Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New TL got Egged!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New TL got Egged!

I just bought a brand new TL two weeks ago, the first week while driving on the highway, a stone hit my windshield and caused two cracks; I got it sealed.
Just this morning I awoke to find my baby egged. When I washed the debris off, the paint came off with the cracked shells! Wtf. Why is Acura's paint so cheap? Two other cars in the neighborhood were egged, but their paint looks fine. What a way to break in the first 1000 miles . Deductible is 500, I doubt repaint is that much. What should I do guys?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
ThreeHR

you should find out who egg you guys and get them back!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
"Joe Cool"

Sorry to hear that.

Not much you can do!

1. Pay the deductable and get the car fixed.

2. Start parking it in the garage.

(or if you don't have a garage......)

3. Move to place with a garage or a neighborhood where they don't egg cars.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Since it is brand new, the paint is probably still curing.
Even if the paint was cured, the enzymes in the egg eat the paint, so it depends on how long you left it on there.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by acuraTL44
Since it is brand new, the paint is probably still curing.
Even if the paint was cured, the enzymes in the egg eat the paint, so it depends on how long you left it on there.
No, the paint is "baked" at the factory. It doesn't need time to cure.

Yeah, you have to remove the egg immediately, otherwise it'll do some horrifying damage... as you now know. The only way is to get it re-painted, unfortunately.

It's not just Acura paint... go try it on a different car if you don't believe me.

Sorry to hear about it though - hope the body shop does a good job matching the paint.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
make sure u get a level 3 paint job if ur doing things through insurance.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:10 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of years ago apparently the EPA mandated that all car paints would have a reduced amount of lead (im pretty sure it was lead) or it might have been No lead... anyway, this has made the paint a little 'softer' hence making it more prone to scratches and chips. if something gets on or hits your car that is enough to get through the clearcoat then the paint will get damaged.. this is true of all new cars.....
Old 11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ndx2
It's not just Acura paint... go try it on a different car if you don't believe me.
It was probably some Chevy or Ford owner already doing the "trying it on a different car" on an upscale Acura to see what happens..

I had a relatively new '90 Thunderbird SC in the early 90's that an "on/off girlfriend" egged (when we were in "off" mode). Luckily for me, I heard it happen, saw them speed away, and immediately got my bucket of soapy hot water to clean it up. Even getting to it that quickly, the egg was difficult to get off (lots of it had settled in the gap between the rear quarter panel and the rear bumper )

Find out who did it and put baloney slices all over their car (not sure if that even works... something I heard)... give them the polka-dot look!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
It was probably some Chevy or Ford owner already doing the "trying it on a different car" on an upscale Acura to see what happens..

I had a relatively new '90 Thunderbird SC in the early 90's that an "on/off girlfriend" egged (when we were in "off" mode). Luckily for me, I heard it happen, saw them speed away, and immediately got my bucket of soapy hot water to clean it up. Even getting to it that quickly, the egg was difficult to get off (lots of it had settled in the gap between the rear quarter panel and the rear bumper )

Find out who did it and put baloney slices all over their car (not sure if that even works... something I heard)... give them the polka-dot look!

Did you get the egger back in any way?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Racer

I guess I should be grateful then that when my Z got egged, the only thing that happened is where ever there was egg, the paint was slightly darker. I rather that then no paint.

Some people have no respect for things...
Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Snax

That sucks!
If I caught those guys I would crack their heads and scramble their brains so they oozed out on the sidewalk. Then I would flip them over-easy and fry them. If they poached my car again, I would whip and beat them until their eyes oozed yellow and they had a sunny side up look on their face. If that did not work you could fry them. Or they might just evaporate into powder. Either way, do it carefully so you don't wind up with yoke on your face.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
This is why I'm thankful to have a garage.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
Did you get the egger back in any way?
Ended up dating her best friend for the next 2 1/2 years.

As far as I know, they still don't talk.. That's payback enough..
Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
It doesn't work...someone tried that on my first car...they were on there for almost 12 hours before I saw them...no paint damage whatsoever.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by chill_dog
It doesn't work...someone tried that on my first car...they were on there for almost 12 hours before I saw them...no paint damage whatsoever.
Good to know.... Now, sugar in the tank... that's different....
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cure time...

No, the paint is "baked" at the factory. It doesn't need time to cure.
Wrongo...

The paint is "baked" at the factory, but that doesn't fully cure the paint. It takes
several months for the paint to fully cure and harden. The time varies by paint process used.

Ever wonder why it is that when you wash a new car that HASN'T had any sealants, etc. done to the finish water still beads up? That's because the solvents, oils and such are still curing out of the paint.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
"Joe Cool"

I don't really agree with this comment, since I own both a TL and a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT. (and a 94 Integra)

I love the TL and it is a notch above many other cars.

But I hardly think Chevy owners have some Vendetta against TLs or Acuras in general.

My Suburban is stacked to the rafters with options and as Ripley would say,
"Believe it or not"......I have never had any problems with it.
It has Onstar and Concierge service and I can use the car itself as phone, which is actually like a lazy man's NAVI and Bluetooth.

I only bought it over the MDX because of the SIZE and Power.
So, please give us " not so upscale" Chevy owners a break.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Ended up dating her best friend for the next 2 1/2 years.

As far as I know, they still don't talk.. That's payback enough..
lol yeah that should do it
Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
lol yeah that should do it
After I wrote that I thought about it.. I'm pretty sure the "egg-incident" happened BECAUSE of the whole doing-your-best-friend-while-we're-suppose-to-be-together thing.. After that, I had the best friend only.. Until I went to college. I've since learned my lesson and settled down
Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
I don't really agree with this comment, since I own both a TL and a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT. (and a 94 Integra)

I love the TL and it is a notch above many other cars.

But I hardly think Chevy owners have some Vendetta against TLs or Acuras in general.
I really didn't mean it that way.. meant it more as a joke.

My neighbor has a 2002 as well. That thing is a mean beast.. We usually take that out when all the neighborhood husbands can escape from our wives for a few hours on the weekend and act like kids again. The 'Burb can handle anything we throw at it..

How about I change it to Jeep as I have one and think the paint is pretty crappy?
Didn't mean to about Chevy/Ford.. just had to pick a make..
Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am curious why nobody has said yet

But, sorry to hear about that, you will probably just have to have it repainted. I would call around and find a reputable shop to do the work - perhaps call your dealer and find out who they used. I had my TSX hood repainted by the dealer body shop and they did a damn good job. Sadly just a few weeks after that the TSX died.