Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my timing belt adjuster ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How to remove camshaft timing gear?

I spent already about 2 hours searching for this howto. Nothing! I'm going to change the camshaft seals during timing belt replacement procedure.

Is this the only way?
Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
If you have a small impact gun that works well. Or loosen up the bolts while timing belt is still there - engine with spark plugs in might give you enough resistance if you try to "snap" the bolt loose with quick motion.

Otherwise you will need to improvise a holding tool, like one on the picture you posted. I've heard about using a belt wrench to hold the camshaft, but never actually tried that.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
I found this in 30 seconds: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...g-belt-967220/

and it mentions a pulley holder that you can rent from any auto parts stores so the sprocket doesn't spin and you can remove it..
Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts
I still have the pulley holder I made for the VG30 cam gears in my 300ZX. Simple iron bar of 1" square stock, two big old hex bolts sticking out where they can go thru the holes (or spokes as pictured above) in the cam gears. Easy and fun. I may even use it when I go to do my J35 cam seals soon.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I found this in 30 seconds: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...g-belt-967220/

and it mentions a pulley holder that you can rent from any auto parts stores so the sprocket doesn't spin and you can remove it..
I found that thread in 30 second too. But from first posts I didn't found an answer for my case.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peter6
Or loosen up the bolts while timing belt is still there - engine with spark plugs in might give you enough resistance if you try to "snap" the bolt loose with quick motion.
I like this idea. And is it safe enough? And how to apply the correct torque when I will tight them up?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catzilla
Simple iron bar of 1" square stock, two big old hex bolts sticking out where they can go thru the holes (or spokes as pictured above) in the cam gears. Easy and fun.
Yes, it is a good DIY tool!
The following users liked this post:
Ted Kief (06-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Make sure you loosen the cam bolt with the belt on. Once you take the belt off and start messing with the cam, and forget where the position was, it becomes dangerous. On the other hand, if it isn't leaking, don't fix it. I have 320k miles on my 07 V6 Accord and cam seals aren't leaking.

Last edited by t-rd; 04-07-2020 at 08:09 PM.
firebolt (04-07-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 02:26 AM
Advanced

My camshafts... How bad are they?

I'm onto valve adjustment now. Today took a good picture of my camshafts. There was nothing like this on my Mercedes-Benz which was 21 years old. But this car is only 15.
So how much my camshaft lobes are worn out? Should I worry about it?
And what oil would be better for my engine now? 5w-30, 5w-40?

Old 04-23-2020, 12:54 PM
Advanced

And I also have a video of what there was before adjustment -
Acura TL Builder (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Hey your Russian and in PDX!

Good work on the car!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Hey your Russian and in PDX!
Hey! Yes, there are many russians and ukrainians in PDX. I'm a fresh one
Good work on the car!
Thanks! The work is good but it doesn't mean my car will feel good after this work (after my hands) I hope it will.
And what do you think about my camshafts?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

It seems like at some point the the engine was run hard for an extended period of time without enough oil.

Though there are others here that have a more experienced opinion on this matter.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by firebolt
And what do you think about my camshafts?
Keep an eye out for a salvage yard RL and harvest its cams.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-gains-986925/
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (04-23-2020), Slpr04UA6 (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
Keep an eye out for a salvage yard RL and harvest its cams.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-gains-986925/
Not a joke? You think they are really bad?
Old 04-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Not a joke? You think they are really bad?

I'm just showing you a potential alternative if you come to the resolution to replace them.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Advanced

I'm just showing you a potential alternative if you come to the resolution to replace them.
Ohh, ok, thank you! It's a good alternative. I hope, I don't need it.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Dang, now he’s going to take the RL cams I was going to get for the Silver TL out of our local junkyard!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Buy a set. They will give you a good boost in power.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

You're welcome,

Hey! Yes, there are many russians and ukrainians in PDX. I'm a fresh one
So, firebolt, please tell us how you like the new land that you reside? I'm always interested in 'points of view' from individuals of your national region.

Don't hold back, you can candidly speak of the good and the bad to your hearts content.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Advanced

So, firebolt, please tell us how you like the new land that you reside? I'm always interested in 'points of view' from individuals of your national region.

