3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, if you paid the fine by mail you have in effect, "Plead guilty, and agreed to the terms of your ticket." Sorry, I guess I was a little late with my reponse. Ohh well, next time you know how to get out of the points.

As someone noted earlier in this thread, everyone speeds, just be smart about it! Be safe!! Its OK to end up hurting or killing yourself because you have made the decision to speed, just remember that the people you kill/hurt did'nt.

I feel like a really big ner d after typing that!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say go to court and see if you can plead to a lower charge. Since you're a teenager with this being your first offense, they may go easy on you and waive the points.

The others saying you shouldn't have a nice car are just jealous. Whether or not you deserve the car is between you and your parents. There will always be those that tell you that you should know the value of the money and that you should earn your own rewards. Personally, I hope you're paying the insurance at least.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Don't Panic

I would recommend you take the advice of others who said to hire an attorney if you can afford it. That can save you a lot of time running around attending hearings, arraignment, and/or trial.

I am not an attorney, and in no way feel that I am prepared to give legal advice. The following is just what I have learned by going through the traffic court system.

In Miami-Dade County it works like this:

--I send the ticket back with a plea of not guilty and requesting a trial
--The county clerk's office responds with a notice to appear before a hearing officer which tries to convince me to not go to trial
--Their tactic is to scare me into thinking I can get a better deal by pleading no contest and pay court costs, and sometimes they include other requirements like driving school. I say no and continue to trial

--At trial:

If the police officer doesn't show up, the ticket gets thrown out

or

If the officer does show up, I change my plea to no contest. This usually results in court costs (could vary depending on the judges mood) and no points.

This has been my experience here in Miami. The process might be different elsewhere, so please do some research if you plan on handling this yourself. It will be worth fighting it, preferably with the help of an attorney. If anything, you will learn how the system works and learn how to manipulate it next time (hopefully there won't be a next time).
Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
am i suppose to go to court anyways? i already sent in the money for the fine, but do i have to go to court if i "plea guilty"?
Damn you fucked up man. You should never plead guilty to a ticket. I got caught at 18 doing 75 in a 45, then two months later I got hit with a 68 in a 45. Went to court both times and it's pretty much exactly like what IHmike said. I showed up early, dressed nice, and sat in a waiting area until the cop showed up. Each cop bargained with me both times, probably something like 10MPH over and no points. However, the court cost was just as much as the ticket, not $30! I ended up paying like $300 each time, about half was court costs.
Anyway, you got your first ticket, no big deal. As you get more experience behind the wheel, you'll learn to speed safely. Until that time, watch your speed and watch for cops(and potential spots they may be hiding). And NEVER plead guilty to another ticket!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:24 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try to make this short and sweet... but anyone who has seen my other posts knows that is hard for me to do but, i know A LOT about this topic, but for the state of Florida ONLY.
I lived in Florida until I was 22.
From the time I was 16 until I was about 20, I got 15 tickets (not a typo).

I never once came close to losing my license.... the reason is.... I took it to court and plead "no contest"

But.... here is the thing... evidently, states vary on their processes. But, In Florida, you could plea no contest every single time, and the result would always be "adjudication withheld" all the time... the judges would "make me" go to traffic school most of the time, either the 4 hour class in most cases, or one time, a 12 hour class (8 hours on sat, 4 hour on Sunday). I got a passport 8500 when it came out, and I have only had one ticket since... but granted, i have also slowed down greatly in the past 3 years or so.... But… anyhow, in Florida, you could either... 1) enter a guilty plea and just pay the fine at a tax collector's office... which means you got “points" and it went "on your record". Or 2) ELECT to take it to traffic school, which means no points, and not on your record… or 3) take it to court.
If you go to court, the first court date that is set is just an arraignment... just asking how you plea... there will usually be 30ish people in there.... you can then plea guilty (you might as well have just paid the fine at the tax office). You can also plea not guilty, in which case, the court "assistants" (sometimes cops) will say "are you sure you want to do this? Pleading guilty usually ends up in a guilty verdict by the judge" (if you do plea guilty, you would then be issued a trial date, the cop will be subpoenaed, etc.). The third plea, "no contest", which they practically BEG you to take, in all 15ish times I saw anyhow, the judge said something like this... "For all of you who plead no contest today, I have chosen to accept your plea of no contest, and depending on your record, I will either require you to pay court fees, or require court fees in addition to attendance of traffic school, but in all cases today, i have chosen to withhold adjudication of this offense on your record if you plea no contest...”

