Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my parents letting me pick a car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by layzie
You guys should seriously lay off this kid. This forum is for Acura enthusiasts and for those that want to help one another. When this kid comes to this forum and gets criticised, how is this helping. Think of it this way, if he just came in and asked, "of these two, which would you choose?" everything would be fine. So stick on topic, everyone will not come into a conensus with regards to their perspectives, so it's pointless arguing. Just deal with reality, there are the rich and the poor, and the middle class. Some are better off than others and thats that. So to answer his MAIN question, I would choose the BMW. Although a bit pricier, I really like the stiffness of the steering wheel, the simple interior, exterior is really sexy especially the angel eyes that moves in the direction that you turn, and handling. As for the TL, I would get it for the navigation. I also really like the blue dashboard. It really depends, I view the TL as more of a techy car as compared to the BMW. I hope you find the right one for you.
He's got a very valid point. Most of you just cannot deal with reality and the fact that there are the poor, the middle class and the rich. So some people have it easier than others, deal with it - not everyone can get everything they want. Maybe he is a really good kid and for his parents, spending $35K is not much. Money and wealth is relative to one's financial position. For me, the people who have criticized this kid are the ones who need to go back to high school so that they can get together and enjoy their "b*tching" sessions. Or better yet, go to MTV and ask them to make a show about you guys, so that you can sound like the people on Laguna Beach or something.

Now back to the original question - as Layzie said, the BMW is definitely more fun to drive. The handling and general feel of the car is just unbeatable. I drive a 325i 6MT and have driven my friend's 330i 6MT as well. Both are a lot of fun to drive and you can really feel the pedigree of the car when going on long drives. The leather is of top quality, the audio system in the 330i (Logic7) is excellent, the steering wheel is nice and crisp, and the interior is simple yet effective. The TL is a car I really considered though. I really love the look of the car and a reason I would really buy it is because it seems one of a kind - not a design you can replicate. Furthermore, the navigation and the interior lighting is just amazing. It's so much fun to play around with. You can also improve on the TL's handling by upgrading your suspension over time and thus enjoy driving a little quicker around curvy roads more. The TL is also bigger and so the rear occupants can enjoy more leg room which also allows you to maintain a comfortable position in the driver's seat. When I have tall friends in my BMW I have to move up my seat sometimes. Nevertheless, given a choice I would def. have to go with the BMW. BMW Assist (something you get with the premium package) is really helpful and if you sign up for the concierge service you can make them book tickets, restaurants and/or hotels for you (among other things). There are also a lot of after market products starting to come out for the car now which is making owning it a very fun experience. At the end of the day I had to sit down and decide whether I wanted a car with which I could play around in or with which I could have fun driving in. I opted for the second because that is more important to me. Hope this helps, let us know what you decided on.

(One word of caution: Don't get the iDrive + Nav in the BMW - it sucks. I'd rather go with an aftermarket nav option if you need one at all).
Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
FOR SALE - BM

cathmag, if i were you and my parents wanted to buy me a car, def go with the G35 coupe and dump 30K into the engine... thats a hot car...
Old 05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

I still think that you're making a poor choice as your solo car. If the TL aspec was my only car I would not have purchased it. Too slow and uninspiring from a driving standpoint.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kanishkl
(One word of caution: Don't get the iDrive + Nav in the BMW - it sucks. I'd rather go with an aftermarket nav option if you need one at all).
What is iDrive? Is that the Steptronic or Active Steering?
And why are you recommending to avoid the iDrive?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A_UFO
What is iDrive? Is that the Steptronic or Active Steering?
And why are you recommending to avoid the iDrive?
iDrive is the name of BMW's navigation system that many think is overly complicated to use
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Future JDM Whore

wow wat a thread....i guess some people are fortunate enough to be raised in a rich family so u really cant blame the kid...me lol i not so fortunate i dont even have a job and i manage to maintain my shit but watever go for the a-spec all the way its hot and luxurious mang go with the TL
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM
NY/NJ TL Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a TL, but i was in a friends 330CI with the performance package yesterday on stick and oooo boy is that car fun to drive. Definately go with that. He had the Mpackage which just made it that much nicer
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
3rd Gear

The 330ci is the old e46 body style. He is looking at the E90 330i which is the new body style so you can't really compare the two. Furthermore, can't get the Mpackage on the e90.

