3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my TL got broken into today...or did it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry my TL got broken into today...or did it?

dam so i walk to my car after class (houston ppl it was at TSU, nuff said) and i noticed that an empty bag from my trunk was on the ground, i didnt think much of it bc i got my backpack out of the trunk this morning and figured it just fell out then...i walk around to the driver door and look in to see my middle console open and my drivers manual on the passenger seat and i just said @$#%#$%!

the sad thing is is that im not sure if it got broken into, i think it just might not have locked no windows were broken and the only thing i noticed was the rubber around the passenger side window was a tucked in some, but..correct me if im wrong, but doesnt it have to be cut for a slimjim to slide through?

i ALWAYS press lock twice to hear the lil beep, but i guess i could see myself either not locking it or only doing it once today and it not locking bc i was running late to class and i had to go to my trunk after i got out...either way i still wanna to whoever it was...my first time to go to class in a wk and this happens, why me?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:49 PM
To punish and enslave

I'm not sure if you can unlock a door with a slim jim but was anything missing? Watch for the future because maybe the person looked in the manual to look at diagrams to break in the car in the future.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
aw1
Pro

i think some scumbag broke into you car. at least they didnt take it. my car automatically locks the door after 1 min after exiting. just in case i forget.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I understand, the car will only automatically lock if by chance you depressed the keyfob on accident to unlock the car ONLY and ONLY if the car was locked in the first place and none of the doors are opened within your 1 minute time frame or whatever time interval you set it at.

If you forget to lock the car in the first place, I don't think the car will automatically lock by itself unless you have aftermarket on there.

And you don't need to cut the rubber to use a slim-jim. Only thing required is a wedge to create space between the rubber and the window and knowing where to catch the latch.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The alarm would have sounded if someone had used something to unlock the door.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by special-ed
From what I understand, the car will only automatically lock if by chance you depressed the keyfob on accident to unlock the car ONLY and ONLY if the car was locked in the first place and none of the doors are opened within your 1 minute time frame or whatever time interval you set it at.

If you forget to lock the car in the first place, I don't think the car will automatically lock by itself unless you have aftermarket on there.

And you don't need to cut the rubber to use a slim-jim. Only thing required is a wedge to create space between the rubber and the window and knowing where to catch the latch.
well now i dont feel like beating myself totally up, bc the rubber was definetly tucked in on the passenger side and i would like to think that i locked it as usual...

the only things i found missing was my cd's a nice pair of jordan work out gloves from the backseat and a pair of jordans from the trunk.....things im glad that were still there include sunglasses, EZ tag, golf clubs in the trunk, and lug key in the glove that i hadnt gotten around to putten back up...oh yeah and THE CAR ITSELF haha.. the punks ripped off the plastic around the ignition in hopes of starting the car, luckily its a laser key
Old 07-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6

D'OH!!! so i DID leave it unlocked??

kill me now.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:19 PM
"You are just a puppet.."

I believe this is true
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Iro Ridg .308

yeah, it sounds like you either left it unlocked or just pressed the keyfob once to lock but not twice to engage the alarm. Maybe the latter if they actually did jimmy your car. sucks either way. i know because i'm always paranoid about accidentally unlocking the car or not engaging the alarm.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
To punish and enslave

Originally Posted by vupac1
D'OH!!! so i DID leave it unlocked??

kill me now.
Yeah you probaly did. If you set the lock twice, the only way to unlock the doors without setting off the alarm is to use the keyfob unlock button. Or else the alarm will go off.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

yeah, it sounds like you either left it unlocked or just pressed the keyfob once to lock but not twice to engage the alarm. Maybe the latter if they actually did jimmy your car. sucks either way. i know because i'm always paranoid about accidentally unlocking the car or not engaging the alarm.

i think the latter is very possible, because i dont normally just double click the lock, i hit it once wait a sec then hit it again...and lately i noticed that my remote is losing its range, i need to change the battery
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

i think the latter is very possible, because i dont normally just double click the lock, i hit it once wait a sec then hit it again...and lately i noticed that my remote is losing its range, i need to change the battery

...i also doubt that it was just some random kid walking down the row checking for unlocked cars to go thru, because like i said they ripped off the plastic around the ignition hoping to steal the car so it sounds like they had the intent to break in and jack the whole thing not just my cd's and shoes, but who knows with kids nowadays...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Angry Tl Alarms Are Being Cracked...

vupac1:

My TL was broken in for the THIRD time last thursday in SF. No signs of entry each time. The first time I thought that maybe I left the car unlocked - I too click the remote twice to hear the chirp letting me know the car is locked/alarmed. The second time, I unfortunately locked my glove box and had the trunk lock switch turned off. The bastards did lots of damage to my dash but were not able to get into my glove box - however, they were able to get into my trunk. If I left my car unlocked, they shouldn't have been able to get into my trunk even if they had a key. My dealer changed my remote code and all was well until last Thursday - everything was taken from the car including the manuals (a nice neighbor found them and returned them to me). Each time the alarm didn't sound. I am absolutely positive that I locked my car the third time.

