Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Oil Change on my TL @ 1100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Oil Change on my TL @ 1100 miles

I want to feed my TL fresh nourshiments early. I called up the Acura Service Department and made an appointment for an oil change. It's a free complimentary oil change.. I requested a full synthetic oil so I'll be paying the difference. Oooooooo my TL's gonna love it

I checked with the technician and they say they use standard oil on the brand new TL's. So I think I should flush that out and put a nice oil.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I would go with a regular "free"oil this time- until the next change in another few thousand miles. All the metal parts take time to mate and synthetic inhibits that very action.
After that, do not let the dealer do anything except warranty repairs to your car. Use your paper phone book to find an Acura specialty shop.
the oil change is an easy do at home project, where you can use the best oil and filter- not the cheapest a place can buy in quantity.
I like K&N filters for the air and oil, and oil depends on if a track day is involved. the really good stuff is Redline but most people balk at 9 bucks a qt and use Mobil or Quaker State, both good as well.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I would go with a regular "free"oil this time- until the next change in another few thousand miles. All the metal parts take time to mate and synthetic inhibits that very action.
After that, do not let the dealer do anything except warranty repairs to your car. Use your paper phone book to find an Acura specialty shop.
the oil change is an easy do at home project, where you can use the best oil and filter- not the cheapest a place can buy in quantity.
I like K&N filters for the air and oil, and oil depends on if a track day is involved. the really good stuff is Redline but most people balk at 9 bucks a qt and use Mobil or Quaker State, both good as well.
yeah i agree, do the oil change yourself. it is real simple, and you get the best products for less money.

i use the mobil clean 5000 oil and mobil extend life double pass filter. good stuff.

i wouldn't change over to synthetic either.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
BTW, what is the official K&N part number for the TL's oil filter?
what is better, mobil extended performance or K&N?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
You may want to do some more research on this proposed oil change. there is tons of information available on the subject. most agree that acura recommends keeping the original fill oil in the vehicle for the time period that they do because it has a special moly lube additive that they want in there during this break in period. Many people including myself had no intention of leaving the original fill oil in for the 7500 miles so we changed it out at various milages, 3K myself, but we added a moly oil additive package to maintain the oil chemistry that the acura engineers wanted. The only reason that you would want to go to a synthetic, at a later date, would be if you planned on going for 7500+ mile OCI. Dino oil is perfectly fine especially if your on a 3500 mile OCI. search is your friend, this topic is covered extensively.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

hey pohljm, where can I get this moly additive? Should I add it on myself after I have the dealer oil changed(regular oil)? The dealers don't use oil with those additives, don't they.

Is moly oil additive really necessary? I thought the seating is already done at upto 600 miles on a new vehicle.. no?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

You can get it at any reputable auto parts store, but you will need to have them add it when they do the fill or you will have to much oil in your crankase.

I dont think there are to many people here who are qualified to answer the "is it really necessary" question. The idea is that if you feel it necessary to replace the initial fill oil at an earlier time than the acura engineers have specified then at least replace it with oil that has the additives that they had intended to be in the motor for that duration. I am sure that hundreds of people have done no such thing, it is just an attempt keep within the engineers specs.

If your car is leased or you intend to sell it in a few years I am sure it wont matter. There are volumes written on exactly this subject by petroleum engineers. search is your friend. The way I figure it I tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. So whats 4$ in the grand scheme of things.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

Alright thanks...
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by meowCat
Alright thanks...
Oh yeah, the product that was recommended to be used was Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pohljm
Oh yeah, the product that was recommended to be used was Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
oh.... cool! that's what I used to use on my Infiniti G20 5spd MT. I am a good customer at Valvoline. I will surely get that on the TL... But isn't this to be applied for every 15,000 miles though? Should I do it at every 15k?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ no the intent is to just use this additive for the duration that they wanted the initial fill oil to remain in the motor, or 7500 miles. Then just straight oil thereafter