get a rsx and call it a day
Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ask for both
Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
6speed NBP

This is a forum for the Acura enthusiasts not the lifestyle judgements lets just answer this guys question as if he was just any other guy asking the same question in the past.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro

When did buying a 17 yo, a $35k-$45k car become NOT a big deal. Maybe I'm just getting old at 30 (just having bought my first new car ever, 06 TL), but exactly when did kids still in high school being handed cars like this become so "normal"
Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM
6speed NBP

ahh you guys just cant stop... It depends on where you live.

if your in a rich area then why not, i guess the parents dont want to have benz and bmw in their drive way and then a 1995 honda civic shows up cause the kid needs a car.. Am guessing the parents just wants to show their class if they have the money then its no big deal to them.

when i was in high school i had my grandpa's old pathfinder but the parking lot was filled with bmws, STIs, and the most expensive car that porsche suv turbo thing.

Life is life unfair.... Now lets get on with it
Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
You need to grow some thicker skin young one.

I didn't read all of the post about this subject, but did try and read most of the ones posted showing the age of late teens to early 20's. The spelling and grammar from most of these posts don't show doing well in school. You were not the only one.

But from age you learn tack, so I won't directly try and insult you. It was merely an observation, young one.
Your grammar is far from flawless.

Anyway, I don't see why everyone is giving him a hard time. What kid in their right mind would turn down an offer like this? I don't think you're going to talk him into choosing a less expensive car. I can't really say which car to go with...I can tell you that I recently got a TL - I love it.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Good for you and congratulations!

Getting either car does not make someone spoiled, its how one acts that defines your character. The question is how will you act? Will you show it off? Brag about it? Believe you are better than the poor slob driving the 1996 Taurus? or Drive really fast believing the car and you are invincible? Or will you be Grateful, humble and respectful when you drive? Its up to you.

So here is my challenge, get a job and make payments to yourself and put them in a savings account/mutual fund. See if you can make the estmated monthly payment on either car you choose with car insurance and any other misc expenses. Even if you can't swing the whole expense pick an amount and stick to it. Here is the benefit. First, you will appreciate and understand the real costs in buying and owning a car. Second, you will have some serious cash building and working for your future. Finally, if you can manage the payments, you will know that even though mom and dad payed for it , you could have done it yourself with the proof in the bank.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Damn common in my area to see HS kids driving nice cars. Heck, the kids's parking lot have a lot better cars than the teacher's parking lot. In fact, one level higher, the University around here, there are probably more Porsche, Bimmer, and MB than the normal Honda, Toyota, and American combined. I don't have either of those high end cars, I stick with my Acura, even myself sometimes wonder how they can afford. But if they can afford it, it is good for them and there's nothing wrong with it. So it depends on where you live. Answer the guy's question in terms of which vehicle he should pick...damn it!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

I went to the "ghetto" HS in my area. That meant my peers were driving new civic, jettas and the like. The rich school in my area kids were regularly gifted their parent's old Benzes, BMWs and Jags. It was considered normal in such a affluent area.

For those who call the kid spoiled get over yourself. He asked for advice on the car, not judgement of his parents' child rearing skills. If his parents choose to give him the car, bully for him. If he gets the car and wraps it around a pole, oh well. I don't see how that is any different from the 30 and 40 year olds on here who have done the same.

In the end the TL is a somewhat excessive car for a 16 year old. But, then again we live in America were excess and conspicuos consumption is a national pastime. He is getting an early start. I actually hope the kid gets a fully loaded IS350 (IMHO a better car than the TL), comes back here, and boasts about it.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well milk the parents for everything you can get....tell them you want the BMW. It's going to get wrecked anyway, so you might as well wreck in style with that BMW emblem putting it's mark in the tree. Also, everyone at school will think you are cool driving a BMW, even if Daddy paid for it. Are they going to buy the gas too??
Old 05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Instructor