Note I did say "elect" to go to school was one of the options when you went to the tax collector's office... i say "elect" because... you could only "elect" to go to school once in a 12month period, AND only 5 times in your life.... and you had to sign to the truth of these statements... whether or not they keep track of it, is up in the air... HOWEVER, if you go to court and plea "No Contest" and the judge requires you to go to school, it does NOT count as one of those 5 times (or once in 12 months), b/c you are not "electing" to go to school, you are being "mandated" to go (which, btw, (in Florida at least), the class can be done over the internet... at least for the 4 hour course can be... what a joke... sitting around your computer, drinking a beer and taking a driver improvement course... which btw you don’t even have to do 4 hours in one sitting, you can break it up, and you can just minimize the webpage with their java based counter, and come back to it later and you would have ‘been on that page’ for the required time period).

Anyhow... like someone else said... getting off lighter on tickets almost seems like just paying your way out of them... b/c in all the tickets i had, i never got any "points" but almost all of them, the court fees i had to pay were HIGHER than the original fine would have been... sometimes just $20 higher, sometimes $100 higher. But the point is, i got 15 tickets, ranging from 5 over, to 31 over, a careless driving ticket or two, and then even one reckless driving ticket. But, also, different cities/states vary on how strict they are, and how many cops there are... in Jacksonville, you couldn’t go more than 3 miles from your house without seeing a cop... here in Wichita, Kansas (pop ~400,000) Sometimes I'll go for a week without seeing one.... But that brings me to my next topic....

I did just recently get a ticket here in Wichita. Here, things seem to be a bit different... pleading no contest seems to actually have the same end result as just paying the ticket and taking the "points" against your license. However, here they have something called a "diversion" which is... you basically go 6 months without getting another ticket, and the original ticket is 'removed' from your record... but i think you can only do a diversion once in a two year period... but, if during that 6 month diversion period, you get another ticket, then you are "removed" from the diversion "program" and you get the first ticket, and then the second, both you your record. But also, I do know that when I was in the courthouse taking the "diversion" option, instead of the diversion, some people were getting their tickets reduced to "inattentive driving" instead of speeding, which is a lesser offense, but still an offense on your record that insurance could see. By the way, I do know for a fact that all those “adjudication withheld” rulings in Florida, are not "on my record" (at least on my record as ‘convictions’ ) b/c i had very cheap rates in Florida, and here in KS, my 5 yr driving record, including Florida records, is clean).

So like i said.... it seems to vary state to state what the best way "Around" a ticket is, other than of course just to obey all traffic rules...

Again, i apologize for the lengthy post....
Old 06-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
As someone else mentioned, since you paid the ticket, you're done. However, you should keep the advice given here in mind next time. Hire a lawyer, wear a suit, be polite (be VERY polite to the cop when you're pulled, too). I had 34 over AND reckless driving reduced to just reckless (my choice, plead to 34 over or reckless), which I then went to driving school for...stay clean for 3 years, and it all goes away (Prayer for Judgement Continuace in NC). Cost $300 for the lawyer and $100 court costs (set in NC, by county)...driving school was $70 or something. Bottom line, ALWAYS fight a ticket.

By the way, wasn't trying to flame you before for having a TL...don't care what people's parents buy them...don't care if at 17 you bought it yourself...point of the comment was if you can afford a TL, you should be able to afford a ticket...if you can't afford a ticket, either drive much more slowly or get a Yugo that has no chance of causing you to get a ticket.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
B A N N E D

No, in NJ they will just reschedule the court date....

--At trial:

If the police officer doesn't show up, the ticket gets thrown out

or

If the officer does show up, I change my plea to no contest. This usually results in court costs (could vary depending on the judges mood) and no points.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
2006 RL Carbon Gray/Ebony

Originally Posted by IHmike345
For once I have to disagree with almost everything posted in this thread. I am also from NJ and have a good amount of experience in traffic court. I guess it is just a lot different across all the states.

