Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my parents letting me pick a car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,974 Likes on 3,839 Posts
Originally Posted by cathmag
To answer everyones question here, my parents will be paying for insurance etc. Work, I just go to school, I haven't worked yet. I don't think I am spoiled, it is just a present that my parents want to give me.

"I don't think I am spoiled"
Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on second thought. spend 15K on that 1970 Caddy. Pimp out like Supafly's and you will have the most unique car in the lot at school!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
10th Gear

Leedog: I am talking a big Cadillac built like a tank made in the 70's. I think those could go head on in any car made today and win.
KoiBoi:I did my research I am thinking about picking the A=Spec with Automatic Transmission.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Instructor

To answer everyones question here, my parents will be paying for insurance etc. Work, I just go to school, I haven't worked yet. I don't think I am spoiled, it is just a present that my parents want to give me. Of course, if I get into an accident, an old 1970 Cadillac that weighs more than 2 TLs, together will protect me better than a TL.
it's always funny and amusing to see the reactions of people when young kids put up comments about how their parents are buying them a car...... just because you buy your kid a car doesn't mean that you are spoiling them......plus if they wanted to spoil a kid i dont think TL qualifies as a car to "spoil" a kid........look around......everyone i mean EVERYONE is driving a TL these days......anyway cathmag, if you are not BSing about your parents buying you a car, go with beammer.......too many TLs out there, plus TL model's gonna change this year.....good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

SJK:The model is going to change? I thought it just was put out in 2004. SHouldn't the model change occure 2008-2009?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Hate to throw more ideas in the mix but have you considered the IS250 or IS350. I hated Lexus's for the longest time but when those two came out I started drooling. I think they beat the TL in the looks department. They also come in RWD or 4WD. Just a thought.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 Acura TL - Aspec and the or the 2006 BMW 330. I am 17 and I was wondering what you all think is the best car for someone at my age range?
out of the 2? what would be the best at your age range?

TL? FWD?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I got a TL as a present from my parents. I also had the choice of the TL or 330i and picked the TL because it was cheaper. If i were you and your parents have no problem paying 40K+ for the bimmer, get the 330i, or better yet, wait for the 335i which should be only slightly more expensive.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Instructor

SJK:The model is going to change? I thought it just was put out in 2004. SHouldn't the model change occure 2008-2009?
well nobody knows for sure what is going to happen to 2007 model of TL but this year would be fourth year production and usually Acura puts out a minor "refresh" on the 4th year production of TL......while no one knows if it's going to be a minor or major "refresh", it seems like there's gonna be a definite change come november
Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They should get you this TL and have you work for the rest of it.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Racer

Two things. At that age and the desire to have road feel so you can sport around, I would get the BMW. I have had a Bimmer and now a TL and I loved the sportiness of the BMW. Being older, I covet the creature comforts of the TL over the BMW (or the cost to get equal creature comforts in the bimmer). Don't get me wrong, the TL handles well but the BMW makes you feel like you are connected to the road. Also at that age, you do not have to worry about interior room for a car seat, etc. And if you interior is smaller, you wont always be the 'driver' when going places.

One thing to note. Having such a nice car in HS will get you some unwanted attention. Back in HS (many, many, many years ago) I had one of the nicer cars in the lot (worked hard for), and of course someone says I talked sh*t about someone else (which was not true), and that person goes straight for my car and kicks the fender between classes. It cost me some bucks to fix but it was funny to see my friend kick his ass when another round of rumors went around about him talking sh*t about my friend. Ahh... high school memories.....
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjkforever
well nobody knows for sure what is going to happen to 2007 model of TL but this year would be fourth year production and usually Acura puts out a minor "refresh" on the 4th year production of TL......while no one knows if it's going to be a minor or major "refresh", it seems like there's gonna be a definite change come november
Yes he is right. The 07 will be different, not "all-new" but just a refresh. So whether you pick the bimmer or the TL, wait until the end of the year so that you can choose between the 07 TL with a refresh and little bump in power and also the 07 335i. Be patient....
Old 05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

1963 Chevy Biscayne. No seatbelts, no side mirrors, no radio, manual steering, bias-ply tires, an inline six and 3 speed manual on the column. Safety features were that it was built like a tank with a 0-60 of about 30 sec and a top speed of 70 mph. I guess I was spoiled because my parent bought it for me AND paid the insurance.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
dont mean to sound like a dick, but id recommend you get something with a little less power
Are you kidding? Power... Dont buy a tl if you are looking for power, that is what they lack, but it is a lux. car, so power isnt neccessary. I sold my 3000gt vr4 for my tl (btw, 425hp with bpu). My parents didnt pay for anything, as a matter of fact, I owe $8400 after selling my vr4. If you want power and something that is expensive, look at the vr4. But 12mpg around town, and "non serviceable" trannys are not for me. I bought the tl as a daily driver, and I think that kids should get a job and work for thier cars, so they have more respect for it, and not just pout and cry to thier parents when it is in need of repair.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Cath: I got the same thing when I got my TL. I was 17 and in HS. Im now 19 with my 04 TL. I like it but I myself would go for something else. If you aspec the car it comes to near $40,000. IMO its just not worth $40,000. How much are they willing to spend? If they are willing to go higher get a Lexus GS. I find it to be the nicest driving car around 50k. (My mom has a 06). If you have to stay around the same price, look at a Lexus IS or G35 Coupe. (I just dont like the 4 door).