When I was in high school not too long ago, the student parking lot was filled with BMW 325s and Lexus RX300s. Did it make me envious? Not really. I just took personal pride in knowing that my 1995 Infiniti G20 wasn't given to me, but rather the result of saving money from two summers of working. If you can get your parents to give you a nice car, good for you. Just don't flaunt it excessively. And I'd get the BMW personally, or if you live in an area with snow, get a 330xi or Audi A4Q.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Instructor

When many of the cars in the HS lot is full of BMW, Lexus, Audis, and MBs....then if he gets the BMW...it doesn't make him any flashier than the common...it's the standard in the area.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:34 PM
aw1
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cathmag
Hello, I have been reading about the TL and I really like it. They are letting me pick a car as a present and I have narrowed the choice to an 2006 Acura TL - Aspec and the or the 2006 BMW 330. I am 17 and I was wondering what you all think is the best car for someone at my age range?

Lucky you. If I was in your position, I would go for the Bimmer. Get the 4 door since you are in the age range of heading off to college. However, either choice is good.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JetJock
Might as well milk the parents for everything you can get....tell them you want the BMW. It's going to get wrecked anyway, so you might as well wreck in style with that BMW emblem putting it's mark in the tree. Also, everyone at school will think you are cool driving a BMW, even if Daddy paid for it. Are they going to buy the gas too??
I'm glad that so many of you are sure he's going to wrap whichever car he gets around a telephone pole or tree. How nice.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Pro

ok, you have to judge the car you own by where you live. here in Newport beach (at my dads house) and laguna beach (at my moms house) 16 year olds get anywhere from $15,000 cars to $100,000. A TL really isnt that fast compared to some of the other cars teenagers drive daily to school, ie: posche turbo s, e55 amg, 330ci, 645ci, m3, supercharged nsx, and a number of very fast SUV's like landrover sport or fx45. there still are less expensive not as nice cars like gti's and a number of mid 90's cars. But the average car is a $30,000 car like a c230 or an a4
Old 05-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Even though I don't see the sense in it, if your parents want to buy you a car I say go for the BMW. Pretty much a no brainer to me when your folks are picking up the tab. If you actually appreciate it and take care of it, you'll show a lot more maturity than most in your situation.

What I don't get is the parents that came from nothing and worked their butts off to become very successful then spoil their kids. I know there is the idea of wanting to give your kids a better life, but do they really not see that their humble beginnings had a huge part to do with their ambition. work ethic and success?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by JERU
Did you read my post or did you scan it? Did you say the same thing that I did? Just want to make sure because your reply did not make an ounce of sense. Reading is not that hard of a activity if you pay attention....
I can say the exact same thing about your reply. Just because I quote what you said does not mean that I am responding directly to you. I was agreeing with your point, a newer (possibly less expensive) car would be better in many ways, but since he gets to pick he wanted opinions on the car, not life lessons about responsibility and hard work.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
10th Gear

Well, I don't think I am spoiled. I see parents buying their kids cars worth more than 50k. Come on this isn't a Ferrari. When I hit 18 and starting college, I hope to be working at my first job also. I know kids who never worked a day in their lives and living off mom and dad when they are 23-24.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey cathmag, where do you live? I'd definitely take that into consideration when picking a car.

Although I'd rather have a RWD car, I took that into consideration when picking a car. I live in North Jersey, and my Mother's G35 coupe wouldn't drive if there was any snow on the ground, period. I'm sure a good set of snow tires would help, but if you HAVE to be somewhere everyday it's important to have a vehicle that can get you there.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

I think it is nobody's business whether your parents want to buy you a new TL or BMW 330. I think there is a little too much envy going on around here. I did not buy a new car until I was in my early 30's. I am now 47 and I just bought my first "luxury" car, a 2006 TL. Nevertheless, it does not bother me in the least that you can get a nice car at 17. I have passed down my last three cars to my son for free, and if I could have afforded it, I would have bought him a new car.