I am gonna try to keep this short...but here is the best way for you to minimize the chance for ANY points on your license. Don't get a lawyer!!! This would be a big waste of money for this lower end violation. Here is a what you do. Arrive at the court at least a half an hour before the start of court. (make sure that you have called the number on the ticket and find out when your actual date is). Your goal at this point is to find the prosecutor. Depending on the size of the municipality, there will probably be a group of people and lawyers around him. He will be talking to everyone and most likely offering to "plea" or lower your charge.

I can almost GAURANtEE that you will at the very least be offered a deal that will get it down to 2 points. He will probably give you options, though. Apparently in NJ now, most of the townships realize that they will fine you ALOT more money and reduce the points, because they will rather have the money for the town instead of giving it to the insurance co. The prosecutor will tell you how to plea, do most of the talking to the judge, and inform you how to answer all of the judges questions.

Dress nice! At the very least where a button up collared shirt and slacks, suit and tie will work too. You CAN'T overdress at court. Be very polite too!

I think if they are willing to reduce the charges, you can expect to pay about about $215 per each 2 points plus about $30 court costs. So if they drop it down to a no point violation expect to be paying about $460! This seems expensive at the time, but will save you much more in insurance at the long run.

I promise that this will most likely be true in your town. May be a little different since you are young(but I doubt it!) . If you are nervous or dont believe me, then GO to that traffic court a couple weeks before your court date and you will witness EXACTLY what I have described. You will be amazed at how easy it is to get the points dropped for a bigger fine.
Listen to this guy...this is exactly the way it works. I know the road well that you got tagged on. If you were in Morris Township, they will drop 2 points max off the ticket. My wife just got one. When we showed up to court, we actually knew the prosecuter. Still, he said the policy in that town was to only lower by 2 points. It could not have been easier.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Unshunned

Get rid of the radar detector, it obviously gives you a false sense of security and even more obviously doesn't work against your local cops radar/laser.

Every speeding ticket I ever got was when I had a detector, nothing good ever comes from having one. A keen eye for where the cops sit, how traffic is flowing, and what to say if you DO get pulled over will get you outta more tickets than a detector, I promise you that.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lbfcpa
Listen to this guy...this is exactly the way it works. I know the road well that you got tagged on. If you were in Morris Township, they will drop 2 points max off the ticket. My wife just got one. When we showed up to court, we actually knew the prosecuter. Still, he said the policy in that town was to only lower by 2 points. It could not have been easier.

When I went in for my ticket it was the same... I was polite and they immediately dropped the fine to 1/2. But then I pulled out some other evidence stating that the road had no posted speed as the ticket stated and it was a bad traffic stop. They asked when was the last time I was pulled over and when I told them 1988, they had that information there and told me the exact date.

I also was there early enough to talk to a UPS driver who was there for speeding. They told me that they have to run the routes in a certain amount of time or they get hassled. Anyway, they said it is easier to come in and spend the hour to see the clerk magistrate since they always reduce the ticket by about half.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Yup.. NJ court plea bargain big time... I've gotten a ticket for not yielding to pedestrian at New Brunswick Campus of Rutgers... but it was still moving violation and it came with 2 pts.. so I contested at the court and they gave me something else without pts but more money... it's just how NJ is... so go fight it.. or beg or plea... just don't get insurance pts... cuz it's not just the higher insurance.. you will also get billed for INSURANCE SURCHARGE....