Don't hold back, you can candidly speak of the good and the bad to your hearts content.
Actually, I'm a german from Kazakhstan. But Kazakhstan is the same as Russia. And I don't know german language
How I like the new land? I won't tell about all aspects of life. Like about welding the porch's door in Kazakhstan so that people who sick with corona could not go out from their apartments. But what about cars? The cars here cost 2 times less and the income here is about 20 times more. So they are 40 times more affordable then in Kazakhstan And I'm amazed with the quantity of tools that you can buy to make DIY on you car. And these tools are more affordable too! You can buy whatever you can imagine in your brain and it is already invented and laying on the shelf in auto parts store near you home. So, I have no bad to my heart content.
Acura TL Builder (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, I'm a german from Kazakhstan. But Kazakhstan is the same as Russia. And I don't know german language
How I like the new land? I won't tell about all aspects of life. Like about welding the porch's door in Kazakhstan so that people who sick with corona could not go out from their apartments.

Now firebolt, You opened that door about 'welding the porch's door', so, you can't leave us hanging like that!
I need more information

But what about cars? The cars here cost 2 times less and the income here is about 20 times more. So they are 40 times more affordable then in Kazakhstan And I'm amazed with the quantity of tools that you can buy to make DIY on you car. And these tools are more affordable too! You can buy whatever you can imagine in your brain and it is already invented and laying on the shelf in auto parts store near you home. So, I have no bad to my heart content.
I am glad that your heart is content, in your new land. Furthermore, enjoy all that extra income, you have found in comparison, to live your remaining years happy.
Good Luck!
Acura TL Builder (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Now firebolt, You opened that door about 'welding the porch's door', so, you can't leave us hanging like that!
I need more information
Oh, no no no. You can read about it by yourself by googling "welded porch door kazakhstan". Here is an example.

I am glad that your heart is content, in your new land. Furthermore, enjoy all that extra income, you have found in comparison, to live your remaining years happy.
Good Luck!
Thank you so much!
Old 04-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, no no no. You can read about it by yourself by googling "welded porch door kazakhstan". Here is an example.
Thanks for that!
With all due respect, firebolt, that is just another disgraceful, pathetic and shamefully tragic example of authoritarianism.
You now can fully understand why, we in the West, cherish and fight to preserve the petals of 'freedom' from such idealogies, yes?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

The ones that say “spoiled, arrogant Americans” are the ones that wish they were here. It doesn’t help that outside media paints us this way the instill disdain.

Not enough people have a reference to fully understand how great and rich our country is.

Hey Firebolt, lets get together. I’ll show you how the current supercharger runs on the TL.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Thanks for that!
With all due respect, firebolt, that is just another disgraceful, pathetic and shamefully tragic example of authoritarianism.
zeta, you don't need to apologize for it. I'm fully agree with you.
You now can fully understand why, we in the West, cherish and fight to preserve the petals of 'freedom' from such idealogies, yes?
I have a lot of what to say about it, but I feel it is against the forum's rules.

The ones that say “spoiled, arrogant Americans” are the ones that wish they were here.
It is the way people try to make believe themselves that America is the worst place on the planet. Because if they will avow that America is one of the best places it will make their life terrible, because they have no chance even to visit this country.

Not enough people have a reference to fully understand how great and rich our country is.
Sometimes to understand what is 'good' you need to know that is 'bad'.

Last edited by firebolt; 04-30-2020 at 06:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firebolt:
Acura TL Builder (04-30-2020), zeta (04-30-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Not bad compare it mine

I'm onto valve adjustment now. Today took a good picture of my camshafts. There was nothing like this on my Mercedes-Benz which was 21 years old. But this car is only 15.
So how much my camshaft lobes are worn out? Should I worry about it?
And what oil would be better for my engine now? 5w-30, 5w-40?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VictorTL
Not bad compare it mine
Please, tell me more about your case. How was it feeling? In what condition was your crankshaft with these camshafts? Rocker arms?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Did the most stupid thing in my life

I hope you will laughing at me not so long and will give me a couple of good advises.
There was a bad sound from the timing belt area after I installed a new timing belt. I finished it on this Tuesday. Yesterday I decided to disassemble all this stuff one more time to check what is wrong. When I took off the belt and the alternator's tensioner I decided to start the engine and figure out from where was this bad sound. But a I also took off the crankshafts pulley too! And this pin which synchronizes the crankshaft with the timing belt gear. Engine didn't start. I started to figure out why the engine didn't start and saw this picture.