As far as what car to get, it depends on what you want and where do you live. They are both excellent cars. I think the BMW will be a little better in handling and performance (just based on specs and reviews). If you live in an area where it snows, you should get the 330xi (AWD). However, the TL does have better ergonomic design and the interior is just better looking than the BMW IMHO (most people that I know that have the 330 with i-drive and the big knob in the center console simply hate it).

Whatever decision you make, you will not be dissapointed. And both cars will get you chicks...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Where do you live?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:48 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I don't think I am spoiled. I see parents buying their kids cars worth more than 50k. Come on this isn't a Ferrari. When I hit 18 and starting college, I hope to be working at my first job also. I know kids who never worked a day in their lives and living off mom and dad when they are 23-24.
Hate to say it. Getting a brand new TL/ BMW when you're 16 for free is the definition of being spoiled. What did you do to "earn" a $35k+ cars at 16? Stayed in school? Getting good grades? Stayed drug free?

Those other parents who give their kids more than 50k+ cars just spoil their kids more than your parents.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
At the school I school I attend, there are many adolescents of your age who drive "nicer" cars. I see new Civics, Jettas, Camrys, and Accords, as well as a few "near new" CLs, TLs, and TSXs on a daily basis. I also have a friend of your age who drives a "near new" LX470.

It's not a crime to have a near-luxury sedan in high school, but you'll certainly invite constructive criticism from others (older) who may have different views on what a person of your age should drive. I'm not sure what you're needing your car for, but for basic transportation for a person of your age, you should give serious consideration towards purchasing a less expensive car.

But to answer your original question, I would pick the TL solely because of its FWD flexibility for various climates and the possibility of lower repair costs once out-of-warranty.

If you're interested
Old 05-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by kennyc
Hate to say it. Getting a brand new TL/ BMW when you're 16 for free is the definition of being spoiled. What did you do to "earn" a $35k+ cars at 16? Stayed in school? Getting good grades? Stayed drug free?

Those other parents who give their kids more than 50k+ cars just spoil their kids more than your parents.

While we are not here to judge whether he did/didn't earn the car, I agree that's it's pure excess. Maybe the parents want to have the knowledge that he is safe in a car. Well a good driver/student will usually fair teenage driving better than bad/rebelling teenager in a luxury sedan.

As I said, I drove to HS in a crappy Fairmont. When I got the Taurus wagon with power windows and door locks I thought I was in heaven. At that time my dad had enough cash to buy 5 or 6 F1s straight out - but he still drives a frickin Taurus. I told him to at least get a MB C class but he refused - and considering my dad's piss poor reflexes both the Taurus and MB are about equal in safety ratings.

I'm not envious. I am judgemental. I've been to other countries and seen people begging for items Americans throw in the trash every day. I say take $5K of the car $, run around Asia or Africa this summer vacation, and if you don't feel bad "wasting" $15K of excess money that could help a charity fund or something - well then get the car. I just think a 16 year old (or his parents for that matter) don't understand the value of $.

Yeah I bought a TL when I could have spent $15K in charities and just got a Civic, but I've been doing charity work since I was kid (as a physician I still volunteer 10+ hours/week) so I feel I have earned it.

This thread seems like a ranting zone (and I'm contributing to the mess), but I see some of the ideas in here as to why Americans are hated around the world (for those wondering I was born and raised SoCal).

So if you had to pick 1 - pick the TL and see if the parents will fund a vacation during college. Roadtrips during college are fun
Old 05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
is cuteness

I beg to differ! You talk about money as though it grows on trees! Is a 30+ K car not enough for you? I have been working since I was 14, and it really taught me the value of a dollar. Starting work at minimum wage made me realize how hard it was for my parents to earn a living here. I mean I did receive help from my parents for my TSX, but I am so utterly grateful. You don't learn anything from having your parents hand you a car, you are just taking away from that "I bought a car with my own money" essence.