Originally Posted by arseny87
I have a TL, but i was in a friends 330CI with the performance package yesterday on stick and oooo boy is that car fun to drive. Definately go with that. He had the Mpackage which just made it that much nicer
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
bottom line is, he'll never apprieciate the car as much as most of us do, putting all our hard earned cash in it.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Cathmag,

Good luck with your decision. Yes there are a lot of opinions here but take them with a grain of salt. You are blessed and don't forget that.

Leedog does have some good points though (and so do some of the others here).

Get what makes you happy and enjoy it.

Cheers!
-Lee
Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by o2cls
bottom line is, he'll never apprieciate the car as much as most of us do, putting all our hard earned cash in it.
Which is true, but he'll probably appreciate a new 911 Turbo or SL55 or 645 later on when he has enough money to buy one. He's fortunate (in a good way), to start off with a BMW or a TL, while most of us here probably started with Civics or Corolla level cars. There's nothing wrong with it in being fortunate. At least he's not showing off about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Racer

Well I'd like to know if this helped at all, how is it lookin as of now Cathmag.

Has this helped you any at all? If so, what are you leanin towards getting?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

look at the TSX fun to drive factor is much higher than the TL.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bibby
At least he's not showing off about it.

very true, he could be this guy....

Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,905 Likes on 3,797 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

Nah....That guy only has 10.5K. A TL is WAAAAYYYY more than that.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
hahahahahaha

I was reading that thread the other day - priceless.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

That's cute...
Lucky for all the haters out there, that guy will probably not be lucky enough see thirty. After a few busts these guys end up dead, in jail, or working in McDonald with thier flat brimmed G-Unit hat on sideways.

Thsi is silly... as stated earlier, I too had two choices... take the bus or get job. I'm doing exceptionally well now and have a garage full of toys, only at 31... but as a father, no way will my daughter be handed things like many of the kids here. It's irresponsible as a parent to put a totally inexpereinced driver behind the wheel of a 260+ HP car... You might as well make it a full house and throw in a Kawasaki 1400 sportbike too. Have fun with that.
It's exceptionally irresponsible as a parent to hand things to your kids without making them earn it. As a former Marine I sometimes wonder what the hell we're defending... but we all know America loves to hate spoiled rich kids.

Sucks that all the old crotchity guys feel the need to weigh in here, welcome to internet forums.

Good look with your new 330 kid, I hope you don't put it inthe ditch.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Racer

i got my tl before i had a full licence
Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I would go with the TL. Lets be honest since Chris Bengel took over BMW's deisgn team the cars look like crap. Plus BMW's are over complicated electronical nightmares.

I love my 04 TL and am looking foward to upgrade depending on what happens with the 07's, unless they switch to AWD, then I will start looking elsewhere.

And just to continue the spoiled rants, my first car at 17 was a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix which my parents paid half for. By 18 I traded it in for a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (I know, Big Mistake!) which I paid for myself. And at 19 I got my 04 TL, and again I am paying for it. Do I think I was spoiled by my parents? Absolutly. Even though I was able to afford my vehicles by running my parents business, I can say with absolute certinty that they spoiled the shit out of me with my first car. Because it wasn't until my father almost killed me due to my "I'm better than you are" attitude, that I realized the nicer things in life don't come easy, and you don't respect what you haven't had to bust your ass for.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gdfthr
I would go with the TL. Lets be honest since Chris Bengel took over BMW's deisgn team the cars look like crap. Plus BMW's are over complicated electronical nightmares.

I love my 04 TL and am looking foward to upgrade depending on what happens with the 07's, unless they switch to AWD, then I will start looking elsewhere.

And just to continue the spoiled rants, my first car at 17 was a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix which my parents paid half for. By 18 I traded it in for a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (I know, Big Mistake!) which I paid for myself. And at 19 I got my 04 TL, and again I am paying for it. Do I think I was spoiled by my parents? Absolutly. Even though I was able to afford my vehicles by running my parents business, I can say with absolute certinty that they spoiled the shit out of me with my first car. Because it wasn't until my father almost killed me due to my "I'm better than you are" attitude, that I realized the nicer things in life don't come easy, and you don't respect what you haven't had to bust your ass for.
great first post! welcome!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Much wisdom here.....
-Lee
Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can someone provide me with that guy address? I need some $$ for my TL Mods...anyone want to come with me..LOL
Old 05-31-2006, 06:25 AM
Racer

...... Because it wasn't until my father almost killed me due to my "I'm better than you are" attitude, that I realized the nicer things in life don't come easy, and you don't respect what you haven't had to bust your ass for.
Great comments.