I've called ACS - they were no help. Apparently I'm the only one who has told them that this has happened (or that they are willing to admit, which I believe to be the case). My car is at the dealer today (to fix rattles, driveline vib, etc.) but they don't have any clue on what to do about the alarm situation. Problem is that they told me that my alarm cannot be disconnected because of a central processing unit that controls many functions. If this is the case, even with an aftermarket alarm, the bastards can still pop open my trunk/doors and grab what they can while my after market alarm sounds.....

I really don't know what to do at this point.... anyone???

You NEED to call ACS and get a case number. This appears to me to be a problem with the alarm that they need to correct.

Feel free to PM me - I'll let you know how things progress with my dealer and ACS.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Iro Ridg .308

hello mr insurance guy.....

here's what was stolen.....

1. pioneer djm909 mixer from the trunk $1000 (you dj for hobby interests or else they won't cover you if it's for business use)

2. ipod from the glove $300
3. 2 7" Alpine LCD Monitors $600
4. V1 radar $400
5. leather attache $400

Hello 4 wheel BBK and upgraded adjustable suspension! I always try to turn a negative situation into a positive one
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pressing it once or twice doesn't make a difference, all the 2nd press is to confirm that you actually locked the car.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by sftroy
vupac1:

My TL was broken in for the THIRD time last thursday in SF. No signs of entry each time. The first time I thought that maybe I left the car unlocked - I too click the remote twice to hear the chirp letting me know the car is locked/alarmed. The second time, I unfortunately locked my glove box and had the trunk lock switch turned off. The bastards did lots of damage to my dash but were not able to get into my glove box - however, they were able to get into my trunk. If I left my car unlocked, they shouldn't have been able to get into my trunk even if they had a key. My dealer changed my remote code and all was well until last Thursday - everything was taken from the car including the manuals (a nice neighbor found them and returned them to me). Each time the alarm didn't sound. I am absolutely positive that I locked my car the third time.

I've called ACS - they were no help. Apparently I'm the only one who has told them that this has happened (or that they are willing to admit, which I believe to be the case). My car is at the dealer today (to fix rattles, driveline vib, etc.) but they don't have any clue on what to do about the alarm situation. Problem is that they told me that my alarm cannot be disconnected because of a central processing unit that controls many functions. If this is the case, even with an aftermarket alarm, the bastards can still pop open my trunk/doors and grab what they can while my after market alarm sounds.....

I really don't know what to do at this point.... anyone???

You NEED to call ACS and get a case number. This appears to me to be a problem with the alarm that they need to correct.

Feel free to PM me - I'll let you know how things progress with my dealer and ACS.

Hey SFtroy, keep us posted on this. I figured it would be just a matter of time before people would start breaking in our rides on a regular. I'm in the east bay so this is definitely a concern for me. However, whether you have an aftermarket alarm or not, they can still break in and open the doors while the alarm is sounding. In my case, I would rather have an aftermarket alarm go off and page my ass so I can apply the beatdown versus not having anything go off to warn me.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by rbf351
pressing it once or twice doesn't make a difference, all the 2nd press is to confirm that you actually locked the car.

Well if this is true, then he never did lock the car in the first place. Also, if this is true, very good to know for personal use.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Hey SFtroy, keep us posted on this. I figured it would be just a matter of time before people would start breaking in our rides on a regular. I'm in the east bay so this is definitely a concern for me. However, whether you have an aftermarket alarm or not, they can still break in and open the doors while the alarm is sounding. In my case, I would rather have an aftermarket alarm go off and page my ass so I can apply the beatdown versus not having anything go off to warn me.

The pisser is that the Lexus and Audi's in my neighborhood are not being broken into. There are a few TLs in my neighborhood (Noe Valley) that are parked on the street - I'm going to leave them notes asking if they are having similar break-ins and will advise.....
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
We have met the enemy and....

