc) but it's still not a controlled environment and people/animals have a way of appearing out of nowhere. Stop being a puss and take your ride to the strip and see what you and your car a capable of instead of putting people in danger and making outragous claims about how fast you think your car is. I put any credit in someone's claims unless they've got some legit slips to back them up.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
lets not turn this into a racing ethics thread please. this is, in fact, the racing subforum.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
You know what's funny, everyone who say's don't race on the streets and it's not safe, have done it themselves! I'm tired of hearing people complain about street racing! EVERYONE has done it at one point or another.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GUYS this is not LAGUNA SECA-ahahhhh!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very impressive, however I own a 04 TL and a 07 911carreraS, and I can honestly say that my carrera is redonculously fast, it makes me angry when I get into the TL because of its lack of power....what model year Porsche did u race??? reguardless however, still nice on the mod's....i really want to drop some money into my TL (any suggestions). I see you are in NC, I like to go to the Carolina Motorsport Park in Kershaw SC, its a fairly new 4million dollor facility, really nice, you should come race sometime, let me know.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
lets not turn this into a racing ethics thread please. this is, in fact, the racing subforum.
MODERATOR'S NOTE: There's legal racing (i.e.: drag strip, road course, etc....) and then there's illegal street racing. I'll tolerate stories of incidental runs that may occur infrequently but I wont condone what I see as patterns of street racing occuring with regularity. AND, I'll not have an anarchistic thread void of personal responsibility when it comes to motor vehicle use on public roads.

That said, if one really wants to see what they or their car is made of then they need to get to the track. Period.

I'll let this thread go on a little further before closing it down.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura-or-Porsche?
very impressive, however I own a 04 TL and a 07 911carreraS, and I can honestly say that my carrera is redonculously fast, it makes me angry when I get into the TL because of its lack of power....what model year Porsche did u race??? reguardless however, still nice on the mod's....i really want to drop some money into my TL (any suggestions). I see you are in NC, I like to go to the Carolina Motorsport Park in Kershaw SC, its a fairly new 4million dollor facility, really nice, you should come race sometime, let me know.
A person who uses the word "redonculously" does not own an 07 Carrera S. Sorry buddy.

Pics or fail.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura-or-Porsche?

LOL according to your sig., it says you're 23 and you own both cars? At 23, I was driving a 93 Camry and trying to make payments on that.