But if I were you, I would start off with used car just like I did. I have been driving my parents 95 camry for the last 2.5 years, and I just got my TSX 3 weeks ago.

And I thought I was spoiled!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:37 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

why cant you guys just get together and help him decide on what to get instead of roasting us, im 19 i started off driving the rents 02 4runner when i got my license and i EARNED MY TL! I worked and saved up and bought it last march and if my parents said theyd buy me a tl i wouldve taken it but i still respect the fact that they trusted me with thier 4runner which was BRAND NEW, well almost just a few months old now thas got my sound system and tv and nothing in my TL but all i have to say is get the TL youll love it, jus dont beat it take care of it man
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

by the way dont go at it with me on my grammar and spelling, this is the internet im use to typing liek this unless i have to do a good job aight.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by harminder247
by the way dont go at it with me on my grammar and spelling, this is the internet im use to typing liek this unless i have to do a good job aight.
at least you recognize that
Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by deep_spaceus
Whatever decision you make, you will not be dissapointed. And both cars will get you chicks...
at my school a 3 series is considered a chick car since a lot of the girls have them.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
You need to grow some thicker skin young one.

I didn't read all of the post about this subject, but did try and read most of the ones posted showing the age of late teens to early 20's. The spelling and grammar from most of these posts don't show doing well in school. You were not the only one.

But from age you learn tack, so I won't directly try and insult you. It was merely an observation, young one.

Tact dummy.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:02 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,974 Likes on 3,839 Posts
Originally Posted by juicygirljen
I beg to differ! You talk about money as though it grows on trees! Is a 30+ K car not enough for you? I have been working since I was 14, and it really taught me the value of a dollar. Starting work at minimum wage made me realize how hard it was for my parents to earn a living here. I mean I did receive help from my parents for my TSX, but I am so utterly grateful. You don't learn anything from having your parents hand you a car, you are just taking away from that "I bought a car with my own money" essence.

But if I were you, I would start off with used car just like I did. I have been driving my parents 95 camry for the last 2.5 years, and I just got my TSX 3 weeks ago.

And I thought I was spoiled!

Out of the mouth of a wise young person. Chronology has nothing to to with wisdom. Juicygirljen has youth AND wisdom. She will ultimately have success in her life, because she understands worth. Having worked for minimum wage, she knows the value of a dollar, and has EARNED the right to respond to the, dare I say, spoiled young OP.

As an earlier poster said - it is easy to see why Americans, and America in general, are hated throughout the world. I personally couldn't care less if the OP even has a car. The principles here are the larger issue. It's sad that not everyone sees that. If everyone in America had to earn something, in order to have it, maybe we wouldn't be so arrogant and wasteful a people. We might actually appreciate the occasional extravgance that we would be able to treat ourselves to.

Good for you jen. It's refreshing to see that there is some youthful wisdom, left in the country. Have fun with your TSX, and drive carefully. The future does rest on you.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
I'm glad that so many of you are sure he's going to wrap whichever car he gets around a telephone pole or tree. How nice.
This post is great! Amazing really.......Young people pay higher insurance rates because the wreck their cars more often. So according to the statistics...yes.

-Lee
Old 05-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Racer

Hello, I have been reading about the TL and I really like it. They are letting me pick a car as a present and I have narrowed the choice to an 2006 Acura TL - Aspec and the or the 2006 BMW 330. I am 17 and I was wondering what you all think is the best car for someone at my age range?
I assume you have reviewed both cars online. Now it is time to for you to have a test drive. Nothing can replace looking at the car's exterior and interior in person. How does it feel when you sit in the car? Which car's interior do you like best? Which car do you enjoy driving more? (That does not mean fast.)

Only you can decide.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Racer

wow, a thread with a little kid deciding on what car to purchase has 5 pages, but yet my thread with my wdp tl with 20 inch zenetti deuces and tein ss coilovers only ended up with one page.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Back on topic here. Test drive both cars and see which one you like better. There are pro's and con's with each one. I personally would choose the TL as it has more standard features and is cheaper to mod.