This is getting to be a regular occurance.

I hate to say it, but I suspect Error 14.

Error 14= operator error.

https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/just-showing-up-113565/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95662

Read these links. It happened to me in Tampa. NO sign of forced entry. No damage. Amateurs took only my radar detector and Sun Pass (useless when you report it stolen). The thieves were very considerate. They carefully went through the Glove Box and center console. They did not take my CDs or DVD-As.

I am pretty sure I locked the car- but not positive. However, several times since, I have inadvertantly hit the unlock button while putting the HUGE key fob in my pocket.

If someone were standing next to the car or passing by, they would hear it unlock and have 60 seconds to open a door.

I was in an adjacent club and could have pushed the button many times while getting money out. I was within range of the car.

Still a mystery. Hasn't happened since. I am much more conscientious about locking it for sure.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

its kinda weird that my minimal losses (cd's pair of jordans) bother me more than the damage inside...they ripped off the plastic around the ignition...

i guess i feel slight comfort in the fact that they were thwarted in their attempts to jack the whole car... does anybody know how much it will run to replace that plastic are around my ignition?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM
6MT & LSD

I hate to see threads like this. Gets me all paranoid...

A few notes:

1. The auto re-lock works when the unlock button is pressed, but no doors were opened - regardless of whether the car was locked or unlocked to begin with.
2. I believe you can change the auto re-lock time with the MID (hmm.. or was it just the auto off headlights? I'll check later and confirm)
3. Make sure your comprehensive insurance covers all your personal belongings, and keep your receipts/documents of those items in a safe place. Set the deductible as low as possible, i.e. $50, unless it raises your premium a lot.
4. IMO, most aftermarket alarms are only effective in that it *may* reduce your insurance premium. Shock/level sensors would be great, but really, the alarm going off means your car has already been damaged.
5. IMO, it's just best to leave valuable items out of plain view. Try not to blast your nice subs in sketchy area, nor have decals/stickers of aftermarket parts on the car.

Just curious; since the TL's keyless entry doesn't have rolling code, is it possible for someone to capture the signal?

Another interesting side note - my last car's key fob could open two of my friends' garages...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xpditor
This is getting to be a regular occurance.

I hate to say it, but I suspect Error 14.

Error 14= operator error.

Operator error doesn't explain what is happening, at least in my case. I always click my lock button twice so that I hear the beep signaling that the alarm is on. If I would have locked my car and hit the unlock button on the remote, the alarm will rearm if the the doors are not opened in a short period. The thefts are taking place in the middle of the night, well after I've parked/locked my car. The second time my car was broken into, they got into my locked trunk as well as the cabin. The glove box was locked and unopened with the trunk lock override switch set so that the trunk release button would not work. How did they get into my trunk?? So far the only explaination the Police, alarm companies and my Acura dealer have said is that they have some type of alarm code generator and are cycling thru codes . . .
Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

did you lock your trunk pass through? there is a trunk release handle just behind the pass through that will open the trunk from inside the cabin regardless of whether the glove box trunk lick is on or off.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A theory on why the theif was messing with the driver's/owner's manual...

My dealer placed my radio code and navi code card in the case for my driver's manual. I wonder if the theif was looking for this and was considering grabbing the stereo? Did you have your card in there? Is it missing?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
100k miles club

vupac1: sorry to hear that bro. my old car was "broken into" with my help. i left my window rolled down but my alarm was armed. so all they took was at arms reach. most were burned cd's except my Nas cd . it was parked at my gf's old apartment complex. it was an underground parking in costa mesa. wtf? i thought that complex was too expensive for "people" who like to violate others' property but i guess my stereotype is way off

after that occurence, i'm extra careful with my TL. i click and click until i hear the beeps multiple times. i park my car front end first with the tires turned so it can't be towed. if the place i'm going is not familiar, i try to have others drive or i'll take my old car, or not go at all. kinda sucks with all this paranoia oh well

good luck to you. just take it as a lesson learned i guess

sftroy: you either have to move out of that neighborhood or find a way to park that baby indoors
Old 07-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Racer

Someone hopped through a unlocked back window of my roomate's truck in a expensive costa mesa apartment complex too. No way to escape, heh.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

here's what was stolen.....