I love having these discussions on what to buy. Send me a private message if you want to discuss it. I wont call you spoiled lol. I got the car at the same are you are now.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Get the unsafe one..or the one that's unsafer of the two. Because when you crash and burn, atleast you'll be finished and that's one less rich stuck up kid to deal with.

Haha, power? Who cares? The TL outruns the 330 either way. Doesn't matter with power.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjkforever
it's always funny and amusing to see the reactions of people when young kids put up comments about how their parents are buying them a car...... just because you buy your kid a car doesn't mean that you are spoiling them......plus if they wanted to spoil a kid i dont think TL qualifies as a car to "spoil" a kid........look around......everyone i mean EVERYONE is driving a TL these days......anyway cathmag, if you are not BSing about your parents buying you a car, go with beammer.......too many TLs out there, plus TL model's gonna change this year.....good luck!
the TL model is going to change this year? dude what side of your ass did you pull that out of !?!?!?

refresh maybe, no HUGE change until a few years
Old 05-26-2006, 01:01 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Pain
They should get you this TL and have you work for the rest of it.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

If u really can get what you want, and u want a auto I would def go with the LExus IS350! Only reason I wouldnt buy a IS350 is because no manual, but if u like auto get the IS
Old 05-26-2006, 02:06 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

why is everyone hating on the kid, you know if you were his age and your parents said theyll buy you a car like that youd take it, i kno i wouldve
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 is too young for a TL... maybe a tsx...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I think this is where that bullet proof thread starts to sound very useful. My first car was a Bonneville and I've had a few minor hits on it...some off road and ice slipping experiences. I think the first car should be something that you won't feel bad scratching or bumping a little bit.

You know...like a hummer h2 or something. Or as the previous people said, something that you don't care to bump...meaning older.

and BTW, there is no such thing as a 335ic, it only comes as I.

either way, CONGRATS on having generous parents...and they'll be less generous if you wreck it, so go with auto transmission...and yoga lessons or something, on top of driving lessons.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude.....you may want to check the TSX, it is a fine machine!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Racer

hey if the kids parents are letting him get the tl let him. when i got my license at age 17 i got a brand new 2005 toyota 4runner sport edition. now at age 19 they purchased a 2006 tl. i think i earned these cars. things change while generations change. you cant say that when i was 17 i had a old civic or an old car. we understand, but back than it wasnt as easy as financing a car as it is today. Kids expectations are way too high these days, especially with all these reality shows like my sweet 16.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Instructor

I personally don't think a TL is a spoiled car. Something like a Boxter or a M3 would be called spoiled. I live in Richmond, BC (yes, in Canada) and there are more TLs and TSXs in the city than Civics. Heck, if you look more closely, I think there's more Bimmers out there than the Accords. If money is really not your factor, just buy something that you'll be proud of and will protect you from getting killed (ie: not so fast cars, bigger cars, more standard safety..so forth). I don't drive a TL, I drive a TSX right now (bought it myself), it is not a special car by any means around where I live, but I'm proud of having it....cause it suits me. Don't worry about the spoil part, just get something you know you'll enjoy, that's what you should be concerned about!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

I can't see giving a KID a present such as a $30-$40k car. It's almost like giving them a loaded gun. I live in Northern Va., in the past 4-5 years about 10-15 kids have died because they had cars they couldn't handle. From a Cadillac SUV to tuner cars to 70's and 80's muscle cars. I know someone can die from any KIND of car accident, but giving a KID a car that makes them feel invincible is something that I won't do for my son. Nor will I give or help him get an unsafe car.

Some of the post from the KIDS on this board say that they have EARNED their cars. I guess from doing good in school??? If that's the case, I can't tell from their posts. The grammar and spelling are very poor!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

I can't see giving a KID a present such as a $30-$40k car. It's almost like giving them a loaded gun. I live in Northern Va., in the past 4-5 years about 10-15 kids have died because they had cars they couldn't handle. From a Cadillac SUV to tuner cars to 70's and 80's muscle cars. I know someone can die from any KIND of car accident, but giving a KID a car that makes them feel invincible is something that I won't do for my son. Nor will I give or help him get an unsafe car.

Some of the post from the KIDS on this board say that they have EARNED their cars. I guess from doing good in school??? If that's the case, I can't tell from their posts. The grammar and spelling are very poor!!
easier to point out who your talking to rather than indirectly saying it
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe you should say... "mom & pops... I really do appreciate you offering me such a nice car, but I would rather help you not suffer with these payments. Maybe you can offer me something a bit realistic for someone my age."

This would blow away your parents and respect you more. Then say... "if you want me to be safe. I will just stay at home and be a good boy".
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

For an unexperienced driver, the understeer of a FWD car is going to be less dangerous than the oversteer potential of a RWD car. On that basis I would recommend the TL. I think a TSX is an ever better idea, given its lesser torque but superior handling and lighter steering.