I've made disparaging comments to some of the younger members regarding being "given" nice cars by their parents, which were really out of line. The comments should really be directed to the parents.

It's the total lack of responsibility shown by some of these "kids" that is troublesome, be it racing, ethical issues (screwing the dealerships), or just general knowldge about caring and driving for cars. I've seen way too many "little rich kids" kill themselves and innocent victims, by getting over their heads in a hot car.

You really appreciate something unless you work for it. That can be as simple as achieving good grades in school. Unfortunately. a lot of people today just throw money at their kids to:

a) keep up with the Jones; and

b) placate the guilt they feel for never spending time with their kids. The insecurity shown by parents these days is frightening.

As a parent, you really want to give your kids everything. The hard part is drawing the line between giving them what they want and what they need.

Enough of the social commentary!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:11 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by imrantl
hey if the kids parents are letting him get the tl let him. when i got my license at age 17 i got a brand new 2005 toyota 4runner sport edition. now at age 19 they purchased a 2006 tl. i think i earned these cars. things change while generations change. you cant say that when i was 17 i had a old civic or an old car. we understand, but back than it wasnt as easy as financing a car as it is today. Kids expectations are way too high these days, especially with all these reality shows like my sweet 16.
Ahhh, the voice of reason...
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Race Director

hes got a better chance to die in a 1976 civic then a 330i. Kids will drive fast regardless of the car their in, might as well be in a safe one.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
hes got a better chance to die in a 1976 civic then a 330i. Kids will drive fast regardless of the car their in, might as well be in a safe one.
So true..at least he'll be in a car that can handle the speed. I used to drive a 99 Dodge Durango. I let my friend drive home from the shore cause I was passed out - that fuck hit 117 on the parkway I thought the wheels were gonna fall off.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
So true..at least he'll be in a car that can handle the speed. I used to drive a 99 Dodge Durango. I let my friend drive home from the shore cause I was passed out - that fuck hit 117 on the parkway I thought the wheels were gonna fall off.
Scary, truly scary.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Scary, truly scary.
agreed
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Just chillen..

I didnt read the whole post cuz the damn thing is 8 pages butl Im 17 turning 18 in December, my first car was a 1994 Chrylser Concorde ( PEICE OF SHIT ), but that was my mothers old car at first. With my money I repainted the car, and put a system in there. Well now I got a 1999 TL, in perfect condition. Im now just hitting 70K. It was my aunts car and she sold it to me for 10G. My parents paid half, and now Im currently working paying the car off. Pops said that, if I dont pay at all, he takes the keys away.. Im working 30 Hours a week and all. So it all depends on the child too on how the child will be responsible..
Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Racer

im not going to lie, i am spoiled and i admit. at age 17 i had a brand new 2005 4runner sport edition with every single option, and now at age 19 i have a 2006 tl. but cars were my interest ever since i was a kid
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

im not going to lie, i am spoiled and i admit. at age 17 i had a brand new 2005 4runner sport edition with every single option, and now at age 19 i have a 2006 tl. but cars were my interest ever since i was a kid

:ibpttl:
Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, this thread went from gay to pathetic.

Now it's about "my friends have multiple 50+ grand cars."

Then what are YOU doing in a TL?

Yeah, I'm talking to you, ka0tik. Let's brag about friends' cars. That makes you look really cool.

But I suppose it can't be helped. You are, what, still in high school?

It's like a fight about who has the biggest cock, except you guys are talking about your friends' cocks.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I think EVERYONE needs to STFU and get back on topic......its getting rediculous.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Newbie for Life

Yeah, nobody caught that the FIRST TIME you said it. Anything else you wanna brag about?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Coming to soon to a theater near this thread: THE LOCK!!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh yeah, and I would get the TL if I were in the OP's position.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Yeah, nobody caught that the FIRST TIME you said it. Anything else you wanna brag about?

no need to brag about anything, just trying to get my point across
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Newbie for Life

no need to brag about anything, just trying to get my point across
Really? I guess it's a big thread and you needed to get your point across TWICE that you first had a 2005 BLAH-BLAH-BLAH at age 17 and now you have a 2006 BLAH-BLAH-BLAH at age 19.

As*hat...
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
wow... Really and truly time to close this bastard down.... I think the original poster got the idea and his questions answered.....

Time to do the dance
Old 05-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

yeah, you're probably right. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Quick Reply: my parents letting me pick a car