1. pioneer djm909 mixer from the trunk $1000 (you dj for hobby interests or else they won't cover you if it's for business use)

2. ipod from the glove $300
3. 2 7" Alpine LCD Monitors $600
4. V1 radar $400
5. leather attache $400

Hello 4 wheel BBK and upgraded adjustable suspension! I always try to turn a negative situation into a positive one
I hope you're kidding because insurance fraud is a crime. People who do stuff like what you're hinting at help raise insurance rates for decent people.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by leeherman
I hope you're kidding because insurance fraud is a crime. People who do stuff like what you're hinting at help raise insurance rates for decent people.

easy killer....
Old 07-22-2005, 02:07 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by sftroy
Operator error doesn't explain what is happening, at least in my case. I always click my lock button twice so that I hear the beep signaling that the alarm is on. If I would have locked my car and hit the unlock button on the remote, the alarm will rearm if the the doors are not opened in a short period. The thefts are taking place in the middle of the night, well after I've parked/locked my car. The second time my car was broken into, they got into my locked trunk as well as the cabin. The glove box was locked and unopened with the trunk lock override switch set so that the trunk release button would not work. How did they get into my trunk?? So far the only explaination the Police, alarm companies and my Acura dealer have said is that they have some type of alarm code generator and are cycling thru codes . . .
Let me tell you a true story:

One time about a year ago a couple of friends and I went to look at some new Toyota cars well after dark and the dealer had closed for the day. We were browsing around, and I pulled the door handles on a few of the cars - well in sight of cameras. I didn't want to take anything, I just wanted to sit inside. If the door had opened, I would have sat inside, and locked the door when I was finished.

Anyway, about 15 minutes into our looking, a white BMW M3 (a new one) pulls into the lot and 3 Asian guys got out. They nodded heads at us and began also looking around. Anyone who knows Toyotas knows that they beep like TL's, only when you lock or unlock them an regardless of how many times you push the buttons. Well, a few minutes after the Asian guys had pulled up, we began hearing lots of Toyota alarm beeps. I made my way back to a Tundra I'd been looking at earlier and pulled the handle - and the door opened. I remembered this truck being locked.

I immediately called the police and started back for my car with my friends. The other guys then got in the M3 and took off quickly. The cops arrived a few minutes later and we all went around re-locking the cars at the dealership, at this point almost every car was unlocked.

How'd they do it?

We may never know.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I'm not sure if you can unlock a door with a slim jim but was anything missing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they are intended to do?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Toasterthedog
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they are intended to do?
yes thats what they are for, i've used on before, they are a bitch to use, but get the job done (fiance locked her keys on the car)

also when you press the unlock button on the TL, the "alarm" is disabled

so if they did use a slimjim to get into the car, all they had to do was press unlock, and the horn would have never gone off
Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Originally Posted by lumpydog
A theory on why the theif was messing with the driver's/owner's manual...

My dealer placed my radio code and navi code card in the case for my driver's manual. I wonder if the theif was looking for this and was considering grabbing the stereo? Did you have your card in there? Is it missing?

That's a good thought!!

If it was in there, and isnt anymore, be very cautious...

Theives suck!
I've been broken into twice (not in the TL, two other cars). The second time they were even mean enough to steal one of those tiny little tobacco pipes... i mean the cheap little $2 platic ones... No respect!!!

About claiming you had all that stuff stolen... insurance fraud is never a good idea, as nice as it would be... did anyone hear about that lady teacher who paid two of her students (who I think may have had 'relations' with them) to set fire to her car so she could get the insurance money?? she got charged with some things, and i think the kids got charged with arson and/or vandalism...

when my stuff was stolen, amps/speakers both times, the insurance company had to have receipts for the stuff!! It was a pain to dig up, but luckily sound advice and crutchfield both keep records and could reprint stuff for me...

About the slimjim theory... i think some new cars, like probably the TL, it is impossible to use a slimjim... thats why you can get a new key from the dealer from the VIN (with proof of ownership of course... my question is... if you are in an area where there isnt a dealer within 100 miles!!! )
Old 07-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mp3car
That's a good thought!!

About the slimjim theory... i think some new cars, like probably the TL, it is impossible to use a slimjim... thats why you can get a new key from the dealer from the VIN (with proof of ownership of course... my question is... if you are in an area where there isnt a dealer within 100 miles!!! )
any car can be opened by a slim jim, some take longer than others. no car is air tight, all you need to do is pry the door a little and it slides in. maybe i'm talking about a different device, and not the slimjim
Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
6MT & LSD

SHUT UP! Shut up, you American! You always talk, you Americans. You talk, and you talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say this". Well, you're dead now, so shut up!