My parents bought me a used Acura Legend when I was 16, for about $15k in today's dollars. They sold it when I went to college. Since then I have bought my own cars, including two more Legends, an Altima, an NSX, a 325i, an M3, and a 2004 TL/Navi/6MT.

I would highly recommend you consider a manual. I find automatics to be boring.

Drive both cars (and as many other models as you can find) before you make your choice.

There is nothing wrong with parents buying their children nice things, but the children should never forget the difference between their parents' money and their own. The parents may be well off, but the kid is usually jobless, broke and subject to the whims and mercy of their parents.

The best thing you can do as a 'spoiled' child is do your best to prove to everyone that you deserve the favor that your parents have bestowed upon you. Keep your car clean, drive it well and never forget that it is a privilege, not a right to have such nice things given to you.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I was wondering what you all think is the best car for someone at my age range?
You asked, so I think you should go out and get a job and buy your own car like I did. Honestly I'm glad I did, and it taught me a lot. You're are a spoiled kid, and there is no arguing that. Since I doubt you'll buy you own car, and your very nice Mammy and Daddy are going to spoil you, I'd take the Bimmer. I think that will help you achieve brat status easier, and make people think you'll cooler!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by imrantl
easier to point out who your talking to rather than indirectly saying it
You need to grow some thicker skin young one.

I didn't read all of the post about this subject, but did try and read most of the ones posted showing the age of late teens to early 20's. The spelling and grammar from most of these posts don't show doing well in school. You were not the only one.

But from age you learn tack, so I won't directly try and insult you. It was merely an observation, young one.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
[FONT=Tahoma]But from age you learn tack, so I won't directly try and insult you. It was merely an observation, young one.[FONT]
The word you are looking for is 'tact'.

I don't want to confuse the young ones . . .
Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Racer

lol i think we are getting these old farts heated up, maybe we should stop.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Parents having to make payments? What is that? hahaha..I thought they usually pay them all at once...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 AM

hey if the kids parents are letting him get the tl let him. when i got my license at age 17 i got a brand new 2005 toyota 4runner sport edition. now at age 19 they purchased a 2006 tl. i think i earned these cars. things change while generations change. you cant say that when i was 17 i had a old civic or an old car. we understand, but back than it wasnt as easy as financing a car as it is today. Kids expectations are way too high these days, especially with all these reality shows like my sweet 16.
earned it doing what?
unl;ess you have a job and pay the payments you aren't earning anything. thats just something being given to you because you are spoiled.

you sound like a moron talkig about how you see these things on TV so that meas you should have it. just because someone else has something you want doesn't mean you can have it too. Maybe when you grow up your realize things don't come for free
Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subinf
i'm sure everyone out there has stories about how hard life is and how much work they did for their first car. this isnt one of those, no one gives a shit about that in this thread. a 16 year old is getting either a TL or a BMW...putting him in a 1985 Ford isnt going to save his life when he slams into something (there are some exceptions obviously). A newer car has a much better chance of saving his ass and thats what his parents are putting him in.
Did you read my post or did you scan it? Did you say the same thing that I did? Just want to make sure because your reply did not make an ounce of sense. Reading is not that hard of a activity if you pay attention....
Old 05-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rbf351
earned it doing what?
unl;ess you have a job and pay the payments you aren't earning anything. thats just something being given to you because you are spoiled.

you sound like a moron talkig about how you see these things on TV so that meas you should have it. just because someone else has something you want doesn't mean you can have it too. Maybe when you grow up your realize things don't come for free
you seem to be the moron since you can not have these facts put through your thick head. back than there wasnt really reality shows on kids getting expensive cars for their birthdays. now we do have shows like that and therefore kids these days expect that. so maybe you should read it over and respond to me, and learn how to handle it on an adult level
Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 AM

you seem to be the moron since you can not have these facts put through your thick head. back than there wasnt really reality shows on kids getting expensive cars for their birthdays. now we do have shows like that and therefore kids these days expect that. so maybe you should read it over and respond to me, and learn how to handle it on an adult level

i clearly understand what you said, but that still does not justify you or anyone getting a car because you "earned" it. work a 9-5 job like the rest of us, then you can clearly say you earned it
Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
6speed NBP

I think the new bimmer coupe with the turbo is ugly the front is ok but the ass is just .
My parents gave me a choice too but it couldnt be too sporty of a car. I really wanted the S2000 .

So i came down to the bimmer 330 or the TL too but i went with the TL cause in my point of view so much sexier inside and out.
Plus it would cost me less since i have to take up the payment when i start working full time as a mechanic after i graduate from tech school

and guys really leave the parenting to his parents..... this guy is just asking for ur opinion on if he should get the TL or not.... stop the flame.... please
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
dont get me wrong, both the 330 and TL are nice cars, but some of you make it seem as though they are buying him a ferrari. its no big deal imo, if your parents are willing to buy you the car, good for you. $30K cars in my area for new drivers is almost the norm around me...i know for most indian kids it is at least...

Quick Reply: my parents letting me pick a car