I already took off the timing belt. No any marks I did because the crankshaft already not synchronized with the timing mechanism. Now I would like to know in which cylinder the piston contacted the valves. Before I tried to start engine the timing system was in the 1 cylinder TDC position. What do you think? Does the starter have enough power to bend the valves? The key was in 'START' position maybe only 1 - 1.5 second. The stater made its sound only two times.

And I am going to research how to synchronize the crankshaft and the camshafts.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Read my post #2 in the thread below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...estion-987054/

Old 05-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Read my post #2 in the thread below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...estion-987054/

Yes, thank you! This your post is exactly what I was looking for.
And in the post #3 I read that if I will be able to rotate my crankshaft 360 and there will be no unusual resistance, then I should be good. It is good info for me too. After this I will check the compression in cylinders.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Is my timing belt adjuster ok?

Here is a video. I don't know if it ok or not. It is new but looks like it is loosen

Old 05-16-2020, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is a video. I don't know if it ok or not. It is new but looks like it is loosen

https://youtu.be/Xj4BKIYPkYg

Did you transfer #9 Collar, Auto Adjuster from your old timing belt adjuster to the new? Very important.
If so, that bolt gets 19lb-ft of torque only.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2005...ft-timing-belt
Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Did you transfer #9 Collar, Auto Adjuster from your old timing belt adjuster to the new? Very important.
If so, that bolt gets 19lb-ft of torque only.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2005...ft-timing-belt
Yes, this #9 part is on its place. But the belt adjuster is not tight.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
But the belt adjuster is not tight.
I just checked for movement on the pulley on the timing belt adjuster I removed when I changed my timing belt. The pulley on your timing belt adjuster seems to have more movement than mine. Mine had 100k miles when I removed it.

Where did you get your timing belt adjuster? There have been many threads reporting premature failure/poor quality on "genuine" OEM parts purchased through Ebay/Amazon.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by redbeard1
I just checked for movement on the pulley on the timing belt adjuster I removed when I changed my timing belt. The pulley on your timing belt adjuster seems to have more movement than mine. Mine had 100k miles when I removed it.

Where did you get your timing belt adjuster? There have been many threads reporting premature failure/poor quality on "genuine" OEM parts purchased through Ebay/Amazon.
I bough it on eBay. It is a Continental kit. Looks like original one, what was installed on my car. WP and tensioner are Aisin, bearings are Koyo or NTN, I'm not sure. So i think it is original and its cost was more than that "originals". And seller had no other kit, only one. I don't know...
Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Continental uses Chinese parts in their timing belt kit... here we go again.

Get a Koyo one or OEM only.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by t-rd
Continental uses Chinese parts in their timing belt kit... here we go again.

Get a Koyo one or OEM only.
Wow! Then why continental kit costs more then Aisin? Wow...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Continental kits are frequently on sale on Rockauto in fact.

I know that they use chinese bearings after I purchased and used their serpentine belt tensioner years ago. They hid the chinese bearing for the tensioner bearing that's already bolted down. The serpentine belt tensioner's tensioner bearing started spraying grease out short of only 2 years. When this type of thing happen, you start looking into why it happens by disassembling the part, then you discovers the truth. I emailed Continental with evidence picture and never received a response, because every company is just trying to save a buck while making their parts like OEM, but they are far from OEM.

If you want to save money, get yourself a Koyo tensioner pulley. If you don't see an orange/brown outer bearing seal, don't use it.

Please post a picture of the front face f that tensioner pulley also.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Here are a couple of pictures of a Koyo timing belt adjuster from an Aisin kit for a CL-S6:

There are no clear manufacturer 'markings' on the metal TB adjuster arm itself; however, Koyo is clearly shown on the
rubber bearing cover.
In addition, from the video above, the manufacturer of the 'Continental' adjuster arm's inner silver sleeve(s) must not have the same machined tolerances to mate snuggly with the OEM auto adjuster collar; thus, the slack movement shown on the video. Especially if the timing belt adjuster bolt has been properly torqued to 19lb-ft.

Last edited by zeta; 05-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Is my timing belt adjuster ok?