Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My radio volume turns all the way down when I turn my wheel to the right

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 11:23 AM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My radio volume turns all the way down when I turn my wheel to the right

Very random. I have an 2005 Acura TL. When i turn my wheel to the far right, my radio just turns all the way down to 0. I dont even touch the volume knob. And its only when i turn to the right. This just started happening again yesterday. Its happened in the past and somehow and randomly it just stopped doing that and worked correctly. Not sure what made it start up again..
Old 04-09-2023, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
The TL has volume control buttons mounted on the steering wheel, assuming you're not accidentally pushing on them while you turn, you possibly have a faulty steering wheel volume switch. If not a wiring fault within the steering wheel.

Do the +/- volume buttons feel weak compared to the cruise control speed adjustment buttons? Is it more common when you brake hard while turning or just when you dry steer?
Old 04-09-2023, 02:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hello thank you for answering back to my post! So those buttons on my steering wheel are not working at the moment. I do believe there is an issue with the wiring cause in the past sometimes my cruise control would randomly turn on and off and i wouldnt even press the button (and if i did press the button nothing happened)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Ah okay, if your cruise control is ghosting along with your volume then you definitely have a wiring fault. I suspect most likely the cable reel within the steering wheel clockspring wearing out, although it could be just within the wiring harness itself (Which would be easier to fix). You'll have to remove the airbag to inspect the wiring harness. Unplugging the steering wheel cable connector should fix it although you'll lose all steering button input. Disabling the white connector does not impact the airbag or horn. The connector is white and seen at this time stamp

If this does not fix it you'll likely cable reel within the clockspring which would be a royal PITA. Hope this helps.

I am curious though, do the steering wheel lights being on have any impact on when this occurs?