Oh and I assume you live at home.. since you are 17 or have insurance policy under your parents'.... I bet your parents are F'kin pissed......
Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

I've gotten one ticket after i've been driving for 3 years. The only ticket I got happened back in March. It was around 7-8 pm and traffic on this street that I was taking home was pretty heavy, so I decided to take a side street in a residential area that I had only driven through once during the day that seemed to get me to the street i needed to get to quicker. The street has a lot of twists and turns that connect to other streets, which makes it very easy to get lost if you dont live there (it's that difficult). When I made the turn to go on this road, i noticed there were no street lights, I had no idea this street was like this so i sort of started to get uptight about where to go with so little light. I was zooming up to the stop signs pretty quick. Then in this long section before another stop sign, I gassed it extra long this time. I come up to the stop sign and look in my rearview mirror and see the cop with his lights on on my tail. With the roads not being straight and it being very dark where you could hardly see anything, it makes for a good place for police to hide to bust people. So I got busted for going 39 in 25, I certainly could not have been going 39 for very much more than a couple seconds. Nothing I could do to get out of this; the cop gave me no time to explain. This guy was obviously out to get people, because as soon as he was done with me, he ran off and busted someone else seconds later lol. So right now i'm taking a defensiving driving course online, and then that'll get it wiped off the record.

I got pulled over only one other time before, when I just got my license. I passed a school bus with it's stop sign out going the opposite direction that the bus was facing. I never even saw the sign out. The cop gave me a break because I was a new driver.

Just a few days ago I was driving with my friend on this road that has an unusually low speed limit of 25 mph, it wasn't a residential area, just the roads are narrow and have some sharp turns. I was talking, not paying attention of my speed or speed limits that much because I've driven down the road quite often, then I look in my mirror and see behind the car behind me was a cop car! I must have been going about 40 mph, but the cop never pulled me over, even though everyone behind me was creeping along at 25 mph because the cop was right there. Guess I just got lucky.

I've learned the worst time to speed is late at night/early in the morning when traffic is light because you become an easy target. It's the most common time that police are out looking to nab people, for obvious reasons...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TomTLR
I've gotten one ticket after i've been driving for 3 years. The only ticket I got happened back in March. It was around 7-8 pm and traffic on this street that I was taking home was pretty heavy, so I decided to take a side street in a residential area that I had only driven through once during the day that seemed to get me to the street i needed to get to quicker. The street has a lot of twists and turns that connect to other streets, which makes it very easy to get lost if you dont live there (it's that difficult). When I made the turn to go on this road, i noticed there were no street lights, I had no idea this street was like this so i sort of started to get uptight about where to go with so little light. I was zooming up to the stop signs pretty quick. Then in this long section before another stop sign, I gassed it extra long this time. I come up to the stop sign and look in my rearview mirror and see the cop with his lights on on my tail. With the roads not being straight and it being very dark where you could hardly see anything, it makes for a good place for police to hide to bust people. So I got busted for going 39 in 25, I certainly could not have been going 39 for very much more than a couple seconds. Nothing I could do to get out of this; the cop gave me no time to explain. This guy was obviously out to get people, because as soon as he was done with me, he ran off and busted someone else seconds later lol. So right now i'm taking a defensiving driving course online, and then that'll get it wiped off the record.

I got pulled over only one other time before, when I just got my license. I passed a school bus with it's stop sign out going the opposite direction that the bus was facing. I never even saw the sign out. The cop gave me a break because I was a new driver.

Just a few days ago I was driving with my friend on this road that has an unusually low speed limit of 25 mph, it wasn't a residential area, just the roads are narrow and have some sharp turns. I was talking, not paying attention of my speed or speed limits that much because I've driven down the road quite often, then I look in my mirror and see behind the car behind me was a cop car! I must have been going about 40 mph, but the cop never pulled me over, even though everyone behind me was creeping along at 25 mph because the cop was right there. Guess I just got lucky.

I've learned the worst time to speed is late at night/early in the morning when traffic is light because you become an easy target. It's the most common time that police are out looking to nab people, for obvious reasons...
That cop just wanted to write tickets, I hate when they do crap like that. But I suppose speeding laws are stricter in residental areas.

I remember one time a few years ago i was on the highway, and I was behind this car about 3 or 4 car lengths. as soon as the guy in front of me sees the cop on the side of the road he slams his brakes, naturally after he slammed his brakes, I got closer to him, (about 2 car lengths back) as we passed the cop I lowered my speed to try to maintain a safe distance again, but it was too late, the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for following too closely. I went to court and pleaded not guilty and on my next court date that asshole cop didn't even show up so I got off!