- Grim Reaper, Monty Python's Meaning of Life

sorry, I just remembered this quote and it cracked me up.

interesting story though.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Instructor

With the TL alarm on, using either a slim jim to unlock the car or sliding something btw the window/seal or door frame/seal and hitting the unlock button, the alarm will sound. You can test this by arming your car (waiting the 30/60 secs. needed to arm) the push the unlock button - the alarm will sound.

My alarm never sounded during any of the break-ins, and the alarm was on....
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm Baaack!

any car can be opened by a slim jim, some take longer than others. no car is air tight, all you need to do is pry the door a little and it slides in. maybe i'm talking about a different device, and not the slimjim
The Slim Jim was effective on older cars, it is a thin piece of metal that slides between the weatherstripping and the window, you then slide it towards the lock cylinder and capture the mechanism, forcing it to unlock.

Most new manufacturers have put a sleeve over the cylinder (not the technical terms) which renders this type of device useless. Now all you need is a wedge and a long piece of metal you wedge open the window a bit push the piece of metal ion and hit the unlock key. Doesn't disarm the alarm but gets the door open.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
The Slim Jim was effective on older cars, it is a thin piece of metal that slides between the weatherstripping and the window, you then slide it towards the lock cylinder and capture the mechanism, forcing it to unlock.

Most new manufacturers have put a sleeve over the cylinder (not the technical terms) which renders this type of device useless. Now all you need is a wedge and a long piece of metal you wedge open the window a bit push the piece of metal ion and hit the unlock key. Doesn't disarm the alarm but gets the door open.
it was a slim jim i was talking about then, just tested it on my brothers TSX, we sat in the car, turned it off, opened the door then closed it, locked it with the Key Fob, waited about 1 minute (just to make sure it was armed) pressed unlock, the interior lights turned on, opened the door and no alarm sounded.

Gonna try it on the TL tonight, did it before, but going to do it again, just to make sure
Old 07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
10th Gear

DON'T GIVE theives a reason to to break into your car. You cant really prevent theives from stealing the entire car, but I would guess that the majority of car thefts are items that are left in plain view. When ever I park my car for the night, I always leave glove box, center console, and cup holders area open. I place my CDS in the trunk and remove all other accesories out of the car.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Type S-man

One time about a year ago a couple of friends and I went to look at some new Toyota cars well after dark and the dealer had closed for the day. We were browsing around, and I pulled the door handles on a few of the cars - well in sight of cameras. I didn't want to take anything, I just wanted to sit inside. If the door had opened, I would have sat inside, and locked the door when I was finished.

Anyway, about 15 minutes into our looking, a white BMW M3 (a new one) pulls into the lot and 3 Asian guys got out. They nodded heads at us and began also looking around. Anyone who knows Toyotas knows that they beep like TL's, only when you lock or unlock them an regardless of how many times you push the buttons. Well, a few minutes after the Asian guys had pulled up, we began hearing lots of Toyota alarm beeps. I made my way back to a Tundra I'd been looking at earlier and pulled the handle - and the door opened. I remembered this truck being locked.

I immediately called the police and started back for my car with my friends. The other guys then got in the M3 and took off quickly. The cops arrived a few minutes later and we all went around re-locking the cars at the dealership, at this point almost every car was unlocked.

How'd they do it?

We may never know.

I think my dad's car was broken into in a similar manner. He was eating at a restaurant and ALWAYS locks his car. about 20 minutes later the server came and asked if he had a Toyota Avalon since the door was open....Apparently so were the doors on 2 other cars. Someone had somehow been able to unlock the doors without any signs of forced entry. luckily nothing of value was in the car.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

it was a slim jim i was talking about then, just tested it on my brothers TSX, we sat in the car, turned it off, opened the door then closed it, locked it with the Key Fob, waited about 1 minute (just to make sure it was armed) pressed unlock, the interior lights turned on, opened the door and no alarm sounded.

Gonna try it on the TL tonight, did it before, but going to do it again, just to make sure

am i missing something here? i dont get this test at all...if you press unlock and open your door why the hell would the alarm sound? are you saying you want the alarm to sound everytime you get into your car? if i'm totally lost please explain what you're trying to do a little bit better, bc i'm confused

Quick Reply: my TL got broken into today...or did it?