Btw, when I was 16 I had a 1977 Mecury Zephyr wagon with a 351. It peeled out and did great donuts.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:36 PM
is cuteness

Originally Posted by pttl
Out of the mouth of a wise young person. Chronology has nothing to to with wisdom. Juicygirljen has youth AND wisdom. She will ultimately have success in her life, because she understands worth. Having worked for minimum wage, she knows the value of a dollar, and has EARNED the right to respond to the, dare I say, spoiled young OP.

As an earlier poster said - it is easy to see why Americans, and America in general, are hated throughout the world. I personally couldn't care less if the OP even has a car. The principles here are the larger issue. It's sad that not everyone sees that. If everyone in America had to earn something, in order to have it, maybe we wouldn't be so arrogant and wasteful a people. We might actually appreciate the occasional extravgance that we would be able to treat ourselves to.

Good for you jen. It's refreshing to see that there is some youthful wisdom, left in the country. Have fun with your TSX, and drive carefully. The future does rest on you.
Thank you!
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Such hostility in here. My first car was a 1989 Plymouth Voyager when I was 18. Took a bus and got rides most of my time in HS. But, get whatever you want. Both cars are great for their own reasns. Check them both out and decide. I would definitely wait, however, for a new car. Go used for a bit to get the hang of the cars. Some experience under your belt never hurts.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by asu_lee
This post is great! Amazing really.......Young people pay higher insurance rates because the wreck their cars more often. So according to the statistics...yes.

-Lee
I'm aware of this (being a young male driver), and while it's true that young people crash their cars more often, that does not mean that cathmag will. I was just commenting on how pessimistic the posters seem to be - they're almost positive he'll wreck it.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro

Haha, i cant get enough of how funny this thread is. A lot of the older (30-40+) posters in this thread think they are so mature, they dont realize that it is immature to be arguing with young adults by spitting insults at them. Im not saying that i am mature.

oh and about using correct grammar, most of the older posters dont even use correct grammar. so its a bad idea to bring up grammar unless its absolutely atrocious.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by pttl

So, the logic goes that if Americans spent less money on extravagance, then the whole world would love us more and be better.

Well, Americans do waste and spend on extravagance more than any other country in the world. But this is good. Let's say we just all bought cheap Ford Focus cars. Acura, BMW, etc. go out of business, the people that make Acura's and Beemers loose their jobs. Farmers that provide cows for the leather in the car interiors go out of business. The people that pick rubber for tires and other rubber parts in Brazil or Indonesia or wherever this stuff comes from loose their income. Most of the people that have a job in China or Taiwan or wherever that make the sophisticated electronic components loose their jobs. etc. etc. etc. Suddenly, because we are less extravagant, poverty around the world just shoots up. And this is only cars. The fact is that since we buy these things we are actually helping the world and sharing the wealth. Millions of people around the world depend on our waste and extravagance.

Do I sometimes feel guilty about the fact that I can drive a TL while a child in Africa is starving? Of course I do. But this is a fact of life in this imperfect world. There is no easy explanation as to why one thrives and another starves. I can do some things to help, but should I or this kid be deprived of driving a TL just because others have less than us? I lived for twelve years in Bolivia, South America, and believe me I have seen real poverty. I have done my best to help, and to this day I send money every month to charities.

The fact that this kid is going to get a 35K+ car should not be held up as an example of "American extravagant spending" or "hatred of America" or anything else. We do not know this kid. I have known 17 year olds that were much wiser and more mature than many 45 year olds that I know. You cannot be so judgmental without enough information. And if the kid is a spoiled brat that does not deserve the car, then that is the judgment of his parents. You can judge the parents, but do not judge the kid.

Quick Reply: my parents letting me pick a car